Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,265 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by CUJO
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Markharris2000.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1270 3 years ago

It's a fun story to watch, holding out hope that two very close brothers (and all of their investors) find something of big value buried long ago. It's a very expensive hobby for them, financed by the History Channel, the friends and family investor group, and their winery and power systems company profits I would expect. That said, it is very likely (in my opinion) that everything they have found, every timber, coin, tunnel, button and human bone fragment are associated with 250 years of treasure hunters following the tall-tale... It could all be a fanciful story that originated over a bunch of beers in a local nova scotia pub 250 years ago!

Ironicly, I can spend a week with a $200 metal detector in rural new england and find just as much 'loot'.

(That said, I still watch it, "just in case")

LOL

2 months later
    #1280 3 years ago

There are a number of podcast which discuss oak island and although they don’t take a position, they point out that everything called out to date can easily be explained alternatively... in much less mysterious terms.

#1283 3 years ago

Latest one I listened to was Unexplained mysteries, #152 & 153

2 weeks later
    #1295 3 years ago

There is something so curious to see that amount of energy going into a project like this. But I am reminded to 'follow-the-money' and see who is really invested in the search. I am sure History Channel is invested, but not necassarily because of any treasure, but to create unscripted programming that sells big advertising space. Some of the folks on the show appear to essentially be employees of the Oak Island Tours Inc (name?) and that company uses various sources of income to fund search operations. I am sure its a fun job for a few of those folks (and like any job, they get paid for their efforts), and the idea of sharing in the treasure $$ is their long-shot upside). And the construction companies are all just doing their jobs, and selling Oak Island Tours Inc the products or services needed. For a few people on the show, its an actual passion regardless of the money (I am sure Marty, Rick and Dave have the passion and would follow the dream regardless of $$). And it doesn't hurt that Marty owns a very successful winery in Michigan, and I think has part ownership of an industrial power company too... allows him the freedom and funds to chase his dream.

Every one of the companies like Oak Island Tours Inc that have tried this search for 250 years are chasing after that 1-in-a-million chance that there is some truth to the story. That said, most of what is being 'discovered' is the debris of previous searching efforts, or the artifacts of people that have spent time living/camping/wandering across the tiny island itself. They have proven that people have walked those acres for hundreds of years, but the land deed map already shows that, so no real surprise. They have found a couple of bobby-dazzlers laying on the ground, but easy to see that occur with people there (thats why metal detector people comb beach fronts every monday morning around the world today). And the timbers and excavation evidence is clearly left by the previous search efforts. The existance of that stuff just confirms that others have heard the same fanciful story and tried to chase it. And the amazing lead cross is evidence of previous wanderers on the island, not evidence of any treasure being buried. And finally, the swamp appears to be, well a swamp which was probably the space between two islands that filled in with sediment over the 250 years. Again, no mystery there. (Do you know they still find ships buried under the streets of San Francisco?)

All that said, I also watch every episode. It's like driving by a car crash... you just got to see what's happening.

1 month later
    #1299 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

What I find interesting are the historical re-enactments shown periodically throughout each episode. Early on in the series, I thought they used old movie clips. It would be interesting to watch a behind the scenes of how these are made.
    Also, can an acting course be suggested for Jack Begley? Way too enthusiastic!
    I would like to get one of those metal detectors though.

Remember this is reality TV, so much of what you see is planned, and intended to be drawn out to fill 13 hours of programming each season. The character dialog and interactions are 'coached' by the producers I am sure.

#1303 3 years ago

Pretty big stretch to plot a line from the middle east, through Europe to end at oak island 300 years ago. The skeptic in me says I can take any two points on earth, and then draw a line, and simply observe what it crosses in the middle. Somewhere along that middle it will pass over 'something' that can be narrated to be part of the story. Example: I just called up a map of the USA on my screen, then decided that San Jose and Cincinnati are the main characters in my wild story, and behold, I can see that a line passes right over denver. Now I just have to adjust my story to include explorers that had a reason to go through denver and their way to san jose from cincinnati. I can do the same thing with Kathmandu and Dallas, observing it passes right through Cairo. Creating that fancy tale would be easy.

My point is the 'proof' can be fabricated to match the story, if the story is flexible enough to incorporate the proof itself...

#1307 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I've always assumed it was because of the distinctive shape of the island. In a bay full of round and oblong islands, Oak Island sticks out because of the elephant shape.

Looks like a dog to me... but that said I don't know what animal it looked like to them prior to aerial photos!

LOL

#1313 3 years ago
    Quoted from bpull:

although..... I am going to google my house and see if I can line it up with something to mess with my wife. She loves the show too.
    Brian,

If I draw a line from Silicon Valley california to Austin Texas (the silicon valley of texas), I see it runs through Las Vegas. I can now understand how so much of the technology industry finances their startups...

LOL

#1319 3 years ago
    Quoted from bpull:

I think they were showing the curvature of the earth, but they also didn't share if the ends of the lines were on the same latitude , so you could have a valid point.
    Brian

I interpetted the line as showing a great circle route, which when plotted on a flat map, looks curved, but if drawn on a globe would indeed be straight... But again, the 'science' and factual explanations part of the show is NOT one of their strengths!

#1322 3 years ago

The entertainment value is there, but I suspect the same adventure could be had if you dropped the Lagina's and their cohorts into any ghost town or abandoned facility in America. They would have the same net-net results: Using metal detectors and shovels to find a pocket full of misc stuff buried in the dirt, in the walls, in a nearby creek or under some rocks. Or maybe an old mine shaft. Or the basement of a building. That's what people do when they occupy an area for awhile. They leave stuff on purpose and by accident. Nothing of big value, but trinkets will emerge.

I suspect "Beyond Oak island" is the new show that acknowldges this fact, and will hopefully spend just an hour each week chasing a bunch of those kind of dreams, rather than devoting EIGHT SEASONS to looking for one thing. (I am getting kind of bored with watching Irving Equipment sinking metal tubes into the ground for months on end, bringing up... wait for it... stuff that other previous searching teams left there)

#1329 3 years ago

Now if only old axe heads were made of gold....

#1337 3 years ago

I don't think those old bricks are either. Perhaps "Trunk Trinkets"...

LOL

1 week later
    #1352 3 years ago

I haven't watched last night episode yet, but can here Robert Clotworthy saying it already: "Part of an old pot belly stove.?.?.. in the swamp? A swamp that may be the resting place of a 1700's ship???? "

#1363 3 years ago

There is an old prospectors tale about his that travels from Dover to Denver, and buried gold loot in St Louis along the way. It must be true since I can plot lines that show the clear and intentional placement by using these terminal anchors and a 90-degree perpendicular line tht runs right through St. Louis.
    DD1 (resized).jpgDD1 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #1378 3 years ago

The only resource they have not tried yet is a Psychic who can conduct a seance and 'see' where the treasure was buried through the eyes of the guys that did it 250 years ago. I guess that would be a season 9 kinda thing....

1 week later
    #1384 3 years ago

Blind Frog will be another show that spends alot of time going no where. They started with a GIS 3D map of a long cavern that runs underground through their property, but are now poking around and drilling holes like that is the mystery. Last episode they "found" a gold coin, but I feel that might have been staged based on the process they are using to simply drill into the ceiling of a flooded cavern. Anyway, I get the sense alot of the ENTIRE SHOW will be STAGED for TV...

#1386 3 years ago

Beyond Oak Island is the most rediculous show in that genre. They send their side-kick Matty out to have some casual discussions with the loudest proponents of whatever the mysstery is. No science, no exploration, just some emotional 'wow' kind of dialogs. Weird.

#1396 3 years ago

It does kinda make you wonder. Seems like the "Money Pit" is not really a single place on the island, but in fact it's HISTORY CHANNEL'S money and the WHOLE ISLAND is the pit.

#1398 3 years ago

I expect that is the case. Up until the last 50 years, I suspect simpler excursions found and pocketted anything of value very quietly. Trinkets or treasure, it was all within reach I am sure. It is VERY likely that the only digged below 10 feet has been the dreamers who heard the myths and devoted their time and money to change that unicorn. Even things like finding coconut grass on the island could be explained in much simpler ways, like it was used for packing on a ship that docked there. Everything I see is easily explainable...

1 week later
    #1404 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

They found more wood!
    (sorry if I spoiled it before you had a chance to watch it).
    All joking aside, I have never missed a episode, and I hope in the end they do find a treasure.
    At the same time it is the History channel, and they do a pretty good job dating the wood and stuff to add to the history.

They sure do. On last night's episode, they revealed the secret 'floating wood' dating test. Using this amazing science, if you take a chunk of wood and drop it in a pail of water and it sinks to the bottom, then it's "really old". And by inference, if it floats it's 'much newer'. Amazing!!!!!

2 weeks later
    #1417 3 years ago

....And the rock paved roadway helps find the treasure at the bottom of the money pit..., how?????

they are now all over the island looking for trinkets and rusted nails. Who cares?

I can choose any previously populated place in america, and start digging in that now empty plot of land, and I will find nails, and bottle caps, and pennies, and old bottles, some sticks, maybe an old postcard or newspaper, a horse shoe. LOL

3 weeks later
    #1424 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

He did one episode/interview in which he and his wife said enough was enough. He still retains an interest in whatever is found, but no longer plays an active role.

He should have been jumping up and down with their latest 'findings'.... they found a lump of coal on the stone road.... Shezam!

#1425 3 years ago

They found a walking stick tip!!

#1429 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skidave:

LOL! I watch this with my 10 and 12 year old boys. It spawns a lot of creativity and discussion...and waiting.
    We did purchase 2 metal detectors for the boys and that has brought us hours of entertainment. So far, we found a quarter and a lot of trash.

I am surprised that is all you found in Pennsylvania. Seems like those colonies would be chock full of 1700's stuff in the woods... I have a friend in Virginia that finds bobby dazzlers all the time!!!

#1432 3 years ago

Maybe you need to start drilling holes a hundred feet down to find some of the "good" stuff.

#1434 3 years ago

I think I am losing interest... for real.

2 weeks later
    #1446 3 years ago

They have now cornered the market on late 1600's vintage OX shoes...

Truth be told, since season 6, I am finding myself recording it on Tivo and fast forwarding through each episode in like 5 minutes, ready to stop and hit regular speed play *IF* something 'exciting' shows up.... (Haven't hit the regular play button yet).

3 weeks later
    #1470 3 years ago

Jack Begley

"While he continues to star in the reality show, Jack also serves as a producer for the series. According to his Linkedin bio, Jack is a "Treasure Hunter, Producer, & Drone Pilot at Remote Energy Solutions." When he's not treasure hunting, the reality star is focused on running his own company, Remote Energy Solutions.
    (Reno/Saginaw)"

2 weeks later
    #1477 2 years ago

For those that want to put a face to a voice, the announcer is Robert Clotworthy, used by a bunch of programs (Including Ancient Aliens, Civil War gold, Skinwalker)
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0167139/

1 week later
    #1483 2 years ago

I had to laugh a few episodes ago when they were talking about the value of digging up some of the area, and while the Dr. Travis was sitting in the room, the owner on video screen turned and asked his "dragon" security guard, if HE thought it was a good thing to do.... the security guard!!!

I guess listening to the dragon is a better choice than listening to the only scientist in the room! (Although Travis is also the host of Rocket City Rednecks, which makes him a perfect fit for the show!!!)

#1488 2 years ago

Shotguns?? They be huntin’ wabbits...

5 months later
    #1516 2 years ago

I say this every season...
    - I am out,
    - I am done,
    - what a joke,
    - its all staged,
    - they are basically actors,
    - they don't actually say anything,
    - they don't find anything,
    - another f*ckin nail?
    - who's paying for this?
    -

LOL

1 week later
    #1527 2 years ago

They have dug a zillion 6-inch holes, a dozen or so 4 foot holes, and now going to drive a handful of 10-foot wide holes. That is going to be big metal and big machinery. (The pipe is the size of a small room in diameter). I suspect it will be a much longer process so they will have to get started on it in the next few episodes and it will last all the rest of the season. (Remember a couple seasons ago they talked about digging a single 100-foot wide hole... who knows if that will happen.)

3 weeks later
    #1565 2 years ago

Have you ever seen how many state workers it takes to fix a pothole on a public road? One guy holds the "SLOW" sign for oncoming traffic, one guy has a shovel of asphalt, one guy has a pack hammer, one guy supervises, and another guy sits in the truck (watching YouTube I guess).

#1569 2 years ago

I keep having to remind myself that this is scripted tv. They have extended a simple search looking for the specific money pit, to an archeological dig across the entire island, literally from one shore to the opposite shore. We're now at nine seasons, and they are still picking up trinkets and finding house foundations that would be expected for any chunk of land that has had people walking on it for 500 years.

They have lost sight on why they were there in the first place...

1 week later
    #1582 2 years ago

Funny how it took the canadian cultural history bureau to put a bunch of the island off-limits for them to stop looking for trinkets all over it! I know we all will miss Miriam, but that government intervention seems to have focused them on JUST looking for the money pit once again!!!!

After 8+ seasons, I think it's safe to say that if it's anywhere, "It's within a baseball throw from C-1" and they shouldn't be wasting their time on all of the other nonsense.

4 weeks later
    #1607 2 years ago

The brothers were drooling with envy that the guy over in missouri is finding loaded steamboats all over the place, digging them up in short order, and filling museums up with literally TONS of artifacts, worth million$ in real and historical value. The "Beyond Oak Island" show is going to continue to drive a nail in their oak island coffin. Nine years in and the boys are still digging up random wood chunks, likely left their by their treasure hunter predesessors following the same silly oak pipe dream.

Must be frustrating for Rick and Marty to have chosen the wrong lifetime quest as children.

2 months later
    #1666 2 years ago

Was I the only one that took notice of Jack Begley's new homeless-guy look? Seems a bit more homeless looking than he did for the first HUNDRED episodes... (at least it seemed like a hundred). His bio kinda reveals his other hobby too: a drone pilot for Remote Energy Solutions in Traverse City, Michigan or in Reno Nevada (take your pick).

1 week later
    #1676 2 years ago

More mud, more steel cylinders permananetly stuck in the ground. more wood.

Didn't the boys state at the beginning of this season that they were going to focus back on the pit treasure rather than doing historical archaeology? Yet they are still looking for sunken ships and stuff all over the island?

7 months later
    #1709 1 year ago

Beyond Oak Island seems to have some life, since all of the 'other guys' are actually on to something in their own worlds....

5 months later
    #1838 11 months ago

10 Things You Didn’t Know about Jack Begley
    https://tvovermind.com/jack-begley/
    (take with a grain of salt since they never mention he is Craig's son/stepson)

And then his 'data driven' stuff:
    https://exploreceleb.com/jack-begley/

5 months later
    #1865 6 months ago

I can recap the whole new season using my crystal ball:

1) The brothers will spend a bunch of time drilling in the new square shaft, over and over, pulling up pieces of wood and carbon dating it to the 1700s
    2) Gary and the boys will find some more steel nails and ox shoes, along with a pully or eyelet (mysteriously very clean when pulling from the mud)
    3) they will travel to europe again to see what rock walls or cobblestones look like, while talking about knights templar stuff with a new euro KT expert
    4) Billy will use a big bad digger in the swamp and find more mud and some stones. They will abandon at least one digging site due to water/collapse
    5) Miriam will be brought back for some visual distraction from the same ol, same ol
    6) A new researcher will be introduced this season, with another theory that can be pieced into the facts at hand
    7) They will have some kind of government permitting problem, that will divert their energy for a few weeks while they sort it out.

Did I miss anything?

#1877 6 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Pretty sure that was done years ago. Where, how big, and how deep, I don't know.
    I said it before, I think they're just playing in somebody's old sandbox.

At the end of last season (or maybe the one before that), they were talking about digging a 100-foot diameter pit and doing just that. They never mentioned that grand plan again. I suspoect the government permits might prevent them from removing the island from the map!!! LOL

2 weeks later
    #1905 5 months ago

31 minutes of earth shattering Oak Island reveal!

#1914 5 months ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I have a theory on the coins found in this episode.
    All on lot 5. 3 Roman, one Chinese one India 800 AD.
    The 1960s readers digest also inspired me.
    By 1967 or 1968, my brother and I would go to coin shows at Nathan's at Oceanside.
    At the coin tables, there were always a container of " Ancient Treasure Coins" later relabeled " Oak Island Treasure coins" .25 cents. All mixed over circulated coins. On the Table was a copy of Readers Digest.
    I think somewhere around then, other kids like my brother and I shared, to actually go there and scatter some coins to be found, and laugh our asses off.
    I can't accept hauling well worn bronze, by weight, as " Treasure"

Just because a single coin was minted in 800AD, doesn't mean it was deposited on the island in 800AD. Now if you find a bunch of those coins minted in the same era, and distributed around the island, now you have something to ponder.

1 week later
    #1929 5 months ago

I keep going back to the fundamental flaw in the whole investigation: They do NOT know that anything was ever buried there, only that there have been countless groups of people that have dig all over the island for the past 250 years, looking for what COULD BE a complete fairy tale. And they would have cleared land and built cobblestone paths to get their digging tools and farming tools to the fabled sites on the island. Sure every one of these groups (including rich & marty) are finding wood at 100 feet down, but that wood may have been from the searcher work that each previous group of people did. Think of what Ethan and Cyrus did (the 1700's equiv of Marty and Rick) with Kind Henry's money to find the fabled 'gold' in the new world.

Everything they have found for 11 seasons can easily be attributed to the 250 year old searchers chasing the myth, not the deposit of gold and silver.

LOL

2 months later
    #2120 82 days ago

don't forget two red, white and blue italian ceramic beads.

3 weeks later
    #2154 62 days ago

BUT... they started drawing lines again on a map from the large rocks that form a Templar cross that point to the various things on the island. Funny how you can make any map read as a treasure map if you just draw enough lines and make 'a few' narratives. (Also, I am guessing there are lots of other BIG ROCKS on the insland, but drawing lines through them doesn't support the narrative they want to hear)

LOL

1 month later
    #2216 26 days ago

When you ask AI to generate a picture of Miriam Amirault from oak Island, this is how it looks...

miriam (resized).jpgmiriam (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #2263 2 days ago

At this point, I think the show will simply end, without any wrap-up or planned end final scripts. It will simply not get renewed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Markharris2000.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching?tu=Markharris2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.