pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy (1).gif
nfl films 1970 (resized).png
IMG_0255.gif
pinsidepool.gif
iblameyourflipperrubbers (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 75,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 215 of 1,507.
#10701 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

it wasn't because of Jim McMahan?

Nope, but Sweetness was rated as a pure "10".

#10702 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

it wasn't because of Jim McMahan?

GOAT!

#10703 6 years ago

Remember when the QB was fair game?

#10704 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Remember when the QB was fair game?
» YouTube video

Half the time on frikkin cement!

#10705 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Because it's a team game and Eli didn't "beat" Tom Brady, just like Foles didn't "beat" Tom Brady.
You've been watching football for like 60 years and you don't get that?
You have to look at the totality of career. Not too many people are gonna say Leon Spinks was a better boxer than Muhammad Ali just because he beat him. These are things you generally have to explain to a 6-year old.

In all 3 of Brady's SB losses he came from behind and took the lead with only minutes left in the game. He relied on his defense to protect the lead and all they needed to do was make one stop. They didn't. These things happen.

#10706 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

In all 3 of Brady's SB losses he came from behind and took the lead with only minutes left in the game.

Sounds like the few they won too. One thing about that team is they sure make it exciting win or lose.

#10707 6 years ago

deadhorse (resized).jpgdeadhorse (resized).jpg

#10708 6 years ago

27AFCBA7-2D06-40C9-B4D8-D2675AC94361 (resized).jpeg27AFCBA7-2D06-40C9-B4D8-D2675AC94361 (resized).jpeg

B03A545F-258B-455D-8025-10C936312C3E (resized).jpegB03A545F-258B-455D-8025-10C936312C3E (resized).jpeg

#10709 6 years ago

Wonder what the reason Malcolm Butler was benched for! I assumed late for curfew or missed a meeting..but he claims none of that to be true. Did the coach just give up on him?! He is a free agent i think so don't matter for next year but still weird! And it was shitty seeing him during the anthem when he found out.

#10710 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not too many people are gonna say Leon Spinks was a better boxer than Muhammad Ali just because he beat him.

Funny, as soon as I read Odin’s Ridiculous post, I immediately thought of this example.

#10711 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Funny, as soon as I read Odin’s Ridiculous post, I immediately thought of this example.

Funny, after reading this post it occurred to me Muhammad Ali beat Spinks the second time around. Unanimously.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#10712 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:Funny, after reading this post it occurred to me Muhammad Ali beat Spinks the second time around. Unanimously.

What are your thoughts on Larry Holmes? Sure, he was a good boxer, but better than Ali?

#10713 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

What are your thoughts on Larry Holmes? Sure, he was a good boxer, but better than Ali?

They both got old and took unnecessary beatings late in their careers.

But nobody ever beat Muhammed Ali twice. Nobody.

And the two that did beat him while he was in his prime, he beat twice.

#10714 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They both got old and took unnecessary beatings late in their careers.
But nobody ever beat Muhammed Ali twice. Nobody.
And the two that did beat him while he was in his prime, he beat twice.

Okay. Can’t argue with your logic. I wouldn’t even know how.

#10715 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Larry was a great fighter. He had no charisma, was kinda flabby, and he mopped up the division at a time when The competition was weak.

It’s hard to rate him. I do think in his prime - or even 1975, when Holmes was Ali’s sparring partner - ali would have beat him pretty easily. But seriously, Ali in 1967? Nobody was ever better.

Ever. Watch some of those fights. Amazing.

#10716 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Much better running-car-kick kind of fighter

#10717 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Okay. Can’t argue with your logic. I wouldn’t even know how.

Well to simplify, let's just say if either Frazier or Norton had been 2-0 against Ali while he was in his prime, we might be singing a little different tune today about who was the greatest.

But that's not the way it was or will ever be.

#10718 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well to simplify, let's just say if either Frazier or Norton had been 2-0 against Ali while he was in his prime, we might be singing a little different tune today about who was the greatest.
But that's not the way it was or will ever be.

Norton WAS 2-1 against ali in his career.

He just got robbed in ‘76, big time.

#10719 6 years ago

Tyson would've destroyed Ali when both where in there prime and George Foreman had the best grill named after him

2 months later
#10721 5 years ago

Yup...it's April

"Bengals Linebacker Vontaze Burfict Suspended Four Games For PED Use"

#10722 5 years ago

I wash hoping centerflank might drop back in to comment on Trevor Davis’ TSA woes ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/wireStory/packers-trevor-davis-accused-making-false-bomb-threat-54344888

1 month later
#10723 5 years ago

Manziel in the north.... come on... that excites us up here!

1 month later
#10724 5 years ago

Bump!

DSCN5947 (resized).JPGDSCN5947 (resized).JPG
#10725 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Bump!
[quoted image]

Still undefeated!

#10726 5 years ago

Watched some of that game last night. This “not lowering your helmet” rule is going to be a big pain in the ass this year. You can tell there will be a bunch of calls on various hits already.

Do they realize that somebody has to lower their head to lead with their shoulder? Here comes flag football.

#10727 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Bump!
[quoted image]

Hah. Damn near impossible to beat the 72 dolphins on that game. Csonka up the middle every play. No matter what the defense does, he is guaranteed 3 yards. My friends would get so pissed at me. 4th and 1 the entire field, 3 yard gain and a new set of downs. It took a whole quarter to score a touchdown, hence a 28-21 score was common. Your only chance would be if he fumbled, which he never did. It was like playing with the Giants in Techmo Bowl. Lawrence Taylor was unstoppable.

#10728 5 years ago

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny...…….where's the money???

1 week later
#10729 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Hah. Damn near impossible to beat the 72 dolphins on that game. Csonka up the middle every play. No matter what the defense

Funny, back in the day I didn't have much luck with that Dolphin team as my offense was more tuned around the halfback as there were more plays available.

So I'd generally take a team like the 85 Bears or 86 Giants and my halfback toss left in pro form was almost always a good gainer. I didn't even pick the 72 Fins in this game, my buddy picked them for me. But a good helping of Csonka definitely helped seal the victory.

1 week later
#10731 5 years ago

Hey o-din,

Sat Aug 25th NFL preseason game, week 3, Saints at L.A. Chargers
We don't play during the regular season, so for now, this will have to do.
Might see Drew Brees play QB for a bit in this game. I don't believe he played any minutes in pre-season games 1 & 2.
I guess coach Payton is busy trying to figure out our back-up QB situation.

Hopefully the next time the Saints play the Chargers will be in Super Bowl LIII (53) in Atlanta, GA on Feb 3rd, 2019.

#10732 5 years ago

Noone cares about the San Diego Chargers. They certainly won't be in the Super Bowl.

#10733 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Noone cares about the San Diego Chargers. They certainly won't be in the Super Bowl.

Well, if you say so vic, then I'll be happy for any of these other AFC teams to end up in Super Bowl LIII -vs- the Saints:

Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, or Raiders,
...or any of the AFC South teams as a sympathy vote.

#10734 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Well, if you say so vic, then I'll be happy for any of these other AFC teams to end up in Super Bowl LIII -vs- the Saints:
Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, or Raiders,
...or any of the AFC South teams as a sympathy vote.

None of those teams have a chance in hell to make it out of the AFC. Steelers or Patriots will play the Rams. The aints will lose to the Rams or some other team in the playoffs.

#10735 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Certainly the people in San Diego don't care since they are in L.A. now.

1 week later
#10736 5 years ago

He's OK with the move.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#10737 5 years ago

Repeat

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#10738 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Repeat
[quoted image]

We’ll see how Wentz recovers. Foles looks like he has settled back into his Rams playing form.

#10739 5 years ago

Haha no QBs at all but superbowl... Awesome!

#10740 5 years ago

Wentz will be back by the second game. Foles can play, but I think the preseason issue was all around. If you look at the scores, and the fact that the players’ union has already been saying for two years that they want to get rid of the preseason. I think players on every team tanked in the last few weeks this year on purpose to make it look like preseason games are pointless.

#10741 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Wentz will be back by the second game. Foles can play, but I think the preseason issue was all around. If you look at the scores, and the fact that the players’ union has already been saying for two years that they want to get rid of the preseason. I think players on every team tanked in the last few weeks this year on purpose to make it look like preseason games are pointless.

Yeah but I'm not sure 2 extra regular season games is a good idea...

#10742 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Yeah but I'm not sure 2 extra regular season games is a good idea...

It’s a fine idea, and those who gamble would probably agree. Besides, these guys make more than enough money to play two more games. I don’t want to hear about the wear on their bodies. They can play five years and retire. In what other profession can you do that?

Plus they don’t play during the preseason anymore, and they practice through OTA’s and training camps with nothing but shorts on. No pads. They are a bunch of divas.

At one time, guys played for a lot less money and played much harder, and they wore leather friggin helmets.

#10743 5 years ago

Let's cut pre-season down to 3 games, and leave regular season as it currently is.

#10744 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

At one time, guys played for a lot less money and played much harder, and they wore leather friggin helmets.

And at one time our ancestors had a life expectancy of 31 years and if they were lucky they'd be decapitated in their turnip field by a passing knight to spare them a lingering death at the hands of small pox, plague, or dysentery. Thankfully conditions occasionally improve and we're not stuck with what was good enough for our forefathers.

As a fan I'd be happy scrapping the pre-season and adding a game or two. For the players, volunteering for two additional opportunities per year at career-ending injury and subsequent termination of employment would be totally irrational. If the NFL would suck it up and guarantee all contracts for injury they'd have more credibility in this argument.

#10745 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Besides, these guys make more than enough money to play two more games.

I'm not sure the NFLPA will see it that way...

#10746 5 years ago

Yes, the American dream. Argue that you want $20 million more a year in salary to do less work.

Each can speak to their own. But I’ll tell you what… I would take the possibility of a career ending injury for $20 million a year and play 20 regular season games for five years, and be able to retire by the time I’m 35. Even though I’m already 41. Shit, I would take that risk for $3 million a year, and I would do so without all the attitude and drama.

Back to actual football teams, the Rams are going nowhere this year. Goff and Gurley are absolute animals, but unfortunately the Rams will have enough drama in their locker room to keep them busy for the season.

#10747 5 years ago

I don't think you understand how much the average NFL player makes in their first 5 years. The average makes about $365k and goes up about $10k per year through their rookie contract. That also puts them in a pretty high tax bracket for most of it. Almost all NFL players are not set for life after 5 years, they are injured and have some sort of pain for the rest of their lives.

#10748 5 years ago

I do know how NFL salary structures and rookie contracts work, but I’m not sure you do.

Pursuant to the 2018 NFL Compensation, Salary & Incentives Update, “the four-year minimum base salaries for players in this year's draft are as follows: $480,000 (Year 1), $555,000 (Year 2), $630,000 (Year 3) and $705,000 (Year 4). If eventually signed to a contract, each rookie drafted will get a four-year deal, whereas undrafted rookies are only eligible for three-year contracts.” So I’m not sure where you came up with 365K plus and 10K more per year. (My firm also does sports and entertainment law, and I just got done reviewing a contract of one of the Giants players a month or so ago).

And that is only base salary. Beginning in 2012, rookies also became eligible for certain performance-based incentives.

The reality is only 38% of rookies are on the field for every game of their first season in the NFL. In their second year, that only goes up to 72% (obviously unless you are one of the top 10 draft picks, a quarterback, or star receiver).

Beside the fact, my hypothetical was based upon a player who most likely proved themself, and was now making a decent payday. Either way, I would still assume whatever risks they have to make their paycheck and be able to retire 30 years early. If anybody wants to argue that today’s NFL players are not divas, they must not be watching the same NFL that I watch. That’s just my opinion, and everybody is entitled to their own.

#10749 5 years ago

You’re way off Colson. Most players don’t make millions. The average NFL career is less than 4 years. And half of it goes to taxes.

#10750 5 years ago

As for the Rams, who knows how all these moves are going to work out. McVeigh basically didn’t play any of their starters in the preseason. We’ll see if there is any rust against the a raiders.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
There are 75,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 215 of 1,507.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-official-2013-2014-nfl-thread/page/215 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.