2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,276 posts
  • 165 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by jhanley
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

304-Spaceballs-quotes.gif
    bbf8a2c636c70da7e84474e5297b3719de4de7bd.png (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    EnchantedWelldocumentedConey-size_restricted.gif
    oak island new dig.gif
    0ECC5A82-7FE8-4AE4-910A-5285CCD61116 (resized).jpeg
    OakIslandAxe.JPG
    images (1) (resized).jpeg
    Lab (resized).JPG
    Core Samples (resized).JPG
    GaryDrayton (resized).jpg
    Shaft2 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drsfmd.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#861 1 year ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

there has been so much work out there I'm confident they're just finding searcher stuff from the 1860's-1930's.

Correct. The photos I've attached were taken in the tunnels dug by the Halifax Company on the island in the 1860s. The B&W photo (1963) is from Lee Lamb's book. The color photo is Bobby Restall in the tunnel (same tunnel?) ca. 1959-60. The wooden supports look awfully familiar, don't they?

I suspect that most of what they are digging up around the 100 foot mark is the stuff that Dunfield pushed back into the hole after he was done. For those of you who don't know, Dunfield dug the entire area to a depth of around 100 feet. A massive pit. Photo attached. You can see the exposed shaft left of center in the photo-- I think this is the shaft constructed by Gilbert Hedden in the 1930s. You can also see the remains of the collapsed Chappell shaft on the right (and a more recent photo of the remains of that shaft). The H8 shaft from last season was reportedly dug in between these two shafts.

Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I'm pretty skeptical about the whole thing but it's interesting that three different sets of people claimed they did see the box drain setup. You'd think if it was a hoax it would be confined to one time period...

Those were probably blown up by Dunfield or destroyed by the Restalls. There are some pretty decent photos on the Oak Island Compendium site. I suspect that they weren't "drains" like we are expecting, but rather the evidence points to them being trenches packed with organic material (coconut fiber, eelgrass, etc.) to act as a filter so the trench didn't fill in with sand. The question is, what purpose did they serve? I've thought that the salt works theory is probably the most likely.

oak-island-ms (resized).pngrestall (resized).jpgdunfield (resized).jpgchappel shaft (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #889 1 year ago

I missed it last night. What was the big announcement that they were hinting at?

3 months later
    #918 12 months ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I love the show and what they are doing, but the announcer just drives my wife and I crazy!

"Could it be...?"

4 months later
    #996 6 months ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

OK what am I missing here. They are trying to find a shaft 14ft away from the money pit so they can find the original money pit. But there's no way that shaft is still there. In 1965 Robert Dunfield dug up the entire Money Pit area 100' wide x 140' deep.
    There would be nothing left of the original money pit or the other shaft.
    What is the point?

Because it appears that Dunfield missed the location of the original money pit, and only dug up the first few feet of it.

https://imgur.com/T7DnfV3

#1024 6 months ago

They have pronounced the name the same way since the beginning.

3 weeks later
    #1073 6 months ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I am tired of all the time filled with bs speculation any time a poohter object is found.

Hey- that's Templar poo-er. Show a little respect.

2 months later
    #1184 3 months ago

The way the show tells it is he farmed potatoes(I think)

Ball was a cabbage farmer. Hard way to get rich. I find it more than plausible that he found *something* on that island. Of course, I there's some evidence that the original kids digging on the island found something too. The question is whether they found small caches that were left there to satiate treasurfe seekers so they wouldn't go deeper and find the actual treasure.

The amount of stuff found deep down in the dirt on that island is pretty incredible. You could explain the area directly around the money pit as being tailings from the Dunfield excavations that got buried much deeper than they were originally, but the things found deep down in 10X, and the other holes on the island aren't really explainable.

#1191 3 months ago

some of that old mine stuff left on Oak Island could have been done in the past for another reason other than to hide treasure,

There's some speculation that the digging on OI was for a clandestine salt works. http://www.criticalenquiry.org/oakisland/Dennis_King_Mar_2010.shtml

#1209 3 months ago

That could explain about everything except the Roman numeral wood they have found very deep recently.

Simply carpenters marks to know which joints fit together.

#1210 3 months ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Coins and gems that could easily have been from people in the 1700's that dropped them. Families passed things down a long time you know, and coins were used for hundreds of years.

This. While renovating my kitchen, I found a couple of coins that had been dropped and were under the quarter-round molding. One of those coins was older than the house by a few years... that doesn't push back the date that my house was built.

When my daughter was little, she had an interest in money from other countries. At the time I had a graduate student working for me who was from China, and she brought me a couple of coins from China. As I was helping my daughter identify the coins and when they were made, I realized that one of them was over 300 years old. I tried to return it to the student, thinking it might be valuable, and she laughed-- she said they were still in common circulation, she had picked it from her pocket change, and it was worth less than 10 cents US.

1 week later
    #1248 3 months ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

With the new concept of digging a massive crater,

Not new... Dunfield has already dug up the whole place back in the 60s. It's why they are finding the ground so soft and unstable.

3 months later
    #1263 5 days ago

Anyone know if they are still working and if we have more shows soon?

According to the "Oak Island From the Other Side of the Causeway" Facebook group, the equipment finally showed up last week, and they are back working in the money pit area, but there's no activity in the swamp or Smith's Cove.

No idea on when we'll have new episodes.

#1267 5 days ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Did they ever find the treasure? I watched many, many episodes. Hoping to see them finally find something besides a rotted out timber and coin from 1981....

My theory is that if there was a treasure it was found long ago by the kids who first found the hole, and by Samuel Ball.

If you recall, they had an episode where the McGuiness sisters brought an old piece of jewelry and said their ancestors had indeed recovered a treasure chest.

Samuel Ball was a former slave who went to Oak Island to farm cabbages and ended up one of the wealthiest men in Nova Scotia. I can't make the math on that one work.

#1272 5 days ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

That said, it is very likely (in my opinion) that everything they have found, every timber, coin, tunnel, button and human bone fragment are associated with 250 years of treasure hunters following the tall-tale... I

Aside from the swamp excavations, everything they are finding in the money pit are was already dug up by Robert Dunfield in the 60s... he dug a MASSIVE hole over 100 feet deep, exposed the Heddon and Chappell shafts and tunnels from prior searchers, and went deeper--- finding nothing and obliterating all of the old landmarks and stone formations in the process. He also dug up the beach and obliterated the finger drains that they have spent so much time searching for on TV-- they already *know* that those are gone... so it's all for TV.

The Restalls dug up the beach area as well, and exposed a shaft. It's also where the three men perished-- not at the money pit.

The *only* finds that I thought was really curious were the bones. They were recovered deeper than Dunfield dug, and are older than the other things found on the island. AFAIK, those are the only unique objects found deeper than Dunfield's work... maybe men who were trapped in an undocumented tunnel dug by searchers at some point in history.

https://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/photos/robert-dunfield-excavation-gallery/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 999.00
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.95
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 16.00
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 295.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 7.90
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    $ 19.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 15.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.50
    $ 3.50
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 9.00
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drsfmd.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside