tempFileForShare_20240418-181612 (resized).jpg
dirtbag-sees-all (resized).jpg
brimstone-gotbrim.gif
200w.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
436537586_10224867727456020_9063380137916814163_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 75,679 posts in this topic. You are on page 259 of 1,514.
#12901 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I just see playaction working too well when it's Eli to whatshisname behind that line.

Golden Tate

Listen, I'm not a NYG fan by any means. But, if they get a solid D they have enough O talent to win some games. I also am not a fan of Eli - way overrated. They need to draft a QB and start phasing that dude out.

#12902 5 years ago

Olden Tate is on the downside of his career and there's no way on Earth he's good enough to make Eli look good at this stage of the game.

$23 million guaranteed huh?

Strange move for a rebuilding team. Why not just Pay OBJ?

#12903 5 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

7-1 odds to go to the SB
14-1 to win it all
But don't worry, you guys got Andy Dalton, and THAT is quite comical.

Hey i agree with you 100% so no need to try and make me look bad lol. Now if i can just get you to agree that your team sucks also we would all be good. The Browns will always be the Browns even if they do win a few games, and Mayfield will always be a douche bag asshole and Beckham will always be a cancer to any team he plays on.

#12904 5 years ago

Everyone seems to know the Giants are rebuilding except the Giants front office.

#12905 5 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

7-1 odds to go to the SB
14-1 to win it all
But don't worry, you guys got Andy Dalton, and THAT is quite comical.

Those odds are largely set based on where the public is expected to put their money. The Browns are suddenly the darling of the NFL. The hilarity comes in when every fan thinks they're the only one that sees it, and they can bet on the "dark horse" to win it all. At 14-1? No thank you. Let's not forget they have a brand new HC and some of the biggest personalities of any team to wrangle. Those odds are flat out bad.

#12906 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Those odds are flat out bad.

Yeah, what do those bums in Vegas know anyway? From now on, if I want my gambling info I'm going to the one place where it just makes sense: a website dedicated to pinball.

#12907 5 years ago

Eight games for Hunt. No appeal. Says he respects their decision.

Fresh legs for the second half of the season!

#12908 5 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Yeah, what do those bums in Vegas know anyway? From now on, if I want my gambling info I'm going to the one place where it just makes sense: a website dedicated to pinball.

You're not getting it - read it again. The oddsmakers DO know what they are doing, just not in the way people may think. The Browns odds are bad, and they can set them that way because people are still going to put their money there.

If you could get a candid conversation with an oddsmaker, I'm sure they'd tell you that those odds are lower than they should be. But, why would they give you 25-1 when you'll take them at 14-1?

#12909 5 years ago

Foles to Jacksonville. He’s going to need more weapons and targets to actually throw to if he’s going to succeed there.

#12910 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Foles to Jacksonville. He’s going to need more weapons and targets to actually throw to if he’s going to succeed there.

I think hell do ok there. I’ve been super impressed by him the last two seasons.

#12911 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think hell do ok there. I’ve been super impressed by him the last two seasons.

Who's he throwing to again? I like Foles but he's screwed.

#12912 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Who's he throwing to again? I like Foles but he's screwed.

it's hard to judge the Jags receivers fairly given who they were saddled with.

I wish o-din hadnt taken his ball and gone home. Id like the opinion of a fins fan on the end of Tannehill and a possible tank season

#12913 5 years ago

*chills*

#12914 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

it's hard to judge the Jags receivers fairly given who they were saddled with.
I wish o-din hadnt taken his ball and gone home. Id like the opinion of a fins fan on the end of Tannehill and a possible tank season

What's your take? It wasnt a move I was expecting the Titans to make. Who do you perceive to be your starter?

#12915 5 years ago

What's your take? It wasnt a move I was expecting the Titans to make. Who do you perceive to be your starter?

I like it a lot. The Titans had Gabbert at backup, and this is a significant upgrade for basically a 2020 4th round pick. When your starter is Mariota, backup QB is a critical position!

They made it clear Mariota will definitely be the starter. But this is a great opportunity for Tannehill. With Mariota's injuries, Tannehill will almost certainly get meaningful reps and the Titans GM didn't draft Mariota. TBH I think it's just as likely for Tannehill to be the QB in 2020 as Mariota. Probably moreso.

#12916 5 years ago

All this talk....we all know it's the Bucs and Famous Jameis winning it all this year!

1 week later
#12918 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Rule change approved by a vote of 31 to 1. Only one team voted against the change (the Bengals).

This is going to end badly, typical NFL knee jerk reaction.

#12919 5 years ago

Now games will be 3-1/2 hours long

#12920 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

Yep, it already takes several minutes to overturn obvious calls. Pass interference is not always clear cut like the missed call in the playoffs.

#12921 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

I'm just not sure there's another solution. Nothing is worse than obviously blown calls. When there's a call (or no call) on the field and millions of people know it because they are watching on TV it's bad for the sport.

How many "I'm done with the NFL!!!!" posts did we see here after the Rams stole that game?

It's probably time to get rid of kickoffs altogether, that'll help balance it out time wise. They are almost all touchbacks now anyway and I don't remember the last time I saw an exciting kick return.

#12922 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm just not sure there's another solution. Nothing is worse than obviously blown calls. When there's a call (or no call) on the field and millions of people know it because they are watching on TV it's bad for the sport.
How many "I'm done with the NFL!!!!" posts did we see here after the Rams stole that game?
It's probably time to get rid of kickoffs altogether, that'll help balance it out time wise. They are almost all touchbacks now anyway and I don't remember the last time I saw an exciting kick return.

tbh, since they changed the kickoff rule which severely limits onside kicks, the kickoff is pretty pointless. No more flying wedge and move the kickoff up? It's become more ceremonial than anything else at this point.

#12923 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

They aren't already?

#12924 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

tbh, since they changed the kickoff rule which severely limits onside kicks, the kickoff is pretty pointless. No more flying wedge and move the kickoff up? It's become more ceremonial than anything else at this point.

Right. And alternatives for onside kicks (which almost ALWAYS fail now) have been discussed. Give the team a 4th and 15 play from their own 35 and if they get it they keep the ball. Would certainly make it more interesting.

#12925 5 years ago

It amazes me the NY NFL office that supposedly watches each game live with officials, can't pick up a red phone and overturn such a major error as was made in the Saints/Rams game. Replay on pass interference is not the right call here as it can be subjective at times. Should they replay holding calls too? (happens EVERY play).

There had to be a better answer. Ugh.

#12926 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

It amazes me the NY NFL office that supposedly watches each game live with officials, can't pick up a red phone and overturn such a major error as was made in the Saints/Rams game. Replay on pass interference is not the right call here as it can be subjective at times. Should they replay holding calls too? (happens EVERY play).
There had to be a better answer. Ugh.

Well what do you want them to do? Red phone or not if it's not in the rules it can't happen. And you can't just have a "red phone rule" where some guy in NYC (even if it's me!) calls in to disrupt a game and overturn a call. Can you imagine the outrage when that happens? And when it doesn't?!

"Tom Brady ALWAYS get's the red phone call in his favor while my team always gets screwed!!!!!"

I'd think at some point soon you'll see experimental review on personal foul calls as well. The action is too fast, and the results of these flags are too drastic.

#12927 5 years ago

I wonder how the last two minutes are going to work. No coaches challenges; so is every pass play going to be booth reviewed for OPI and DPI? Can't see how that would add to anyone's enjoyment of the game

Also, if the final replay call is made in NYC what's the point of having the head referee go the sideline and pretend to stare at a screen? Just give him the answer and move on.

#12928 5 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Also, if the final replay call is made in NYC what's the point of having the head referee go the sideline and pretend to stare at a screen? Just give him the answer and move on.

It allows time for Bill's Venmo payment to be received and approved by the league.

thOPKKDA01 (resized).jpgthOPKKDA01 (resized).jpg
#12929 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Right. And alternatives for onside kicks (which almost ALWAYS fail now) have been discussed. Give the team a 4th and 15 play from their own 35 and if they get it they keep the ball. Would certainly make it more interesting.

Seems super Arena-ish and unfairly prioritizes QBs over the rest of the team in a league that already went to that extreme. An onside kick should be ridiculously hard to achieve. It's a gimmick, a stunt. I would guess a top QB may convert this situation 30% of the time and it that devalues what happened in the previous 58 minutes of play. So I fully expect this to be a rule at some point

#12930 5 years ago

Hows the new football league coming along? Did it tank yet or is it gaining popularity?

#12931 5 years ago

I was excited as anyone for the AAF. I watched every game the first 2 weeks. I updated my cable pack shortly after that, and no longer get CBS sports or NFL Network. I was never going to clear my calendar to watch, but even a minimal barrier such as having to look into alternate viewing options kept me from finding the games.

I watched this past weekend. I watched the last 5 minutes of a game and it took a legit 35 minutes. It seemed as though the refs had a vendetta, and called EVERYTHING in those last 5 minutes. It was absolutely brutal to watch.

I'll try to keep an eye out for games this coming weekend. The guys on the field are certainly showing some passion. I'm hoping for some fun viewing when their playoffs roll around.

#12932 5 years ago

I only got to watch the Saturday night and Sunday afternoon games this week and they both sucked. Final score of the one game was 8-3.

Kind of losing interest since the majority investor threatened to shut the league down. Plus it's baseball season.

#12933 5 years ago

I've watched a few games over the past month and I haven't been impressed at all. The AAF is suffering from the same thing the XFL did, lack of talent at the skill positions. I'll continue watching if a game is on and I have nothing else to do, but it's just not all that good of football.

#12934 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

lack of talent at the skill positions

AAF QBs: overthrowing or throwing behind the receivers

AAF WRs: can't catch the damn ball

AAF RBs: can't get through the hole and get stopped at the line of scrimmage

AAF Punters: League MVPs

#12935 5 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#12937 5 years ago

I didn’t know a single person who was paying any attention to AAF.

Why do they keep doing this?

XFL will fail also. Again.

#12938 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I didn’t know a single person who was paying any attention to AAF.

So what? 469K tuned in to last Saturday's game on TNT.

#12939 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

The series finale, as it turns out!

#12940 5 years ago

I sure hope the Hawks don't fuck this up buy not signing Wilson...

#12941 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

Lmao

Is that supposed to be a lot?

Its just so weird to me that a guy who made a movie about the failure of the XFL and saw his dad fail miserably with the XFL has this takeaway: wow - a bad pro football league is a great idea!

In the end all we remember about XFL was He Hate Me. AAF doesn’t even have that.

I guess the brief revival of spurriers career is what I’ll remember. And hey I guess he’s the champ by default, best record in AAF history.

#12942 5 years ago

Who could have foreseen such a turn of events? Oh, almost everyone here. Any business that is ready to go tits up unless they secure additional funding a few weeks in isn’t ever going to last long. It had no hope.

#12943 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

a bad pro football league is a great idea!

Isn't that pretty much what we have right now?

#12944 5 years ago

I enjoyed this "What happened in Green Bay" article on B-R. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

Seems that a number of people close to the team feel it will be an epic waste if Rodgers ends up with just 1 superbowl. I tend to agree. Some think Rodgers is a dickhead (Jennings!). Debatable if that's a detriment IMO. And many think McCarthy was terrible.

This quote made me laugh:

And if Rodgers isn't Brady as a leader, McCarthy sure as hell never managed like Bill Belichick. Whereas Belichick despises the limelight and "removes himself" every way he can, this player says McCarthy loved anointing himself as a quarterback guru. The coach often bragged to players about his time with Joe Montana...in Kansas City.

"He tried to bill himself as this quarterback master," the player says. "It was like, 'Buddy, I just want to let you know, Joe Montana did a lot more before he was in Kansas City.'"

#12945 5 years ago

Yeah, a nice glimpse into our dysfunction. Most of us blame Mark Murphy (still at the helm) for letting Thompson continue despite clear health issues. He's too involved in football ops now, he wants to be an owner, and has taken control by making GM and Coach both his direct reports.

#12946 5 years ago

So this is nice...former AAF players fucked on medical, hotel costs. Vendors unpaid. Total fiasco for everybody involved except the three rich people who hatched the plan.

Classy shit league Ebersol!

https://deadspin.com/the-aafs-sudden-collapse-left-players-high-and-dry-with-1833813021

How in God's name are we gonna allow this to all happen again next year with the XFL?

If your reaction to this stuff is anything but "it's bullshit and I'm ignoring it" next year you are part of the problem!

#12947 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If your reaction to this stuff is anything but "it's bullshit and I'm ignoring it" next year you are part of the problem!

Well, if we ignore it, isn't that doing our part to guarantee that happens?

If anything, this is all on your head, Levi!

#12948 5 years ago

Well, if we ignore it, isn't that doing our part to guarantee that happens?
If anything, this is all on your head, Levi!

Hmmm, the XFL is going to be a Spring League which puts their championship game suspiciously close the NYC Pinball Championships. Lots of people watching the big game and not playing pinball, lot's of sponsors shifting their marketing budgets to buying television commercials. If I'm just "following the money" and not using any common sense I would argue that Levi has a pretty lucrative reason to try and tank the XFL. Full disclosure LEVI!

#12949 5 years ago

I guess the NFL is sticking with (4) pre-season games again this year.
Thought that maybe NFL was gonna drop it down to 2 or 3 pre-season games.

I just got an email announcing Saints upcoming pre-season opponents.

Week 1, home, vs MN Vikings
Week 2, away, at Chargers (remember, that means at Los Angeles, not San Diego, ...or are they gonna move again?)
Week 3, away, at NY Jets
Week 4, home, vs Miami Dolphins

#12950 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

I guess the NFL is sticking with (4) pre-season games again this year.
Thought that maybe NFL was gonna drop it down to 2 or 3 pre-season games.

$$$$ - It is a forced buy for season ticket holders. That is not going away unless the season gets extended for free by the NFL Players Association. Which means never.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saratoga Springs, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 18.95
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 75,679 posts in this topic. You are on page 259 of 1,514.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-official-2013-2014-nfl-thread/page/259 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.