Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,276 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by hlaj78
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 6 years ago

Just got SlingTV this fall right before the new season. I remembered hearing about this show before they started it, but quickly forgot about it. So I did one of those all day marathons when they had back to back episodes, and I was hooked.

I find that stuff intriguing. At least they've found something. May not be much of anything anymore, but shows that there was activity. Which it would be really cool to see what actually really went on 200-300 years ago.

But I'd really wish they'd just turn it into a 30 minute show, and stop repeating everything every episode.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I just find it hard to believe that people back in the day would be capable of hiding something that far down.
    The pyramids, cities with plumbing before plumbing, and they covered that there were some people known for tunneling even under the ocean, just to name a few things that would seem impossible.

I think people were a lot more capable back when there was no modern equipment. I think the laziness of cutting corners and making things more "up to code" has made us think that it's the only way things can be built today. We just assume that everything has to be made with a machine. An excavator can only dig so far into the ground. But with enoug time and people, they were able to go a lot further. I'm still amazed at how they built the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. All the details they have way up top and how heavy they must be. But yet so perfectly placed.

#62 6 years ago

I think it's amazing how a single coin ends up in the middle of the trees. Makes me wonder, did they not have pockets? are they just carrying around fistfulls of coins around with them?

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

I agree with you on this being farm land back in the day and how easy it might be to lose some coins from a pocket. But, if you think about how money was handled years ago its different then how we handle it today meaning you probably were not walking around with pockets of loose change. If you were a farm hand out working in the field then why do you have money in your pocket at that moment. It's not like you are going to stop at the corner store for a drink or bag of chips during your work day. So why have money in your pocket to potentially lose. I would think your hard earned coins would be back in your room tied up tight behind your purse strings. Seems like coins had more value back then too, they were not change from bill money like they are today. So losing a coin years ago would be like losing a 5, 10 or 20 dollar bill today. When I'm working around my house for the day I never have my wallet in my pocket.

That was exactly my thought. Pretty sure they could have figured out what my grandpa figured out in the 50's when he farmed. "Don't take your wallet out into the field unless you plan on losing it."

I'm just curious how money got where it got. In today's world I can see a lot of loose change being dropped from people pulling car keys out of their pockets, phones, etc. But yeah, back then, I'd think it'd be more guarded.

But finding just one single coin in the dirt as opposed to multiple ones in the same vicinity, just makes me wonder.

#79 6 years ago

This show also makes me want to metal detect on the property that I grew up on. My dads always said that there are rumors of buried silver dollars on our property. Back in the late 1800's there used to be a tavern on our land, and it was said that the owner didn't believe in banks, so he hid his money in the walls or buried it.

The tavern is long gone and is unknown to where it exactly sat. But we have found MANY bottles in the washway down towards the ditch that leads to a waterway. Seems like every couple years, a new bottle somehow resurfaces out of the dirt. And each one we pick out is still in perfect condition. Never broken.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

i would display at least 1 of those bottles in my home.

We had them lined up on top of the cabinets in the kitchen. Then when those filled up the space, dad just kept them out in the garage. And I don't know that we ever found any duplicates. Small blue ones, big brown ones, bunch of clear ones. All different shapes and sizes and colors. And as far as I remember, none of them had any branding on them. Any labels were long gone, and nothing even molded into the bottles.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh yeah! Tons of Subway Tunnels! More than any game, and Random Kickouts!
    Go in one Hole/Tunnel, Who knows which one it will come out from!

How about a multi machine setup too. At a certain point in the game, you have to go to a different machine and play. But there's no guarantee that you'll get any points. But in order to play the other machine, there has to be someone else there calling out all the shots.

Also, a note to the vendors, they have to be perfectly lined up due east and west of each other with a POTC set up between them.

#124 6 years ago

The whole Templar thing last night was pretty cool regardless. I'd love to walk through that old family castle.

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Also that so far only one word or phrase on the translated map was wrong.

That part seemed very significant at the time, then they dropped it and never mentioned any more of it. If one was miss-translated, why did they not ask about the others? Seems that they may have figured out some more, but don't want to reveal it all yet, because why not mention it at all in the war room?

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I love this show ...hate the questions the narrator says (and the way he reads them).
    The place will be a great tourist attraction when the show is finally over

I think it currently is. I had a friend who posted photos with the two main guys. She posted those photos and a screenshot of the episode a few weeks ago and both brothers had on the same closes as in her photos. She said the brothers also talked about the drill bit getting stuck on that day, and that was also in that same episode.

#183 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Add two human bones from the late 1700's at 155 (approx. feet) Pottery, a British Military settlement with more coins, and military hardware found.

You stated that incorrectly. I fixed it for you.

Two human bones? From the late 1700's? At 155 (approx. feet)? Pottery, a British Military settlement? More coins? Military hardware found? On Oak Island?

#191 6 years ago

Speaking of finding treasures, go watch "Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable."

It's something that you'll need to watch. It's hard to explain. Just go watch it. And if you have seen it, no spoilers on what they uncover.

SPOILERS Below by Azmodeus. Advert your eyes. Go watch it now. Don't look, or google search.

#196 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

im going to watch that hell yes. just read this comment.
    If the comments section on Netflix is any indication, the film appears to be just as divisive as the exhibition itself. “Don’t be fooled—it is not a documentary,” one commentator wrote. “I want my 90 minutes back,” wrote another.
    i got ninety to spare!
    https://news.artnet.com/art-world/damien-hirst-created-fake-documentary-venice-show-can-see-netflix-1192922

Well, it was more fun watching it going into it without knowing what it was about.

#206 6 years ago
    Quoted from urbanledge:

You do know thats a documentary ?

I think the point was to not spoil it.

#220 6 years ago

Since we're talking about finding our own treasure, I just remembered these two ladies.

Found these around home plate one summer in two different instances where my dad and I were up having batting practice back around 1994-95.

The land where our football field, golf course, and baseball fields currently stand, used to be an old horse race track in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Not sure when it shut down, but was early in the 1900's. And cool thing is, you can still see the track on Google Maps, even though you'd never be able to tell from the ground.

laharpe-coins (resized).jpglaharpe-coins (resized).jpg

FoundCoins (resized).jpgFoundCoins (resized).jpg

#222 6 years ago

The plane crash in US Marshals is now apart of a scuba dive park in Southern Illinois. I don't believe that's where they filmed it. It was moved to that location not far from where they filmed it at, I believe.

I have family down in S. Illinois, and have wanted to pick up scuba diving just to go check it out.

#240 6 years ago

We know there's something of some interest still to see. According to that blog that was poster here earlier, the dive team is still going in.

That Hunter Hitler show has grabbed my attention. Always fascinated by old structures and such. Seems like a lost cause, but it's still kinda interesting to see areas that were once used during WWII.

#246 6 years ago

Since hearing of the different levels of oak platforms that go down to the "Treasure", (shown in the above image) I've kinda wondered why and who would take the time to do that. If they were spaced 10 feet apart, that just seemed like a lot of effort. But looking at the picture, I'm wondering now if it was apart of their original scaffolding to get down that far. As they finished their work, the just brought up the boards one level at at time to create a platform? Would be a way to "seal" off the tunnel, and make it harder to go down. Or maybe their thoughts at least.

This may have been said before, that was just my observation.

#247 6 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

That lead cross could have existed and been worn around the necks of 4 or 5 generations of a family before it was lost in the islands. Items like that were valuable cherished and valuable back in those days, not like these days of disposable everything.

That was my thought when Rick said something like "This predates original island activity." I can see if they can date something to 1800, then they know it was never on the island before that time. But when the item is from 1200ad, then that leaves a lot of time that it could have been lost there.

1 week later
    #306 6 years ago

I think last night's episode is proof that they don't show everything they pull up from the money pit. Last night's episode was the first that I've seen of that purple wood. Maybe I missed it, but guessing I didn't because they would have shown it during every commercial break in any previous episode.

So I think they'll hold back if they find anything significant.

#327 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

They should use some of this fancy LiDAR imaging to see what's underneath...
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/maya-laser-lidar-guatemala-pacunam/
    ...might make for a short season though.
    EDIT> nevermind, LiDAR obviously traces the shape of the earth, not what's underneath it.

But as Hunting Hitler showed us, it may show areas in the dirt that may have once been dug up. Wouldn't help the money pit, but could help in creating more questions in other areas of the island. "A circular divot? On Oak Island? Could this be the works of Templar Knights? Or maybe a 10 year old with a shovel? Rick and Marty bring in an excavator and cut down 100's of trees to find out."

1 week later
    #356 6 years ago

Saw this too. What a money grab. Guess I'll be watching this one too. Damn History Channel!

#364 6 years ago

Don't forget that people will have to die because of this pinball machine.

Reminds me of the show in the late 90's called "When Cars attack." Completely made up mockumentary about how cars have brains and will attack it's owners at any moment. It was shown on NBC primetime or one of the big networks. I remember watching it as they totally presented it deadpan. They even went all out to place the evolution of this "Brain" on a table from the earliest of cars to the modern ones.

1 week later
    #408 6 years ago

Anyone else think they need to send a magnet on a string down the center of the shaft? Wouldn't that be a real easy way to tell if it's metal at the bottom? Granted they send the magnet down without any swing so that catches the side.

#413 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i suppose that'd be a great plan if iron weren't the 4th most common element in the Earth's crust.

But wouldn't they be able to tell if it mounts itself to a nice big solid piece of metal, like they think they've hit? And not just pick up tiny fragments?

1 week later
    #445 6 years ago

Man, the History Channel is going all in on Templar shows. Just saw a new one I haven't seen. It's set up and feels just like Hunting Hitler. They're trying to retrace the steps of the Templars.

#449 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Hahaha. This seems like bs to me. There’s been multiple people die that have spent years looking for the treasure. The most recent is Fred Nolan, he looked for the treasure most of his life, passed away, not counted as the seventh?

What about that son that died between this season and the last?

#476 6 years ago

So wait, the final episode has happened? My SlingTV didn't record it. I thought they may have pushed it back a week, because I had three recordings from yesterday. One was last week's episode. One looked like a recap of Oak Island in general called "Family Album" or something like that, and the 3rd was an 8 minute preview of the final episode.

So confused.

So what did they determine from the diver? The preview only showed that he couldn't stand on the bottom, because of gel or something, and they said he was getting out to put weights on, and that was it.

#485 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

The descendants of Daniel McGinnis said that it was a little known fact that 3 treasure chests were found. There may not be any treasure left to find.

Too bad we can't watch THAT show. Would have been cool to see the original digging of the money pit.

8 months later
    #572 5 years ago

I know they are probably waiting to see for themselves before they say anything, but they've already called stuff Templar and speculated a lot more about other things. So that keeps me wondering why they keep calling it a "mysterious U-Shaped structure."

I mean, I'm no expert, but the first guy in the mid-1900's built a Cofferdam to find the water tunnels, but instead found a mysterious U-Shaped structure. Now the guys are building another, bigger Cofferdam to surround the mid-1900's Cofferdam and the mysterious U-Shaped structure. So two modern U-shaped structures around an ancient one.

Why haven't they just come out and say that this U-shaped structure "might" be the original Cofferdam that built the water tunnels? Seems kinda obvious to me.

#581 5 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

I feel the commercials bring me up to speed on whats going on. No need to watch the whole show.

Only problem with that is that they're misleading a lot of the times. *They show a button*, "This changes everything! It's a Templar weapon from the 12th century."

#582 5 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

i feel the narrator is less over the top and repetitive.
    a guilty pleasure of mine.

Over the top? On Oak Island? Could it be that....

#613 5 years ago
    Quoted from jesster64:

Its funny though, they find just the right items to keep interest peaked. Jewelry, roman spear point, old cross, old coins, possible plank from an old sailing vessel, cocanut fiber, bone fragments, pottery fragments, parchment fragment,old nails, not to mention cut timber underground. What next, a cannon from blackbeards boat. cant they shove a metal detector down one of the bore holes to see if any metal around?

I'm sure they find a lot more than what they show us. At the end of the last season, there was a lot on the table that was never really shown on screen before.
    It's just editing. Would be curious as to how many hours of video from the different cameras they have to have around. GoPro's, Drones, multiple handhelds, etc.

1 month later
    #685 5 years ago

I thought I'd go ahead and point out this comment I made back on Dec 2nd. Seems I may have always been right?

"I know they are probably waiting to see for themselves before they say anything, but they've already called stuff Templar and speculated a lot more about other things. So that keeps me wondering why they keep calling it a "mysterious U-Shaped structure."

I mean, I'm no expert, but the first guy in the mid-1900's built a Cofferdam to find the water tunnels, but instead found a mysterious U-Shaped structure. Now the guys are building another, bigger Cofferdam to surround the mid-1900's Cofferdam and the mysterious U-Shaped structure. So two modern U-shaped structures around an ancient one.

Why haven't they just come out and say that this U-shaped structure "might" be the original Cofferdam that built the water tunnels? Seems kinda obvious to me."

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/12#post-4714940

#687 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

They have stated this a few times, and repeated....last couple episodes.

That is correct. But my comment came before that. I just wanted to show you guys how smart I am. It just seemed like an obvious answer, and just always wondered why they never called it out until they put eyes on it.

#695 5 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

They have the coffer dam down to bedrock. Why not try to drain all of the shafts now to see if they can dry them out to get a water free look in all the holes?

I was kinda wondering the same. I mean they tried to drain the shafts before, but they eventually filled back up. So why not test it out again and see if they fill up again, or maybe not as fast?

And the whole stars thing is interesting. I know navigating by the stars was common back then. But I can't imagine what all it would take to measure out and place objects in the exact same location on the ground. I mean, how do you figure out the scale? Goes to show we have it way too easy today. "Google. Navigate to McDonald's."

Also, who else was thinking that they should check that one star point that landed in the water just north of Oak Island?

#724 5 years ago

Anyone have SlingTV and having issues with it recording the series? Last night after the show started, I went to go watch it from the beginning, but Sling didn't record it. I searched ahead and saw they were replaying it around midnight and recorded that one.

#736 5 years ago

After watching this latest episode, I'm surprised they didn't mention one thing. Doesn't mean that they didn't, and it just wasn't shown on TV.

But a few episodes back they proved that their little drill holes can stray up to 8 feet and not be a perfectly vertical hole.

The last episode they mentioned that they were still confused why the smaller drill picked up artifacts, but when they did the larger caison directly over that smaller hole, (was it H8?) it found nothing.

Why didn't they connect the two? That maybe the smaller drill strayed off and actually hit artifacts, but the larger caison is more perfectly vertical, and in fact there's nothing there and their theory of shoving the vault out of the way isn't true, they've just missed it by a couple feet.

Seems like they should have done that test last year before they put in the big can. And now that they've completely obliterated that first pilot hole, there'd be no way to really tell which direction it went.

#743 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Like a crappily tuned pin game, this show is a snooze fest... this whole idea of treasure being buried this way just doesn’t pass the logical smell test for me. Surprised the show has lasted so long to be honest. I do like stories of lost treasures found and what it takes to find mother lodes , like the Atocha find, but I just can’t see anything of significance being found on this site.

Difference being, learning about it after it was found. And learning about it while it's still being looked for. But you probably wouldn't have found the Atocha very interesting if you started watching it when they started looking for it. From Wiki: "Beginning in 1969, American treasure hunters Mel Fisher, Finley Ricard and a team of sub-contractors, funded by investors and others in a joint venture, searched the sea bed for the Atocha for sixteen and a half years" Sounds a lot like Oak Island to me.

I for one find this very interesting. And hell, I couldn't care less if a real treasure was found. If all they kept digging up was dirt, sure, I'd be gone already. But they've found stuff. And that stuff mesmerizes me. Fragments of bone, and pottery 100 feet down in the ground? On Oak Island? Could it be Templar Knights? The Holy Grail? Shakespeare's work? .....Sorry. Fell into a trance.

But still it got down there somehow, and I want to know more.

#754 5 years ago

Anyone else laugh at the mention of the "token?" It looked too perfectly round and had a hard lip around it. I would have thought it was modern. But then of course the announcer had to jump in and say how tokens were used in ancient times.

#764 5 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I still like the wire cable in the dam excavation. Nothing said!

I was wondering about that myself. My guess was that it was from that one guy in the 60's from a crane that he used, and since it was from him, there was no real need to waste time talking about it.

1 week later
    #769 5 years ago

I almost cringed when I heard that, Matty, Maddie, Maddy? mention something about, "...find something next season."

#774 5 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Was there not a new episode yesterday?
    My DVR got nothing.

My DVR didn't record either, but watched it live. All it was was the guy who does the behind the scenes episodes where he talks to the people, and is a total fanboy. Nothing new this episode for treasure seeking. It was just him talking to everyone and asking them about the "curse" of Oak Island. Mainly everyone just telling their stories of how they've been spooked. I could have passed on this episode, so you didn't miss much.

1 week later
    #783 5 years ago

We need to do something about sinkholes. In the last 5 years, they have grown to many and have destroyed and even eaten homes. They are attacking unannounced. 10 years ago you never once thought about sinkholes. Now I'm looking over my shoulder everywhere I walk hoping that one isn't going to grab my ankles and pull me under. We have to put a stop to them!

#785 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Sinkholes aren't allowed in Carmel. The police will cite them for vagrancy.

We also pay the weather to stay away.

#793 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

yes satellite tracking works great 200 feet underground...

And not to mention, probably sand-filled voids.

What's that one post that everyone keeps posting at least once a year? The college professor put rocks in a glass and the class said the glass was completely full. Then he put in Pebbles, which filled inbetween the rocks.. Then the class was shocked. Then he poured sand in, and the class couldn't believe their eyes and were feeling really really dumb for thinking the glass was full. Then some stupidly dumb student asked why he also had a cup of coffee on his desk, in the morning, at 8:30am, and then he poured the coffee in the glass with the sand, pebbles, and rocks, and all the students brains explodes because they couldn't believe it. Then the moral of the story was, don't be a complete a$$. Use common sense. Or something like that.

#797 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

The question I have is how they got a permit for the dam at all. Must be because of the fact that previous digs have been done there, and that area is not an undisturbed area. All that sea life and shore line flora and fauna must be protected, according to the environmentalists.

Something tells me that the government got a nice big check this year. Last year they paused a lot of digs once they found something. This year I feel that they have a faster track to all that.

#807 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

An underwater triangular shadow?!!? Could it be pointing towards the money pit???
    Did I miss anything at the end? I fell asleep right when they thought they found red dye coming out of the rocks. Anything happen after that?

Yes! They tested it, and it came back POSITIVE! Then when they tested it again, the concentration.....WAS EVEN MORE!

#808 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I'm going to go back and look at the tape to confirm but, did anyone else see a big pipe (like the size of a house main) coming out of the same area of the concrete wall that has the small pipes in it they discovered?

Saw that. I didn't bother going back to look. My quick assumption was that it was a wooden log from the dock, or maybe brought in to brace the wall.

1 week later
    #824 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Didn't catch it this week. What did I miss?

Not much. The things of interest in the water were just kelp covered rock. But I wonder if they showed us everything? Was pretty vague and they mentioned at the beginning that even touching things on the ocean floor were illegal, but then one of the last dives they showed one of the divers kicking up a bunch of sediment and looked like he was running his hand across it.

They decided to expose the entire wharf and then will remove it to see what's under it. And one thing I was wondering was if their own cofferdam cut through anything, and this past episode I believe that Laird guy said he could see the wharf continue past the dam during low-tide. It was briefly mentioned, and they never showed it.

#844 5 years ago

Really surprised about how quickly they showed what was at the bottom of the new hole they dug. They showed the choosing of the location, and pulling stuff out all in one episode instead of 3. Hope that's a good sign meaning that they have so much good stuff to show that they now have to cram it all in instead of spreading it out.

2 weeks later
    #849 5 years ago

The more I watch this, and the amount of time and energy I know it probably takes to do everything they do, they more I think, "thank god I'm not the one doing all that."

Like the whole coffer dam, and digging up the crane platform. And also mapping out everything they find in smiths cove. Glad we get the Cliff Notes version. It'd be exhausting. I'm not one for repetitive tasks. So I know I'd never be able to be a hammer grab operator.

#859 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

You're right. Originally they listed this season as having 30 episodes, but now they are saying only 22. Makes sense, seeing how late into the season the latest episode was.

Maybe counted the "Digging Deeper" episodes?

#866 5 years ago

Lets just solve this once and for all. Season 7. Only 2 episodes. First one shows them cutting down all the trees to get this thing from wherever it's at to Oak Island. And the second show is them turning it on, getting a few revolutions out of the blade, and boom, already at bedrock in the entire island. Done. Jack will find whatever the spoils have with his garden hose.

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 12.22.50 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-04-04 at 12.22.50 PM (resized).png
    #869 5 years ago

I remember seeing a show about it on Modern Marvels or something like that. It's insane the amount of earth it can move.

3 weeks later
    #876 4 years ago

Stupid Sling. It didn't record because it was called "Digging Deeper." So I caught the last 1/2 hour. Didn't seem like I missed a whole lot at least. No results from the swamp, and I'm guessing the strike was still going on.

But at least we now have the Civil War gold one now. And I've got into the WWII treasure one too. All interesting stuff.

1 week later
    #891 4 years ago

I didn't watch it, but caught like 2 minutes of them talking around a table. The way they sounded, it sounded like they were going to announce that this was the end of the search. They we talking about all the stuff they found, and that it had been a good run, and that Marty's son is picking up with the lost civil war gold. Like "You won't be watching us find any Oak Island treasure, but you can now watch us look for civil war gold."

Also that WWII treasure show has been interesting, and looks like if you haven't been watching, next weeks is the one to watch. The seasons end.

1 month later
    #914 4 years ago

This popped up in my Facebook feed, and Oak Island was the first thing I thought of. This would solve a lot!

https://www.facebook.com/interestingengineering/videos/402481800341117/

5 months later
    #974 4 years ago

I've lost some interest in this season. 2 years ago I came across the show, and watched the entire day when they marathoned the show before the start of the season. Couldn't get enough. Last year, I sat and watch though all the episodes. This year, I forget that they've dvr'd, and I've just skimmed them.

Still interested in finding out what they find, but feel its all still the same as before.

1 month later
    #1031 4 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

You beat me to that line..Jhines...
    Possibly a "Bobbie Dazzler" too! LOL

possibly made out of "poowher"

#1035 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

possibly made out of "poowher"

HA. He said it last night. Marty's couldn't help but smile too at the way he says it.

1 week later
    #1054 4 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

last night's episode was horrible, more commercials than actual content.

I felt that way too. Was a half hour into it and I looked at the clock and was expecting the show to be about over. It just felt long.

2 weeks later
    #1081 4 years ago

Have they ever said where the rocks came from in the swamp? My first thought was that it was just the place they disposed of them. Nothing more than "just get these out of the way." I mean, they should be able to tell if the rocks are local? Or what area, right? If I had a bunch of rocks that I didn't want in the way, I'd probably throw them in a swamp too.

Now, I realize that when you do something like that, they would pile up. But maybe they didn't want a pile, and just made sure they graded them out.

Also, what the heck were they doing searching for the 90 foot rock in a bunch of other rocks? That seemed like a waste of time. And, I'm really curious how they put that all back.

#1083 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Purely from a Historic perspective the show is fantastic, add in the possible treasure find and who wouldn't watch. I do find it odd that something so large in scale and requiring so much in the way of resources (human labor and materials) is not noted in history somewhere. I guess that it's natural to assume something went on that was a secretive in nature but I have a hard time accepting that considering the immense man-power needed to pull this off and no mention throughout history just doesn't add up.

Yeah, you'd think that all those workers would be posting Tweets and Instagram photos of themselves digging the tunnel.

2 weeks later
    #1116 4 years ago

William Shatner should watch the show. He wouldn't have had so many questions if he did.

1 week later
    #1123 4 years ago

Curious about the timelines of the things and why they're showing it as such. Obviously they're presenting it as all a linear timeline, but isn't.

Like when they went to get that spear thing checked out by the blacksmith. You could very slightly see their breaths. But then "Meanwhile, back on the island..." They were doing the archeological dig around the homestead in shorts and really green grass. Just wonder why they JUST NOW decided to show us that, when it had been done months before? And they didn't even show anything. Makes me think they actually found something and just now have permission to show it.

Also, anyone remember the new show they're coming out with about finding...something? looks like their digging on a ranch. I loved the title sequence they created and want to save that for my research.

*EDIT Found it. The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch.
    https://play.history.com/shows/the-secret-of-skinwalker-ranch/videos/preview-the-secret-of-skinwalker-ranch

1 week later
    #1132 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Surprisingly water started coming in from "inland". You think? Right from the direction of a huge pit full of water. What a surprise

Was thinking the same thing when they showed the overhead shot. I feel like that piece of water is more of a key than they ever mention. Just seems like they avoid it. Have they ever sent anything or anybody into it?

1 week later
    #1137 4 years ago

I thought Tuesday's episode was going to be a 2 hour episode. SlingTV's DVR recorded a two hour episode. The second hour was Blue Book. dang. Was expecting it to be a good season finale episode.

What's funny is that Marty pretty much said exactly what JohnnyPinball said about digging a proper slope. And the dangerous "undermining." So yeah, wonder why they're using Billy?

#1147 4 years ago

wait? there was an episode last night? SlingTV didn't record it.

2 weeks later
    #1156 4 years ago

Last night I was wondering whatever happened to the voids where they sent down a couple divers? Seems they gave up on those the last two years. There's been no mention of them at least.

At this point, while the whole thing is pretty amazing, I honestly don't think there's anything down there anymore. It's all just leftovers. The thing that I keep wondering is why they keep coming up with so many tiny things? Fingernail sized pieces of stuff. Even the couple fragments of bones.But are able to grab nice big solid chunks of wood. I just can't believe that things have been so disturbed down there they they been pulverized and spread out so much. You'd think if they found some fragments, they'd find a denser population of them, not just one tiny piece.

Which makes me think that whatever was down there is gone, and the things they are finding are just pieces broken off as they left.

I know some had said that in the past, but I was still holding out hope, but after the last two caissons that put down, with all their new data, I'm losing hope.

#1164 4 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

I really never understood the concept of the devastating core holes to the point that if there was something to be found, it certainly would be ruined. It's kind of like a "wrecking ball approach".

Id been thinking that too. With their guesswork, what if the Ark of the Covenant, Shakespeare's works, or some other priceless artifact were down there and they sliced right through the middle of it with the can, and then crushed it with the hammer grab. Obviously nothing they could do at that point to salvage it. But at least they solved the mystery.

#1167 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I don't understand something. On the last show, the hammer grab was bringing up only water. That would mean they are in a void. Wouldn't that be something of interest to check out? There could theoretically be something in that void if it is big enough.

just means they're below the water table. You dig deep enough anywhere and you can get water.

#1168 4 years ago

Was watching an episode of Quantum Leap, and it got me thinking. If I was able to go back in time, and wanted to bring something from the past with me to the future, how would I guarantee I could get it? Couldn't hide it in any building. Pay for storage. If you dig a hole by hand, it could be discovered by any number of reasons. So I figured putting it 100 feet deep in the middle of an island would almost guarantee that no one could accidentally stumble upon it, or any major building being built directly over it.

So, I've now come the the conclusion that whatever was down there, was put there by a time traveler.

#1186 4 years ago

I'm a little more hopeful for next week's episode. I kinda feel there's a little something more significant with this new can, or they would have shown us the whole thing like they've done with the last ones. We have to be nearing the end of the season, right?

But someone needs to make a supercut of every start of a new can with them saying, "This is the one. With all the data we just gathered, blaw, blaw, blaw...", and cut it with the end where they show the disappointing faces of them saying, "One more grab, and then lets shut her off."

#1207 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

A salt operation at Smiths Cove is totally possible, but I do not think it would explain the wood they just found deep down with Roman numerals.

Could be water level markers?

1 week later
    #1225 3 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Season Finale tonight!
    What are they going to find?
    A) Treasure
    B) Nothing
    C) Something of significance (artifact, item from depositors, etc.)
    D) The same old $#!T - wood and dirt

E) More questions

#1234 3 years ago

Seems this episode is a bust? Just a recap? The can is done. They have the swamp date. Are they going to do any more?

#1235 3 years ago

The big dig. 10s of millions. Over 3 years. Well of course it wouldn't take just one year. History channel wouldnt be able to recoup their costs.

But I'd be all for this. Just solve it for good.

#1252 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

When their investors are asked for $10,000,000 to help fund the cost, their question is "what have you found thus far to make this promising?" Answer, "wood, wood, and more wood". I'm out.

*History Channel. Looks at numbers* - Naw, we're still good. Hooked even more viewers this year. Go for it!

8 months later
    #1381 3 years ago

Sounds like I can just delete all my recordings on SlingTV. I watched the first episode and figured this season would be pretty lack-luster. Then SlingTV updated their UI and pushed all my recordings down, so now they're out of sight, out of mind.

1 year later
    #1618 2 years ago

Is it going to be worth tuning in again? I haven't watched this the last two years. Got burnt out. But saw a commercial where they're bringing in an even larger can. Has the History Channel realized they need to speed things up?

1 year later
    #1751 1 year ago

Just switched over to Youtube TV on a family account, realized it doesn't include History Channel. so I guess I'll never know if they find the treasure.

2 months later
    #1831 11 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

[quoted image]

There needs to be a "yeah" box. Or maybe "10+ 'Yeahs' in one episode"

1 week later
    #1850 11 months ago

As long as people keep watching, they'll keep producing the show. I found it interesting the first couple years I started watching, but lost interest since it was all the same. At this point I have no hope that they'll find anything significant.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching?tu=woody24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.