iblameyourflipperrubbers (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
so-shatto-is-dealing-late-burns-to-the-49ers-v0-kr4yigcvzdpc1.png
IMG_5898 (resized).png
RDT_20240319_1906132562035229678710219 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240319_160503_YouTube (resized).jpg
432496760_913456790786597_8120864724896614595_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 75,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 221 of 1,506.
#11001 5 years ago

There is another 9:30am Eastern game this Sunday. It's time for Bortles to lay another turd. I completely forgot about last Sunday's Chargers/Titans morning game

#11002 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

There is another 9:30am Eastern game this Sunday. It's time for Bortles to lay another turd. I completely forgot about last Sunday's Chargers/Titans morning game

I don't have NFL Network. Is the game going to be streamed on Yahoo!?

#11003 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Ok .. they suck.. who cares! U really can't hate a sports franchise that much. can ya?! And what hype? Ain't nobody picking them cowboys to win it! Their division is up for grabs tho!

The more I think about it, the more I think this was a terrible deal for the Cowboys. Amari Cooper is not a true #1 receiver. He's worth a 3rd round pick, which is the best anybody else was offering.

This does NOT help the cowboys. He's not cheap, they have a ton of contracts coming up and no cap space. They may end up cutting him next year when they realize he sucks!

The smart thing for Jones to do would be suck up his pride and bring Dez back. Would have solved their issue and let them keep their #1.

Time will tell but I think it's a shitty deal for the Cowboys. Love that the SKins beating them made them this desperate.

#11004 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The more I think about it, the more I think this was a terrible deal for the Cowboys.

I have no idea why it took you this long to figure it out? Jerry is horrible at doing deals. Around Lion country everyone has a laugh remebing when he gave up a 1st & 3rd for a 49 year old Roy Williams!

#11005 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Jerry is horrible at doing deals.

Yes, it's been almost three decades since he fired Tom Landry, hired Jimmy Johnson and traded Herschel Walker away...

That all seems like ancient history now.

#11006 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I have no idea why it took you this long to figure it out? Jerry is horrible at doing deals. Around Lion country everyone has a laugh remebing when he gave up a 1st & 3rd for a 49 year old Roy Williams!

I didn't know shit about Amari Cooper is what took me so long.

Looking into it I now realize they got absolutely fleeced for a b-level receiver who might not even be on their team in a year or so. Galloway/Roy Williams redux!

None of this is gonna help make Dak a better QB. This trade might have actually made sense if Romo were still playing.

The other thing is that the Cowboys have been GOOD at picking in the first round. Well, not next year!

I love it. Screw the Cowboys. They got beat by Grudens two days in a row.

#11007 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, it's been almost three decades since he fired Tom Landry, hired Jimmy Johnson and traded Herschel Walker away...

"Four games into the 1989 season, Jimmy Johnson, then head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, came up with the idea to trade Walker while on a morning jog with his staff..... Johnson contacted Minnesota Vikings General Manager Mike Lynn. Johnson told Lynn that he was going to trade Walker to Cleveland that afternoon, and that if Minnesota would like to trade for Walker,....etc

#11008 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

"Four games into the 1989 season, Jimmy Johnson, then head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, came up with the idea to trade Walker while on a morning jog with his staff. "

Jimmy's Jackpot!

#11009 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Jimmy's Jackpot!

Sadly his time in Miami wasn't as good but you remember that one. He does love his boats!

#11010 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Sadly his time in Miami wasn't as good but you remember that one.

I remember after the Cowboys started winning they did some animated clip during one of the games where Jimmy put a Herschel Walker coin in a slot machine, pulled the lever, and a bunch of coins with all his star players came pouring out.

That's what I remember about that.

#11011 5 years ago

Wow... That is glorious!

#11012 5 years ago

Man, I am really trying to stick it out this year, but the Eagles look like absolute shit. No idea what they are thinking on some of these plays. Wentz is getting zero protection, and the O line looks disgusting. They need to get a grip.

Luckily the D is holding them in this one.

#11013 5 years ago

Super Bowl hangover?

#11014 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Super Bowl hangover?

Yeah, I’m about sick of hearing that theory. Hangovers last a day or two, not a few months. And I also don’t like hearing that “they only had two months off”. Even if you do physical labor for a living, if you had two months off, you should feel very friggin refreshed coming back to work.

I’m starting to think it’s more once some teams go all the way and got the ultimate trophy, they feel like they accomplished all they have to do. Unlike the Patriots, who don’t hang any of that crap from the prior year at their practice facility, and want to win it EVERY single year...and play like it.

#11015 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Yeah, I’m about sick of hearing that theory. Hangovers last a day or two, not a few months.

Hungry Dogs Run Faster. This current Eagles team has been feasting like kings since last February

#11016 5 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Hungry Dogs Run Faster. This current Eagles team has been feasting like kings since last February

LMAO. I’m feeling better in the second half. It looks like much more effort is there. And I think Mills has been hurting the team, so I’m not upset at all that he’s taking a break.

He’s too handsy...like a ton of guys in the league.

#11017 5 years ago

Seahawks are looking like a different team, if they continue playing like this they'll make it to the playoffs. What a change, go hawks!

#11018 5 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Seahawks are looking like a different team,...

haha...#1 thing said by any team playing the Lions.

#11019 5 years ago

At least the Brownies are looking like the same old team today eh?

#11020 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

At least the Brownies are looking like the same old team today eh?

Steelers fans have to be disappointed!

#11021 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Steelers fans have to be disappointed!

We are not affected by that minor league team

I mean I'm always happy to see Haley get shitcanned.

#11022 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

We are not affected by that minor league team
I mean I'm always happy to see Haley get shitcanned.

I’ve never been a Hailey fan either..he was shit in KC, and shit in Pitt..he sucks

#11023 5 years ago

OK so the Eagles and Cowboys trade for receivers.

And the Redskins bring in Ha Ha Dix from the Pack for a 4th rounder.

Love this trade - the Skins will now be starting the two best safties in the NFL so far this season, side by side.

Could be a rental. He's FA next season.

#11024 5 years ago

I have never seen so many wide receivers traded just before the deadline. D. Thomas gets an upgrade in qb with him going to Houston. The Jags wasted a third rounder on Carlos Hyde. Fournette comes back after the break and half the team got arrested in London anyway.

#11025 5 years ago

Wow fun stuff will all the trades. Hopefully football will learn from every other sport near the deadline. Appreciate GB giving up, I'll need a full passive aggressive report from Aaron rodgers though

#11026 5 years ago

Yeah GB has thrown the towel in...…..time for the coach to do same.

#11027 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OK so the Eagles and Cowboys trade for receivers.
And the Redskins bring in Ha Ha Dix from the Pack for a 4th rounder.
Love this trade - the Skins will now be starting the two best safties in the NFL so far this season, side by side.
Could be a rental. He's FA next season.

So awesome. NFC playoffs are going to be a bloodbath.

#11028 5 years ago

The Thursday game is a snoozer tonight: Raiders at Niners

The Rams vs. Saints game should be a good one.

#11029 5 years ago

I know no one is happy with the way NFL officiating has been done thus far but, you know what I hate even worse? When the very same assholes that had a hand in creating these new rules complain about the calls...….. Two of the biggest ass-of-nines in the bunch, Marvin Lewis and Mike Tomlin, both on the Competition Committee; what a F*#! joke!

#11030 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I know no one is happy with the way NFL officiating has been done thus far but, you know what I hate even worse? When the very same assholes that had a hand in creating these new rules complain about the calls...….. Two of the biggest ass-of-nines in the bunch, Marvin Lewis and Mike Tomlin, both on the Competition Committee; what a F*#! joke!

One of the officials was terminated recently. I don't recall that ever happening during the season.

#11031 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

One of the officials was terminated recently. I don't recall that ever happening during the season.

More of a sacrificial lamb to NFL fans than a wake-up call for the officials. The official they canned had been involved in a number of bad or questionable calls over the past two/three seasons so it wasn't a total blindside. I understand that these guys for the most part are making calls in a bang bang situation; however, too many bad calls this season do not fit the scenario. Some of the unbelievable holding every week in the name of protecting the QB is to the point it rivals the NBA's no call to obvious traveling and palming of the ball.

#11032 5 years ago

Last night was the first Raiders game I watched this season. They really gutted the team and even made the Niners look good with a qb I never heard of. I guess they don't want the good people in Oakland to miss them when they move to Las Vegas.

#11033 5 years ago

They looked terrible. The 9er's QB looked stupendous, until you factor in the steaming pile that's the Raider's defense.

#11034 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Well, don't forget the Packers whining about Clay Mathews' continued "full weight on the QB" calls when that rule was passed because of Aaron Rodger's injury. It's the #12 rule!!!

It's pretty simple - don't drive your weight into the QB. Clay kept whining about how impossible that is but I've seen PLENTY of guys do it right - make an effort to roll off the QB on the way down and they won't call it.

#11035 5 years ago

Last night was the shittiest regular season game I've watched in quite some time

#11036 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, don't forget the Packers whining about Clay Mathews' continued "full weight on the QB" calls when that rule was passed because of Aaron Rodger's injury. It's the #12 rule!!!

It's pretty simple - don't drive your weight into the QB. Clay kept whining about how impossible that is but I've seen PLENTY of guys do it right - make an effort to roll off the QB on the way down and they won't call it.

He braced himself to prevent putting the full weight on the QB. Watch it again.

People don't seem to like judgement calls, but to me it's all about intent. If someone is hitting the QB late or trying to take them out of the game, eject them. I don't see 15yd penalties stopping a guy like Burfict from playing dirty.

#11037 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

He braced himself to prevent putting the full weight on the QB. Watch it again.
People don't seem to like judgement calls, but to me it's all about intent. If someone is hitting the QB late or trying to take them out of the game, eject them. I don't see 15yd penalties stopping a guy like Burfict from playing dirty.

I would disagree. At some point they'll stop or be out of the league. It takes a while to get people to change but the flags clearly are having an effect.

I haven't heard about Mathews getting into trouble the last few weeks, so it seems like he's learning.

That hit on Alex Smith that everybody was complaining about, sorry, it was a textbook violation of the Rodgers rule. He slammed him into the turf. The fact that it would have been a clean hit a year ago or a celebrated hit 5 years ago is irrelevant.

Not sure how he's "bracing himself" in this hit, unless you mean bracing himself against Smith's collarbone and rib cage. You need to make an effort to roll off and he didn't:

#11038 5 years ago

The flags might have an effect if you're playing against Eli in a non-conference game, but I think some teams would trade a 15yd penalty to knock out a division rival's franchise QB. Admittedly, they may also decide that losing a struggling LB for a game is also a pretty good trade.

I was talking about the hit on Cousins. I can see why they called the hit on Smith by rule. I do maintain that I don't think the intent to injure was there, 52 was coming in hot and his momentum was going to drive Smith to the turf, and he did also roll off. It could have been called either way, but I don't fault the ref for throwing the flag under the current rule.

#11039 5 years ago

I do maintain that I don't think the intent to injure was there, 52 was coming in hot and his momentum was going to drive Smith to the turf, and he did also roll off. It could have been called either way, but I don't fault the ref for throwing the flag under the current rule.

I just don't think that intent is that important. A leading with the helmet call is made regardless of intent, and the same should be true here. Losing star QBs for the season is not a good thing for the NFL.

I would hope NFL players and teams aren't "horse-trading" penalties and ejections for injuries. Sure back in the Buddy Ryan days that was a thing but the league can't afford that kind of nonsense now. I really think employees of the league - and that counts players and coaches - are smarter than that now. They know their careers and personal financial well-being are at risk if they behave that way.

I just watched the Cousins hit and totally agree with you there. The Alex Smith hit was a week or two later though so Clay should have known better.

#11040 5 years ago

It happened more recently than Buddy Ryan, I think most recent was Greg Williams in NO with the bounties. I also hope that's not still a thing, but you also have to consider that their performance is important to their financial well-being and job security. Failure to win the division for too long will mean a pretty quick exit, but if you can remove the linchpin of a division rival...

Using that same example of NO - they don't beat the Vikings that year if they don't hit Favre like they did. They were eventually found out and paid a penalty - suspensions, fines, whatever... but Sean Payton is still HC of the Saints, and Williams is the (interim) HC of the Browns.

#11041 5 years ago

Unrelated - a friend and I were talking about OT the other day. We decided that there should be NO ties. If at the end of OT a tie remains, there will be a kicking contest to decide who wins. You will kick (at least) 3x, and you may not use the same player to kick more than once. You start with a 30yd kick, and move back by 10yds.

It's silly, but it would also be pretty fun. When do you use your kicker? The 40? The 50? Do you have someone on your team that can make a 30yd kick?

It's better than a tie!

#11042 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

Last night was the shittiest regular season game I've watched in quite some time

That was beyond painful. They could have stopped after the 3rd quarter...the Raiders had already. On a more positive note, Eagles should look golden next week.

#11043 5 years ago

Unrelated - a friend and I were talking about OT the other day. We decided that there should be NO ties. If at the end of OT a tie remains, there will be a kicking contest to decide who wins. You will kick (at least) 3x, and you may not use the same player to kick more than once. You start with a 30yd kick, and move back by 10yds.
It's silly, but it would also be pretty fun. When do you use your kicker? The 40? The 50? Do you have someone on your team that can make a 30yd kick?
It's better than a tie!

Ties don’t bother me. Don’t see the need for this to end with some kind of home run derby.

#11044 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ties don’t bother me. Don’t see the need for this to end with some kind of home run derby.

I think ties in football are weird and unnecessary, but agree that a kicking contest would suck (for everyone but the kickers). Just tack on an additional sudden death OT. It's not soccer, the games won't go on forever.

#11045 5 years ago

College football handles ties correctly. Screw punts and kickoffs.

#11046 5 years ago

I agree, I like college better. I think giving each team a possession from their own 35 or 40 in the NFL would be the best way to do it. The problem is the NFL is a pretty sanctimonious institution and I don't think they'll ever adopt a solution the NCAA put in place.

My suggestion was really a tongue-in-cheek, unconventional solution to the NFL tie without disrupting the current format (a discussion that has been the staple of every sports radio show for the past 10 years or more).

#11047 5 years ago

I agree, I like college better. I think giving each team a possession from their own 35 or 40 in the NFL would be the best way to do it. The problem is the NFL is a pretty sanctimonious institution and I don't think they'll ever adopt a solution the NCAA put in place.
My suggestion was really a tongue-in-cheek, unconventional solution to the NFL tie without disrupting the current format (a discussion that has been the staple of every sports radio show for the past 10 years or more).

I feel like kickers would fucking hate it. They have enough trouble keeping their job as it is!!!

I really do like their current format and I'm glad they made it 10 minutes instead of 15. Again I don't know why everybody hates ties so much!

But regardless, I turn my attention to Sunday, and the only team I give a shit about, my beloved Washington Redskins.

I'm scared shitless of the Falcons cause they have a great offense, and no way in Hell do the Skins compete in a shootout with the way Alex Smith has been playing. So uh...let's say Skins win 24-20.

Please.

If they give up more than 20 points it's gonna be tough.

#11048 5 years ago

I like the way it is now, eXpecially since we've had a tie or 2 and a few close ties, but I'm surprised the NFL doesn't change it to get more offense/fantasy /betting going.
Maybe Vegas is telling g them not to because it would be harder to predict scores? Probably wouldn't matter to them I guess.

#11049 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I like the way it is now, eXpecially since we've had a tie or 2 and a few close ties, but I'm surprised the NFL doesn't change it to get more offense/fantasy /betting going.
Maybe Vegas is telling g them not to because it would be harder to predict scores? Probably wouldn't matter to them I guess.

I think it probably doesn't affect things that much since ties are so uncommon (6% of games that go to OT end in a tie):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_tied_games

Given that they're so rare, I think taking the next step and eliminating them by having OT run until someone scores makes good sense. But evidently they shortened OT to reduce risk of injury (i.e. to minimize playtime) so it might be a tough sell with the player's union, even if the real-world impact would be minimal.

#11050 5 years ago

Haha the nfl players union... What a joke.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 75,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 221 of 1,506.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-official-2013-2014-nfl-thread/page/221?hl=vectorgamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.