Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,275 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by MRG
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,275 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 46.
    #1301 3 years ago
    Quoted from MRG:

Last nights episode finally has some new interesting info.

man-we-aint-found-shit (resized).jpgman-we-aint-found-shit (resized).jpg
    #1302 3 years ago

Only Problem is The Ark was taken by the Babylonians from the first Temple, and likely melted.

The Menorah was taken by Rome, as displayed on the Arch of Titus. 700 years later

The Knights Templar, were searching for treasure, and may have been aware of the Hezekiah's Tunnel,
    but no indication anything found, so some issues with what they were saying as the ark going with knights, is almost impossible.

I had a short trip in the tunnels, and missed an extensive tour with family who documented all of that and Scrolls, etc.

#1303 3 years ago

Pretty big stretch to plot a line from the middle east, through Europe to end at oak island 300 years ago. The skeptic in me says I can take any two points on earth, and then draw a line, and simply observe what it crosses in the middle. Somewhere along that middle it will pass over 'something' that can be narrated to be part of the story. Example: I just called up a map of the USA on my screen, then decided that San Jose and Cincinnati are the main characters in my wild story, and behold, I can see that a line passes right over denver. Now I just have to adjust my story to include explorers that had a reason to go through denver and their way to san jose from cincinnati. I can do the same thing with Kathmandu and Dallas, observing it passes right through Cairo. Creating that fancy tale would be easy.

My point is the 'proof' can be fabricated to match the story, if the story is flexible enough to incorporate the proof itself...

#1304 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Pretty big stretch to plot a line from the middle east, through Europe to end at oak island 300 years ago. The skeptic in me says I can take any two points on earth, and then draw a line, and simply observe what it crosses in the middle. Somewhere along that middle it will pass over 'something' that can be narrated to be part of the story. Example: I just called up a map of the USA on my screen, then decided that San Jose and Cincinnati are the main characters in my wild story, and behold, I can see that a line passes right over denver. Now I just have to adjust my story to include explorers that had a reason to go through denver and their way to san jose from cincinnati. I can do the same thing with Kathmandu and Dallas, observing it passes right through Cairo. Creating that fancy tale would be easy.
    My point is the 'proof' can be fabricated to match the story, if the story is flexible enough to incorporate the proof itself...

I felt the exact same way. How in God's name could a line be established back then without the use of Global Positioning?
    I think they are going down a rabbit hole with the story, and breaking out into other shows such as the treasure show recently released.

#1305 3 years ago

Ditto. And exactly how well does that line 'line up'? Within 0.5 degree? 1 degree? Move the starting points just a little different - and you're likely not even close by the time you get 10K miles away.

Really just a whacky idea to fill up episodes.

#1306 3 years ago
    Quoted from bpull:

The one thing I've always thought was why Oak Island? With hundreds of island's around there, why that one? If the 2 guys are right about the alignment, I think that would satisfy me as a possible answer.
    Brian

I've always assumed it was because of the distinctive shape of the island. In a bay full of round and oblong islands, Oak Island sticks out because of the elephant shape.

#1307 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I've always assumed it was because of the distinctive shape of the island. In a bay full of round and oblong islands, Oak Island sticks out because of the elephant shape.

Looks like a dog to me... but that said I don't know what animal it looked like to them prior to aerial photos!

LOL

#1308 3 years ago

Looks like a dog to me... but that said I don't know what animal it looked like to them prior to aerial photos!
    LOL

Dog, elephant... either is fine. Point being, it's one that a captain with a map could readily identify.

#1309 3 years ago

I hear you guys on the alignment stuff, but lets not forget, the stars, sun, moon and planets were used very well to plot courses or to line up buildings and monuments. Look at Stonehenge, the Great Pyramids, The Mayans, etc. Sailors for thousands of years got them selves around following the stars.

Brian

#1310 3 years ago

although..... I am going to google my house and see if I can line it up with something to mess with my wife. She loves the show too.

Brian,

#1311 3 years ago
    Quoted from bpull:

although..... I am going to google my house and see if I can line it up with something to mess with my wife. She loves the show too.
    Brian,

Mine calls it Joke Island as she walks past telling me I watch the dumbest shows.

#1312 3 years ago
    Quoted from bpull:

I hear you guys on the alignment stuff, but lets not forget, the stars, sun, moon and planets were used very well to plot courses or to line up buildings and monuments. Look at Stonehenge, the Great Pyramids, The Mayans, etc. Sailors for thousands of years got them selves around following the stars.
    Brian

And this was their GPS back in the day.

81UHdTosX2L (resized).jpg81UHdTosX2L (resized).jpg
    #1313 3 years ago
    Quoted from bpull:

Brian,

If I draw a line from Silicon Valley california to Austin Texas (the silicon valley of texas), I see it runs through Las Vegas. I can now understand how so much of the technology industry finances their startups...

LOL

#1314 3 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

And this was their GPS back in the day.
    [quoted image]

Can you imagine working that thing on a ship bobbing up and down!? I'd throw up pretty quickly. LMAO

Brian

#1315 3 years ago

As we can plainly see, the line that they drew is curved. Speaking as someone who had five semesters of calculus, you can take any three points in space and connect them with a curved line. If they can add a fourth point, then they’ll have my attention.
    Howie

#1316 3 years ago

Pretty big stretch to....

That should be in the title of the show.

#1317 3 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

As we can plainly see, the line that they drew is curved. Speaking as someone who had five semesters of calculus, you can take any three points in space and connect them with a curved line. If they can add a fourth point, then they’ll have my attention.
    Howie

I think they were showing the curvature of the earth, but they also didn't share if the ends of the lines were on the same latitude , so you could have a valid point.

Brian

#1318 3 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Mine calls it Joke Island as she walks past telling me I watch the dumbest shows.

LOL, tell her it's a guy thing. Which of us as a child never dug in the ground looking for treasure. We never lost that desire.

#1319 3 years ago
    Quoted from bpull:

I think they were showing the curvature of the earth, but they also didn't share if the ends of the lines were on the same latitude , so you could have a valid point.
    Brian

I interpetted the line as showing a great circle route, which when plotted on a flat map, looks curved, but if drawn on a globe would indeed be straight... But again, the 'science' and factual explanations part of the show is NOT one of their strengths!

#1320 3 years ago

It used to be Marty was pretty skeptical on most things. Now he is all in on most things. Must be in his contract. Still have watched every episode just waiting for that one day.

#1321 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

It used to be Marty was pretty skeptical on most things. Now he is all in on most things. Must be in his contract. Still have watched every episode just waiting for that one day.

That is because Marty already found the treasure long ago..........

It's the History Channel show

#1322 3 years ago

The entertainment value is there, but I suspect the same adventure could be had if you dropped the Lagina's and their cohorts into any ghost town or abandoned facility in America. They would have the same net-net results: Using metal detectors and shovels to find a pocket full of misc stuff buried in the dirt, in the walls, in a nearby creek or under some rocks. Or maybe an old mine shaft. Or the basement of a building. That's what people do when they occupy an area for awhile. They leave stuff on purpose and by accident. Nothing of big value, but trinkets will emerge.

I suspect "Beyond Oak island" is the new show that acknowldges this fact, and will hopefully spend just an hour each week chasing a bunch of those kind of dreams, rather than devoting EIGHT SEASONS to looking for one thing. (I am getting kind of bored with watching Irving Equipment sinking metal tubes into the ground for months on end, bringing up... wait for it... stuff that other previous searching teams left there)

#1323 3 years ago

...I suspect "Beyond Oak island" is the new show that acknowldges this fact, and will hopefully spend just an hour each week chasing a bunch of those kind of dreams, rather than devoting EIGHT SEASONS to looking for one thing...

I was thinking the same thing...that the show has run it's course and time to move on.

#1324 3 years ago

I had to explain beyond oak to my wife.
    "Well they're so good at not finding anything, now other people want them to come help them not find anything."

#1325 3 years ago

Is tonight the night? Um, no.

#1326 3 years ago

They found more rocks!

#1327 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

They found more rocks!

Goddammit man use a Spoiler tag I haven't watched yet!!!

#1328 3 years ago

Or maybe another broken tool that we have to run back to the "War Room" to discuss.

#1329 3 years ago

Now if only old axe heads were made of gold....

#1330 3 years ago

Why do I keep watching this show... you’d think after 8 years... I’d finally say enough is enough. The wife thinks I’m crazy. She walks around saying “it’s a bobby dasler” while I watch. She also states that if in fact anything was found, it would be all over the news prior to it showing on air. She has a point.. ha

#1331 3 years ago

Ive been hooked since S1E1, all my buddies make fun of me but I just cant get enough.

#1332 3 years ago

On related note, the show has sparked my interest in metal detectors again. I've had some cheap ones over the years. Even made one as a kid from scratch. But likely the only thing I'd find on my small (1.5 acres) country property is just old broken farm parts.

#1333 3 years ago

If you have a wooded area, you could find an old dump with antique bottles. You could then sell those antique bottles and pay for a ten game pinball collection like I did.

#1334 3 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

If you have a wooded area, you could find an old dump with antique bottles. You could then sell those antique bottles and pay for a ten game pinball collection like I did.

Actually, I have about an acre of woods, which does make it intriguing. Found plenty of bricks over the years, always wondered the history of those, along with tidbits of farming (I assume) metal.

Who knows, maybe I'll find a Knights Templar Cross!

#1335 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

just old broken farm parts.

Would those classify as top pocket finds or bobby dazzlers?

#1336 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Would those classify as top pocket finds or bobby dazzlers?

LOL , I was actually going to call them bobby dazzlers or whatever the heck he calls a find!

#1337 3 years ago

I don't think those old bricks are either. Perhaps "Trunk Trinkets"...

LOL

#1338 3 years ago

I don't think those old bricks are either. Perhaps "Trunk Trinkets"...
    LOL

I'll call them ' Used to hold the shed door open thingies"

#1339 3 years ago

Noticed this series is streaming on Peacock- so no point in catching up? They never found anything ?

Anybody watch the Detectorists? Now that show makes me want to get a metal detector! Who needs reality

#1340 3 years ago

I like to hear what Rick and Marty have to say. I have been fed up with the other background noise from day 1: (the announcer or whatever he is "a rock, did the Knights Templar place this here 400 years ago), and all that speculation crap.

#1341 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

no point in catching up?

CORRECT! Stay away, it is addictive for no reason.

#1342 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

... so no point in catching up? They never found anything ?

Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I like to hear what Rick and Marty have to say....

I thinkk it would be fun to watch some early episodes of these dudes ready to party on Oak Island, and then some recent ones with them sitting at a table dead inside.

#1343 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I thinkk it would be fun to watch some early episodes of these dudes ready to party on Oak Island, and then some recent ones with them sitting at a table dead inside.

Haha! Ok, what the hell- probably will be a movie someday

#1344 3 years ago

8 years and god only knows how much money spent, and almost nothing to show for it. a few coins, an ivory cross... seriously ??? You could take a metal detector to any beach and find a lot more in much less time. I like the show, but these brothers do not know any more about archeology than most of us know. They just got lucky with an idea to make a show about it.

#1345 3 years ago
    Quoted from Manny10:

8 years and god only knows how much money spent, and almost nothing to show for it. a few coins, an ivory cross... seriously ??? You could take a metal detector to any beach and find a lot more in much less time. I like the show, but these brothers do not know any more about archeology than most of us know. They just got lucky with an idea to make a show about it.

Totally agree. they have spent more than they could ever make. Without the TV series I think they would have walked away years ago.

#1346 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I thinkk it would be fun to watch some early episodes of these dudes

Forever Marty did not want to go anywhere near the swamp, now he is totally fine with working there, and that is the main change I have noticed.

And it sucks, but I don't think we will see Vanessa this year.

#1347 3 years ago

Spoiler:

Gary found a piece of a old pot belly stove that "may have come off a 1700's ship".

#1348 3 years ago

I'm more interested in the sonar data from tonight. bet its nothing.

#1349 3 years ago

Not if you watched the trailer.

#1350 3 years ago

Man that water was extra brackish this week.

There are 2,275 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/27?hl=jtm3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.