Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,276 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by hlaj78
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcclad.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#471 6 years ago

I hope the show continues even if they don't find anything. Yes it can be repetitious, and the narrator is a little annoying, but that does not bother me too much. The reason that I would continue to watch, is because its entertainment. I did a book report on Oak Island when I was like 9 years old. Ever since then I have had an interest in the unexplained. I like seeing how they are going about the search, and the different theories that have come up over the years.

The people involved seem like straight up guys. Right from the get go, they told the History Channel that they would not stage anything, have fake fights with each other, etc. They were going to take it seriously, unlike so much "reality TV" these days that is anything but real. I seriously doubt that the Laginas would salt anything. The search is their first priority, and the show comes second, whether they find anything or not. It looks like the safety of everyone involved is a big concern to them. They are not motivated by greed, and it seems to be a genuine passion that makes them willing to commit a lot of time and effort to find out what Oak Island is all about. They don't need the money, so when they are waist deep in muck, it comes across to me that they don't have to be there, they want to be there. For answers. To solve the mystery. For themselves, the past searchers, for the lives lost, and also for the people watching from their living rooms.

I wish I could be there digging with them in the swamp or waving a metal detector back and forth on the beach. I can't, but I can get to see what is going on there every week on the show, at least until the season finale. Since I was a kid I wanted to know what really happened on that island. Hopefully some day I will see them get to the bottom of things. And if not, it will still be entertaining to see them try.

#482 6 years ago

The sad thing is that no matter what happened on that Island, we will never know the full story. I am convinced that Samuel Ball found something. The descendants of Daniel McGinnis said that it was a little known fact that 3 treasure chests were found. There may not be any treasure left to find. And if there are priceless religious artifacts buried there, I don't think that info would be made public knowledge, and the whole thing would be hushed up.

I think this group has the best chance of solving this, and I hope that they don't give up. People are put off by the fact that nothing substantial has been found yet. Whoever it was that originally did the work on the island, did not make it easy for someone to recover what is there. And a lot of the past searchers did more harm than good in their treasure hunt, which makes things that much more difficult today. I think the bone, and the wood, and the leather is just as interesting as if they found a huge cache of pirate or Templar gold. I have waited most of my life to see what someone will discover there. I want them to find something so badly, but in the meantime I am satisfied to watch the pursuit, no matter how frustrating it is when they come up empty handed

Someone at work made the comment that by now, they should have enough info to know what was done on the island and by whom. Since people have been searching for 200 years, we should have all the answers and that if something was there, people would have solved the mystery by now. I told him about something that I heard once that made a lot of sense. Somebody mentioned the JFK assassination. It took place in modern times, in front of plenty of witnesses. It was captured on more than one film. Forensic evidence was studied. There have been countless hours of investigation by hundreds of people over the years. There has been testimony by many of the people involved. There have been recreations and scientific analysis on bullet trajectories, limo speed, etc. And we still don't know what happened. Its not surprising that we don't know the full story about Oak Island. Maybe we never will.

#488 6 years ago

I will not be watching the new show. I can tolerate the structure of the show about Oak Island, because I have had such an interest in it for so long. I will not be able to sit through more of the same, on a subject that I don't really care about. The Curse of Oak Island has enough flaws in it. If The new show had a different approach, I might have been interested.

#489 6 years ago

For the record, I can't stand the metal detector guy. And I think Dan Blankenship's son Dave is kind of a tool. He is all gung- ho for them to continue. The thing is that I never really see him contribute, or do any of the work. And its not his money that is being spent in the search.

#493 6 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

Dave was in a nearly fatal industrial accident many years ago and is permanently disabled because of it. Can't really expect him to do a helluva lot.

I did not know that. Now I feel bad for passing judgement unfairly. Thank you for pointing that out.

8 months later
    #591 5 years ago

Even if they were not paid by the network, they still could afford the operations on the island. I think Marty Lagina is worth 100 million dollars, and owns a couple of successful companies. I do not think they are searching so much for the monetary value of the treasure, if there is any to be found, but just to solve the mystery once and for all.

1 month later
    #674 5 years ago

After watching the show for a number of years, I have noticed that certain members of this group have specific roles that they play, in any episode that they are in. For example......

Charles Barkhouse - Look serious and nod "yes" when someone says something.

Peter Fornetti - Ride in the back seat of a car, or walk into the frame of a shot with a shovel, and do and say, nothing. At all. Ever.

Dan Henskee - Stand next to someone who actually matters on the show.

Jack Begley - Wear green Under Armor shirt while exclaiming in the most forced manner possible, things like, "WOW! WHAT IS THAT???" Oh and to dig.

Laird Niven - Look at something that was clearly done by man, and after careful consideration, state that he thinks that particular something was in fact, done by man. Which most people watching the show could already clearly tell, without him unnecessarily stating the obvious. "Yes I would have to say that that wooden structure underground is definitely man made." Great, thanks. Glad that you could shed some light on the subject.

Paul Troutmam - I honestly can't remember when this guy did anything. He probably gives the Fornetti kid some company in the back seat of a vehicle when they are going somewhere to do research. They can look out the windows together like a couple of dogs.

#679 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I found the last 2 episodes amazing! Yes, they are drawn out for TV, but now the "Folklore" is showing to be True, and even more
    surprises have been found.
    I think those that are disappointed in simply, "Heres the Treasure, Done", have not experienced an Archaeological, or Paleontological dig.
    Some sites I have visited, the artifact can be grabbed and picked up, but take 2 weeks to brush away and document in Situ. a
    Or waiting weeks for approval and security, analysis, discussion, restoration and cleaning can take years.
    Turning Digs into entertainment for an instant gratification seems to be a bit ironic, and our TV experiences have prejudiced our expectations.
    (But I agree, on how stretched, and repeated this show is)
    Several Major events occurred here....much more than just a Buried treasure in the 1700s...what that is is more intriguing to me, than a box of
    treasure that would be like the spoils found from shipwrecks from the 1600s-1700s.

I totally agree. I don't need them to find treasure, if there is any to be found, just yet. I like watching their approach to everything, and the discoveries they are making along the way. I have read so much on the subject, its nice to finally be able to see things like the 90 foot stone, or the box drains. (If they are authentic.)

#682 5 years ago

There is plenty of evidence that SOMETHING happened on the island. There is also speculation that some treasure was found, but I don't think it has ever been proven. What they do find is interesting from a historical point of view.

#684 5 years ago

Its interesting how some people are insistent that nothing at all happened on that island in the past, and there is nothing to be found. I read somewhere that the explanation of the human bones that they found underground, were because of a natural sinkhole. If that was the case, they would not have been found under 160 feet of earth, they would have been found in a huge pit. The money pit was also supposed to be a natural sinkhole formation, but I do not buy that for a second.

1 week later
    #708 5 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

I love how they forget to give the other possibilities of how the lead cross ended up there.

I agree. Dating the cross is one thing. Finding out when, or how it got on the island is another thing altogether. It could have been dropped there in modern times for all we know. We will never know if it was owned by a Templar, sailor, searcher, etc.

#709 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I'm sorry but I keep hearing them say the runes they found were similar to the ones in the museum. WTF, not even close if you ask me.

I agree. They were not even close. A possibility is that its not even a language, or written words. It could just be tally marks to keep a record of something.

#711 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I can't comment on the flood tunnels because history is full of fantastic things done in the past by peoples that required an enormous amount of work (stone henge and Easter island come to mind), for what appears to be little to no return for the builders.

A perfect example is the Great Pyramid of Giza. I find it hard to believe that all that was done for it to be just a burial tomb. I know that Pharaohs considered themselves gods, and having that much work done just to give them a final resting place is not out of the realm of possibility. The problem that I have with this is the time frame. It is said that it took 20 years to build the pyramid. Not likely. And as for a tomb, I doubt that the Pharaoh would live long enough to see it completed.

It would have to be planned out first which would take time. It was placed on the exact center of the continent, where there was an ideal bedrock base, aligned with the compass to within a few degrees. It has sunk less than an inch since its construction so they picked the right spot. Two and a half million blocks weighing between 2 and ten tons had to be quarried, cut, dressed, and moved down the Nile. Each stone had to be put in place without making a mistake, and ruining the next course of stones that had to be put in position. Some of the blocks had to be put in place at a height of 454 feet above the desert floor. Twenty years equals 7,300 days. That means that this had to be done with every stone, 342 times a day, every day round the clock without fail. This is not taking into account doing all the shafts, tunnels, chambers, polished and cut granite slabs, or the polished limestone covering. All without using oil lamps for internal illumination. Feeding the workers, maintaining tools, making ropes, or massive ramps, and anything else that would have been extremely time consuming. Not to mention time wasted for setbacks or mistakes. 342 stone blocks from start to finish, every day seems impossible.

If you got everyone on pinside together using ancient tools and techniques, how long do you think it would take them to cut out and move, a ten ton limestone block? Everything on the pyramid was done with pinpoint accuracy, and mathematically, its a masterpiece of ancient construction. I honestly believe that it was not done in 20 years. One of the biggest construction project undertakings on the planet, just for a tomb. Supposedly, the Pharaoh who was supposed to be buried there, does not have his name written anywhere on or in the structure, which seems strange even for Pharaoh with a huge ego. Lifespans back then were much shorter. I doubt the construction could have been done in one person's lifetime. An enormous amount of work for what seems like little return.

Just my long two cents.
    (I am bored at work.)

#714 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The "20 years" of construction is a supposition....Maybe it took 30.
    Whats overlooked is without wealth accumulation through Currency...Egypt had none,
    Society Farmed/Livestock, had a Military, and Built.
    The Stones quarried and moved down the Nile werent Only and exclusively for Pyramids.
    Buildings, Temples, were being built as well, so a large flotilla of boats were constantly going back and forth,
    Thousands of workers at quarries, Thousands on site to build.
    What gets messed up in terms of time, is if you look at the "length" of Rulers reign, where known, takes on "X" years.
    All the Rulers, whose length of life was Not known, was defined in Chronology by Scalinger in the middle ages at 33 years....a filler.
    (and adamantly fought by Isaac Newton)
    This missing piece, distorts the BC Calendar, as well as the time it took to build, negating Tomb construction well Before
    a rulers death.
    By Scalingers Dating How could anything be built in a period longer than a rulers reign? Easy, they reigned longer than 33 years.

Everything that you say makes perfect sense, but 30, 40 or even 50 years to me is a stretch. Again, that is just my opinion.
    There are plenty of other sites around the world where intensive construction was done, sometimes in the most unlikely of places, so people are capable of enormous work for what seems like little return. Box drains would easily be feasible.

#715 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

It could've been left there by one of seven stranded castaways who went out for an afternoon three hour cruise.

Maybe, but I think the Professor would have found it, and used the cross, a coconut and Ginger's dress to fix the radio.

#717 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Just one word......Aliens!....just sayin'

You know, now that you mention it.......

#719 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think you also underestimate the ego of humans, especially ancient humans.

I do. I have a tough time wrapping my head around the fact that some ancient humans held themselves in such high regard, willing to let people live and die just for them.

#721 5 years ago

I just hope that when and if they do find something, Dan Blankenship is around to see it. I would be satisfied if they pulled a single gold coin out of the money pit. That would be enough for me. I would like the confirmation in my lifetime that something was buried on the island. I have been interested in the story for decades. I hope this group is getting close to finding something valuable, or of historic significance. I can only imagine what the original depositors would think if they knew the time, energy and resources that went into each and every aspect of searching for the treasure.

#723 5 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

What seems to be missing from Oak island's theory is that all of these tunnels and drains all hinge on some amount of human resources, yet very little of the surrounds points toward that kind of commitment.

I never really thought about this. Its not like they found a worker camp or anything along those lines. No broken or worn tool dump. There really is not much in the surrounding area to indicate that there was a big undertaking that went on.

#733 5 years ago

I am just curious what some of the opinions from you people who watch the show are about this. Lets just say for arguments sake, they actually found something like the ark of the covenant. Do you think something like that would be kept under wraps? Would the info of the find be released to the general public? Or would it end up in some government "Raiders of the Lost Ark" type warehouse? I wonder if the Canadian government would step in and if they would deliberate for a while at least, to decide the best course of action if such an item was found.

If they did start pulling something like pirate, templar, or viking treasure out of the ground, I can only imagine how much more security would be intensified on the island at that point. I think that info on a find of gold coins or similar type treasure, would be released instantly. If if was something like religious or historic artifacts, the news of it might not come out for a while, if at all, depending on what was found.

#734 5 years ago
    Quoted from jesster64:

please dont date the "bracelet" they found or try and find its source mine.

LOL. They probably will. They could stretch that out to fill almost an entire episode, or have an ongoing thing about it on multiple episodes.

#744 5 years ago

Does anyone watch Project Blue Book after Oak Island?

#748 5 years ago

I was hoping for an interesting show last night, but nope. Pretty boring stuff. even finding the concrete structure was not too interesting. At least these guys were true to form.

Quoted from mcclad:

Charles Barkhouse - Look serious and nod "yes" when someone says something.

He sat in the war room looking serious and nodded yes.

Quoted from mcclad:

Dan Henskee - Stand next to someone who actually matters on the show.

He stood next to someone who was actually doing something.

Quoted from mcclad:

Paul Troutmam - I honestly can't remember when this guy did anything.

This guy did nothing.

These people earn such an easy paycheck. I know that they can't all be digging and stuff like that or doing research, but sometimes when I see them onscreen it makes me laugh, because they are not needed at all, and add nothing to the show. LOL. I can picture things at the Troutman household after a long day at work.

Wife "Paul how was your day? It must have been long. You look tired"

Paul "Well to be honest, I sat my ass down at a table. Yeah it was long."

Wife "I'm sorry honey. Tomorrow is another day on Oak Island, maybe things will go better."

Paul "I hope so. Next week they have me sitting at a table. Not the one in the pub mind you, but in the war room. On my ass."

Wife "You poor dear. We do need the money though."

Paul "Not to mention that Barkhouse guy did not do a fucking thing all day but nod in agreement! Meanwhile I am sitting on my ass!"

Wife "Now Paul, while I can clearly understand your frustration, at least you do not have to do that Henskee guy's job. He has to walk with someone who is not completely useless."

Paul "I know, it just sucks. Rick and Craig are always up to their asses in muck, so I don't really have a problem with them, but don't even get me started on that archaeologist. And when is Begley going to change that damn shirt? And then, you won't believe this shit, they stick me in the god damn car with the Fornetti kid! The silence kills me! I need to concentrate when I sit on my ass! And then I am expected to look out the window like a dog! A dog I tell you! There is no justice. Usually we are going to a museum or someone's house, or a lab. We are not going to the vet's office for Pete's sake. I swear this job is going to be the death of me.""

Wife "This is a small consolation, my big strong hard working man, but at least that will make the death toll seven."

Paul "I need a Drink. I will be at the pub. On my ass."

#751 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Guys.....there's 30 episodes this year. Up from 18 last year.
    Not every episode is going to be gangbusters.

Very true.

2 weeks later
    #767 5 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

The island is truly cursed.

Very cool show last night about the paranormal, and the curse. Nice change of pace.

3 weeks later
    #830 5 years ago

I was hoping that they could find something soon for his sake. I was afraid that this day would come. I am so bummed out that if they actually find a treasure, he will not be around to see it. I sincerely hope there is some sort of afterlife, That way right now he can have all the answers he spent half his life looking to find.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

#843 5 years ago

I remember reading about Dan Blankenship 41 years ago when I first got interested in Oak Island, and for the first time since then, I did not care if they found anything after his passing. I wanted him to have validation after all those years, but he will never get to be there when, and if, any treasure is found. I know that his past work was so valuable, and if anything is found, his participation in the hunt played a big part in recovering the treasure. At least all the things that they have found so far proves that something was done on the island in the past, so his work in trying to solve the mystery has not been in vain. Still, I can't help but think it would be a bittersweet moment if they do recover something, because he won't be there to see it. His death really bothered me a lot.

After watching last nights episode its hard not to notice how many people are actually involved in this. There is so much effort and work going into it. My mood started to change, and for everyone involved I hope that they do find something. My interest in Oak Island has always had ups and downs. Now its time for an up. I hope that I can see the day when something is pulled from the ground. I would settle for a single gold coin. Everyone is waiting for that "A-ha" moment, and I think its long overdue. The only problem with that is if something is found, it will become fact and then the whole mystery and intrigue will start to fade away.

2 weeks later
    #863 5 years ago

At least that would help fund some of the search.

1 month later
    #887 4 years ago

They had a decent tribute to Dan Blankenship last night. I am glad that they did something in remembrance of him.

9 months later
    #1099 4 years ago

They MIGHT not find anything, because the treasure, or at least some of the treasure might have already been found. Supposedly Daniel McGinnis and his two friends ended up with a chest of treasure each after discovering the money pit. It would have been foolish to announce the find, because now they could potentially be targets for someone to steal from them what they recovered.

Samuel Ball was a released slave who had nothing, and started a cabbage farm on Oak Island. He ended up buying lots on the island and became the area's richest man at the time. Where did his wealth come from?

I am amazed that some people are convinced that absolutely nothing of any significance happened on that island. There is overwhelming evidence that someone went through a lot of trouble when they were there. And just by them being there, at that time, our "accepted timeline of history" is now called into question. Its the what and why something was done on the island, that seems to be more interesting then what is, or maybe was deposited in the past.

Even if they don't find gold, crown jewels, the ark, or any other item, its the history and the knowledge that I am interested in them finding. To me, watching the show for that reason alone is not a waste. It is informative on what is going on now in the search, and every new discovery just adds to the story.

1 month later
    #1166 4 years ago

I don't understand something. On the last show, the hammer grab was bringing up only water. That would mean they are in a void. Wouldn't that be something of interest to check out? There could theoretically be something in that void if it is big enough.

#1183 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Well, Im still thrilled with the show, and pleased they finally appear to have a hole over the original spot.
    I dont really care if a small chest of jewels or coins is pulled up. The show ends with that, and the
    Archaeology has been fascinating enough, although slow, redundant, and annoying, as it might be.
    (Digs take a looong time, and years can go into a one hour National Geographic entertainment show)
    But here is some stuff I found interesting. If that is a Portuguese Cork Tree, when did the Portuguese
    arrive?
    "In 1520 or 1521, a Portuguese Explorer by the name of Joao Alvares Fagundes, brought a group of Portuguese settlers, mostly from the Azores, to Nova Scotia"
    Early maps show them arriving in the 1470s, approx.
    In the 1570s, the settlements Governor, Captain Francisco de Souza wrote, well versed, on the type of Nut and Fruit Trees in the Region.
    Even this grave marker was found, dated 1558.[quoted image]

Art I wish that you could be a part of the show. Whenever you post something I find it very informative.

2 weeks later
    #1242 3 years ago

I Think it would be awful if there was no more treasure to find. People would have lost, or spent their lives for a wild goose chase. There is undeniable proof that something big was done on the island in the past. Uncovering the history aspect is all well and good, but I would like to see this group recover something. I think a big dig at this point is the only way to go. Unless someone recovered that vault in secrecy, it is still there. Let hope these guys will be able to finally grab it.

#1243 3 years ago

Maybe they can dig up a massive section of the island, let it flood with sea water, and then have Robert Ballard find the treasure like he found the Titanic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcclad.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching?tu=mcclad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.