Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,259 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 46.
    #1 6 years ago

Oak Island. My brother and I were bit, in 1965, I believe with the TV guide article.
    I was 5, then and kept that issue for about 13 years. I was completely captivated!
    About 20 years ago, on Ebay, I found a listing with ever book, letters, notes, and maps.
    Nothing important was in there, but it re-captivated me, as it took 6 months to pour through the material.

Of course, I got hooked on the show, and havent missed an episode.
    Ive been blown away with the recent finds of human bones, leather, and pottery at 155 feet. (approx)
    I understand the show is ending, with speculation of the Treasure Found!

I hear from family that visits Nova Scotia frequently, and came back last month with news the area was a buzz,
    with stories of the Treasure and mystery being solved!!

What do you think? Are you watching? Is it Pirate Treasure worthy of a marker on a Pirates Pin?

X marks the spot.....Im excited!....52 years waiting......

#2 6 years ago

Haha. I admit that I’m a fan. I hope they find something but I don’t think they will.

#3 6 years ago

Oh yeah. I'm always watching shows aboot people looking for shit they will never find, and the treasure ones are good.

Now if you will excuse me I have to go watch Hunting Hitler.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Now if you will excuse me I have to go watch Hunting Hitler.

Im more into watching finding Bigfoot myself

#5 6 years ago

Great show, never miss an episode. They may never find any treasure but we will learn a boat-load about potential and actual history of the area and the US to boot. The bones at those depths are very interesting and odd to say the least. I'll be there parked in front of the TV come Tuesday evening without fail.

#6 6 years ago

I absolutely love this show. It’s so interesting. I guess if they don’t find anything I’ll just have to get over it but I am pretty sure everyone that has ever heard the story of Oak Island has been waiting for some answers

For what it’s worth... given the status of the struggle for power between the Soviets and the US at the end of WWII, I can totally see why Stalin would claim to have defeated Hitler whether he actually did or not. If other high ranking German officials escaped to South America it would have been easy for Hitler to do so as well

#7 6 years ago

Tried watching but just couldn't get into it.

I do enjoy "the hunt for the Zodiac killer" though.

#8 6 years ago

When I was a child (less then 10) I found this big “old” book that my parents had. Deep inside there was a 1/2 page story about Oak Island and the myth around it. As a child this blew my mind, actual buried treasure, and here in Canada. I was hooked.

https://www.amazon.ca/Strange-Stories-Amazing-Facts-Astonishing/dp/0895770288/ref=pd_sim_14_2

When the show started I got hooked right away. I get together with a couple friends and watch it every week. We watch it on Wednesday with the Kodi box because in Canada it doesn’t air until Sunday night. (We can’t wait that long). As much as I hate the annoying announcer, I love this show. COULD IT BE..... RICK AND MARTY LEGINA....... the amount of filler in each episode is almost unbearable, but it’s understandable that you need to fill a show one way or another and everyone knows that digging a 50” caisson is the money shot. All that filler with a metal detector is just an attempt to add to the history and lore of the island.

You don’t order a 50” caisson from South Korea unless you think you’ve found something that won’t fit up the hole from a 40” caisson. I believe that they’ve found a treasure, although I don’t know what it is, yet.

I can see that with the history and lore that their building into the show that even if they only find a chunk of lead it will be a priceless chunk of lead because of the story weaved into the finding of it. The artifact becomes more valuable as the story behind it becomes fleshed out.

I believe that there is something of significance down that hole and this latest theory of Templar treasure seems to be the most cohesive story to date.

Only 4 or 5 more episodes left.

#9 6 years ago

The lead time on an oscillator that big from south korea had to be at least 6 months id think. How did they have that specially made for this hole unless they knew they would either need one that big last year, or found something they didnt mention on the show. With the canadian government involved they may not be able to release info on what was found right away. The cost and lead time for that oscillator just seemed odd to me

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

The lead time on an oscillator that big from south korea had to be at least 6 months id think. How did they have that specially made for this hole unless they knew they would either need one that big last year, or found something they didnt mention on the show. With the canadian government involved they may not be able to release info on what was found right away. The cost and lead time for that oscillator just seemed odd to me

Yep. You don’t order equipment that large if you don’t think that you’ll need it.

All of the 6” holes this year that were dug in a grid pattern was just a ruse. They have a target in mind; and it won’t fit up a 40” hole.

#11 6 years ago

Cant imagine what that piece alone cost them. Plus the bridge the company built to hold it. Plus the cost of the drilling

#12 6 years ago

If I remember correctly the 50” was ordered over the 40” because of the something to do with the deviation factor as they went down.

#13 6 years ago

I've watched a lot of episodes but it's just gotten old now.
    Just find something already and get on with it......

#14 6 years ago

I'm all about it. What's at the bottom of bore hole H8. I love the saying " boots and eyes" it's so true, and have taken to saying it myself. Never missed an episode. The Knights Templar stuff as well as all the other history is great.

#15 6 years ago

Wife and I watch it. It’s getting a little repetitive for me, but still watching. We thought if something was ever found it would have been newsworthy and would have heard about it. Great tat lots of history is being discovered, but my belief is they don’t find the ‘treasure.’

Can’t imagine total money spent on this.
    We have a similar story here in this area of the Dutch Schultz treasure...never has been found yet. Here’s a read if any interest. http://www.catskill.net/purple/schultz.htm

#16 6 years ago

I agree, the announcer just killed me, but I block him out now.
    I am trained in this skill from 43 years with my wife!

But, Im so into Archaeology, Anthropology, and Theology, from my family in Europe and Middle East,
    that the show fills my TV viewing with baited enthusiasm!

After going on only a few "digs" in my life, this is one I wish I could be involved in.

Im becoming that old man in the shorts walking the beaches here with a metal detector!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I agree, the announcer just killed me, but I block him out now.
    I am trained in this skill from 43 years with my wife!
    But, Im so into Archaeology, Anthropology, and Theology, from my family in Europe and Middle East,
    that the show fills my TV viewing with baited enthusiasm!
    After going on only a few "digs" in my life, this is one I wish I could be involved in.
    Im becoming that old man in the shorts walking the beaches here with a metal detector!

LMAO, exactly, when I watch this show and the announcer drones on about some insignificant artifact as though it came from the Ark of the Covenant my wife just rolls her eyes and calls me an idiot for watching this show. I believe it is what is called a guilty pleasure.

Gord

#18 6 years ago

Just got SlingTV this fall right before the new season. I remembered hearing about this show before they started it, but quickly forgot about it. So I did one of those all day marathons when they had back to back episodes, and I was hooked.

I find that stuff intriguing. At least they've found something. May not be much of anything anymore, but shows that there was activity. Which it would be really cool to see what actually really went on 200-300 years ago.

But I'd really wish they'd just turn it into a 30 minute show, and stop repeating everything every episode.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

my wife just rolls her eyes and calls me an idiot for watching this show.

I think she knows my wife!

#20 6 years ago

I find it interesting that the one guy, name escapes me, that was a freed slave started buying more and more lots. Imagine buying some land and finding a bunch of treasures.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I find it interesting that the one guy, name escapes me, that was a freed slave started buying more and more lots.

That was indeed interesting, and makes one think that guy possibly did find some hidden riches in order to afford all that land.

#22 6 years ago

I always watch it, but I just find it hard to believe that people back in the day would be capable of hiding something that far down. You would think if it is, there would be some entry to a tunnel topside. If there is something down there, what are the chances they'll destroy it with that heavy equipment?

Maybe they should get Nick Cage to stick his hand in a hole to find a hidden lever that opens secret entrance.

#23 6 years ago

I just find it hard to believe that people back in the day would be capable of hiding something that far down.

The pyramids, cities with plumbing before plumbing, and they covered that there were some people known for tunneling even under the ocean, just to name a few things that would seem impossible.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I just find it hard to believe that people back in the day would be capable of hiding something that far down.
    The pyramids, cities with plumbing before plumbing, and they covered that there were some people known for tunneling even under the ocean, just to name a few things that would seem impossible.

I think people were a lot more capable back when there was no modern equipment. I think the laziness of cutting corners and making things more "up to code" has made us think that it's the only way things can be built today. We just assume that everything has to be made with a machine. An excavator can only dig so far into the ground. But with enoug time and people, they were able to go a lot further. I'm still amazed at how they built the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. All the details they have way up top and how heavy they must be. But yet so perfectly placed.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

I've watched a lot of episodes but it's just gotten old now.
    Just find something already and get on with it......

Have you watched this season? Thinks are looking pretty interesting!

I enjoy this show, read about the island 20 years ago, sounded really interesting. Hope they find something at the botttom of the new cason hole!

#26 6 years ago

I want to know how Pirates with shovels buried something this deep with traps and poison gasses.

#27 6 years ago

Free labor from captured ships and places. Work or die. It's good motivation and has been used for ever.

#28 6 years ago

Each show starts with saying the legend says 7 people have to die, but I've never really heard anything about the legend other than that phrase.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

I want to know how Pirates with shovels buried something this deep with traps and poison gasses.

I think the poison gas is H2S and is formed naturally from the breakdown of organic material without oxygen. It’s heavy so it settles in depressions. I’d assume that some swamp water has filled the caves beneath the island and caused pockets of it.

As far as the other question... man has always had the capability to do amazing things. We always try to discredit mans ingenuity. Contrary to popular believe, aliens were not needed. Lol

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I find it interesting that the one guy, name escapes me, that was a freed slave started buying more and more lots. Imagine buying some land and finding a bunch of treasures.

Samuel Ball, Born in South Carolina 1765, died in 1846.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Free labor from captured ships and places. Work or die. It's good motivation and has been used for ever.

This. Or even in certain cases, never ending loyalty. For thousands of years people have marched to certain death for a cause or even for their leader, king, or possibly even... pirate captain?

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

This. Or even in certain cases, never ending loyalty. For thousands of years people have marched to certain death for a cause or even for their leader, king, or possibly even... pirate captain?

Could it be?

#33 6 years ago

One thing for sure it took a lot of eyes and boots.

#34 6 years ago

Everyone in my family loves this show.
    Been watching since the beginning and this season is the best one yet.
    Hooked is an understatement.
    We don't call the show Oak Island though, we refer to it as "Digging Holes"
    My wife will come home and yell "It's Digging Holes night"
    And yes, none of us can stand the announcer but we make a game out of who can guess what he is going to repeat. Lol

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

How about some of the old mines right here in the states that were dug 200-400 feet deep before the advent of backhoes and excavators.

#36 6 years ago

I really hope they find something down there but can’t wrap my head around the fact that such a huge important treasure would just be left there? Why would it be buried in such a way that no one could retrieve it not even the ones that put it there? Or if there was an easier way to retrieve it that only the people who buried know about then you would think they probably already retrieved it hundreds of years ago.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

I really hope they find something down there but can’t wrap my head around the fact that such a huge important treasure would just be left there? Why would it be buried in such a way that no one could retrieve it not even the ones that put it there? Or if there was an easier way to retrieve it that only the people who buried know about then you would think they probably already retrieved it hundreds of years ago.

Is it plausible? A spiral tunnel? On oak island? One that only the original diggers knew about? Littered with traps and flood tunnels to keep out unwanted intruders?

#38 6 years ago

Is it plausible? A spiral tunnel? On oak island? One that only the original diggers knew about? Littered with traps and flood tunnels to keep out unwanted intruders?

Im reading this and all i hear in my head is the narrator

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

I thought the same thing but I have to look at history and consider the things people left in tombs etc. that amounted to small fortunes even during their own age. King Tut is just one example that comes to mind.

I don't believe there were spiral tunnels, the theory that the tunnels were dug horizontally has a better ring of truth for me.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Im reading this and all i hear in my head is the narrator

That was the idea lol

Quoted from RWH:

I thought the same thing but I have to look at history and consider the things people left in tombs etc. that amounted to small fortunes even during their own age. King Tut is just one example that comes to mind.
    I don't believe there were spiral tunnels, the theory that the tunnels were dug horizontally has a better ring of truth for me.

You’re probably right. That’s just always one of the possible explanations they give all the time lol. I have no idea honestly

#41 6 years ago

I love this show, I’m absolutely addicted to it. I liked on earlier seasons they used to have a segment that was basically “crackpot of the week”, where some guy would come into the War Room with an outlandish theory like Francis Bacon hiding a code in Shakespeares works, or Christopher Columbus hiding the treasures from King Solomon’s temple, or something. Somehow they all had to keep a straight face while filming, and Rick would end up politely telling them “we’ll think about it”. I’d love to see an alternate take where Dave Blankenship tells them to f off and never come back

#42 6 years ago

Haha yeah 8 loved the looks on their faces when they 9bviousky thought the person was crazy. That Shakespeare stuff was aboot as far out as you csn get

#43 6 years ago

I've got to catch up on the show. But I have also followed this a weird bit in my life.

I love a mystery. The hole was the entire myth back then.

#44 6 years ago

I do a bit of metal detecting myself, I have not found anything of great value but I have found silver and gold items (rings, necklaces etc.) I want to find out exactly what model the guy who detects for them has and see if it is any better than the one I use.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I do a bit of metal detecting myself, I have not found anything of great value but I have found silver and gold items (rings, necklaces etc.) I want to find out exactly what model the guy who detects for them has and see if it is any better than the one I use.

Well, you've found more than they have so far. haha.

#46 6 years ago

All I know is the guys from gold rush could have dug down to the money pit by now for less money lol

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

All I know is the guys from gold rush could have dug down to the money put by now for less money lol</blockquote
    Boy Todd is a real idiot at times and his father....plain useless.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Gary appears to use Minelab detectors on there a lot. One of them is a CTX 3030. I have no experience with any Minelabs myself, but they make some kickass models. I’ve always bought White’s myself. They’ve got some great ones too.

#49 6 years ago

"A WOODEN PLANK"

#50 6 years ago

Human remains from two people at a time before the money pit was discovered, parchment, leather binding..... and pottery found at over 190ft! Seems like compelling evidence....

There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.