New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 57695)

Official NFL Thread

By centerflank

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26,313 posts
  • 397 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Jaybird815
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,047 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

06BEFF37-DB11-4E61-9A75-F755A91BDCBA (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20201026-164848~3 (resized).png
IMG-20201026-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
IMG-20201020-WA0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG-20201020-WA0023 (resized).jpeg
IMG-20201020-WA0028 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20201026-003027~2 (resized).png
F21221DA-CEA1-40B8-84B3-C4802D21451C (resized).png
DSCN7294 (resized).JPG
B771612E-6461-406A-87D0-7DB0D816200B (resized).jpeg
81EF6B61-46D9-49DC-B0A9-CE37E38313A1 (resized).jpeg
41412D40-536B-434E-9826-0DB678558E2D (resized).jpeg
EFCCAC7F-CC93-481A-A1C0-56306DCC5B40 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20201023-091940~2 (resized).png
2EFF70DE-5970-47A1-83AD-87BF892C0322 (resized).jpeg
F4FC6685-142A-4110-B211-F6C4FA3956A4 (resized).jpeg

There are 26313 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 527.
#6201 4 years ago

It would have for sure. But too little too late for Brady. He dug his grave in the first half and couldn't recover. Ifs and buts

#6202 4 years ago

If anything, Gronk deserves all accolades for keeping them in that game DESPITE Brady and his 2 totally inexcusable INTs.

Better team on all fronts won that game!

#6203 4 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Time to become a Nascar fan. It's like watching golf, but with the occasional car wreck. Now if only they could get Danica to start racing in a spandex jumpsuit.

#6204 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If anything, Gronk deserves all accolades for keeping them in that game DESPITE Brady and his 2 totally inexcusable INTs.
Better team on all fronts won that game!

kudos to gronk, but not "all" accolades, brady put the ball on the money despite gronk being double covered.

#6205 4 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

kudos to gronk, but not "all" accolades, brady put the ball on the money despite gronk being double covered.

sorry but the dude went 2/15 for 3rd down conversions and 2/4 for 4th down conversions.

He had a few decent passes but more crappy passes and INTs when the game really counted.

#6206 4 years ago

No matter how many times you watch the replays and try to see it otherwise the Patriots got beat in every phase of the game, plain and simple. Cardinals need a miracle to get back in this one.

#6207 4 years ago

no ones arguing patriots got beat.
so far, all carolina.

#6208 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No matter how many times you watch the replays and try to see it otherwise the Patriots got beat in every phase of the game, plain and simple. Cardinals need a miracle to get back in this one.

You're correct even got out coached. Going on 4th down twice passed up 6 points and they lost by 2.

Not a great year for NE.

Cudos to Den but the Panthers are going to roll.

#6210 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not a great year for NE.

They made it further than they should have this year by sheer will. Weaknesses usually show up in the playoffs.

#6211 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This ain't over yet.

You got that right!

Edit- never mind

#6212 4 years ago

Jesus. Carson Palmer takes too fucking many risks. He has his whole career and will never change.

#6213 4 years ago

double coverage palmer, double coverage.

#6214 4 years ago

Another half to play. Anything can happen...

#6215 4 years ago

OmaHA vs Readddyyyyy! Cadencebowl

#6216 4 years ago

34 - 7, take newton out now, even superman can get hurt.

#6217 4 years ago

Congrats on Manning advancing to the Super Bowl. Hopefully he can get one more ring for his legacy. Go Broncos

#6218 4 years ago

Manning's play was solid. I'm not sure he has that big comeback in him like he used to, but if Denver's D can play solid and not let a team like Carolina jump out to an early lead, they have a good chance of winning it. Denver's D is much better than the Card's.

#6219 4 years ago

gotta go with carolina at this point. newton's mobility big factor. But then again, I've been wrong all freaking season so why change now.

#6220 4 years ago

Palmer with 6 turnovers...HOF here he comes!

#6221 4 years ago

I've got the Panthers in the sb. Anyone wanna bet a hundo on the broncos? Straight up or spread, doesn't matter.

#6222 4 years ago

I just saw a stat line that made me go "wow".

Denver defenders hit Tom Brady 23 times on Sunday. That was 11 more than his previous season high. Brady was 2-for-15 for 3 yards, a touchdown and an interception when pressured. ESPN.com

#6223 4 years ago

Denver won because of a stout defense and Peyton not making mistakes. Lucky for Peyton it was a balmy 46 degrees in Denver. Credit the Pats for making a game of it and almost sending it to overtime. Gostkowski made over 500 straight PATs before that miss.

The Panthers destroyed the Cards. Another great defensive team that should have no problem stopping the Broncos in the Super Bowl. Cam is much better than Peyton at this point in their careers.

#6224 4 years ago

Yeah, I see no way that Cam does not just run away with the SB. Would love to see Peyton go out on top and win 1 more to end it all, but aside from the Denver D putting a big hurt on Cam early in the game I dont see it happening.

Hoping for a good match up and not the blow out we got last night.

#6225 4 years ago

Like the Panthers. How about a team that actually runs the ball. Also Cam has one of those seasons is hard to believe 10 rushing TDs in the regular season and several more in the Playoffs.

#6226 4 years ago

I know the Broncos won fair and square. I just want to vent on what I think doomed them, first missing a PAT early in the game put them off the point meaning they were relying on a 2-pt conversion to tie the game.

A 2-pt conversion is not easy overall it's maybe 50-50 and against the Broncos the way they were playing, probably more like 25%

So they were behind the 8-ball waiting for a 25% chance just to tie the game. I don't usually worry about one missed point but in this game it was HUGE, the whole game after that I was thinking how much that point would come back to haunt them.

Saw how hard it was for Brand to convert on 3rd and 4th down all day, so I figured the 2-point conversion would be just as hard. It's not like they were walking up and down the field.

So with that being said, you don't lightly pass up 3-points. Which they did not once but twice.

Like I said 3 FG wins the game. A TD and a 2-point conversion just ties the game. Heck one FG and one TD is a whole hell of a lot better than a TD and a 2-pt conversion.

But all NE was trying for (it seemed was that TD and 2-pt conversion)

Here is what someone else wrote on a blog, that I think is pertinent.

----------------
Pats are down by 8 points, 6 minutes to go, ball on the 17 yard line, and it’s 4th down….. what does Belichick do? Well, if he would have taken the points instead of being greedy, the Patriots are in their 2nd straight Super Bowl!

BTW, the Patriots got the ball back 4 more times!
-----------------

I know the game would not have played out exactly the same if NE had kicked 1-2 FG when they were in range (and their kicker who despite missing one PAT is one of if not the best kicker in the league).

NE would have kicked off and Den would have Kick return and might have had better field position and the plays might have been different if they were up by 5 or 2 points (instead of 8 ) but the point is, NE passed up 6 points at least in a game they lost by 2 points.

#6227 4 years ago

bad coaching definately had an impact but to me if you are looking to place blame, the main culprit is the guy that tossed 2 crappy INTs.

I think we are going to see some adjusted play calling in future years in those 4th down situations since PAT is no longer a gimme. Take the 3 points would have changed MANY games this year. Hell, the Bears would have been in the playoffs if they had just taken the 3 point FG in a couple of games (granted that woudl mean that they actually needed to make the FG ) rather than trying to bank it all on a TD and 2pt conversion.

#6228 4 years ago

here is a column on NE kicker Stephen Gostkowski. You can tell he feels responsible for the loss.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14638095/stephen-gostkowski-new-england-patriots-misses-extra-point-ending-nine-year-streak

He had made 523 consecutive PAT before that and all his PAT in the play-offs (60). Only other PAT he ever missed was blocked.

Overall he missed 2 PAT in his career something like 564 made and 2 misses. While the longer PAT in todays NFL is harder to make they are still like 95% made while 2-point conversion still less than 50%

Over the last 3 years he was like 92% on his FGs

#6229 4 years ago

wasn't this the first year that they changed the distance for the PAT?

#6230 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

wasn't this the first year that they changed the distance for the PAT?

yes this is the first time the PAT was pushed back and more PATs have been missed this year, but Gostkoski had made 55 this year without a miss.

#6231 4 years ago

Missed XP, not going for FG all had something to do with it, but really the Pats O-line was just beaten like a high school team.
Everyone knows the only thing that rattles Brady in any way is getting no time to do anything, and that defense was just crushing the O-line like no ones business. No time to throw, no offense, end of story.

#6232 4 years ago

What I saw was Denver's defense stuffing the run, covering recievers, and putting Brady on his ass multiple times. And the offense made few mistakes. That contributed greatly to the Bronco's victory and of course the Patriots defeat.

#6233 4 years ago

Yep, I don't put that much blame on Brady. He was on his back all day. I do think they were trying for the TD too hard at the end. They had two chances for a FG before they scored the TD and both times they went for it on 4th down instead. But that's what makes Belicheck a great coach. He takes chances when most don't and they usually pay off. That defensive line for Denver was just amazing though. Towards the end of the game, they were only rushing 3 guys and were still getting pressure. If you want to put any blame on NE, it was the offensive line but I don't feel like NE lost the game. Denver just won it.

It will be interesting to see in 2 weeks how that D does against Carolina. I heard someone say that 2 years ago everyone was talking about a great O taking a great D and look how that turned out. I guess we'll see.

#6234 4 years ago

If Denver sticks to their guns and plays their game then Carolina may have a hard time running away with it like they did yesterday. But it only takes a couple big plays for it to get out of hand early. Panther's D is pretty good too. I'm just going to sit back and watch it.

#6235 4 years ago

\

Quoted from o-din:If Denver sticks to their guns and plays their game then Carolina may have a hard time running away with it like they did yesterday. But it only takes a couple big plays for it to get out of hand early. Panther's D is pretty good too. I'm just going to sit back and watch it.

Yeah it could go either way. I can see these guys just keeping Cam in the pocket and closing in on him, or I can see Cam hopping up and running for 10 yards every play.

My guess is Panthers but you know damn well all the calls are going to go Broncos way.

#6236 4 years ago

I hope the refs have nothing to do with the outcome. I know the Card's pretty much choked yesterday but early on the officials weren't helping when they were trying to stay in it.

Denver's D is very fast. You don't need to be big to tackle a guy Cam Newton's size. Just fast and get a good grip on him.

#6237 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I hope the refs have nothing to do with the outcome. I know the Card's pretty much choked yesterday but early on the officials weren't helping when they were trying to stay in it.
Denver's D is very fast. You don't need to be big to tackle a guy Cam Newton's size. Just fast and get a good grip on him.

or go for the knees like they did Gronk.

#6238 4 years ago

Grab the legs is more what I was thinking. I'm sure the Bronco's secondary will do a much better job covering the recievers than Arizona did.

#6239 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Grab the legs is more what I was thinking. I'm sure the Bronco's secondary will do a much better job covering the recievers than Arizona did.

That secondary played very good Sunday. There were times that Brady had a little time to throw but no one to throw to.

#6240 4 years ago

Last time these two teams played was 2012 so it is hard to say how they will match up.

#6241 4 years ago

F ing crybaby Patriots. Go F yourselves.

You got your F ing Asses whipped all over the F ing field yesterday.

F you hoodie man. You got out coached by a couple of "retreads"

And, btw, Carolina is next. Broncos will shut em down. Fig Newton ain't no Tom Brady.

#6242 4 years ago

Haha. That was one hell of a rant Iceman.

#6243 4 years ago

newton ain't no brady, newton is a LOT more mobile. I agree with TheLaw, do they keep newton in the pocket and force him to throw, or flush him out in which case he gets 10-15 yards per romp. I'm more interested in what the defenses will do instead of the offense for once. One thing though, I don't see manning throwing 6 picks.

#6244 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. That was one hell of a rant Iceman.

Must be on his 2nd Shirley Temple.

#6245 4 years ago

I did bet on Carolina at the start of the playoffs to win it all...so they do have that working agianst them.

#6246 4 years ago

Don't ever change, Iceman!

#6247 4 years ago

Two weeks between games

#6248 4 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Two weeks between games

And if you don't like that wait, imagine how long it is after next week til pre-season!

#6249 4 years ago

Did anyone actually watch the Pro Bowl? It's easily the worst of all of the pro sports all star games.

#6250 4 years ago

I haven't watched a minute of it in 25 years. And I watch every single regular season game. I don't watch too much of the pre-season either. Easily NFL could go down to 1-2 pre-season games.

I'd rather watch the players wives play in the pro bowl than the players.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Porte, IN
350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Oakland, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
New York, NY
Boards
PinSound
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 21.00
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
B & K Mods
$ 21.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
There are 26313 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 527.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside