Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,265 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by CUJO
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NC_Pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1507 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I pretty much gave up watching last season, just not enough interesting stuff going. Even when I watched, it was just on in the background and I'd occasionally glimpse at the TV when warranted. I had more fun reading this thread with all the funny comments.
    I guess I will tune in tonight for the season premier and see which way they are headed. I'm really waiting for the Lost Gold of WWII season 3, but it seems to be in limbo. Not cancelled, not renewed.

I cut them some slack for last season. It had to be tough trying to film a show during Covid and the lockdowns.

#1508 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I have never missed a episode yet.
    I have learned it is better when I can fast forward every time the narrator starts his flash back crap. I do not need any flash back crap, I have seen it all already.
    Pretty much about 20 minutes of new material in a one hour show.
    I am very impressed with all of the new technology they are using now.
    I also think now they will hand dig more, and not take the chance of ruining whatever may be there.
    My girlfriend hates this show, says it bores her. She is at her house tonight watching baseball, baseball bores the crap out of me.
    All good!

My wife is the same way. She calls it the show that "Recaps its recaps" - you are right, there is about 20 minutes of new material for each episode. The rest they fill with flashback to things that happened 10 minutes prior.

#1513 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

. But 2-3 months worth of work to fill 10 - 1 hour episodes

I think they are out there a lot longer than that, at least Rick is.... It looks like they get there sometime in April and remain until October-ish.

Here is the thing that bugs me... the blacksmith guy who gives the relatively prcise dates on things. I am a metallurgist by training.. and I think this guy is 100% making most of that stuff up.

The other thing is that you can tell that they film stuff and present it out of order. I get it.. they have to in order to make the show flow. You can tell by how Marty is there and how often he is "remote". Unless he has a private jet at his disposal, I doubt he is doing multiple flights each week to and from Oak Island.

#1515 2 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

That's because it is completely staged and the artifact has already been inspected. The blacksmith guy has already been pre briefed on age, location and everything. He is just a puppet for the show.

could be... definitely more likely than the guy being able to look at a dirty piece of iron and instantly know that it is the strapping from a 1675 oaken barrel.

#1517 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I say this every season...
    - I am out,
    - I am done,
    - what a joke,
    - its all staged,
    - they are basically actors,
    - they don't actually say anything,
    - they don't find anything,
    - another f*ckin nail?
    - who's paying for this?
    -
    LOL

I do like the brothers. They are Traverse City guys and Marty went to Michigan Tech… so he is clearly a genius!

I have been following Oak Island for 35 years. While they very rarely find much… occasionally they do find something interesting.

I am sure the show is paying for most of it. It is a highly rated show- so they probably chip in several million dollars to keep the train rolling.

1 week later
    #1535 2 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Kick Laird Niven off the island so they can do what they need to do.

I do wonder how well they all get along. Do they hear, "Metal Detection Expert Gary Drayton" and roll their eyes? Maybe one day we will get an unauthorized tell-all account of all of the sex-drugs-and rock and roll that occurred on Oak Island Did any of the guys try to pee down the bore C4? Things like that

1 week later
    #1547 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Did they find more wood last night?

One of their woodiest episodes. Also another incident of the blacksmith guy looking at a rusty spike and confirming it was from the 1700's

1 week later
    #1558 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skidave:

I watched last night for 10 minutes. They found a piece of round wood in one of the core samples and a button in the woods. OK, next please? I guess I'll wait until the last episode of the season for the recaps and see where they ended.
    BTW, is Gary the only one allowed to use a metal detector? Seems to me, if you have 2 guys walking an area, both should have detectors and shovels?!?!?!? Or is this like the home improvement shows...when the cameras turn off, the crew of workers get everything done and the hosts get ready for the next reveal scene?

LOL... I have always found that pretty funny, like he is a metal detecting deity! He is so renowned that he would never stoop so low as to actually try and dig the things up himself.

#1560 2 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

Actually Jack was using one also, but dam he irritates me with his "trying to hard" and "over acting" with every segment he is in.

Ya know, the show would be more interesting if they made it more like Survivor. At the end of each episode, instead of talking about wood and rusty iron, they voted someone off the island.

I guess they kinda did that yesterday by kicking Miriam and her group off. She wouldn't have been my first choice. Mr Gary and his top-pocket finds would be long-gone.

#1570 2 years ago

Tonight’s episode was slightly more exciting than a test of the emergency broadcast signal.

Even the wood they found was more boring than usual.

#1577 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im fine with the show, and Im fine that people are disappointed in its length, and lack of "Where is the treasure", announcer, etc.
    But if you hate it so much, why bother watching?
    Why not just wait until you here they "Found something" that interests you, and Then watch?
    I cant understand why you would waste your time watching something that disappoints you so much.

Personally, I enjoy the show, but you gotta admit, the last few episodes have been pretty brutal. They literally showed Rick washing a log with seaweed for a couple of minutes.

2 months later
    #1640 2 years ago

So the whole money pit area is barely over an acre. I think the guys from Oak Island need to do a crossover event with Gold Rush. Those guys could dig a 1 acre hole 120 feet deep in just a few days!
    D8FB4EB5-15B0-44FE-8DB4-8AB417C14C34 (resized).jpegD8FB4EB5-15B0-44FE-8DB4-8AB417C14C34 (resized).jpeg

#1651 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Really starting to feel for these guys. The reality that there may be nothing there is starting to show on their faces.
    I would imagine they are gearing up for another run at this since the weather is getting warmer for the next season. At some point they have to call it a good try and just let the Island become a tourist destination. Still holding out hope.

Yeah... I think you could see it last night. They try to look optimisitc, but they are striking out with some pretty big swings. I really do feel for them.

#1658 2 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

This show is pretty amazing, not necessarily for what they find or don't find, but the effect it has on people. It seems to draw people to it that want to make comments like "They're not going to find anything!" or "They're milking it for money!" You seem to be missing anything of value from the show but still want to go negative on it. why watch if you don't enjoy it?
    I'll tell you what I see. This is just my opinion, what do I know? The story from 1795 is suspicious, but we know around 1849 a reporter was out there writing about the digging at the time. Old timers at the time, told him the story and it was printed in the paper in 1849, so we know there was at least a Hoax, or some reason people were searching at that time. They haven't found anything much of value that entire time, but the real story is how it consumes people's lives. Some of them are doing it for the money, but a lot of them have done it for the mystery, which is the same reason people watch it.
    The real story of the show isn't whether or not they'll find anything, it's why they even want to (or you want to watch it). Dan Blankenship went there in the 1960's, decided he thought there was a cave 250 feet below ground nowhere near the money pit, decided he wanted to dig down to it, then with the help or 1 or 2 people dug a hole 10 feet wide and 230 feet deep to Bedrock. Then he drilled a passage 21" wide through the bedrock into the cave, and dove 200 feet underwater, through that narrow passage into the cave, and walked around. He did this on TEN SEPERATE OCCASIONS. Why? .... because he wanted to. Just the sheer amount of determination that would take is mind blowing to me. I think he was crazy, but I respect the guy.
    This is how skyscrapers were invented. Some guy like Dan Blankenship decided he wanted to put his house on top of somebody else's house.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The story's probably nonsense, but the only way they'll know if it is is by doing exactly what the brothers are doing. I admire that they were able to hook the History channel into funding all this. If you think Marty is paying for anything on Oak Island you must have stopped watching in the first season. It's still consistently one of the History Channel's top rated shows... As a matter of fact, if you check out a graph at say this link : https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-tuesday-3-8-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html
    Last week it was the #3 rated show on cable (On Tuesday Night), behind two news programs. They're killing it. And they're 9 seasons in. I don't like the History channel's production of the show or the horrible narrator but the brothers I admire, and I don't think either one of them would lie or misrepresent something.
    So I'll keep watching, it's interesting to me even though they don't find anything. I like when they show the history of what other 'searchers' did and the remains of their work still on the island, even though most of them have passed on. That's cool to me.
    A lot of you seem smart enough to figure out it's a Hoax but not smart enough to figure out the real story is about two brothers doing something just because they want to, even if smug know it alls laugh at them.

I’ve complained about this season being dull (because it has been) but I applaud these guys for following their dream. They bought this island before there was any dream of a show.

I am 100% rooting that they find something.

7 months later
    #1700 1 year ago
    Quoted from JonCBrand:

I would (wood?) almost pay for a 10 minute episode that skips all the flashbacks.

My wife calls it the show that recaps the recaps

#1705 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Well I recorded the episode and haven't watched it yet. But by reading the comments so far, it doesn't sound like I need to. How many times times can you listen to, "Could this be..."?

It’s worth watching. I mean the 2 hours could have probably been condensed down to like 45 minutes, but that is par for the course.

#1711 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

The spin off shows tell me where the original show is headed.

I think it is just a huge money maker. It hits a sweet spot for demographics.

3 weeks later
    #1718 1 year ago

I wish they would get rid of that guy, it gets old in a hurry. The show is interesting, except for him with all of that crap talking about "could it be".

Sooooo much VO, and a vast majority of it is unnecessary

3 months later
    #1764 1 year ago
    Quoted from andylama:

Like many of you, I've known about Oak Island since I was a kid in the mid 1970s. I was deeply intrigued.
    Watched this silly (yet really well produced) cable show when it first started, several years ago.
    Then I canceled cable and forgot about it for a few years.
    Today I see Oak Island mentioned here in the forums, so I jumped into this thread, not realizing that the thread was 5 years old.
    I read the entire first page, and I'm thinking "Ooh, after all these years, finally some big revelation? A 50" caisson? HFS!"
    so I figure I should just skip to the end of this thread to see what the revelation turned out to be.
    *crickets*
    'This season on Oak Island...'
    'umm, is that a rusty nail?'
    'nah, just a twig'
    'could that twig be a shard from Jesus' crucifix, hidden here by the Knights Templar?'
    Tune in next episode to find out!
    Hilarious.
    50+ years later and Lucy is still yanking that football away from us.
    [quoted image]

This season has been a little better than the last couple. I still watch every episode using a DVR so that I can skip all of the narrated flashforwards and flashbacks.

My biggest issue is the dialogue when then do the camera sit downs. They always say the exact same thing, "this is proof that something happened here" and "We have always said that we are interested in the story" and blah blah blah.

2 weeks later
    #1792 1 year ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Any chances these traces of gold are just naturally occurring?

It's doubtful, but possible. There is a chance that the samples are just contaminated. My background is in metallurgy, and while I don't trust that blacksmith's dates at all... most of the stuff they do with x-ray spectrometry is pretty accurate.

ps... last night's episode might rank in the bottom 3

#1796 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Let’s have some fun here:
    1. Who is your favorite person on the show?
    2. Who is your least favorite (can’t be the narrator)?
    3. What month/year will they find treasure or end the show?
    When you name your favorite and least favorite person, make sure you explain why.

I’ll play along

Fav - Marty Latina - he usually has original dialogue and doesn’t suffer from verbal diarrhea (unlike his brother) He is also a Michigan Tech grad

Least - the blacksmith guy who looks at things and give definitive dates. I think he is full of crap. I also dislike 90% of the “guests” they bring in to discuss history and potential theories. However… none compare to the narrator

When…. I think the show has another 3-5 years. I think they all enjoy what they are doing and the show is a money maker. I doubt the ever find anything of true significance

#1798 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Also, did anyone catch the 21st century artifact on the Portuguese wall? Dated back to 2022.
    [quoted image]

Could it be the Sharpie that the Templars used to mark the x on their treasure map?

#1804 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

My three answers:
    1. Billy - he is the most underrated member of the team. I also think Marty is great too.
    2. This is the toughest one. Dislike Rick. Jack has the most ridiculous takes. Gary needs to stop acting like he strikes gold. My vote is for Laird as he cock blocks any significant dig with a trowel.
    3. April 2026. They find a vault with nothing in it.

Yeah Billy is a good answer. No bs from Billy - he knows how to work that escavator with some real talent.

#1805 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

My three answers:
    1. Billy - he is the most underrated member of the team. I also think Marty is great too.
    2. This is the toughest one. Dislike Rick. Jack has the most ridiculous takes. Gary needs to stop acting like he strikes gold. My vote is for Laird as he cock blocks any significant dig with a trowel.
    3. April 2026. They find a vault with nothing in it.

Rick is a mixed bag for me…. He definitely has passion, works hard, and isn’t afraid to do the dirty work. However, he is also a walking cliche machine. It seems like his dialogue consists of a bout 50 sentences that they just cut and paste in ad nauseum

#1817 1 year ago

Just rewatched the pilot... did you know Jack is Craig Tester's SON!

#1820 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

His stepson. Craig's son Drake passed away.

Gotcha… but in the pilot they called him his son. I remember that Craig’s one son passed away…. If I remember correct he said he would never come back to the island.

3 weeks later
    #1828 12 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Tonight's summary:
    1) Road trip to Italy.
    2) Watched Star Trek on Paramount+ instead of watching the road trip. Pretty much whenever "Templars" is mentioned, I'm done. They went off on that stupid tangent in the intro (23 second mark), and I started reaching for the remote.

This episode might have been the most interesting of the year. I think it is worth watching. I didn't even fall asleep!

I keep waiting for the hurricane to roll through there. Wasn't Nova Scotia hit pretty hard last Fall?

2 weeks later
    #1839 11 months ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

10 Things You Didn’t Know about Jack Begley
    https://tvovermind.com/jack-begley/
    (take with a grain of salt since they never mention he is Craig's son/stepson)
    And then his 'data driven' stuff:
    https://exploreceleb.com/jack-begley/

One thing that I do like about the show is that I like all of the guys. Rick talks too much and needs to learn some new clichés, but they are all pretty relatable and don’t mind getting down in the mud and lifting a shovel.

#1848 11 months ago
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

You can have warm days in the fall, their permits will have active dates on them. If the permit says they can go april to october, they have to stop regardless of the weather.

Yeah, they said their permits were expiring and that is why they had to stop working in the Garden Shaft.

All-in-all... the end of the season was pretty good. The last 4 or 5 episodes were the best they have had in years.

#1854 11 months ago

I really don’t care how many seasons it goes on- they will search until they find something… and I’ll probably be watching along the way.

My beef with the show is the number of episodes and the format. I think they could combine a bunch of episodes and cut down on the filler. As far as the format… the endless recaps puts me to sleep.

I think if they combined some of the episodes, and trimmed the recaps- they could probably drop 6-8 episodes BUT the show would be way more entertaining.

6 months later
    #1953 4 months ago
    Quoted from MRG:

S11 E4
    NOTHING. Do not waste your time.
    Maybe a scissor handle.

This season is off to a very weak start

#1958 4 months ago

I'll say it again... As a metallurgist... I think that the blacksmith "Expert" Carmen Legge is full of crap. If he is right more than 50% of the time I'd be shocked.

#1963 4 months ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

I do think he likes to tell them what they want to hear sometimes, but the XRF don't lie. Perhaps the finds that he comments on that they don't show the XRF results to are items that turned out to be modern after all, but they left that footage out to fill the episode?
    Next week's episode should be really interesting though. Muon results and the sump pump in action!

I totally think he tells them what they want to hear. I'd be ok if he said, "I think there is a good chance that this is...." but they make him come across like there is no chance he could be wrong.

XRF is good some things, but not so great for others. It can't detect light elements... even Maganese is a bit suspect... but it can also be prone to reading contamination/artifacts. A few weeks ago they picked up palladium - but without the presence of any other precious metal. That is almost certainly due to some sort of sample contamination. Again. they make this stuff sound 100% legit, but "Archeo-metallurgy" really isn't a thing. You would need a ton of samples to be able to infer anything with complete confidence. If these were highly polished samples it would be one thing... but I don't think they are making cross-samples of the artifact and then mounting and polishing them for the XRF.

1 week later
    #1976 4 months ago

Gotta admit... things are getting more interesting. I didn't fall asleep during the last episode.

#1983 4 months ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Ball did indeed take everything, it's the only logical explanation for his explosion of wealth. I have to believe one of two things based on that, the brothers know something we don't, or they're heads are so far buried in the sand that they've chosen not to take seriously the idea Ball got everything.
    Third option would be they actually do think Ball took the original treasure and think there's another one buried that he didn't get to...

LOL

That's why they keep saying that it's "the history that is most important"

#1984 4 months ago

Finding natural caves has to be a blow to their morale… now every void is likely to just be a natural cave. The fact there is an opening makes it worse… since all of the caves could be interconnected. Almost zero chance people in the 1700’s just randomly stumbled upon a natural cave 140’ below ground.

#1988 4 months ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Yep, this past episode was a snooze fest. A lot of the same-o same-o.
    Looks like next weeks preview show water leaking or filling up the garden shaft. Uh-Oh.
    What did they expect once they got below sea level?? Duh!
    They didn't need booby trapped water tunnels if you are deep enough underground to hit water anyway.

Especially if there are a series of underground caves.

Makes it seem pretty unlikely that those folks in the 1700’s had a great way to pump out water when they were 100’ below ground.

#1993 4 months ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Sure, but how do you explain the sequence of hand cut timbers they’re hitting 100’ below ground that date back to the 1700’s? Someone was able to build a tunnel back then for who knows what reason. I don’t know if there was ever any treasure buried there, and if there was whether any of it is left. But what’s interesting is why the underground tunnels were constructed. There must’ve been a pretty important reason for them to undertake such a Herculean effort like that at the time. Clearly a lot of activity happened on the island that there is no record of.

I think someone may have dug, and maybe even buried a treasure (that was later retrieved), but my guess is that some of that lumber they found has worked it's way into the caves. They never mention if it is ground water or salt water... my suspicion is that it is salt water, which creates a bit of a current with the tide allowing some of the lumber to move around.

It'd be a different story if the cave they found was dry... but it was a natural cave ... completely underwater. How could have 1750's folk handled that amount of water? It would be a different story if they found the cave dry... or if we were talking 1000's of year where sea level changes may have effected it... but that's not the case. Something weird happened there, but Occam's Razor would say that between 300YO engineered flood tunnels and naturally occurring caves... the caves wins out.

FWIW... up until Tuesday... I was hopeful they would find something. Finding the cave pretty much sealed the deal for me.

#1995 4 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I'm guessing they are cherry picking numbers (no tree pun intented, lol). 1700s could be 1799, and maybe the oldest part of the wood? And it probably makes sense to use fallen tress (i.e. older) just to save time/manpower. Have they ever mentioned what kind of wood was found?

Some of it could have been reused as well....

#1996 4 months ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Yep, and remember when Dumas opened the garden shaft after a long winter break? The water level was near the top!
    They had to pump out water for days just to be able to start deepening the shaft.

The whole story only makes sense if you believe that they engineered flood tunnels to act as a booby trap.

#1998 4 months ago

I am not sure about the rot.... but salt water would mean that it is likely coming in from the ocean. If it is freshwater it has to be coming in from the ground water .... but if it was fresh there would be no reason to believe that it was coming in from flood tunnels.

#2014 4 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

I heard she married a pinball nerd, and now spends her day analyzing pinball machine sales records to determine when the next "pinball crash" will be.

ahhhh... she is living the good life!

#2023 4 months ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Episode 7 - Identified a ship’s nail and a laddel. The garden shaft is leaking water.
    What an incredibly boring episode.

Also identified a current in the cave….meaning the water is flowing. I think Marty sees the writing on the wall. He’s a Michigan Tech grad, so he is no dummy!

#2029 4 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I was waiting for the same thing (are they going to suggest it's fresh water?). Heck, they could have just tested the water in the garden shaft before they drained it.
    It's got to be fresh water from the rain, I doubt the level of the ocean water increases much even with a whopper rain storm.

I was guessing that it was related to the storm surge pushing water through the caves... they said there was 30'... that lines up with the water that was entering the cave at the 60' mark they showed at the beginning of the episode.

#2030 4 months ago
    Quoted from Rascal-911:

I live just down the road from Oak Island and I don't hear much exciting going on there. As far as testing the water for gold, further in past Oak Island is a river that flows into the salt water past the Islands, and that is called Gold River, where they had been digging gold for years, likely there will always be traces of gold. You can find gold in the quartz locally.

bingo

#2032 4 months ago
    Quoted from Boxedbeef:

I watch Gold Rush episodes where they can push 500 gallons of water per minute over a 1 mile stretch . Why would you build a ( million dollar ? ) 100 foot deep enclosed wooden well on a coastal island without a sump pump and then leave it closed up for a full season . The “ Searcher Structure “ ( pun intended ) would now be unsafe . The wood swells , the geometry changes and as I am sure … more costly delays ..
    Have fun watching , my only hope is that my 6year old granddaughter gets to see the Secret of Oak Island , revealed , before the next turn of the century ..

I assume that they have some sort of submersible pump that they drop in.... I doubt they wanted something there all winter out of fear that it would freeze. Also... the guys on Gold Rush are dealing with freshwater....

1 week later
    #2053 3 months ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

I learned about Aladdin’s Cave yesterday. What a waste of time. Those fools can’t really believe there is a man-made entrance into the treasure chamber? The smart Lagina brother can’t believe that. It’s a cave underground that’s naturally filled with water.

It had to be a let down to them. There is no way Marty thinks that people, 250 years ago, were able to dig down and use a natural cave (that would have been full of water) as a treasure vault.

It also means there are probably more natural caves throughout the island and the "booby trapped flood tunnels" are just caves that let in water from the ocean.

#2069 3 months ago

I assume that is in Canadian dollars… so it is closer to $2.2m

#2070 3 months ago

I was thinking the same thing, the Lagina’s pass on buying the property but that ends up being where the treasure is. Either way, the Canadian government would probably have a claim to part of it.

Ya know… if I lived there year round I’d be tempted to plant a few artifacts for them to find. Maybe some Egyptian coins and other things that are way out in left field

1 week later
    #2090 3 months ago

For the first time ever, I did not watch the show tonight. It has just been too boring for a while now.
    At least in the past when it was boring, they had Miriam, but now nothing to look at.
    My girlfriend was extremely surprised that I didn't watch it. Instead, we watched a game show that she likes called The Floor.
    They always rerun the show anyway, so I figure if on here anyone mentions it was a good show, I will watch the rerun.
    Hopefully someone here will keep watching the show, and post if more boring shit, or a decent episode.

You'll be sorry that you missed last night's episode. They found a piece of wood with a nail in it **and** they found an old chain hook that was attached to a modern chain (which had been machined). I mean... that's some exhilarating TV right there!

#2094 3 months ago

Yep, one hour for a piece of wood with a nail, a piece of chain with a hook attached, and a glass bead. The most interesting thing was ‘Aladdin’s cave’, of which Rick said ‘we’ll have to come back to this later’.
    Oh yeah, and still no sign of Miriam

"Aladdin's cave" is nonsense, and they know it. No chance that people, 300 years ago... dug done 140 ft and intersected a natural cave in order to hide a treasure. That would be hard to do in 2024, with ground pentrating radar and professional drilling equipment.

#2099 3 months ago

What about the timbers that they drill through that deep? Either people did that, or they washed in from the sea or something.

I don’t remember them hitting any timber beyond about 100 ft

#2102 3 months ago

Pretty sure you are correct, but still, back then and even now that was a long way down.
    Too bad this show is on the History Channel, instead of the Discovery Channel, because maybe they could have got some of those gold miners to dig a very large pit.

Parker would put Mitch on it and he would have accomplished more in a week than Marty and Rick have done in 9 seasons

1 week later
    #2114 88 days ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

They do the same thing with the "paved road" - "it must have been built to load something-of-great-value to the island".
    More likely, it was built to haul oak logs OFF the island. You don't build a stone road to help you off-load a couple of treasure chests, since the work required to build the road would far exceed any benefit it could provide. You'd have to have dozens of ships worth of treasure to unload before building a road would be a good idea.

Yeah for sure.... although none of it makes sense. Why wouldn't they have just put the road on the mainland (where presumably there are far more trees)... why do it on some tiny island?

#2119 83 days ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yeah, I think this one was most boring episode of all...

Huh? They found more than just pieces of wood! They found bona fide logs!!!

#2122 82 days ago

One thing about the last couple of episodes… Marty is starting to seem agitated. I think he is getting frustrated at wasting his time there.

1 week later
    #2128 76 days ago
    Quoted from MRG:

This week's episode is somewhat interesting. Lots of pottery, a piece of a leather shoe and wood at the bottom of the Garden Shaft.

I thought that the boot was unintentionally funny… like now we are supposed to get excited about finding a boot? Like every bad fishing tale ever told… the one that got away turned out to be an old boot.

I will say this… I do have hope for next week. Finding the wood *below* the garden shaft might be the most interesting thing they have found in 2 years.

Also… maybe they are reading our topic, but they finally stated that the water filling the garden shaft was salt water so that was kinda interesting too

#2134 75 days ago
    Quoted from Oneironaut:

" A potentially important discovery? " AGGGGHHHHH...If I hear that one more fargin time I'm gonna puke!

"Could it be" a potentially important puke that will help you discover the remnants of ...

1 week later
    #2150 62 days ago

Please tell me more!
    I did watch last week's episode rerun in the 8pm time slot, and it looked like tonight's episode was getting better, but I watched The Floor, figuring I could watch the rerun next week, but now The Floor will be on for 2 hours and kill that chance.
    The Floor is over with next week, and I'll be back to watching this show again.

Yeah, in this episode they didn't just find wood, but they found actual tree trunks!

and... they may have actually found the original money pit.

#2158 62 days ago

I see they now have official merchandise

IMG_2946 (resized).pngIMG_2946 (resized).png
    #2159 62 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Did the tree trucks originate from Europe? Maybe they were associated with the Knights of the Templars and brought over on purpose and buried? Perhaps they line up with other tree trunks.
    Someone from the team needs to take a trip to Europe and investigate. The first 30 minutes of the show could be learning things about trees during the trip. Then the second 30 minutes, they can repeat what we just saw prior, to the team.

lol…. This is spot on! This show would be soo much better if they took their 20+ shows a season and edited them down to 8

#2180 55 days ago

Tonight was a perfect example of episode bloat... that entire episode should have been edited down to about 5 minutes.

#2186 55 days ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Great news. So I can delete it off my recorded programs list. Greatest television show in history for "milking it'.

My guess is that their hands are tied. They probably have a contract for 22 episodes (or so), so each episode contains a certain number of days. Unfortunately, archeological digs don't present interesting discoveries in a linear fashion. Especially if they lose a couple of those days because of a major storm.

That makes it a Catch-22 - if they did fewer episodes sorta like "SkinWalker Ranch" and they just edited in 10 action-packed episodes (relatively speaking) they might not have the $$$ to do the big digs. Another option is to do these longer seasons so that the contract is for more $$$... but we get a ton of episode bloat.

The "Gold Rush" option isn't available... that is where they have 4 or 5 teams, but then only focus on 3 of them each week. This allows them to skip a team or two each week in order to extend the season (and presumably edit out some of the mundane content). They have kinda tried this... like when they go to Europe for their trips... if you notice the leaves look different when they are traveling. Honestly, that is probably their best option. Use the offseason to visit locations to add more spice to the show... the problem is that location filming is probably even more expensive than doing the digs.

#2192 54 days ago

Just like the viewers, I think a lot of the ‘Fellowship of the Dig’ are getting wore down by the lack of results. I don’t know how many still believe they’ll actually find anything. I think some would’ve already left if it wasn’t for the steady paycheck the TV show helps to provide. Rick seems to be the only one who still has a real passion for the search. I think Marty has one, maybe two more seasons left in him before calling it quits and moving on.

A few weeks back you could see Marty getting frustrated. He is definitely getting short with people. I think if he doesn’t find some evidence soon we ‘ll see less and less of him

3 weeks later
    #2206 33 days ago

Ugh… I haven’t watched this week’s episode yet…. Maybe I should skip it

1 week later
    #2213 27 days ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I see the garden shaft was filling up with water so likely they'll call it done due to triggering the flood trap.

At least they told us that the water was salty. That was a lot of water entering the tunnel. I am glad that I wasn't the one at the bottom of the shaft!

#2215 27 days ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Yeah it was coming up quickly and you could tell just by the urgency in their voices to get out. Perhaps they may be capable of pumping it low enough to plug it who knows

Yeah I don’t think they faked that for dramatic effect

1 week later
    #2239 16 days ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

These trips should actually be done during off season for recovery, just a waste of what precious time we have left of the year to go across the world and look at stone carvings. That can be done during the winter.

They might be doing it over the winter. They don't always show things in chronological order.

#2246 14 days ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I was playing old school Dungeons and Dragons (Treasure of Tarmin) on the Intellivision.
    I came across this and immediately the narrator of Oak Island was in my head.
    “A crossbow? In Dungeons and Dragons? Could this be the same crossbow used both in the video game and on the island?”
    [quoted image]

That is a legendary game. It had to be the first real crawler game on a console. I actually played it recently... remember the "books" that allowed you to turn things into gold and platinum?

Intellivision had some really cool games.... did anyone play Utopia? Maybe I should start a thread!

#2251 14 days ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

The three books were awesome:
    1. Blue book let you go through walls and doors.
    2. Pink would allow you to see enemies and items through walls.
    3. Purple would allow you to upgrade war items and armor to its max (platinum as you said).
    My goal the other day was to max out everything in the least amount of level as possible. Did it at 39 of 256. I played it on easy so I didn’t have to spend days doing it. [quoted image]

Ahhhh that’s right!! That I thought they upgraded your items, but they did allow you to go through and see through walls!

Also… the game scales with your level. So even if you had super stats you could still come across a nearly unbeatable monster in the deep, deep levels

#2252 14 days ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Not to spam this thread with Intellivision, but one of my favorites was Bump N Jump. I also loved Pinball on the Intellivision.
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image]

It probably deserves its own thread.

1 week later
    #2256 6 days ago

BREAKING NEWS!!! They found a hair in a rock that was under one of the large stones that they had a wrecker to lift to see what was under the stone.
    So next episode I guess the show is about what kind of DNA or whatever they found with the hair.
    The Europe stuff is totally a snooze fest. Most of this show was Europe stuff.
    I would not bother to watch this episode, if you haven't already.

I am now 3 episodes behind. Softball season is in full swing, so my tv viewing times are limited. Oak Island hasn’t been making the cut

#2258 6 days ago

Trust me, you are not 3 episodes behind, if you just skip those 3, you will have saved yourself some valuable time, for real life things like softball.
    However, if you like to watch paint dry, or grass grow, you may like the last 3 episodes.

Yeah, that is why I have been in no rush to watch them… but…. If I skip them, I doubt I ever start watching again. I’ll save them for a night when I can’t sleep.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NC_Pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching?tu=NC_Pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.