Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,186 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by NC_Pin
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg
    marty_lagina_meme (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_7965865_3725613 (resized).png
    IMG_1889 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
    5611decd-80b6-413f-96fa-004a49b5133d_text.gif
    IMG_1860 (resized).jpeg
    15703 (resized).jpeg
    christmas-nothing (resized).png
    20231108_102248 (resized).jpg

There are 2,186 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 44.
    #1951 3 months ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

If wood was gold they would be rich lol

I figure someday they may team up with Stern or another company and make Oak Island pinball machines and have a piece of that wood somewhere on the playfield as a decoration.

Or maybe they just sell it in a souvenir shop. There are people dumb enough to buy some I bet.

#1952 3 months ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I figure someday they may team up with Stern or another company and make Oak Island pinball machines and have a piece of that wood somewhere on the playfield as a decoration.
    Or maybe they just sell it in a souvenir shop. There are people dumb enough to buy some I bet.

Yea that’s true and someday they just might do that lol

#1953 3 months ago
    Quoted from MRG:

S11 E4
    NOTHING. Do not waste your time.
    Maybe a scissor handle.

This season is off to a very weak start

#1954 3 months ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:I figure someday they may team up with Stern or another company and make Oak Island pinball machines and have a piece of that wood somewhere on the playfield as a decoration.

Youd have to wait 12 years at least to learn your Bonus, and possible Match at the end of your game.

#1955 3 months ago

How many wood filled bore holes are going to fill 1/2 of the hour on each episode?
    Some of the findings are interesting but they have flogged this poor horse (or ox) about as far as they can go.

I really thinkMarty and Rick will find kid like happiness of being down in the garden shaft , maybe tunnelling left or right, to locate the original chamber.

And the Lagina's will have fullfilled their lifelong dream they had as children, going underground at Oak Island where there might have been treasure that still eludes them in future Season 15.

This 'real' treasure is the marketing of this series!

#1956 3 months ago

What makes them think they will get to the bottom of the shaft, then start tunneling with all of the known water hazards that have plagued them for years? I can't believe I have had a hook in me for 11 seasons.

#1957 3 months ago

The longer they take and the more seasons they do the more money they make they don’t want too be over soon two or 3 more seasons more ?

#1958 3 months ago

I'll say it again... As a metallurgist... I think that the blacksmith "Expert" Carmen Legge is full of crap. If he is right more than 50% of the time I'd be shocked.

#1959 3 months ago

The only remotely interesting thing was the humongous sump pump they showed at the very end for about 2 seconds.

#1960 3 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

The only remotely interesting thing was the humongous sump pump they showed at the very end for about 2 seconds.

They will probably need more of those, and maybe even a diver, if they run into one of those supposed flood tunnels.

All of that water there now may or may not be just ground water from the last several months.

#1961 3 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I'll say it again... As a metallurgist... I think that the blacksmith "Expert" Carmen Legge is full of crap. If he is right more than 50% of the time I'd be shocked.

I do think he likes to tell them what they want to hear sometimes, but the XRF don't lie. Perhaps the finds that he comments on that they don't show the XRF results to are items that turned out to be modern after all, but they left that footage out to fill the episode?

Next week's episode should be really interesting though. Muon results and the sump pump in action!

#1962 3 months ago

I'm glad I stopped watching this about 4 years ago. Every once in a while I will watch a clip from the show that is on YouTube, but it is always disappointing.

The Bobby Dazzler guy is the only one who finds anything.

#1963 3 months ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

I do think he likes to tell them what they want to hear sometimes, but the XRF don't lie. Perhaps the finds that he comments on that they don't show the XRF results to are items that turned out to be modern after all, but they left that footage out to fill the episode?
    Next week's episode should be really interesting though. Muon results and the sump pump in action!

I totally think he tells them what they want to hear. I'd be ok if he said, "I think there is a good chance that this is...." but they make him come across like there is no chance he could be wrong.

XRF is good some things, but not so great for others. It can't detect light elements... even Maganese is a bit suspect... but it can also be prone to reading contamination/artifacts. A few weeks ago they picked up palladium - but without the presence of any other precious metal. That is almost certainly due to some sort of sample contamination. Again. they make this stuff sound 100% legit, but "Archeo-metallurgy" really isn't a thing. You would need a ton of samples to be able to infer anything with complete confidence. If these were highly polished samples it would be one thing... but I don't think they are making cross-samples of the artifact and then mounting and polishing them for the XRF.

#1964 3 months ago

Frog island is very fun too.

IMG_1870 (resized).jpegIMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
    #1965 3 months ago

What happened to Lost Gold of World War II??
    I really like this show!
    The 2nd season eneded with great expectations then they didn't have a Season 3.
    It was a riveting episode as they were being watch as they tunneled into the chamber where they saw old wooden crates.

https://play.history.com/shows/lost-gold-of-world-war-ii/season-2

#1966 89 days ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

They will probably need more of those, and maybe even a diver, if they run into one of those supposed flood tunnels.
    All of that water there now may or may not be just ground water from the last several months.

It's got to be an effort to pump out enough water if they go deeper (depending on soil composition) regardless of a flood tunnel or not. The ground is probably saturated being that close to the water.

I'd rather see more about that aspect than the never ending wood, but I guess that's not what the show is about.

#1967 89 days ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

What happened to Lost Gold of World War II??
    I really like this show!
    The 2nd season eneded with great expectations then they didn't have a Season 3.
    It was a riveting episode as they were being watch as they tunneled into the chamber where they saw old wooden crates.
    https://play.history.com/shows/lost-gold-of-world-war-ii/season-2

Ditto^^. They find a chamber, then nothing, nada. Very disappointing.

#1968 89 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Ditto^^. They find a chamber, then nothing, nada. Very disappointing.

I'm wondering if some government got involved and halted everything, or some group of pirates or organized crime syndicate came and captured or killed everybody, or in the very least, seriously threatened all of them. But, yeah, they need to update us all on the status of that whole thing somehow.

Either way, couldn't be any worse, or funnier, than what happened with that Curse of Civil War Gold show. Now THAT was hilarious!!

#1969 84 days ago

I wonder what the daily cash burn is there. How many crew members are volunteers vs paid staff.

Also did anyone else think Terry the Geologist was "abrasive" in the early years. He doesn't bother me any more.

#1970 84 days ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

I'm glad I stopped watching this about 4 years ago.

I just check this thread periodically like now. Did they find "it", nope, I'll check back next year.

#1971 84 days ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

... I'll check back next year.

Don't be in such a hurry.

#1972 84 days ago

Yup they are in no big hurry they need a lot more shows too do money money lol i5 could be many more years

#1973 83 days ago

S11 E5
    Lead bag seal

#1974 83 days ago
    Quoted from MRG:

S11 E5
    Lead bag seal

Holy crap its not wood.

#1975 83 days ago
    Quoted from JonCBrand:

Holy crap its not wood.

Dam I want more wood

#1976 82 days ago

Gotta admit... things are getting more interesting. I didn't fall asleep during the last episode.

#1977 79 days ago

The worst part is even if they find something (Ball took everything). The government of Canada will take it all. I’ll guarantee they are already working on the red tape to bind the brothers in!

#1978 78 days ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

The worst part is even if they find something (Ball took everything). The government of Canada will take it all. I’ll guarantee they are already working on the red tape to bind the brothers in!

Ball did indeed take everything, it's the only logical explanation for his explosion of wealth. I have to believe one of two things based on that, the brothers know something we don't, or they're heads are so far buried in the sand that they've chosen not to take seriously the idea Ball got everything.

Third option would be they actually do think Ball took the original treasure and think there's another one buried that he didn't get to...

#1979 78 days ago

Yes indeed and just the TV show it self is big money most things get payed for plus they have fun doing the show plus plus all around everyone is happy happy

#1980 78 days ago

I watch it as a bit of a comedy. I almost feel sorry for the voice over guy, saying basically the same line week after week. "A small piece of metal...Could it be..."

#1981 78 days ago
    Quoted from redman822:

I watch it as a bit of a comedy. I almost feel sorry for the voice over guy, saying basically the same line week after week. "A small piece of metal...Could it be..."

Oh, you gotta draw it out longer than that!

"A small piece of iron..... in the shape of a rectangle.....with a small bend in it......found near the other recently found Roman era coins.....that matches the kind used on old treasure chests? Could it be a piece of the chest that housed the Ark of the Covenant as captured by the Knights Templar when they found Solomon's Menorah and took all of Shakespeare's manuscripts with them to the new world and bring them on Oak Island?"

Bonus points if you read that in the narrator's voice.

#1982 78 days ago

You left out the part where they dated it to be between 200 to 800 years old, which means that it’s 800 years old. Bonus points if you envision the camera panning around to all of the smiling faces around the table.

#1983 78 days ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Ball did indeed take everything, it's the only logical explanation for his explosion of wealth. I have to believe one of two things based on that, the brothers know something we don't, or they're heads are so far buried in the sand that they've chosen not to take seriously the idea Ball got everything.
    Third option would be they actually do think Ball took the original treasure and think there's another one buried that he didn't get to...

LOL

That's why they keep saying that it's "the history that is most important"

#1984 77 days ago

Finding natural caves has to be a blow to their morale… now every void is likely to just be a natural cave. The fact there is an opening makes it worse… since all of the caves could be interconnected. Almost zero chance people in the 1700’s just randomly stumbled upon a natural cave 140’ below ground.

#1985 77 days ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Finding natural caves has to be a blow to their morale… now every void is likely to just be a natural cave. The fact there is an opening makes it worse… since all of the caves could be interconnected. Almost zero chance people in the 1700’s just randomly stumbled upon a natural cave 140’ below ground.

One thing about that episode, the sonar stuff was crap I thought, didn't really show much.

Not sure if it is just me, but the announcer/narrator didn't get on my nerves as much.

Maybe they are reading our posts here, and calming down on that now?

#1986 77 days ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Very good point!

#1987 76 days ago

Yep, this past episode was a snooze fest. A lot of the same-o same-o.
    Looks like next weeks preview show water leaking or filling up the garden shaft. Uh-Oh.
    What did they expect once they got below sea level?? Duh!

They didn't need booby trapped water tunnels if you are deep enough underground to hit water anyway.

#1988 76 days ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Looks like next weeks preview show water leaking or filling up the garden shaft. Uh-Oh.
    They didn't need booby trapped water tunnels if you are deep enough underground to hit water anyway.

Especially if there are a series of underground caves.

Makes it seem pretty unlikely that those folks in the 1700’s had a great way to pump out water when they were 100’ below ground.

#1989 76 days ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Quoted from NC_Pin:

Especially if there are a series of underground caves.
    Makes it seem pretty unlikely that those folks in the 1700’s had a great way to pump out water when they were 100’ below ground.

I always thought the flood tunnels were a bit of a stretch. Never passed the "sanity test" and they kept repeating the same story since day one.

#1990 76 days ago

I agree completely. No way there was intentional flood tunnels constructed to hide whatever treasure might have been underground. We've seen these guys struggle with modern equipment and technology. No way any of that stuff could be done with regular old shovels manually.

#1991 76 days ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Sure, but how do you explain the sequence of hand cut timbers they’re hitting 100’ below ground that date back to the 1700’s? Someone was able to build a tunnel back then for who knows what reason. I don’t know if there was ever any treasure buried there, and if there was whether any of it is left. But what’s interesting is why the underground tunnels were constructed. There must’ve been a pretty important reason for them to undertake such a Herculean effort like that at the time. Clearly a lot of activity happened on the island that there is no record of.

#1992 76 days ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

I agree completely. No way there was intentional flood tunnels constructed to hide whatever treasure might have been underground. We've seen these guys struggle with modern equipment and technology. No way any of that stuff could be done with regular old shovels manually.

Yep, and remember when Dumas opened the garden shaft after a long winter break? The water level was near the top!
    They had to pump out water for days just to be able to start deepening the shaft.

#1993 76 days ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Sure, but how do you explain the sequence of hand cut timbers they’re hitting 100’ below ground that date back to the 1700’s? Someone was able to build a tunnel back then for who knows what reason. I don’t know if there was ever any treasure buried there, and if there was whether any of it is left. But what’s interesting is why the underground tunnels were constructed. There must’ve been a pretty important reason for them to undertake such a Herculean effort like that at the time. Clearly a lot of activity happened on the island that there is no record of.

I think someone may have dug, and maybe even buried a treasure (that was later retrieved), but my guess is that some of that lumber they found has worked it's way into the caves. They never mention if it is ground water or salt water... my suspicion is that it is salt water, which creates a bit of a current with the tide allowing some of the lumber to move around.

It'd be a different story if the cave they found was dry... but it was a natural cave ... completely underwater. How could have 1750's folk handled that amount of water? It would be a different story if they found the cave dry... or if we were talking 1000's of year where sea level changes may have effected it... but that's not the case. Something weird happened there, but Occam's Razor would say that between 300YO engineered flood tunnels and naturally occurring caves... the caves wins out.

FWIW... up until Tuesday... I was hopeful they would find something. Finding the cave pretty much sealed the deal for me.

#1994 76 days ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

I'm guessing they are cherry picking numbers (no tree pun intented, lol). 1700s could be 1799, and maybe the oldest part of the wood? And it probably makes sense to use fallen tress (i.e. older) just to save time/manpower. Have they ever mentioned what kind of wood was found?

#1995 76 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I'm guessing they are cherry picking numbers (no tree pun intented, lol). 1700s could be 1799, and maybe the oldest part of the wood? And it probably makes sense to use fallen tress (i.e. older) just to save time/manpower. Have they ever mentioned what kind of wood was found?

Some of it could have been reused as well....

#1996 76 days ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Yep, and remember when Dumas opened the garden shaft after a long winter break? The water level was near the top!
    They had to pump out water for days just to be able to start deepening the shaft.

The whole story only makes sense if you believe that they engineered flood tunnels to act as a booby trap.

#1997 75 days ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

...They never mention if it is ground water or salt water... my suspicion is that it is salt water...

Would salt water help preserve wood? I haven't looked into what keeps the wood from rotting after several hundred years. Plus the type of wood probably plays a role too.

#1998 75 days ago

I am not sure about the rot.... but salt water would mean that it is likely coming in from the ocean. If it is freshwater it has to be coming in from the ground water .... but if it was fresh there would be no reason to believe that it was coming in from flood tunnels.

#1999 75 days ago

I believe Oak island is made of Terminal Moraine....Created from Glaciers. It allows for Pockets, and loose flow of water.?

#2000 75 days ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I believe Oak island is made of Terminal Moraine....Created from Glaciers. It allows for Pockets, and loose flow of water.?

Interesting....

https://notyourgrandfathersmining.ca/the-mystery-of-oak-island#:~:text=Oak%20Island%20was%20connected%20to,1.5%20metres%20lower%20than%20today.

There are 2,186 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 44.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/40?hl=nc_pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.