Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,259 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OLDPINGUY.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Oak Island. My brother and I were bit, in 1965, I believe with the TV guide article.
    I was 5, then and kept that issue for about 13 years. I was completely captivated!
    About 20 years ago, on Ebay, I found a listing with ever book, letters, notes, and maps.
    Nothing important was in there, but it re-captivated me, as it took 6 months to pour through the material.

Of course, I got hooked on the show, and havent missed an episode.
    Ive been blown away with the recent finds of human bones, leather, and pottery at 155 feet. (approx)
    I understand the show is ending, with speculation of the Treasure Found!

I hear from family that visits Nova Scotia frequently, and came back last month with news the area was a buzz,
    with stories of the Treasure and mystery being solved!!

What do you think? Are you watching? Is it Pirate Treasure worthy of a marker on a Pirates Pin?

X marks the spot.....Im excited!....52 years waiting......

#16 6 years ago

I agree, the announcer just killed me, but I block him out now.
    I am trained in this skill from 43 years with my wife!

But, Im so into Archaeology, Anthropology, and Theology, from my family in Europe and Middle East,
    that the show fills my TV viewing with baited enthusiasm!

After going on only a few "digs" in my life, this is one I wish I could be involved in.

Im becoming that old man in the shorts walking the beaches here with a metal detector!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

my wife just rolls her eyes and calls me an idiot for watching this show.

I think she knows my wife!

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

This show also makes me want to metal detect on the property that I grew up on. My dads always said that there are rumors of buried silver dollars on our property. Back in the late 1800's there used to be a tavern on our land, and it was said that the owner didn't believe in banks, so he hid his money in the walls or buried it.
    The tavern is long gone and is unknown to where it exactly sat. But we have found MANY bottles in the washway down towards the ditch that leads to a waterway. Seems like every couple years, a new bottle somehow resurfaces out of the dirt. And each one we pick out is still in perfect condition. Never broken.

Nothing like a Good Dig.

Ive done Gems, Meteors, Mineral Specimens, Fossils, Out house, and Archaeology digs. Along with Metal detecting, and Shark tooth Diving
    All are very rewarding to me to discover, to pull out a dinosaur bone, or a chunk of crystals!

For many of us, Id highly recommend, especially if you have kids, a search on the web for local fossils.
    Its a great reward and a stepping stone in inspiring their imagination to learn about what to find, and what they do find.

On a trip to Nashville, Next to a park on #100, west of Nashville, is a fossil wall, with marine fossils that fall to the ground, and
    the Joy of kids who were finding them pleased me.

Could be just me, but Id hope we all have some degree of Treasure Hunting in all of us....seeing we hunt for Pins and games today too.

#89 6 years ago

OK, for kicks...OAK ISLAND PIN!

Call Outs: One must Die!

Chapel Vault Multiball!

Swamp Captive Ball!

OK, its campy, but there have been worse themes before....

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Multiball should be the tunnels flooding!

Oh yeah! Tons of Subway Tunnels! More than any game, and Random Kickouts!

Go in one Hole/Tunnel, Who knows which one it will come out from!

#121 6 years ago

Yes, Kellyco. For metal detector s.

Do you remember season 1 or 2 an old man came out with high end metal detector equipment?
    The last time I saw him he had a shotgun pointed at me....I was dating his daughter 45 years ago!
    He hunted treasure extreme in the 60s and 70s, and his business grew from the house to the biggest today.

Treasure hunting has always been around me

#126 6 years ago

Heres a tidbit thats in conflict with common theory.

The Knight Templar, or Gaurds of the Temple, started with a Hebrew movement
    to return to Israel, both for the Treasure, as reiterated in the Copper Scroll, but as
    always written, to restore Jerusalem. (The Kaballah and the Tree of life mentioned in last nights episode, came back too)

The Cover story and common History, is 100% for Christian Pilgrims to travel.
    Thats what it grew in to and became true nonetheless.

#158 6 years ago

I believe there was an original treasure, and the wood planks.
    Important stuff, but not the Ark...thats another story.

I believe Samuel Ball found it, or some of it.

The Island and material above bedrock was deposited as Terminal Moraine from Glaciers.
    Plenty of pockets in this formation, and the digs flooding is because of this natural formation.

I hope they find something, I have heard people in Nova Scotia have been a buzz about what was found.

Any pin heads nearby?

#163 6 years ago

#171 6 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

And now,they think it might be the original Jewish Minora! Sorry if I spelled it wrong! This WAS interesting until you realize this will go on and on,and thats why the are on t.v. !!What about the Gold link they found stuck to the drill bit tip?

The Temple Menorah, was taken by Rome as spoils, and commemorated in the still standing Arch of Titus. Recently scanned, and restored, many details now show as it looked 1900 years ago.

Yet the copper scrolls indicate there may be more, if the Templars found.

#181 6 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

after all this time and all those hours of TV, they STILL only have that same coin, and gold fragment, and fuzzy footage, and weird wood to show?

Add two human bones from the late 1700's at 155 (approx. feet) Pottery, a British Military settlement with more coins, and military hardware found.

#189 6 years ago

Maybe they need Nicolas Cage!

#197 6 years ago

The cross found was quite a revelation!

I wonder the "something magnetic" didnt pull up?

#219 6 years ago

I was bitten by the Treasure bug even earlier.....
    My first camera in 65, and a book was brought to me with tales from far away.
    My cousin was involved with the discovery of the dead sea scrolls, and other archaeology in the region.
    Gosh, can I remember him telling stories 50 years ago, about mummies, treasure, the tunnels under Jerusalem....
    It got in my blood, and never left.

Thanks for the mention of these other shows! More to watch!!!

#233 6 years ago

Weird, They did the magnetic testing in the small holes.
    Then took what must have been months to a year, to order the big drill from Korea.
    THEN, they see the 3D readings?

Am I missing something?

#241 6 years ago

I had family that escaped Europe during the war and settled in South America.
    Starting when I was young, 50 years ago, when he visited, he often told stories of all the Nazis living in
    South America....This included Hitler. It was an interesting debate among elders when I was a kid.
    Funny that it was about the same time I got hooked on Oak Island.

#276 6 years ago

The network of tunnels is a natural formation of the last 2 Glacier movements and the remaining moraine.

The fork in long Island, all they way up to Cape Cod are the remnants as well, as the Hudson Grand Marine Canyon.

Layers of Gravel and stone from the glacier movement and melt, so the flooding and caverns are normal for this geology in the region.

#284 6 years ago

I too, think whatever Treasure is long gone.
    I think the last show will contain enough info to show something was there, but no longer.
    The End.

#298 6 years ago

Variations of the cross symbol exist throughout many cultures to the east, west, and North through time, pre Christ, that vary by the dozens, with debatable meanings.
    But I agree, Im skeptical of the trailer quote.

#311 6 years ago

The purple wood was interesting.
    Not just for its color, but it appeared to be unweathered or decayed.....all other wood darkens heavily, unless a fresh break.
    Any ideas?

1 week later
    #338 6 years ago

With the show ending soon, I hope the answers will satisfy us all.

In other conversations, the dating of it as a Phoenician symbol of Tanit or Asherah, or the Tree of Life in the prison from Metatron/Reincarnation,
    from 1300BC, and 1100 AD, seem to shake people.
    The Tree of Life was part of early Christianity, through exiled Alexandrian Hebrews, and was reintroduced in the Kabbalah in the crusades.
    Asherah/Tanit was part of Jewish sects, through the Samaritans, and possibly the Essene/Nazarene lore.
    Essentially a counterpart to the male God figures as a female consort, both from Persian and Greek.

Some of the group outside Pinside, have trouble accepting any other meaning of the cross, other than Christianity, so we had series wide
    doubt, insults, and slander seen, as a defensive posture.

If it does show an earlier prescience of Templars landing in the US....that would be an insane new theory to address.

#341 6 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

That was my point of contention. The 'historian' didn't seem to support any of the reasoning for how those conclusions could be even remotely reasonable. Maybe the show's edited to produce that effect and there was more in that discussion. However I didn't gather from the responses that that was really happening.
    Since idolitry would not have been something the very Christian and very zealous Templar would likely allow, that connection just seems totally off the rails, and unsupported by any evidence in terms of travelers to this part of the world, in that time frame. Wild conjecture in my opinion, but guess the series will vet it out.
    You mentioned other threads art, would be interested in seeing those if you can share here. I'm not putting my info down into another discussion venue, but might like to spectate a bit as I'm keenly interested in the topic.

The view and creation of Templars, is not without debate.

Common statements were to protect the Christian Pilgrims who wish to visit Jerusalem.

While this was inherently true at the end of the history, in the beginning it was about the oral history of the Temple Treasures
    hidden in the tunnels under the city (Copper Scrolls), as well as a return to their homeland.

The original movement, funding, etc, is in one theory, originally underwritten by the Jewish population,
    and than propagandized through the Church, to become true. What was brought back, soon lead to the Protestant movement and indulgences.

Christianity during the years of say 800-1300 in the period of the Templars, was very different than we think today, and changed again, in the 1500's to the
    King James Bible, which changed everything, yet again.
    An easy example is the Star of David, found on churches, and is a Christian Symbol, prior to it being a Jewish symbol. (even the word "Jew", did not appear in writing until the middle 1700's!)
    No idiolatry, but hard to say if this cross, say found in Jerusalem, would have been considered an ancient Christian Cross...a relic, thought to have been from Christs time. The peddling of Christ relics, took on full business after Queen Helena went on tour in 300 AD, so in the souk, as today, one can find a table with real and fake pottery, crosses, oil lamps, etc.

A bunch of dialogue I have is with personal friends..puzzle guys on this, but heres some for much more:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/oak-island/

https://www.reddit.com/r/OakIsland/

http://forum.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/

#370 6 years ago

Perhaps they will find Mormon Plates, and mess everything up!

2 weeks later
    #427 6 years ago

Tonight I think they reveal the keyhole plate.
    I have a degree of skepticism when hinges, keys, and keyholes appear in a single
    season.

I do hear second hand from the inside, that there still is a big reveal.

#451 6 years ago

If one would like to know about more of what the Templar Treasure was, when they went to find it, look into the copper scrolls that have been found.
    Good historical and fiction writing, and debate.

#474 6 years ago

Of course I wanted "more", and annoyed with editing, but I was pleased for the season.
    Bones, Purple wood, Cross, Dump, All show lots of activity there to justify a burial.
    Maybe its gone, and thats OK too.
    But the U shape structure....A dock?
    More in the swamp?
    Sure, Coffer Damn, and metal detect more....many shows find nothing....still no Alien proof, so I feel a bit more rewarded here.

Did others see the end of 2nd extended program, where they showed what was found digging in the ribbon area for next season?

#487 6 years ago

I guess you guys didnt see the original shaft uncovered in the corner of the screen, and covered at the end of the episode?

For me, its something ive been interested in for over 50 years!
    Whether Im combing the beach for sharks teeth and fossils, diving for same, or spending 8 hours in a quarry,
    Ive come to expect little, and get excited over finds that I see no one else in the family cares about.

So I tolerate/hate the announcer and editing, I can understand why only a big payoff would satisfy others.

In that regard, I wont watch the new show, because I am reversed....no interest in story background....only the payoff
    of a find.

#500 6 years ago

.....Gold Story......Makes me think of the treasure hunting in a families home.....story to tell.

In the 1930s, my family became successful with several Jewelry stores in the New York/Brooklyn area.
    Run by brothers, they pooled their money and bought a grand Victorian home in Far Rockaway, that used to belong
    to a Prominent Politician.
    I grew up as a Kid playing there.
    A full Wrap around porch, a basement I want allowed to go into, cubby holes, storage, secret rooms, and hidden stairways were built into
    the home over time.
    Where else would a 9 year old want to explore!?!
    My uncles stashed their wealth in the house.....gold....coins....antique pocket watches, rolexes, diamonds.
    These were items people sold through the decades that they hoarded.

When the last living family member there passed, it became a Mad Mad World to rush over, and find the "Treasure".
    Notwithstanding all the family drama, we found gold and coins, diamonds, and gems, hidden everywhere!

A false panel inside the fireplace flue.
    A secret compartment built into the grand piano
    Under floorboards in closets and in secret stairs
    In the ceiling
    Two of the secret crawl spaces produced more hidden in the back, one crawl space had 3 hidden rooms, with flush doors!
    A bathroom remodel in the 60s, had the plywood build out screwed together, and covered with wallpaper. We stripped the paper and unscrewed
    wood to find jars of Coins in many of the bathroom walls.
    Finally saw the basement, no gold, but filled with antique clocks.
    Boxes of Gold Coins hidden in extra spaces made behind and attached to furniture...false backs.
    Cigar boxes of $20 Gold Coins were hidden throughout the house.

Treasure hunting in one form or another....like hunting for a pin, real estate, antiques, fossils, etc.....always gets me going, but another show done
    in the same format.....not so much.

The find at the end of the confederate gold in the trailer of Oak Island was enough for me to watch another season.

6 months later
    #507 5 years ago

Ive been enjoying Snake Island...If you havent seen this season, each episode is a concrete find to the season finale last week.....very rewarding.....

1 month later
    #529 5 years ago

Couldnt agree more....Damn good opening episode....Now they will sprinkle artifacts through the rest, but changed
    the whole scope of operation.....

#537 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Yeah he seems to have a sixth sense when it comes to detecting, especially when it comes to finding one coin in a football field size area.

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Hmm, almost like it was planted there...

Im quite certain, that the editing of 40 hours of metal detecting, and a couple finds down to minutes, it would appear this way.

2 weeks later
    #570 5 years ago

They have managed to prove some British encampments from the late 1700s.

To me, all other finds are not proven yet, but a cross and crossbow arrow, show much earlier dating so far.

I believe a good deal of answers, or I hope, this season.

Personally, after reading everything that came out in books over the last 40 years, I believe there was, but Samuel Ball found it.
    The material pulled up from voids, I believe washes in, as the island is a porous creation from Terminal Moraine.

I still hope I am wrong,as they have human bone, leather, parchment, broken bits of China from 160-180 ft below the surface
    as well as 2 pieces of Jewelry from the surface.

#573 5 years ago

I think it was a repair dock.....

#584 5 years ago

OK...An Oak Island Pinball! Think of the Callouts! Holy Shammoly!

Metal detect mode
    Bore Hole mode
    Jackpot Treasure Mode....Not much there.
    Coffer Damn Multiball

Play for years, could have been done in an hour!

#589 5 years ago
    Quoted from smailskid:

I agree the Canadian govermwnt probobly will own what they find.
    Honest question. Why?

Laws

3 weeks later
    #651 5 years ago

If you are hungry for more, here is a site I visit weekly.

http://www.archaeologica.org/NewsPage.htm

#656 5 years ago

Even if the final answer is to show an earlier Atlantic crossing from Roman Europe, that would be a milestone
    to History, and the issues with "Columbus".
    It would also explain the Maps drawn of the East Coast of America in the Vatican Museum, prior to 1492.

#659 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

I believe it's already been proven that the Vikings were here some time before Columbus.

Indeed, which is why I mentioned the Roman World.
    We have faiths, and theories, carvings and stones...none that I pass any judgement, that hints at earlier crossing.

The knowledge of the East Coast was important in a Treaty that split the Atlantic and Pacific Trade routes between Spain and Portugal. an abundance of info in the last 20 years, shows that Spain already had maps, and had explored the coastline, with
    minimal records that support the detail of mapping.
    One theory to support this knowledge that was secret, was earlier Templar Trips, and mappings.
    This information was kept secret, as a shorter trade route to the East that was shorter, would be very valuable.

#668 5 years ago

I agree, it was a Place where a Boat could stay hidden.
    I dont believe in Flood tunnels, just the Loose packing of Glacier Moraine.
    At best, Ill hope for evidence this week of earlier dock in the cove, and a few more pieces of metal.
    People were there, treasure may have been there, but I believe Ball found it,
    Earlier Atlantic crossing at the Best, is a good enough "ending" for me.

2 weeks later
    #678 5 years ago

I found the last 2 episodes amazing! Yes, they are drawn out for TV, but now the "Folklore" is showing to be True, and even more
    surprises have been found.
    I think those that are disappointed in simply, "Heres the Treasure, Done", have not experienced an Archaeological, or Paleontological dig.

Some sites I have visited, the artifact can be grabbed and picked up, but take 2 weeks to brush away and document in Situ.
    Or waiting weeks for approval and security, analysis, discussion, restoration and cleaning can take years.

Turning Digs into entertainment for an instant gratification seems to be a bit ironic, and our TV experiences have prejudiced our expectations.
    (But I agree, on how stretched, and repeated this show is)

Several Major events occurred here....much more than just a Buried treasure in the 1700s...what that is is more intriguing to me, than a box of
    treasure that would be like the spoils found from shipwrecks from the 1600s-1700s.

#680 5 years ago

Finding man made Box Drains would blow me away.
    I never believed they existed, simply flooding due to Geology.
    Even still, to Peg and assemble the dock/wall discovered is a huge undertaking on a tiny island.
    If not a Treasure, or a dock for repairing ships during war..... any other ideas?

#683 5 years ago

Value? as in Gold Coins, Gems?
    A few Coins, 1700s, likely from a British encampment.
    Jewelry/Brooches, Semi Precious from the same time or earlier.
    A lead cross, of date apparently earlier than 1600s.
    A cross Bow Bolt, identified as Roman.

Archaeologically...enough to suggest one, or several landings, structures and activities
    Earlier than the 1600s.

If Viking, its a pretty damn big find. If European/Templar/Roman....Ground breaking and a re-write of History......Priceless.

Heres one of my favorite "Treasures" Found

The Cave of Letters, 130 AD, 2nd (3rd) Revolt. To think the people that used these were part of that History.....

#686 5 years ago

They have stated this a few times, and repeated....last couple episodes.

1 week later
    #710 5 years ago

I wonder the source of that carved stone...Was it Ballast from overseas? Seems Odd that it looks more ornamental, then a written language.
    (BTW there is an entire exhibit in Museum with Hundreds of artifacts, with clearly written language, that no one can decipher...created and lost.
    All different)

#712 5 years ago

The "20 years" of construction is a supposition....Maybe it took 30.
    Whats overlooked is without wealth accumulation through Currency...Egypt had none,
    Society Farmed/Livestock, had a Military, and Built.
    The Stones quarried and moved down the Nile werent Only and exclusively for Pyramids.
    Buildings, Temples, were being built as well, so a large flotilla of boats were constantly going back and forth,
    Thousands of workers at quarries, Thousands on site to build.
    What gets messed up in terms of time, is if you look at the "length" of Rulers reign, where known, takes on "X" years.
    All the Rulers, whose length of life was Not known, was defined in Chronology by Scalinger in the middle ages at 33 years....a filler.
    (and adamantly fought by Isaac Newton)
    This missing piece, distorts the BC Calendar, as well as the time it took to build, negating Tomb construction well Before
    a rulers death.
    By Scalingers Dating How could anything be built in a period longer than a rulers reign? Easy, they reigned longer than 33 years.

#720 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Everything that you say makes perfect sense, but 30, 40 or even 50 years to me is a stretch. Again, that is just my opinion.
    There are plenty of other sites around the world where intensive construction was done, sometimes in the most unlikely of places, so people are capable of enormous work for what seems like little return. Box drains would easily be feasible.

Perhaps thinking of the original, smaller Capitol building in DC took 33 years, and the Washington Monument 30 years, sans civil war.
    Notre Dame took 300 years!

1 week later
    #753 5 years ago

From an entertainment standpoint...."Wheres the Treasure?" and from a TV Production standpoint, its pretty low.
    From an Archaeological and Historical view, its incredible what is being found.

2 weeks later
    #775 5 years ago

The show had a slightly different title, I believe, which may be the reason....or the curses they were talking about!
    It was an interesting episode, but for those wanting a big discovery, this wasnt it...It was about the paranormal, and a closer look at artifacts....

1 week later
    #794 5 years ago

I Will be truly shocked, If they uncover the finger network of Box Drains made of Stone.
    I still feel they dont exist as illustrated and the flooding is loose moraine.

2 weeks later
    #841 5 years ago

The large Oak timbers, and Large Leather piece got me.
    I am under the presumption of small pieces washing in through gaps, and a large leather piece, unless
    from searchers, is unusual with its size and could not wash in.
    The same with the large Oak section....Thats really unusual.
    Between the metal detection of large objects, mapping the swamp, and this hole, its extremely robust to exhaust
    as much leads as possible.
    The dig deeper episode shared a wall, I was never aware of, with the theory it was a ramp....hmmm...

2 weeks later
    #848 5 years ago

Purple wood piece much larger, a 17th to 18th century cabinet box lock, and wood structure with outcoming water under the crane pad.

3 weeks later
    #873 4 years ago

Season Finale! They Drained the Swamp and Found a Wall!

#884 4 years ago

Wasnt that on already? I know it says may 7th....Its the Pine/Conifer Stone....

#892 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I missed it last night. What was the big announcement that they were hinting at?

They found a Large anomaly in the swamp, couple meters deep, that could be a ship, and at the higher end, what appears to be a shaft or tunnel.

#897 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Thank God it’s Over. Now on to another show based on tireless searches where they’ll find no treasure.... flush, repeat ad nauseum.

Perhaps these shows arent worth your time?

#905 4 years ago

In addition to Martys Money, He is also the Producer of the show, and receives a large sum from the Popularity
    of the show, that he funnels back in.
    With the Brothers, Craig Tester, Dan Blankenship, and Alan J. Kostrzew, they own 78% of the Island and the Tours,
    This is also a tidy sum, along with any other royalties and products that are available or develop,
    He is a pretty Good Business man, and Id say, he already has a nice ROI.

#908 4 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

The show reached in this past season 54.6 million viewers, guaranteed History Channel is funding a major part of the doings on the island now in addition to the cast now being paid as well.
    Ricks net worth went from 500K when first started to over 2 million now just short of 3. Well Marty already had a cash flow from his companies but even his worth has jumped a few million. History channel will keep paying riding the wave of Oak Islands popularity, if and when the ratings start to fall off.... treasure will be found at the point (if not already and leaving it on the back burner) and bring the series to a close. Till then, if it ain't broke don't mess with it motto.

The info at 2 Million in Net Worth, seems to be in error. Click the next few links on Google, and the sale of his Oil Co, and Net Worth of his Wind Turbine Company, and Winery. I think the 2 Million was pulled from somewhere regarding from only "Oak island Ventures".....Estimates are 40-100 Million in Net Worth.

#910 4 years ago

Gotcha...I read it wrong several times....Mybad...sorry.

#912 4 years ago

Hey! Im from Brooklyn! CityLine!

3 months later
    #920 4 years ago

Re theme a Gilligans?

Bore Hole Multiball?

1 month later
    #923 4 years ago

So the show comes back in a couple weeks. Rumor is they find a ship.
    Only thing for sure, is that History Channel ordered 36 new shows!

I think its time for more annoying announcements!

3 weeks later
    #945 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Watching a new episode of Expedition Unknown tonight and Gary the metal detector guy is on this show. Turns out he's a very successful treasure hunter in his own right down in Florida. He's found lots of Bobby Dazzlers.

Gary Drayton shares that he uses a Minelab CTX 3030.
    My uncle uses this on the beaches and parks in Florida.
    He looks for current, lost Jewelry.
    On average, 1-2 days a week, on and off, he scores $35K-$50K a year...not bad.

4 weeks later
    #955 4 years ago

I was thrilled with the pre show and show.
    Of course I know they will drag things out, but I know I personally dont care about a "treasure chest"

If you didnt watch, there is evidence of a stone paved dock in the swamp, a 200 foot anomaly in the swamp, under 50 feet they are doing core drills on, A dig started under Nolans Cross center Stone, A fine Hand held stone chisel found at end of Smiths Cove, along with a Silver veneer button, and extension of the Coffer dam 50 feet from the Slipway, and the discovery of the early 1800s mine site, which helps in mapping whats next by the money pit.
    They also identified a heavy iron stone breaking tool, for tunneling or rock breaking.
    Previews show additional Tunnels and it appears box drains found in cove.
    The swamp gets drained as well.

My negative.....3 years worth of shows....good or bad, I am baited now, and expect controlled episodes for ratings.....

2 weeks later
    #963 4 years ago

The amount of material pre 1600, and in theory 1400s, is amazing!

One theory, I can think of, is the 1492 Expulsion of 200,000 Jews from Spain.
    Many went by boat, and some ended up south of US, in the Island of Granada that is known.
    Yes, within 1 day of Columbus, but thats another story.
    Who knows if a ship went north? They feared persecution, and could have buried the wealth they took.

#969 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Or maybe people kept things in working order forever back then. And the tools were made well and lasted longer. So a 1400's tool was still used in the 1800's when it was dropped. Could it be?

Possible, but what do we have around from the 1600s being used?
    I dont think so....Hundred years seems about Max

#971 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Metal blacksmithing tools? Quite a few. And that's despite the fact that lots of old metal tools were melted down to be used during all the last centuries wars.

Really? Any example of a 1600s tool in the US being used Today?

#976 4 years ago

I was impressed.
    Finding pre pit wood, where there is drains, thats impressive.

The Brooch or rope ornament find, was a stunner, for dating.

I have only seen one coiled rope piece of jewelry similar. No leaf,
    but it was verbally dated by owner as revolutionary period.
    It didnt have a hinge pin, but was worn tied into a scarf.

Slow, yes, but they 3 years of episodes to fill, so my expectations are low.

A real neat excavation continues at Gobekli Tepe, if anyone is interested....oldest find of its kind.
    I ran into a small display at IAPPA, and it turned out a principal there was involved....we talked for an hour! Amazing Find!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    1 week later
    #982 4 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Yeah, I'm hooked into this show too. Tuesday's night episode was less that exciting thou. Am enjoy the history lessons I'm getting from the show.
    I remember that issue of Reader's Digest that started this whole thing. My dad had a copy of it on top of the toilet tank when I was young.
    My brother made a fake treasure map with lemon juice and heated it up with a candle underneath to make it look old and I fell for it , that there was buried treasure on our 3 acres (but heck, I wanted to believe I was only 8). I didn't get as far as digging thou. lol

Sounds just like my childhood!

1 month later
    #999 4 years ago

I read they have several years still under contract.
    This leads me to believe there is a lot more to the Archaeology than a "Treasure" found.
    Tomorrow they are back in the swamp, but finding shaft 2 the way they did was brilliant.

#1008 4 years ago

With the Templars being "outlawed" in 1307, some say the treasures fare from the Jerusalem temple 1187. (See Copper Scroll)
    Along with other pillaging, this made them wealthy, and strong and became socio/political targets.
    This is where some of the Templar Treasure Story may have originated.

#1013 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Sorry I missed that. How did they locate shaft #2? I just see educated sample drilling that got them there.

They found the docs that showed a drainage sluice running vertical. This would be the only one dug, I believe.
    They found that, and traced it back to shaft 2, using, as stated above, core samples where they hit cross beam.

#1016 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Last week and this weeks episodes are the reason I dislike the show. Oh look a painting and if we randomly put a pentagram over it , then randomly put the painting on a "cross" of random rocks, we get a point in the swamp.
    Next week ....... oh nevermind, we'll now randomly change the position of the pentagram and put different random lines on the painting to match a woman we found in the background of another painting. Now if we change the position of the pentagram on the "cross" we now intersect the point in the swamp here.
    All this random bullcrap takes away all credibility on the show. Makes the whole thing look like a bloody circus show.
    Just dig and find and present information. Stop with the hoaky bull manure "theories". I wind up fast forwarding through all that mess anyway. Waste of time and kills brain cells.

Dont watch until its over.....Really some people find it fascinating.
    There is a Whole religion out of Utah based on earlier Travels to North America,
    our History books get changed, hopefully, with the Vikings now being earlier than Spain or Portugal.
    The knights Templar is so rooted, you have a Seeing Eye...the Eye of Horus on Every Dollar Bill.
    Same Hoaky BS that let our countries leaders put it all over our money and Capital....

But I do respect your view that you dont like the show...thats fine.

#1021 4 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1026 4 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

To anyone else who has watched from the beginning I have a question. I thought that at least the first year or two their name Lagina was pronounced like vagina. Am I just imagining that or faulty memory?

Late Night, Rob? too funny!

#1028 4 years ago

Too Good!!! LMFAO!

Rick took the Treasure and left the Doritos!
    or was it pringles?

#1036 4 years ago

Just Imagine, they find definitive proof of an earlier visit from Europe!

This would personally make me happy, after spending several days in the Map room in the Vatican.
    I was floored to see coastal maps of the US pretty well drawn, prior to 1492, and our belief that NA was unknown. The Maps would have taken many visits to complete.
    The theory for that is Portuguese ships in the late early to middle 1400s, and the basis for the treaty
    that split the oceans between Spain and Portugal.
    Could earlier ships under Templar funding have arrived? They had the Power and wealth.

1 week later
    #1056 4 years ago

The Text description for next week, which appears to wrap up the season, followed by a "look back"
    shared that they find evidence the swamp was man made by the French.
    The Encampments I believe were British?

#1058 4 years ago

Could be, the guide is only showing 2, and the last one deals with the Brothers, I believe....Filler, if not, they contracted 2 more seasons.
    At least the annoying announcer seems to be quiet a bit.

#1064 4 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I would be shocked if they ended season seven next week. Last year, they had a total of 22 episodes. We are only through 11.
    Unless they completely shut the island down for the year after the hurricane, you wouldn't cut your #1 show in half. They would lose too much ad revenue tied to casual viewers or viewers who only watch Oak Island.

Maybe its just the way Youtubetv displayed it for me....Ill accept my error in that case.

1 week later
    #1078 4 years ago

Feel Free to mock, but others find every aspect fascinating.
    Slow and redundant, yes. But Archaeology is like that.
    Being on a dig site for several days and finding nothing is pretty boring for most all of us,
    but the slow pace of recovery, documentation, restoration, display just take a long time.

We are use to a one hour show that unveils a whole city

1 week later
    #1098 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I disagree, I think they've found plenty in the way of our understanding of history involved not only Oak Island but to some extent our own country as well. I'm really shocked that there was so much going on over on this side of the pond at such an early date. Look at what these people accomplished on a huge scale and by hand, just the personal will to get something done on this scale is beyond comprehension at least for me.

Indeed, and the last 2 posts exemplify our society.... Patience, understanding, science, and knowledge vs
    regurgitation of rhetoric being "easy" and not requiring much thought.
    Same battle as always...Stoicism vs Epicurean.

Again, if you arent happy with the show, for whatever reason, Why do you keep watching?

2 weeks later
    #1121 4 years ago

Agreed! Finding the original flood tunnel, filled with coconut fiber for filtering is amazing!
    I thought for sure the flooding was natural cavities around boulders.

That and some more boat metal.

2 weeks later
    #1139 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I thought Tuesday's episode was going to be a 2 hour episode. SlingTV's DVR recorded a two hour episode. The second hour was Blue Book. dang. Was expecting it to be a good season finale episode.
    What's funny is that Marty pretty much said exactly what JohnnyPinball said about digging a proper slope. And the dangerous "undermining." So yeah, wonder why they're using Billy?

Time utility prevented a Large wide, or braced dig to the depth they were going.
    The brothers are very experienced on how to do this, they knew what and how they were doing it.

3 weeks later
    #1182 4 years ago

Well, Im still thrilled with the show, and pleased they finally appear to have a hole over the original spot.
    I dont really care if a small chest of jewels or coins is pulled up. The show ends with that, and the
    Archaeology has been fascinating enough, although slow, redundant, and annoying, as it might be.
    (Digs take a looong time, and years can go into a one hour National Geographic entertainment show)

But here is some stuff I found interesting. If that is a Portuguese Cork Tree, when did the Portuguese
    arrive?
    "In 1520 or 1521, a Portuguese Explorer by the name of Joao Alvares Fagundes, brought a group of Portuguese settlers, mostly from the Azores, to Nova Scotia"

Early maps show them arriving in the 1470s, approx.

In the 1570s, the settlements Governor, Captain Francisco de Souza wrote, well versed, on the type of Nut and Fruit Trees in the Region.

Even this grave marker was found, dated 1558.

#1199 4 years ago

There isnt any Salt deposits geologically to mine over there.
    The Geology is all Glacier Terminal Moraine, above the bedrock.

#1202 4 years ago

My apologies, I reread, but still disagree with Kings supposition writing from 2010.

Salt indeed was important, but further inland to support the Fishing Industry, there were salt Mines.
    Much easier and cheaper, even with Taxes.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/meninmines/salt.asp?Language=English

A History of Mining Activity in Nova Scotia, 1720-1992

1 week later
    5 months later
    #1278 3 years ago

Heres something I find funny in perspective.

I find the view that we have all hoped for, a "Treasure" to be found, to be the "hook"
    Yet, I have been entertained, and pleased with all that they have found on the show.
    All the new "unknowns" that the island has had in its history, is a treasure to me.

In the 60s, when I read this story too, in Readers Digest and Got "Hooked"
    I too, became a kid looking for "Treasure".
    I never found anything of value,
    but when I did dig up an old bottle from a 200 year old outhouse well, or dove into a dusty basement for
    a neat picture frame, or pinball, or even spent 6 hours chiseling out a Herkimer Diamond in NY,
    each one of these came home as a forever treasure with great pride.
    (I also share this, as Ive been going through boxes, and recently found all this!)

I hope for many years of this show, as opposed to all these years summed in a one hour special.

Heres my latest Archeology thrill.

It addresses the misinformation about clothing, for one thing, from the year 250 AD. Approx.

https://tinyurl.com/y3vv25w8

Its a site called Dura Europus

Greek, Roman, Persian and Hebrew archeology frozen in Time.
    Awesome Hebrew Synagogue and Mithric Temple.

Coinage also supports Serapis as being prevalent, which disagrees with "History"

1 week later
    1 month later
    #1302 3 years ago

Only Problem is The Ark was taken by the Babylonians from the first Temple, and likely melted.

The Menorah was taken by Rome, as displayed on the Arch of Titus. 700 years later

The Knights Templar, were searching for treasure, and may have been aware of the Hezekiah's Tunnel,
    but no indication anything found, so some issues with what they were saying as the ark going with knights, is almost impossible.

I had a short trip in the tunnels, and missed an extensive tour with family who documented all of that and Scrolls, etc.

3 months later
    #1451 3 years ago

Not a great Season, but I'm impressed they even had one to film last summer, with Covid shutting down so much.
    The paved road, and some new info shares how the island was a staging area during the war. Pine tar, cork, clay, all resources there, and a hidden shallow bay to a good degree, for unloading and loading provisions.
    Was there a treasure? I think so, and long gone. It's archeology now, and that's all.
    I hope for a good season next year.

I think Gary Drayton should have his own metal detecting show, traveling the US.

7 months later
    #1505 2 years ago

If one watches the show purely for "Wheres the Treasure?", likely you should give up, until something of gold or silver
    pops up, and then you can catch up.

Other then the repetitive dragged out announcing, and editing, Archeologically, its still quite fascinating.

Im hoping that the Portuguese Cork trees, and other artifacts will show the Portuguese presence around 1470.
    This is theorized from coastline maps in the Vatican museum, that shows US coastline by Portuguese, prior to 1492,
    and helps explain the Treaty of Tordesillas, as part of secret knowledge, when Spain and Portugal divided the Oceans and the Planet between the 2.

#1512 2 years ago

Ive been briefly involved in a couple of digs around Jerusalem.

When we watch a new 1 hour show on Saqqara, or say Minoan/Mycenean digs,
    2-3 years of footage is used for a single show.

The "Padding" of this show is what bothers me, and many others.
    Its all for Money and a weekly show. But 2-3 months worth of work to fill 10 - 1 hour episodes,
    Is why we have a bunch of garbage.

I think that in total, we have maybe 6 hours worth of meaningful work, if edited down without the announcer and rehash.

Does it surprise anyone that today we identify Norse settlements earlier than Europe?
    or that Windover is 7000-8000 years old in Florida, with DNA indicating Asian ancestry.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windover_Archeological_Site

Maybe this should be more an Archeology Thread.

Catch the Griffin Warrior shows....Really neat History, or this link I read weekly.

https://www.archaeologica.org/news

1 month later
    #1576 2 years ago

Im fine with the show, and Im fine that people are disappointed in its length, and lack of "Where is the treasure", announcer, etc.

But if you hate it so much, why bother watching?

Why not just wait until you here they "Found something" that interests you, and Then watch?

I cant understand why you would waste your time watching something that disappoints you so much.

#1579 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Personally, I enjoy the show, but you gotta admit, the last few episodes have been pretty brutal. They literally showed Rick washing a log with seaweed for a couple of minutes.

I agree. But I also know that the metal piece dug, that we see mentioned last night and weeks earlier, was one week, by their words, from find, to spectro report.

They cant bring in a big dig, until after covid, most of the Archeology areas are now off limits, and they are addressing this set back, while still trying to film a show, and make it interesting. Not easy. People want the show, their hands are tied, and they need "Something" to fill the space.

Had Covid not happened, they might have gone straight to a big dig, and ignored the swamp road.

So the Tree root found is the biggee this year, its date will show British or Portuguese construction likely.

No Mystery, they were both there. Burying a treasure 100 feet down, just seems not to make any sense, now that we know that British encampments alone, were enough to create the story.

Portuguese Occupation from the 1470s or so, would confirm what some historians have derived from secret info, that entered into Spain and Portugals ocean treaties. The Portuguese kept their trips "secret" from Spain.

1 month later
    #1603 2 years ago

Some great new archeology..... Because wood on Oak Island isnt exciting.

These tombs are all carved in place!
    The Greek Symbolism from 450 BC, is pretty much, Drink, live, be healthy, and come back and do it again.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/a-long-overlooked-necropolis-in-naples-reveals-the-enduring-influence-of-ancient-greece-180979385/

And the worlds oldest Straws, Gold and Silver for drinking Beer! 5000 years ago!
    https://gizmodo.com/these-5-000-year-old-drinking-straws-were-used-to-sip-b-1848378709

#1605 2 years ago

An interesting feature, which is harder to answer is the opening above the stairs.
    One might suggest it was to let air into the lower tomb, but once sealed, it doesnt matter to the dead.

In Greek Judaism, of the Babylonian side, these vents were to allow the deads soul to leave, and come back
    in Physical Resurrections.

The Great Debate as Rome/Greece/Persia/Egypt battled what happens when you die.

====

Watched Oak island and wondered why no one has mentioned that the ship wood, could have ended in the swamp from the Naval Battles between the French and British as Flotsam. King Williams War 1689.
    Ships could have been in service for 20 years, made from earlier felled Lumber. All the Carbon dating matches.
    So it was a staging island for supplies for this war....nothing more. Doesnt mean there wasnt/isnt a treasure,
    it just means all the wood has a logical reason, as well as the road, etc.

2 weeks later
    #1620 2 years ago

Im hooked on Blind Frog Ranch and Growing Belushi.

Somehow, they work good together, and in 3D.

1 week later
    #1626 2 years ago

Just wanted to see if anyone was interested in 3 Oak Island Books in Good Condition.
    The Black one was owned by someone who was planning a trip, and wrote Dan Blankenships Phone Number with Notes in the cover.

$20 All 3, including shipping....Maybe You will find the Treasure!

Art

20220220_162727 (resized).jpg20220220_162727 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #1637 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I wonder if the brothers abandon the search they will leave the island full of huge holes. Will they smooth everything over and re plant trees?

Likely redone for tourists.

Maybe they will leave a 100 foot caisson open, and make it a freefall ride...lit up, with the announcer droning on!

For me, I hope they can prove a Portuguese presence, Earlier than Cabot in 1497,
    which is a theory had happened.

3 weeks later
    #1680 2 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Why wasn't the "Eye of the Swamp" investigated more thoroughly? There is something odd about that area. I don't understand the "Smash and Grab" technique used with these cans. Historically significant items would surely be destroyed.

Nothing is definitive, by they believe there was a rock wall around the hole, and it may have started as a fresh water spring fed well. Its also an assumption that the Portuguese used it in the early 1500s, as it is likely they planted cork trees on the island.
    Its original use likely changed with the British Encampments, during the wars.

What the brothers have solved, is prior to their work, it was assumed no one had a reason to camp, bring ships,
    and set up docks, although it was suggested.

Maybe their was a short term storage of wealth, or maybe just a rumor, as the war activity
    would have been strategically secret.

All Logical, human explanations.

The only 2 unknowns is if they can prove Portugal present in the 1480s, 20 years earlier as some coastal maps suggest,
    or the possibility of any valuables left, or buried...which seems unlikely.

The Bones, leather, bits of paper, to me, all wash in at the ground level through open seawater channels.
    The stuff in the swamp, deposited by storms from all the Naval Battles.
    Everything else is left on the ground from human occupation.

We simply didnt know of its use historically.

The Finger Drains arent explained, but what if they were simply to drain water out instead of in....?

3 weeks later
    #1684 1 year ago

The only conclusions so far have been that the Portuguese were there between 1480 and 1550,
    likely planted cork trees as a coastal marker, found fresh water, and a place to dock, and create pitch.
    Perhaps, an early location that grew a bit when more ships came over time.

Then, the British set up camp there. They built the docks, used the cork, and could identify the land easily, hide ships, supplies, and repairs, during the war(s).

Maybe some treasure was there. They discovered history. Built the premise of the Ark, or Shakespeare's work,
    or Templar treasure, to me, pushed the button too far, hooked people, and then disappointed them.

Im just glad that having followed this for 50 years, Im satisfied that there was more to the story.
    Even if they find some Treasure, it doesnt matter much. Ive seen enough.

5 months later
    #1693 1 year ago

Hurricane must have rearranged everything!

1 month later
    #1707 1 year ago
    Quoted from JonCBrand:

I would (wood?) almost pay for a 10 minute episode that skips all the flashbacks.

I watch on you tube, each episode is 10-15minutes max

1 month later
    #1740 1 year ago

The brass alloy artifact is very interesting.
    Treasure or not, find me that 1480s Portuguese Proof, and rewrite History!
    (Vatican Maps show this)

4 months later
    #1834 11 months ago

If one hasnt watched, they shut down Archeological digs. It appears when they find something, the red tape triggered makes the rest of the work much more difficult. They sent the 2 ladies home.

The dating of the road and artifacts could support this contention: "Fragmentary evidence also suggests a previous expedition in 1473 by João Vaz Corte-Real, their father, with other Europeans, to Terra Nova do Bacalhau (New Land of the Codfish) in North America.["

This would show that the "Treaty of Tordesillas in 1494, which divided the Earth outside Europe into Castilian and Portuguese global territorial hemispheres for exclusive conquest and colonization," has a huge backstory lost to history rewrites.

It adds to changes in the Narrative of Columbus, and other history for 1492 and the Queen of Spain.

So as much as like everyone, I want a Treasure after following this since 1965/6, Id also have liked definitive evidence, of History.

#1837 11 months ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Did he go to Oak Island also?

No, but the reasons for his exploration, financed by Spain, and the Date he sailed was the following day of
    an expulsion law of the Alhambra Decree.

History of Columbus became debated when the Net brought scholars together, as his bio/info, is stored in fragments across many archives.

Was he a Spy? Was he having an affair with the Queen or someone close? Was his trip financed because of Expulsion and he ferried refugees?

History was changed. Much like East Coast Natives, prior to Africans. Some 20 million people erased from History, and our books, prior to the early 1700s.

Id like to see Oak Island show a Prescence prior to "1492", then the Ocean Treaty needs revision, as well as early exploration prior to say 1550.

I dont believe people were there from early Templar time, but if any wealth was brought in the early 1500s, it could include a cross and other items from generation earlier. Jewelry, coinsMany of us might have a cross from a grandparent as a family heirloom....100+ years.

5 months later
    #1906 5 months ago

I have a theory on the coins found in this episode.

All on lot 5. 3 Roman, one Chinese one India 800 AD.

The 1960s readers digest also inspired me.

By 1967 or 1968, my brother and I would go to coin shows at Nathan's at Oceanside.
    At the coin tables, there were always a container of " Ancient Treasure Coins" later relabeled " Oak Island Treasure coins" .25 cents. All mixed over circulated coins. On the Table was a copy of Readers Digest.

I think somewhere around then, other kids like my brother and I shared, to actually go there and scatter some coins to be found, and laugh our asses off.

I can't accept hauling well worn bronze, by weight, as " Treasure"

3 weeks later
    #1954 4 months ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:I figure someday they may team up with Stern or another company and make Oak Island pinball machines and have a piece of that wood somewhere on the playfield as a decoration.
    Or maybe they just sell it in a souvenir shop. There are people dumb enough to buy some I bet.

Youd have to wait 12 years at least to learn your Bonus, and possible Match at the end of your game.

2 weeks later
    #1999 4 months ago

I believe Oak island is made of Terminal Moraine....Created from Glaciers. It allows for Pockets, and loose flow of water.?

1 month later
    #2110 85 days ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I would love a Gold Rush pinball machine, as long as it had an adult setting with Tony Beets doing the callouts, and not bleeped.

Retheme a Roadshow, might work. Its got a Bulldozer, a Radio to redo, Flying Rocks, Blast Zone, a Spinner for Paydirt, and add a Long Ball Trommel.
    One Head is remade as Beets, the other is Parker!

Plenty of modes on the wheel! Loader breaks down, hose leak, etc...

1 month later
    #2207 29 days ago

I'm watching the 3 minute catch up vids on each episode on you tube.
    Then decide if it's worth background noise.
    Other neat ones are the New Saqqara pyramid search, and cave of bones, both on Netflix.
    Hawsss shared pics in his lecture of new, unique burials, and a new passage found in khufu pyramid. These will show up later this year.
    Production ongoing on a Treasure Shipwreck as well.

2 weeks later
    #2236 13 days ago

I was out, and heard a persons phone ring.....the notifier, was the Announcers voice...."Could it be Templar treasure, the ark of the covenant?!"....It really sounded funny in the middle of home depot.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OLDPINGUY.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching?tu=OLDPINGUY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.