pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy (1).gif
nfl films 1970 (resized).png
IMG_0255.gif
pinsidepool.gif
iblameyourflipperrubbers (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 75,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 216 of 1,507.
#10751 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

You’re way off Colson. Most players don’t make millions. The average NFL career is less than 4 years. And half of it goes to taxes.

Ok. I’m wrong, as is every resource. And the majority of players that would be at the highest risk for injury are those that make the big money, as they play the most and are usually the players that are getting hit more often. I was not talking about practice squad guys or fourth stringers. Their risk of significant injury is substantially lower.
7AE715AF-5FA2-4028-BA56-3557DD97A42A (resized).png7AE715AF-5FA2-4028-BA56-3557DD97A42A (resized).png

#10752 5 years ago

Check out median salaries. Those numbers are skewed by the handful of players per team making 20 million a year.

#10753 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Check out median salaries. Those numbers are skewed by the handful of players per team making 20 million a year.

I made a few comments, I wasn’t looking to get into a pissing contest about how much money athletes make. We all know they are well paid for what they actually do. I mean come on, they don’t work for five months out of the year other than working out and watching what they eat. And you are not figuring in other bonuses, appearance fees, and all the kickbacks they get that I read in contracts.

The fellas that built the Empire State Building made $2.50 an hour, and they had a much higher risk of injury. Several of them died.

#10754 5 years ago

Not sure why anybody thinks nfl players don’t deserve their pay. Who should be getting it, the owners? Half of them inherited their teams. Most were born rich or are just stupid lucky idiots like Dan Snyder, who got rich quick, bought my favorite team, and has
Spent almost 20 years destroying it.

And yet the owners still make more than the players who do all the work and take all the brain damage.

Not feelin the “nfl players are overpaid divas” concept. There’s not a bigger overpaid diva in the world than Jerry Jones or most of his owner cronies. Jones has more plastic surgery than a real Dallas housewife.

#10755 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not sure why anybody thinks nfl players don’t deserve their pay. Who should be getting it, the owners? Half of them inherited their teams. Most were born rich or are just stupid lucky idiots like Dan Snyder, who got rich quick, bought my favorite team, and has
Spent almost 20 years destroying it.
And yet the owners still make more than the players who do all the work and take all the brain damage.
Not feelin the “nfl players are overpaid divas” concept. There’s not a bigger overpaid diva in the world than Jerry Jones or most of his owner cronies. Jones has more plastic surgery than a real Dallas housewife.

I have a theory about the type of people who have this distorted thinking of taking the owners side over the players. It’s rooted in hundreds of years of tradition. I doubt they’re thinking of Rodgers and Brady when they are talking about spoiled overpaid players. More likely Kaepernick and Sherman.

#10756 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

“nfl players are overpaid divas”

Quoted from vicjw66:

I have a theory about the type of people who have this distorted thinking of taking the owners side over the players. It’s rooted in hundreds of years of tradition. I doubt they’re thinking of Rodgers and Brady when they are talking about spoiled overpaid players. More likely Kaepernick and Sherman.

Let’s be clear because you are now throwing a racial connotation into this thread. I said NOTHING about owners deserving any money and Levi’s quote was nowhere in any of my posts.

I was merely saying that they are divas compared to the players of the past, and make enough money to play two more games a year, especially if their intention is to do away with the preseason games. And if you implore that intention, the reality is they would actually be playing 2 less games per year.

Just wanted to clear that up, and certainly don’t want people twisting my words around. I wouldn’t appreciate somebody that doesn’t know me in any way insinuating that I exhibit any level of racism whatsoever. And I made no such comments.

This thread is about football, and a friendly discussion. Let’s not turn it into some trainwreck.

#10757 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not sure why anybody thinks nfl players don’t deserve their pay.

That is not what I said at all. I said for the amount of money they make, I believe they can play two more games per year. That simple.

#10758 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

That is not what I said at all. I said for the amount of money they make, I believe they can play two more games per year. That simple.

Sure, get rid of the preseason games I’m all for it. First few weeks of the season may be sloppier than usual though.

#10759 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Let’s be clear because you are now throwing a racial connotation into this thread. I said NOTHING about owners deserving any money and Levi’s quote was nowhere in any of my posts.
I was merely saying that they are divas compared to the players of the past, and make enough money to play two more games a year, especially if their intention is to do away with the preseason games. And if you implore that intention, the reality is they would actually be playing 2 less games per year.
Just wanted to clear that up, and certainly don’t want people twisting my words around. I wouldn’t appreciate somebody that doesn’t know me in any way insinuating that I exhibit any level of racism whatsoever. And I made no such comments.
This thread is about football, and a friendly discussion. Let’s not turn it into some trainwreck.

If you think NFL players would ever get on the field for a meaningful game risking career ending injury with no increased salary compensation then you are an idiot. No offense of course.

Personally, I don't want to see 18 games and then an injury replacement team taking the field for the playoffs. No thanks.

#10760 5 years ago

It’s true. I really don’t see an 18-game season being better. Will it really make a difference? By week 16 we know who the good teams are. Don’t see why it would be an improvement, and we’d just see more injuries.

Don’t forget the underpaid non-divas from back in the day played fewer games.

#10761 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

then you are an idiot. No offense of course.

Real nice. As if saying “no offense” somehow negates you calling me an idiot. It’s called a discussion, but I guess no one’s opinion matters other than yours.

And whether a game is meaningful or not, injuries still happen during preseason. The potential for injury is there regardless. Plenty of former players have indicated that they believe injuries are more prominent now because players don’t bother to practice the way they used to, and don’t play in preseason the way they used to in order to condition their bodies. But what do they know? They are just former NFL players themselves.

#10762 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sure, get rid of the preseason games I’m all for it. First few weeks of the season may be sloppier than usual though.

If college football can do without a preseason, certainly more experienced professionals can as well.

#10763 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Let’s be clear because you are now throwing a racial connotation into this thread.
Just wanted to clear that up, and certainly don’t want people twisting my words around. I wouldn’t appreciate somebody that doesn’t know me in any way insinuating that I exhibit any level of racism whatsoever.

I'm speaking of my own past experiences. This discussion about overpaid, entitled, players has been going on forever. And in every case, the people I have known personally that take this point of view, coincidentally would describe the civil war as "the war of northern aggression". And to say that you don't exhibit any level of racism whatsoever is disingenuous. All human beings innately have some level of racism. It's just a matter of where you lie on the spectrum, and recognizing when it is affecting your viewpoint.

#10764 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I'm speaking of my own past experiences.

I can appreciate that.

Quoted from vicjw66:

And to say that you don't exhibit any level of racism whatsoever is disingenuous. All human beings innately have some level of racism.

Surprise. I disagree. As a premise, everybody may realize that someone is “different.” Whether it be color, language spoken, or any other factor. A claim that everybody is “racist” on some level is utterly ridiculous. Do I realize that one of my coworkers is a different color? Sure. Do I treat them any differently? No. I judge every human based on their behavior and the way they conduct themselves. Nothing else matters.

I do appreciate you clarifying your position. But let’s not turn this into any type of political or society discussion unless we want the mods to step in.

Back on point of the thread, does anybody think the Patriots will go the distance this year? Or is their run spent? My feeling is that their dynasty has run its course. Reality is you never know with Brady at the helm though.

#10765 5 years ago

Rob Gronkowski should be getting a lot of looks this season. TE was a tough position for me last year. I think you can count on one hand your consistent TE options for Fantasy.

#10766 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Rob Gronkowski should be getting a lot of looks this season. TE was a tough position for me last year. I think you can count on one hand your consistent TE options for Fantasy.

True enough that Gates is back in the league

#10767 5 years ago

Pittsburg is playing a game in which they can only lose with Bell. Facts are that if he doesn't show up and play well, Big Ben is no longer capable of carrying the load alone for more than a few games. Bell is smart though and will know sitting out would be as disastrous as having a sub-par season for his future.

#10768 5 years ago

Well same situation as last year in Cincy.....no right side OL play. They can pass protect but, run blocking is very weak over the right side. I think we will be competitive enough to be in the running but you can't win in the NFL without a decent run game to open your offense.

#10769 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Repeat
[quoted image]

Steelers have 6....Philly fans can suck it

#10770 5 years ago

Saints have one Super Bowl win, and will be going for number 2. Go Saints!

#10771 5 years ago

Yeah would love for brees/Peyton to get another one

#10773 5 years ago

In general what are your overall opinions of each of these NFL bird teams?
* Arizona Cardinals (in NFC West)
* Atlanta Falcons (NFC South)
* Baltimore Ravens (AFC North)
* Philadelphia Eagles (NFC East)
* Seattle Seahawks (NFC West)

The only team out of this bunch that I sort of like is the AZ Cardinals.
Seahawks fans are ok I guess, but some of the players are hard to pull for.
Falcons definitely not one of my favorite teams, but they do seem more humble after suffering a bad beat in a Super Bowl.
When ever the Eagles play the Cowboys, I always struggle deciding who to pull for.
Ravens don't seem to have much charisma. At least they really do try to hand the Steelers a loss or two during the season.

#10774 5 years ago

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: Thur night Sep 6th on NBC, Falcons at Eagles

Eagles favored by 1 to 2 points.

I guess I don't care who wins this one.

#10775 5 years ago

I know this is a stretch, but anyone have any Bears Packers (at Solider on dec 16; not the opener) tickets to sell?

I would like to surprise a buddy and take him.

Also, any suggestions on where to sit? I am OK with splurging for a good experience (only done a bears game once before and sat up high, would prefer to spend more to get a better experience this time)

#10776 5 years ago

I wasn't paying much attention to off season trades and such, but was pleased when I took in a Miami pre-season game a week or so ago, and saw that Amendola has switched sides.

Chargers look like they are in good position to make a run in the west, but that we will have to wait and see as usual.

#10777 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Chargers look like they are in good position to make a run in the west, but that we will have to wait and see as usual.

Don't take the bait!!

#10778 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Don't take the bait!!

No, as usual it's a long haul and a long season. But they look to have some stability as all the other teams in the west have undergone changes with coaching or QB. I watched a little something about the Raiders yesterday and it looks like Gruden is once again a good fit.

#10779 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, as usual it's a long haul and a long season. But they look to have some stability as all the other teams in the west have undergone changes with coaching or QB. I watched a little something about the Raiders yesterday and it looks like Gruden is once again a good fit.

Yeah, Chargers look pretty good in the AFC West this year. Broncos will probably go 8-8 and the Chiefs don't look strong either. And the Raiders seem hell-bent on wasting their talent. So it's there for the Chargers if they can cobble together 10 wins. Of course they have a knack for underperforming and it's been almost 10 years since their last 10+ win season, but maybe they're due?

#10780 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Of course they have a knack for underperforming and it's been almost 10 years since their last 10+ win season, but maybe they're due?

They sure closed out the season strong last year, and if they can overcome those losses at the end of games that cost them a playoff spot, they sure have all the weapons on offense and a strong defense to get it done, barring of course key injuries that can happen to anyone.

#10781 5 years ago

Blah blah blah....it's the chargers so just pick one; Strong start shit end of season of the other way around. Can Keean Allen actually make it 2 seasons in a row?

#10782 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Strong start shit end of season of the other way around.

Or have an epic season with one of the best kickers in the league and miss key field goals that would let you advance in the playoffs. Yes, we've seen it all. But it seems as of late even the perennial losers with a history of bad luck can eventually rise to the top and overcome. I'm not holding my breath though until that time actually comes.

#10783 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Or have an epic season with one of the best kickers in the league and miss key field goals that would let you advance in the playoffs. Yes, we've seen it all. But it seems as of late even the perennial losers with a history of bad luck can eventually rise to the top and overcome. I'm not holding my breath though until that time actually comes.

That first part sounds like my Vikings, as does the second part. Still sad for Bills fans...

#10784 5 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

That first part sounds like my Vikings,

I remember Gary Anderson hadn't missed a kick the entire season going into that championship game against the Falcons. I think the dude was like 40 years old at the time.

Hard to beat what Randall Cunningham and Randy Moss put together that year as far as offensive output. Sad it came to an end with one missed kick.

#10785 5 years ago

Looks like Bell may sit out until week 10 at the least. He should sit out the entire season if he holds out on any games. Personally I think his hold-out is a mistake in his career but, his money, his choice. You can be certain that Pittsburg will not see the playoffs without a decent back, Big Ben is past the time he could carry them alone for more than a game or two.

#10786 5 years ago

Week 1 is the most dubious time. Who has bets in?

I like the Rams -4 @Oakland and Chicago +9 @GB

#10787 5 years ago

I see the Titans play the Chargers in London this year. Chargers home game. If you're a season ticket holder do you get a ticket to that game as well? Seems inconvenient but maybe there's a healthy resale market.

#10788 5 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

That first part sounds like my Vikings, as does the second part. Still sad for Bills fans...

Quoted from o-din:

I remember Gary Anderson...

The sad part isnt even Anderson's kick, which was at least 35+ away. It was Walsh's miss from 27...wow.

#10789 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Looks like Bell may sit out until week 10 at the least. He should sit out the entire season if he holds out on any games. Personally I think his hold-out is a mistake in his career but, his money, his choice. You can be certain that Pittsburg will not see the playoffs without a decent back, Big Ben is past the time he could carry them alone for more than a game or two.

He must report this year or lose his eligibility for free agency. And teams are not going to have the bidding war he expects if he has no problem with sitting out and costing the team victories. He makes $14m right now, not sure what tf he is thinking. Steeler players (who make much much less) are starting to turn on him.

#10790 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Looks like Bell may sit out until week 10 at the least.

Yep he could (Just 10 not more). My guess is they'er gonna run Conner hard and make him have a huge game to get Bell thinking he needs to head back. The issue is I understand holding out till deep in the season and keeping his already old body healthy for the next contract, but bro your team mates might dog it a little in helping you at that point

#10791 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Steeler players (who make much much less) are starting to turn on him.

His teammates first then the teams he hopes to sign with are gonna question whether he truly can be counted on to give it his all in pursuit of the Lombardy. He expects a lot of money and they will be hesitant to give it.

#10792 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

...then the teams he hopes to sign with are gonna question whether he truly can be counted on to give it his all...

Probably a bit of a stretch there. He's a top back in the league in his prime, he'll get paid. Anyone signing him would be giving him a long term deal which is all he wants. They're low balling him with the Tag and he hasn't made much cash yet comparatively.

#10793 5 years ago

as much as I hate domes, this rain delay makes me want to slide a plastic bubble over this whole fkin country for the next 5 months

#10794 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Probably a bit of a stretch there. He's a top back in the league in his prime, he'll get paid. Anyone signing him would be giving him a long term deal which is all he wants. They're low balling him with the Tag and he hasn't made much cash yet comparatively.

Yep. The system is bs. I don’t blame him one bit. Contracts are not guaranteed on the owners side, so why should he guarantee it on the players side. His teammates are a disgrace for publicly speaking out against him. Lack of solidarity is why they get hosed every contract.

#10795 5 years ago

Just a few flags in that game last night....

That was utterly ridiculous. And then some missed calls where they should’ve been and were clearly penalties, and others called when they shouldn’t have been at all.

Sad to see that the refs left off exactly where they were last year. Killing the pace of the game unnecessarily and repetitiously.

#10796 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Just a few flags in that game last night....
That was utterly ridiculous. And then some missed calls where they should’ve been and were clearly penalties, and others called when they shouldn’t have been at all.
Sad to see that the refs left off exactly where they were last year. Killing the pace of the game unnecessarily and repetitiously.

When not if, will Sarkisian be fired? Jay Ajayi is bad ass.

#10797 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

When not if, will Sarkisian be fired? Jay Ajayi is bad ass.

Yeah, given their struggles last year and now obviously continuing into this season, Sarkisian should go. Falcons stats in the red zone are horrendous. They have no problem getting down there though.

Because they have Julio Jones (well, that’s all they really have) they try way too many pass plays within the 5 yard line. They need to learn how to run the ball in. Especially with the new rule that the defender can force the jumper out of bounds.

#10798 5 years ago

And Ajayi is bad ass. Dan Marino even said so on a WIP interview yesterday, but he wouldn’t offer why Miami dumped him now that Marino is in their front office.

#10799 5 years ago

That game was like a continuation of the preseason. Unwatchable. Let's all hope for a better Sunday.

#10800 5 years ago

Redskins will win the NFC and AP is running for 2,100 yards. Gonna be sweet!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cupertino, CA
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
There are 75,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 216 of 1,507.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-official-2013-2014-nfl-thread/page/216?hl=dee-bow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.