(Topic ID: 206863)

OT: Oak Island....Are you watching?

By OLDPINGUY

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KozMckPinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#539 5 years ago

I watched the season premiere but have not been watching at all before this. They went 6 years without busting caps for a sound wave mapping of the area? That seems like a season one action. Anyway a couple of months ago I broke out my old metal detector and hit a construction site locally here in Massachusetts. My son and I found a 1723 Hibernia Half-Penny. The stories behind that coin are pretty wild if you search online. Lots of conspiracy theories as it is a colonial era trade piece. Nothing else found at the site approached this find in similarity. It was an awesome find yes, equivalent to what the guy is detecting on Oak Island. My thought was, maybe dirt was trucked into the construction site from somewhere else at one time, that's where the coin originated from not this site where it was found. What if the money pit on Oak Island is just garbage dump from somewhere else?

Did they actually find gold there? I saw a teaser commercial that said so and was the reason I watched the premeire.

#542 5 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Yeah I agree that seems like the first thing to do.
    I don’t know anything about seismic mapping so I don’t know if they were blowing smoke or not but... the explanation for them just now doing it is that the area they are interested in is normally considered too shallow to image with the technique, but recent advances in the technology now allows for it.
    Also, it sounds expensive, I think they said the survey is costing over a million. It could be they just couldn’t justify the spend until now or the added publicity / show success is now able to fund such a spend.

I read that they got $3 or 4$ million from the Canadian Government for funding? I could be loose on the details. So it sounds like, whatever they find has to be turned over to the Canadian Feds anyway.

#546 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal-911:

I live a few miles away from Oak Island, and the only treasure I see is in tourism and marketing.

My wife and I honeymooned at a B & B in Chester summer of 2013. Beautiful area you live in. Fog and coastal inlets around every corner. Unique scenery. I think Sydney Crosby is from there?

Well. if they indeed find\found gold that would be noteworthy. The commercial implied it.

#551 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal-911:

Glad you liked it, The Chester area gets many Americans and Europeans during the summer, many come for race week (sail boat race).

I was trying to remember a small place where I had some seafood chowder and my wife reminded me that it was the Seaside Shanty. On the water, good chowder.

1 week later
    #560 5 years ago

Been interesting lately after the siesmic study results and locate from that a new drill hole site. Bringing up horizontal wood and previously human bones indicates a collapsed tunnel. Probably seekers. Also finding a cross bow metallic arrow on the cove site. Cool stuff. Not sure why it took 6 seasons to get here though.

#564 5 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

Oh look I found a wooden pencil!
    Narrator; A wooden Pencil! Romans were known to use wood. The cross that the Romans used to crucify Jesus was wood. Could this be part of that same cross?

There was a teaser that the crossbow projectile was confirmed ancient Roman.

#578 5 years ago

I think they got 3 to 4 million for this season and the more complex activities, from the Canadian government, So ultimately it's the story's answer they are after since the Canadian government would probably own anything they find.

#601 5 years ago

I get the trepidation, but why not just start bulldozing? If they can hold back the ocean in the cove, they can deal with the pit water as well.

3 weeks later
    #632 5 years ago

I still am not understanding why they just don't bulldoze the money pit as others have mentioned here. Probably way cheaper too to do it that way and your answer is achieved. I get that there is a water table but that can be worked around. Now it seems that they are going to concentrate on the swamp? Another 6 or 7 years of this snail dragging process they go through in a different location? Yikes!

#639 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

It is also known that the Chinese were sailing large ships around the Pacific way before Columbus, and they have maps of the West Coast.

And that US map was made in China, just like the one I bought yesterday.

#641 5 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

The only thing that repeats itself more than the narrator of the show are the comments in this thread lol

Thanks Irony Mike. What do you expect from people who buy an expensive pin just to play it for years, over, and over, and over and over......

1 week later
    #657 5 years ago

Maybe the money pit is just a garbage dump for ships that traveled through the area. That is a possibility. Maybe after all this time, 600 year old garbage is treasure.

1 month later
    #763 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal-911:

Locally Oak Island doesn't get much attention. I find it interesting from an archaeological and historical perspective but the style of the TV show is a little much on the high drama side. It would be nice if an undeniable major discovery was made, but that is part of the enduring mystery that keeps everybody tuned in.
    My question is, why such and elaborate non-retrievable hiding spot for treasure?

That's the way of the Templars. Elaborate secrecy. Shoulda got Indiana Jones on the job years ago, he woulda just destroyed the place to get to the loot.

7 months later
    #940 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal-911:

Apparently the guys were racing to work through a stretch of road called the "S turns" and he lost control.
    Just a bit of info that is probably not on the show, but nothing to do with treasure.

Maybe it was a treasured Mustang.

3 months later
    #1010 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I read they have several years still under contract.
    This leads me to believe there is a lot more to the Archaeology than a "Treasure" found.
    Tomorrow they are back in the swamp, but finding shaft 2 the way they did was brilliant.

Sorry I missed that. How did they locate shaft #2? I just see educated sample drilling that got them there.

1 month later
    #1114 4 years ago

Is 1700's history really re-writing the history of North America? It would have to be early exploration than that. That said, it is a very interesting show and even more so since my wife and I honeymooned in Chester, NS around the time the show started by coincidence.

1 year later
    #1572 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I keep having to remind myself that this is scripted tv. They have extended a simple search looking for the specific money pit, to an archeological dig across the entire island, literally from one shore to the opposite shore. We're now at nine seasons, and they are still picking up trinkets and finding house foundations that would be expected for any chunk of land that has had people walking on it for 500 years.
    They have lost sight on why they were there in the first place...

They did refocus to the search on tonite's show and dismissed the 3 person team of archaeologists because of 1st Nation (Native Canadian) restrictions.

#1578 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Personally, I enjoy the show, but you gotta admit, the last few episodes have been pretty brutal. They literally showed Rick washing a log with seaweed for a couple of minutes.

To be so white in the beard and brown in the head of hair, hmmmm, there's a lot of unsolved mystery to the show.

1 month later
    #1596 2 years ago

What was the coin found? No details on that but lots of wood details it seemed....

#1610 2 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

There are lots of logical reasons to explain the things they've found, and they entertain none of them. If it doesn't follow their treasure narrative then they have no desire to discuss it. That is why the show is such a joke. Yet I continue to watch....

What a piece of rebar? Next scene.

9 months later
    #1706 1 year ago

Too bad the 15th century gold coin that they've spent millions pursuing, was found by a simple metal detector outing in Newfoundland instead:

https://www.gov.nl.ca/releases/2022/tcar/1109n05/

5 months later
    #1846 11 months ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Maybe they will find a Knights Templar guarding the treasure.
    [quoted image]

You have chosen....to drag this story out for 10 YEARS?

5 months later
    #1885 6 months ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

I remember the first few times Gary Drayton showed up to metal detect on the island. I always though he was planting most of his "finds". Still kinda do...
    It's just a little too convenient that his guesses were almost exactly what the item is that he finds. I know there's a thing called experience, but some of his earliest guesses were just a little too good. Nowadays when he finds a piece of scrap metal, he says that it's "the kind of metal used for making chests to hold valuables" or some other pie in the sky crap. It would be better if he tempered expectations/predictions and let the experts deal in facts and provide the scientific results that'll show the era said item is from and what the metallurgy tells of its makeup and where/how it was mined.

He probably found the items there but was not found video live so they re-staged finding it for the broadcast and by then he already knew what it was. Metal detecting is 95% nothing happens, no way they followed Gary around with a camera the whole time.

1 month later
    #2025 4 months ago

If it weren't for a $1200 metal detector, this show would be nowhere. Here's to metal detectorists! Booyah.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KozMckPinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching?tu=KozMckPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.