nose-swipe.gif
5CD8BE91-06DC-4095-8B61-F18E6DC7BB6E.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
carmichael.gif
giggle-laugh.gif

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 75,762 posts in this topic. You are on page 225 of 1,516.
#11201 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Aka Holmgren, except then at least they were playing power houses like the 90s Cowboys. Winning a SB isn't easy of course....but only getting to 1 is a little iffy with a non cheap team with the 3rd best Qb ever.
I agree with everything that sometimes you just have to shitcan people. I don't know if the offense is juts designed poorly, since Rodgers can audible to anything he wants anyway, or the team is not coached well/quit on MM. Because those final drives for GB where PITIFUL. Bad throws, bad catching attempts...just everyone looked like they didn't give a shit.

Holmgren was coach from 92-98 (7 seasons). He went to 2 superbowls, won 1. MM was coach from 2006-2018 (almost 13 seasons). He went to 1 superbowl, won 1.

There's little doubt in my mind that Holmgren was a much more successful coach. He also had to deal with Favre early in his career - much of the coaching staff suggested starting Mark Brunell over Favre going into the 95(?) season. Holmgren got through to him and had a big hand in making him one of the best QBs of the era. That's what a good coach can do.

Our biggest mistake was failing to give Holmgren more responsibility. He wanted to be GM and coach. He went elsewhere to do that. We hired Ray Rhodes for a year after he left, and then made Mike Sherman GM and Coach (the position Holmgren wanted). It was poorly timed, and I think that cost us at least one more superbowl with Favre.

I agree that yesterday those poor passes and catches signal that MM had lost the team. They weren't playing for him. 12 is really good at making things happen outside the pocket, but you CANNOT design an offense around that. We need to get the ball out and run designed plays much more than we do. 12 may be responsible for failing to get the ball out to the designed targets, but who is holding him accountable for that? He needs someone that can coach him, or strip him of the ability to change plays if he can't use it responsibly.

#11202 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

There's little doubt in my mind that Holmgren was a much more successful coach.

Yeah I don't think anyone has ever thought that .

12 may be responsible for failing to get the ball out to the designed targets, but who is holding him accountable for that? He needs someone that can coach him, or strip him of the ability to change plays if he can't use it responsibly.

No one holds him accountable for anything because he's Aaron Rodgers and can do no wrong.
You got 2 choices now, A tough hard ass coach that can hold him accountable, or a yes man that will just do whatever Rodgers says. Don't know anything aboot the runnings of the team so I have no idea what they will do.

#11203 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I don't think anyone has ever thought that .

No one holds him accountable for anything because he's Aaron Rodgers and can do no wrong.
You got 2 choices now, A tough hard ass coach that can hold him accountable, or a yes man that will just do whatever Rodgers says. Don't know anything aboot the runnings of the team so I have no idea what they will do.

I would expect a yes man/crony in the mold of late 90s elway/Shanahan.

It just makes sense. Rogers is the guy for at least a few more years so may as well cater to him.

#11204 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If they can get late 90s Elway/Shanahan results, I doubt GB will complain.

#11205 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

If they can get late 90s Elway/Shanahan results, I doubt GB will complain.

That’s your best case, yes.

#11206 5 years ago

If they can get a running game like that they'd love it...well I don't know if Rodgers would.

EDIT: Also Shanahan was a VERY special case. Do find a coach that looks exactly like your team name/mascot is virtually impossible.

#11207 5 years ago

Rodgers has always wanted a strong run game. He's good in play action, but we've never really been able to set that up. He's been pretty vocal this year about getting Aaron Jones the ball more this year. Our failure to recognize talent already on the roster is another sticking point with me.

He also lobbied to get Lynch in town when he left Buffalo (we were in position to obtain him out of the draft, as well).

#11208 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It just makes sense. Rogers is the guy for at least a few more years so may as well cater to him.

Why? Rodgers is locked into a huge contract. No need to cater to him. Get a hard ass coach in there to put him in his place. Has Ditka recovered from his heart attack yet?

It's pretty obvious that Rodgers' last two injuries have diminished him significantly. He's not getting any younger. We will see if he is back to his old self next year. Frankly, if this is the new Rodgers, then he is not worth his contract. If so, make his life miserable with a hard ass coach so he either gets his shit together, or retires. Maybe then he'll have time to call his mom.

#11209 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If they can get a running game like that they'd love it...well I don't know if Rodgers would.
EDIT: Also Shanahan was a VERY special case. Do find a coach that looks exactly like your team name/mascot is virtually impossible.

Hey now, it was Elway had the horse teeth.

#11210 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

...Frankly, if this is the new Rodgers, then he is not worth his contract.....

He is if they spend monies and lure good players to the team; Without Rodgers GB is the hottest destination out there. Elway was way down at the end too but he had enough to make plays when they count....they're still talking aboot that stupid SB run.
I agree the days of the old sack slinger Rodgers winning everything by himself are over.

Quoted from fosaisu:

Hey now, it was Elway had the horse teeth.

Agree to disagree

oh-no (resized).jpgoh-no (resized).jpg

#11211 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

He is if they spend monies and lure good players to the team; Without Rodgers GB is the hottest destination out there. Elway was way down at the end too but he had enough to make plays when they count....they're still talking aboot that stupid SB run.
I agree the days of the old sack slinger Rodgers winning everything by himself are over.

Agree to disagree
[quoted image]

Woah, that's meth teeth right there.

The problem is that Green Bay can't spend money to lure good players because all the cap space went to Rodgers contract. And frankly, it would take a premium to get good veteran players to play for the packers. Noone wants to freeze their ass off in a boring little town playing with a douche qb that blames everyone but himself for their shortcomings.

#11212 5 years ago

The Packers will have plenty of cap room next year.

Not on that list is a potential cut of Nick Perry and his 14m, and Jimmy Graham and his 13m.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#11213 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Agree to disagree
[quoted image]

I'll just leave this here.

Elway (resized).jpgElway (resized).jpg
#11214 5 years ago

The Packers will have plenty of cap room next year.

Can't wait to see how Rodgers spends it.

Kareem Hunt would be my first and last goal during the off season.

#11215 5 years ago

Maybe some of you wisconsin guys can weigh in, but I heard a rumor from someone in the gay community about Rodgers. That Danica Patrick is a "beard" and that Rodgers is not close with his family because they are devout christians.

#11216 5 years ago

There were rumors a few years ago. I don't think there was any basis for those rumors. It would be pretty shitty of his family to turn their back on him (collectively) for that reason. It would also be kind of strange to get a couple of girlfriends that are in on that scheme.

Either way, I simply don't care about the sexual preference of anyone (except my wife i suppose). I would hope for his sake that he's not covering up who he really is for fear of some sort of backlash.

#11217 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Maybe some of you wisconsin guys can weigh in, but I heard a rumor from someone in the gay community about Rodgers. That Danica Patrick is a "beard" and that Rodgers is not close with his family because they are devout christians.

OP's got you covered (this would be from four years ago):

Quoted from centerflank:

If it doesnt affect ones ability to throw TD's, a man can stick his willy wherever he wants.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-official-2013-2014-nfl-thread/page/33#post-1344294

#11218 5 years ago

I don't, know if it'd call all the Kevin stuff baseless, but it's his life and i sure as shit
Aren't giving football men the benefit of the doubt accepting that shit. Someone that high profile... It would be tough

#11219 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Why? Rodgers is locked into a huge contract. No need to cater to him. Get a hard ass coach in there to put him in his place. .

Yeah that's brilliant. Bring in some hard ass to piss off your franchise QB who basically OWNS WISCONSIN and your team for the next few years. What could possibly go wrong?

They are not going to hire a coach without 12's sign off, period. If it doesn't work out you can just get rid of said coach when you get rid of Rogers within a few years.

#11220 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah that's brilliant. Bring in some hard ass to piss off your franchise QB who basically OWNS WISCONSIN and your team for the next few years. What could possibly go wrong?
They are not going to hire a coach without 12's sign off, period. If it doesn't work out you can just get rid of said coach when you get rid of Rogers within a few years.

It is brilliant. He can't go anywhere and he doesn't OWN WISCONSIN anymore. Why not piss him off. He'll either sink or swim. Coddling never works. It didn't work with you.

#11222 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

It is brilliant. He can't go anywhere and he doesn't OWN WISCONSIN anymore. Why not piss him off. He'll either sink or swim. Coddling never works. It didn't work with you.

God this is dumb. Is there anybody here who agrees with this idiocy? They already HAD a coach that Rodgers didn't like, remember? They fired him yesterday. Give me one coherent reason why they should go through the trouble just to hire another one.

I don't give a shit, I'm not a Green Bay fan. But you'd have to be pretty dumb to think that 12 isn't the face and identity of the franchise, and that they'll obviously be hiring a coach they think he'll work well with.

And there's that $100 million guaranteed contract they just signed him to.

"Hey, let's bring back Ditka to scream at him for 3 years! Brilliant! And hire vicjw to run this team, that guy has some smart ideas!"

#11223 5 years ago

I think you need a coach that will be collaborative, but firm. MM did seem to give 12 a little too much slack. He let him throw out plays in pregame meetings. He let him alter the play at the line. It's still a question about timeouts, but if he allowed 12 to take TOs to salvage a 5yd penalty, that was also a mistake.

Rodgers is a diva. He does need someone to actually coach him, and hold him accountable when he bucks the gameplan and decides to ignore his progressions in the hopes of extending the play. He also seems worried about protecting his stats at times. Some people praise him for his 1int this season, but I think that represents missed opportunities. He's much more willing to take a sack than to allow his receivers a chance at a 50/50 ball. Both kill drives.

#11224 5 years ago

I'm not blaming you guys cause it's a Monday and there's not much else to talk about. But man we are spending a lot of keystrokes on a 4-7 team that can't beat the Cardinals.

#11225 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm not blaming you guys cause it's a Monday and there's not much else to talk about. But man we are spending a lot of keystrokes on a 4-7 team that can't beat the Cardinals.

Don't make us pull up the graphic of the things that need to happen for them to make the playoffs!

But honestly, it's an extremely shocking move for a franchise that just likes to move along real quietly.
Packers have just pulled a very unpacker thing that makes them look weak and wont help them land a coach...although I guess it doesn't matter because AR will probably pick a young offensive dude to try to turn them into KC or Rams.

Maybe they'll bring farve back to coach? Havne''t heard anything aboot him in a bit huh?

#11226 5 years ago

I don't completely disagree with your sentiment in some ways. Except that SB came 8 seasons ago, with the same QB. The talent is not as bad as some would have you believe. Releasing 87 may have been a mistake, but not egregious. We thought we had a great trio of receivers in Adams, Cobb, and Alison. Jordy hasn't done much in Oakland. He was good with 12 because of their timing, but he was otherwise a pretty average all-around receiver.
I do completely agree that Murphy has done nothing but hurt the Packers. He's done nothing as far as football operations - MM and TT were in place when he took the job. When TT "stepped down", he hired a firm to find the next GM (even though our candidate pool was filled with guys already in our system). He also made himself a de facto owner, making the GM and HC positions much less appealing than they were previously. He's a buffoon, and I want him gone more than anyone.
I disagree that Crosby lost us many games.. It should never be so close (especially when you're 14 point favorites) that you blame the kicker for missing a long field goal attempt in the elements of a GB winter. He's had an off year - but our entire ST has been as bad as I've ever seen.
MM just didn't get it. Much of the criticism of MM was that he wasn't aggressive enough. He responds by going for it on 4th and 2 by running a triple reverse play action with only one target down field. That's not how it's done. Throw high percentage passes and keep your offense on the field. His use of timeouts (or 12s, but he's the coach, so he needs to get it under control either way) was abysmal, and cost us more game opportunities than kicking ever did.
Rodgers needs someone that will come in and put him back in his place. Someone needs to come in and slap the 4 out of him. He's a member of the team, and needs to start acting like it. MM failed to get that done. He hired a QB coach and said himself that he brought in that coach to bring up young talent, NOT to coach 12. That was a mistake.
I'm nervous for the next chapter. I don't think we'll have any shortage of coaching candidates. Firing midseason is out of character for us, but so is laying an egg at home in December with the playoff hopes on the line against one of the worst teams in the league. Don't cry for MM, he'll make millions someplace else, and he'll be in the GB HOF.

A very fair analysis, ya ever get up here ill buy ya a beer. Im in gb today, alot of anti murphy sentiment up here as well. Although i dont know how achange at that level would happen. He thinks the team is his.

#11227 5 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

He thinks the team is his.

Most likely because it kind of is.

#11228 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Most likely because it kind of is.

Lol, ya kno what i mean. Hes not THE owner. I am A owner, and i assume he is A owner. But he is not THE owner.

#11229 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

God this is dumb. Is there anybody here who agrees with this idiocy? They already HAD a coach that Rodgers didn't like, remember? They fired him yesterday. Give me one coherent reason why they should go through the trouble just to hire another one.
I don't give a shit, I'm not a Green Bay fan. But you'd have to be pretty dumb to think that 12 isn't the face and identity of the franchise, and that they'll obviously be hiring a coach they think he'll work well with.
And there's that $100 million guaranteed contract they just signed him to.
"Hey, let's bring back Ditka to scream at him for 3 years! Brilliant! And hire vicjw to run this team, that guy has some smart ideas!"

Gee, I hate to say you are completely wrong on this. If you think that a coach that kisses Rodgers ass is better for the franchise than a coach that will challenge Rodgers to be better, well that is your opinion man. I’m not gonna call it idiocy.

#11230 5 years ago

I dunno if I agree w Dungy or Harrison on the timing of the firing of MM..I kinda lean w Dungy..give the man some respect- If that exists much anymore..and why not wait till the end of the season..maybe things started to change when Montgomery ran that ball out, when he shouldn’t of..and he was shipped out. GB has been spoiled w great qbs and playoffs for years..things are changing now, and how they’re doin business is...I dunno. I’m a fan of the game, and realize that it’s a business 1st..if GB was smart, they’d be patient and find an experienced coach (not like Gruden!) who could listen/deal with Rodgers and hopefully make the cheeseheads happy...

#11231 5 years ago

I'll take a double dose of whatever AP is having

#11232 5 years ago

Heard today that much of the reason that we may have let MM go midseason is so we can talk to coaches from the same agency. The name I heard was Josh McDaniels. I'm undecided on how I feel about that.

#11233 5 years ago

You guys are in here bitching about a team that has had two starting QBs since 1992, meanwhile my Browns are on QB 1,407 since 1999! We drafted Johnny "F**king" Manziel at 22...overall!!!

Oh, and one playoff APPEARANCE since '99. Not win. Appearance. Take a step back and reflect. You've had a bad season (same record as this years Browns team, ouch). You'll be fine.

#11234 5 years ago

The name I heard was Josh McDaniels. I'm undecided on how I feel about that.

What part don't you like? The fact he was a terrible coach that was fired in 2 years or the fact he's a Bellicheck guy who h means he'll be very be a good coach?
Hey don't act too quickly, Matt Patricia may be available too.

#11235 5 years ago
Quoted from Stuart_Pitt9876:

You guys are in here bitching about a team that has had two starting QBs since 1992, meanwhile my Browns are on QB 1,407 since 1999! We drafted Johnny "F**king" Manziel at 22...overall!!!
Oh, and one playoff APPEARANCE since '99. Not win. Appearance. Take a step back and reflect. You've had a bad season (same record as this years Browns team, ouch). You'll be fine.

We're having a discussion about football. Noone is bitching. As a Browns fan though, you are free to bitch.

#11236 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

What part don't you like? The fact he was a terrible coach that was fired in 2 years or the fact he's a Bellicheck guy who h means he'll be very be a good coach?
Hey don't act too quickly, Matt Patricia may be available too.

Has any New England guy ever turned out to be a good hire? I can't think of one.

#11237 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Has any New England guy ever turned out to be a good hire? I can't think of one.

Nope. Lions quit on Patricia pretty quick too. I think he's going to trade Stafford too

#11238 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

We're having a discussion about football. Noone is bitching. As a Browns fan though, you are free to bitch.

Who do you cheer for?

#11239 5 years ago

As a browns fan you should be happy, this is the best you've looked in 40 years.

#11240 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Noone is bitching

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
#11241 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:Nope. Lions quit on Patricia pretty quick too. I think he's going to trade Stafford too

Head coach can't trade players

#11242 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Head coach can't trade players

I don't think you know anything about the lions.

#11243 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't think you know anything about the lions.

Which is a sign he's been making good life choices ...

#11244 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pete Carroll did some pretty good things at USC and with the Seahawks.

#11245 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Pete Carroll did pretty good things at USC and with the Seahawks.

He's a jets coach dumbass

#11246 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

He's a jets coach dumbass

They all gotta start somewhere and with him it might have been the Bills.

#11247 5 years ago

Heard today that much of the reason that we may have let MM go midseason is so we can talk to coaches from the same agency. The name I heard was Josh McDaniels. I'm undecided on how I feel about that.

Bengals fans are hoping they pick up Hue Jackson

#11248 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Bengals fans are hoping they pick up Hue Jackson

Trust me no one wants Hue for Head Coach.

#11249 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Trust me no one wants Hue for Head Coach.

Except for Mike Brown

#11250 5 years ago

Hue is a great "one dimensional" type of coach but not suited for head coaching duties. A good example of Hue is Dick Lebeau , great defensive coach but not so great as head coach. Too much information for either to process, they can only focus on one area at a time. I think Mike Brown will consider keeping Hue but not as head coach. I personally would like Cincy to approach Harbaugh in Michigan and see if he wants to come back to the NFL.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cupertino, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

There are 75,762 posts in this topic. You are on page 225 of 1,516.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-official-2013-2014-nfl-thread/page/225?hl=dee-bow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.