Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,594 posts
  • 186 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by Zartan
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7A3822E3-9C55-4D56-AB2B-9B7F1F1503E9 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E0E404CE-C4F0-4B20-ABBD-3A454734C2FF.gif
    E9AED4BF-36B7-4EA8-B224-32B985A66A09.gif
    20131224_132128 (resized).jpg
    pic (resized).PNG
    Shock kitten.gif
    caster.PNG
    thats-what-she-said (resized).jpg

There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 32.
    #1501 76 days ago

I will be watching

#1502 76 days ago

Spoiler alert!!
    26 min to the first piece of wood. zzzzzzz

#1503 76 days ago
    Quoted from Percula:

I will be watching

I have never missed a episode yet.

I have learned it is better when I can fast forward every time the narrator starts his flash back crap. I do not need any flash back crap, I have seen it all already.

Pretty much about 20 minutes of new material in a one hour show.

I am very impressed with all of the new technology they are using now.

I also think now they will hand dig more, and not take the chance of ruining whatever may be there.

My girlfriend hates this show, says it bores her. She is at her house tonight watching baseball, baseball bores the crap out of me.

All good!

#1504 75 days ago

The treasure is what these brothers get paid for putting on this show. Pure drivel and a waste of life watching this crap.

#1505 75 days ago

If one watches the show purely for "Wheres the Treasure?", likely you should give up, until something of gold or silver
    pops up, and then you can catch up.

Other then the repetitive dragged out announcing, and editing, Archeologically, its still quite fascinating.

Im hoping that the Portuguese Cork trees, and other artifacts will show the Portuguese presence around 1470.
    This is theorized from coastline maps in the Vatican museum, that shows US coastline by Portuguese, prior to 1492,
    and helps explain the Treaty of Tordesillas, as part of secret knowledge, when Spain and Portugal divided the Oceans and the Planet between the 2.

#1506 75 days ago

Oak Island is just down the road from me, but it hardly gets a mention locally. The most logical theory is, if there was ever anything down there, it is long gone.

The last time I walked around the Island was in the early 80's. I remember it looked like a WW1 battlefield, craters everywhere.

As for the TV show...oh the drama, but the archeological aspect is interesting, although I was hoping for more significant finds.

#1507 75 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I pretty much gave up watching last season, just not enough interesting stuff going. Even when I watched, it was just on in the background and I'd occasionally glimpse at the TV when warranted. I had more fun reading this thread with all the funny comments.
    I guess I will tune in tonight for the season premier and see which way they are headed. I'm really waiting for the Lost Gold of WWII season 3, but it seems to be in limbo. Not cancelled, not renewed.

I cut them some slack for last season. It had to be tough trying to film a show during Covid and the lockdowns.

#1508 75 days ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I have never missed a episode yet.
    I have learned it is better when I can fast forward every time the narrator starts his flash back crap. I do not need any flash back crap, I have seen it all already.
    Pretty much about 20 minutes of new material in a one hour show.
    I am very impressed with all of the new technology they are using now.
    I also think now they will hand dig more, and not take the chance of ruining whatever may be there.
    My girlfriend hates this show, says it bores her. She is at her house tonight watching baseball, baseball bores the crap out of me.
    All good!

My wife is the same way. She calls it the show that "Recaps its recaps" - you are right, there is about 20 minutes of new material for each episode. The rest they fill with flashback to things that happened 10 minutes prior.

#1509 75 days ago

Will the big bore be the cliffhanger for season 10? I hope not, but man that's gonna be disappointing if they come up empty.

#1510 74 days ago

In the beginning I was watching to see the treasure unearthed. But now I find the archeological process very interesting. The work performed on the island hundreds of years ago is astounding, and was for a very important reason which I hope we find out.

#1511 74 days ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If one watches the show purely for "Wheres the Treasure?", likely you should give up, until something of gold or silver
    pops up, and then you can catch up.
    Other then the repetitive dragged out announcing, and editing, Archeologically, its still quite fascinating.
    Im hoping that the Portuguese Cork trees, and other artifacts will show the Portuguese presence around 1470.
    This is theorized from coastline maps in the Vatican museum, that shows US coastline by Portuguese, prior to 1492,
    and helps explain the Treaty of Tordesillas, as part of secret knowledge, when Spain and Portugal divided the Oceans and the Planet between the 2.

One thing I wish they would do is focus a little more on the techniques of whatever they are up to. Many times I've seem them have a map that looks rather detailed with a lot of info for the clearing by the money pit. So someone is sitting down in front of a computer trying to deconstruct all the data for a new point to dig, trying to determine if there's tunnel, etc. - that methodology is interesting to me. But they tend to focus these oddball theories that people come up with, and that person gets '15 minutes of fame' from being on the show and we never see them again.

But I get it - that would point the show more towards being a documentary and that likely doesn't sell as well as the drama.

#1512 74 days ago

Ive been briefly involved in a couple of digs around Jerusalem.

When we watch a new 1 hour show on Saqqara, or say Minoan/Mycenean digs,
    2-3 years of footage is used for a single show.

The "Padding" of this show is what bothers me, and many others.
    Its all for Money and a weekly show. But 2-3 months worth of work to fill 10 - 1 hour episodes,
    Is why we have a bunch of garbage.

I think that in total, we have maybe 6 hours worth of meaningful work, if edited down without the announcer and rehash.

Does it surprise anyone that today we identify Norse settlements earlier than Europe?
    or that Windover is 7000-8000 years old in Florida, with DNA indicating Asian ancestry.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windover_Archeological_Site

Maybe this should be more an Archeology Thread.

Catch the Griffin Warrior shows....Really neat History, or this link I read weekly.

https://www.archaeologica.org/news

#1513 74 days ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

. But 2-3 months worth of work to fill 10 - 1 hour episodes

I think they are out there a lot longer than that, at least Rick is.... It looks like they get there sometime in April and remain until October-ish.

Here is the thing that bugs me... the blacksmith guy who gives the relatively prcise dates on things. I am a metallurgist by training.. and I think this guy is 100% making most of that stuff up.

The other thing is that you can tell that they film stuff and present it out of order. I get it.. they have to in order to make the show flow. You can tell by how Marty is there and how often he is "remote". Unless he has a private jet at his disposal, I doubt he is doing multiple flights each week to and from Oak Island.

#1514 73 days ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Here is the thing that bugs me... the blacksmith guy who gives the relatively prcise dates on things. I am a metallurgist by training.. and I think this guy is 100% making most of that stuff up.

That's because it is completely staged and the artifact has already been inspected. The blacksmith guy has already been pre briefed on age, location and everything. He is just a puppet for the show.

#1515 73 days ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

That's because it is completely staged and the artifact has already been inspected. The blacksmith guy has already been pre briefed on age, location and everything. He is just a puppet for the show.

could be... definitely more likely than the guy being able to look at a dirty piece of iron and instantly know that it is the strapping from a 1675 oaken barrel.

#1516 73 days ago

I say this every season...
    - I am out,
    - I am done,
    - what a joke,
    - its all staged,
    - they are basically actors,
    - they don't actually say anything,
    - they don't find anything,
    - another f*ckin nail?
    - who's paying for this?
    -

LOL

#1517 73 days ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

- I am out,
    - I am done,
    - what a joke,
    - its all staged,
    - another f*ckin nail?
    - who's paying for this?
    -
    LOL

I do like the brothers. They are Traverse City guys and Marty went to Michigan Tech… so he is clearly a genius!

I have been following Oak Island for 35 years. While they very rarely find much… occasionally they do find something interesting.

I am sure the show is paying for most of it. It is a highly rated show- so they probably chip in several million dollars to keep the train rolling.

#1518 73 days ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Some people in this thread might enjoy the book ready player one. The book, not the movie.
    https://readyplayerone.fandom.com/wiki/Halliday%27s_Easter_Egg_Hunt

Is it good? I suppose so since you mention it, so stupid question. I saw someone selling Ready Player Two on FB MP. I had no idea the movie was based on a book. I'll have to check it out.

#1519 72 days ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

- I am out,
    - I am done,
    - what a joke,
    - its all staged,
    - another f*ckin nail?
    - who's paying for this?
    -
    LOL

My sentiments exactly.

#1520 72 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Is it good? I suppose so since you mention it, so stupid question. I saw someone selling Ready Player Two on FB MP. I had no idea the movie was based on a book. I'll have to check it out.

The book is excellent if you grew up in the 80s. The movie was so so.

#1521 72 days ago

The movie should have been 3 movies. One for each key, but im sure it would have been hard to get the rights to all of the references

#1522 72 days ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

The movie should have been 3 movies. One for each key, but im sure it would have been hard to get the rights to all of the references

I think I got ALL the references. I’m an 80s nerd to the core.

1 week later
    #1523 63 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I pretty much gave up watching last season, just not enough interesting stuff going. Even when I watched, it was just on in the background and I'd occasionally glimpse at the TV when warranted. I had more fun reading this thread with all the funny comments.
    I guess I will tune in tonight for the season premier and see which way they are headed. I'm really waiting for the Lost Gold of WWII season 3, but it seems to be in limbo. Not cancelled, not renewed.

Odd, since last season contained the most significant finds yet.

#1524 63 days ago
    Quoted from Napoleon:

One of the most aggravating things is when they find something, then they tend to just move on. "Look a tunnel! It's getting late, the sun is setting." and it just seems to turn into an afterthought.

Or when they sent a camera down one of the larger bore holes to look at something of interest: "Camera broke." "OK, we're done." What!? They can't get the camera fixed and revisit? Apparently not...

If I recall correctly, what wore me out last year was they were running down some stupid theory about rocks on the beach lining up with something. Like this rock was *THE* rock. A shot later on shows what looked like thousands of rocks on the beach. LOL, well yeah - one of them is bound to line up. Plus after hundreds of years you don't think the rocks eventually get moved around from waves and ice? Nobody thought about that scenario?

#1525 63 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

One of the most aggravating things is when they find something, then they tend to just move on.

At the beginning of this season they showed really big equipment, and very big casings ready to go in the ground.

Now they are doing interesting stuff leading up to that, and that is fine.

BUT, if this season they do not bring in and use that big equipment that they have already shown, and have to wait a whole another season, then I will be pissed.

(and even when I get pissed off, I still watch the show, for the 20 minutes a week of new footage, while walking off to the fridge for another beer any time that narrator starts his crap and they flashback crap we have already seen 476 times already).

And I hope they find something AWESOME!, but I also hope they find it in one piece, and not mangled up by the really big equipment.

One thing is for sure, that island does have a whole lot of history going on with it.

#1526 63 days ago

The past few seasons has really drilled my bore-hole...zzzzz....

#1527 62 days ago

They have dug a zillion 6-inch holes, a dozen or so 4 foot holes, and now going to drive a handful of 10-foot wide holes. That is going to be big metal and big machinery. (The pipe is the size of a small room in diameter). I suspect it will be a much longer process so they will have to get started on it in the next few episodes and it will last all the rest of the season. (Remember a couple seasons ago they talked about digging a single 100-foot wide hole... who knows if that will happen.)

#1528 62 days ago
    E0E404CE-C4F0-4B20-ABBD-3A454734C2FF.gif
    #1529 61 days ago
    Quoted from Napoleon:

Kick Laird Niven off the island so they can do what they need to do.

#1530 61 days ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Kick Laird Niven off the island so they can do what they need to do

It sucks that Laird had to "assume" that first people pottery was found and make a big deal about it.

But like 3-5 seasons ago, they were going to get shut down anyway without having Laird there, so at least they can deal with him most of the time.

And it sucks that as far as I know Rick and Marty own the island, but have to get permits for everything.

Most of the time permits = just another tax that does not benefit the purchaser.

I am glad Rick and Marty have been doing whatever they have to, to keep the hunt going.

I just fast forward through all of the flashbacks and other crap anymore, to see the around 20 minutes of actual new footage each show.

I was fine last episode with how much time was spent with the old broken wine bottle, better than more time spent with more wood.

I am wooded out, and fast forward through wood, unless they have it tested for a year, then I will watch briefly to hear the results.

But that narrator, a piece of wood, could it be from a ship, could it be blah, blah, blah, HELL NO! Tired of all of that, like 7 seasons ago.

#1531 60 days ago

A broken wine bottle? From an angry drunk hiding his theft from the ship stores? Could it be that Lars the Lesser in a fit of drunken rage was running from an alien vessel 450 years ago up the stone path to the money pit before being taken to for a round of anal probing?

“You see the cracking pattern on this 1 inch shard? Clearly thrown by a man running for his life. It all fits.”

#1532 60 days ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

He looked like He was very nervous.

#1533 60 days ago

Well, currently with the winter approaching, if anything significant was discovered this past summer season it would have been reported. I just don't see an ancient historical artifact being raised intact with all of the massive drilling taking place.

Sure hope they do find this "mother load" they are pursuing.

#1534 60 days ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

...But that narrator, a piece of wood, could it be from a ship, could it be blah, blah, blah, HELL NO! Tired of all of that, like 7 seasons ago.

Started to watch "Red Notice" on Netflix last night. The movie started, and instantly thought I heard the announcer guy from Oak Island. Yep, it was...

P.S. Terrible movie, didn't make it thru 10 min before it wore on me.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1535 60 days ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I do wonder how well they all get along. Do they hear, "Metal Detection Expert Gary Drayton" and roll their eyes? Maybe one day we will get an unauthorized tell-all account of all of the sex-drugs-and rock and roll that occurred on Oak Island Did any of the guys try to pee down the bore C4? Things like that

#1536 60 days ago

They seriously were analyzing a broken wine bottle? I'm glad I checked out on this show two seasons ago.

#1537 60 days ago
    Quoted from Percula:

He looked like He was very nervous.

He looked very nervous that he had to deliver that message. I think he was worried about the relationship he has built with the group, and now it suddenly turns him into an outcast overnight.

Marty and others feel he is hypothetically working against them and not with them.

#1538 60 days ago

Once the archaeologists became involved, it was inevitable that they would take control of the entire operation imho.

#1539 60 days ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Once the archaeologists became involved, it was inevitable that they would take control of the entire operation imho.

Yep lol the brothers wanna bring in a machine from Modern Marvels to drill a massive hole while Laird and crew rope off a 2 square foot area and go at it with gardening tools. They can have all the pottery they want.

#1540 60 days ago
    Quoted from DJK77:

the brothers wanna bring in a machine from Modern Marvels to drill a massive hole while Laird and crew rope off a 2 square foot area and go at it with gardening tools.

The Modern Marvels machine is coming, it has already been shown on the island in this seasons preview.

For now at least, Laird is only involved pretty much in items found within say 4 feet deep, and so far it seems items 90 feet deep or more is fair game.

Quoted from DanMarino:

They seriously were analyzing a broken wine bottle?

While that is boring they are still trying to solve the mystery of who actually was there long ago digging all of these tunnels, and they said if they could find the neck of the bottle, which they did, it would prove what year and what country.

I get all of that, and I am still into it, I just hate the narrator and all the flashbacks.

It is like every show is made so that if someone is watching for the first time they will kind of get what is going on.

BUT, it bores the shit out of everyone that has watched from day one. (like me).

Anyway, pretty sure that wine bottle came from Trader Joe's.

#1541 59 days ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I do wonder how well they all get along. Do they hear, "Metal Detection Expert Gary Drayton" and roll their eyes? Maybe one day we will get an unauthorized tell-all account of all of the sex-drugs-and rock and roll that occurred on Oak Island Did any of the guys try to pee down the bore C4? Things like that

Doubtful. Look at the cast. As soon as the cameras stop, the nerd talk and dream weaving continues.

#1542 55 days ago

Dig already...

#1543 55 days ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Dig already...

I also hope they dig very soon, but I get what they are doing, even though it is mostly boring as hell to watch.

The 4 - 10 feet diameter cans they plan to put in the ground are very expensive, so right now they are doing lots of the small drill holes and doing tests to try to pinpoint the best places to dig.

Kind of neat that the little bit of metal they are finding with the small drill has some gold flakes in it, and the scientists are leaning toward it being from South America.

#1544 55 days ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Dig already...

1 week later
    #1545 47 days ago

Did they find more wood last night?

#1546 47 days ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Yes! I had to switch to Finding Bigfoot.

#1547 47 days ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

One of their woodiest episodes. Also another incident of the blacksmith guy looking at a rusty spike and confirming it was from the 1700's

#1548 47 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

[quoted image]

I don't think anyone on Gold Rush uses something that big!

#1549 41 days ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Hey, Marty listened to me! He must be a Pinsider.

#1550 41 days ago

But Laird is staying on. Miriam is gone….thanks a lot

There are 1,594 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 32.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside