Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,259 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 46.
    #1251 3 years ago

When their investors are asked for $10,000,000 to help fund the cost, their question is "what have you found thus far to make this promising?" Answer, "wood, wood, and more wood". I'm out.

Was there any ancestry search done on Samual Ball? One man couldn't have spent all of what is thought he found.

#1252 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

When their investors are asked for $10,000,000 to help fund the cost, their question is "what have you found thus far to make this promising?" Answer, "wood, wood, and more wood". I'm out.

*History Channel. Looks at numbers* - Naw, we're still good. Hooked even more viewers this year. Go for it!

#1253 3 years ago

I think they started a big tour business and such there to help defray some of the cost along with of coarse the TV money.

#1255 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Elsewhere in news:

Wow @ the Pompeii video. Thanks for the links!

#1256 3 years ago

I hear Parker Schnabel from Gold Rush is looking for a new hole to dig. He could bring his wash plant Slucifer and sluice all that dirt in no time.

#1257 3 years ago
    Quoted from SaminVA:

I hear Parker Schnabel from Gold Rush is looking for a new hole to dig. He could bring his wash plant Slucifer and sluice all that dirt in no time.

I think he's busy with his new lady friend Tyler in Australia.

#1258 3 years ago

If they plan to dig out that entire money pit area. That will extend the show a few more years.

#1259 3 years ago

Wasn't there a guy in this thread that lived in Nova Scotia, near Oak Island?

Any locals know what next steps are? Are they digging on the island again?

#1260 3 years ago

I heard but unconfirmed since Covid that might have slowed the process and maybe reduce the amount of shows next season due to time loss, but production might resume within a few weeks. Once again just speculation handed down through the grapevine.

#1261 3 years ago
    Quoted from JonCBrand:

I think he's busy with his new lady friend Tyler in Australia.

I think it will be a few more years before Parker looks to settle down.

And there is no way Parker would be interested in Oak Island, except maybe watching on tv.

And I am glad that they did not destroy anything valuable with the way they were digging.

And I hope the show can go on for 2 more seasons, and after that I will be 100% done with it, I hope anyway.

I have seen every episode from day one, and a lot of the extra episodes also, but not any extras in a while, just too damn repeating what we already seen and know.

2 months later
    #1262 3 years ago

Anyone know if they are still working and if we have more shows soon?

#1263 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Anyone know if they are still working and if we have more shows soon?

According to the "Oak Island From the Other Side of the Causeway" Facebook group, the equipment finally showed up last week, and they are back working in the money pit area, but there's no activity in the swamp or Smith's Cove.

No idea on when we'll have new episodes.

#1264 3 years ago

Did they ever find the treasure? I watched many, many episodes. Hoping to see them finally find something besides a rotted out timber and coin from 1981....

#1265 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Did they ever find the treasure? I watched many, many episodes. Hoping to see them finally find something besides a rotted out timber and coin from 1981....

Actually finding the treasure, would effectively conclude the show, and the show happens to be very profitable at the moment, so everyone has to be very careful and they have to work around the whole actually finding the treasure thing.

#1266 3 years ago

Ya you probably right, It is entertaining, that’s for sure. I’ve wasted countless hours waiting on them to find something. Episode after episode....

#1267 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

My theory is that if there was a treasure it was found long ago by the kids who first found the hole, and by Samuel Ball.

If you recall, they had an episode where the McGuiness sisters brought an old piece of jewelry and said their ancestors had indeed recovered a treasure chest.

Samuel Ball was a former slave who went to Oak Island to farm cabbages and ended up one of the wealthiest men in Nova Scotia. I can't make the math on that one work.

#1268 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

My theory is that if there was a treasure it was found long ago by the kids who first found the hole, and by Samuel Ball.
    If you recall, they had an episode where the McGuiness sisters brought an old piece of jewelry and said their ancestors had indeed recovered a treasure chest.
    Samuel Ball was a former slave who went to Oak Island to farm cabbages and ended up one of the wealthiest men in Nova Scotia. I can't make the math on that one work.

Haha, yes. I won’t lie. The story is cool. I just gave up on it. It looks like, as they are gathered around the table, they have run out of shit to say and do...

#1269 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

and the show happens to be very profitable at the moment....

Not as valuable as the treasure dummy!!!

#1270 3 years ago

It's a fun story to watch, holding out hope that two very close brothers (and all of their investors) find something of big value buried long ago. It's a very expensive hobby for them, financed by the History Channel, the friends and family investor group, and their winery and power systems company profits I would expect. That said, it is very likely (in my opinion) that everything they have found, every timber, coin, tunnel, button and human bone fragment are associated with 250 years of treasure hunters following the tall-tale... It could all be a fanciful story that originated over a bunch of beers in a local nova scotia pub 250 years ago!

Ironicly, I can spend a week with a $200 metal detector in rural new england and find just as much 'loot'.

(That said, I still watch it, "just in case")

LOL

#1271 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not as valuable as the treasure dummy!!!

Not if the treasure is loooooong gone

#1272 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

That said, it is very likely (in my opinion) that everything they have found, every timber, coin, tunnel, button and human bone fragment are associated with 250 years of treasure hunters following the tall-tale... I

Aside from the swamp excavations, everything they are finding in the money pit are was already dug up by Robert Dunfield in the 60s... he dug a MASSIVE hole over 100 feet deep, exposed the Heddon and Chappell shafts and tunnels from prior searchers, and went deeper--- finding nothing and obliterating all of the old landmarks and stone formations in the process. He also dug up the beach and obliterated the finger drains that they have spent so much time searching for on TV-- they already *know* that those are gone... so it's all for TV.

The Restalls dug up the beach area as well, and exposed a shaft. It's also where the three men perished-- not at the money pit.

The *only* finds that I thought was really curious were the bones. They were recovered deeper than Dunfield dug, and are older than the other things found on the island. AFAIK, those are the only unique objects found deeper than Dunfield's work... maybe men who were trapped in an undocumented tunnel dug by searchers at some point in history.

https://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/photos/robert-dunfield-excavation-gallery/

#1273 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

Not if the treasure is loooooong gone

But then they don't have to worry aboot the show ending! Win-win!

#1274 3 years ago
    304-Spaceballs-quotes.gif304-Spaceballs-quotes.gif
    #1275 3 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

[quoted image]

That's a hilarious clip. What is that from?

#1276 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

That's a hilarious clip. What is that from?

Spaceballs

2 months later
    #1277 3 years ago

Anyone here from Nova Scotia with any updates?

#1278 3 years ago

Heres something I find funny in perspective.

I find the view that we have all hoped for, a "Treasure" to be found, to be the "hook"
    Yet, I have been entertained, and pleased with all that they have found on the show.
    All the new "unknowns" that the island has had in its history, is a treasure to me.

In the 60s, when I read this story too, in Readers Digest and Got "Hooked"
    I too, became a kid looking for "Treasure".
    I never found anything of value,
    but when I did dig up an old bottle from a 200 year old outhouse well, or dove into a dusty basement for
    a neat picture frame, or pinball, or even spent 6 hours chiseling out a Herkimer Diamond in NY,
    each one of these came home as a forever treasure with great pride.
    (I also share this, as Ive been going through boxes, and recently found all this!)

I hope for many years of this show, as opposed to all these years summed in a one hour special.

Heres my latest Archeology thrill.

It addresses the misinformation about clothing, for one thing, from the year 250 AD. Approx.

https://tinyurl.com/y3vv25w8

Its a site called Dura Europus

Greek, Roman, Persian and Hebrew archeology frozen in Time.
    Awesome Hebrew Synagogue and Mithric Temple.

Coinage also supports Serapis as being prevalent, which disagrees with "History"

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1279 3 years ago

I just looked it up, and here is all I could find:

The eighth season of”The Curse of Oak Island” is not renewed yet but with its constant high viewership ratings, History will surely greenlight the series. The Lagina brothers talked about their budget to last, and they may be working on it. The show may be back in 2022.

#1280 3 years ago

There are a number of podcast which discuss oak island and although they don’t take a position, they point out that everything called out to date can easily be explained alternatively... in much less mysterious terms.

#1281 3 years ago

There are a number of podcast which discuss oak island and although they don’t take a position, they point out that everything called out to date can easily be explained alternatively... in much less mysterious terms.

I would like to catch one of those.

#1282 3 years ago

Which podcast are these? Different opinions are a good thing

#1283 3 years ago

Latest one I listened to was Unexplained mysteries, #152 & 153

#1284 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I just looked it up, and here is all I could find:
    The eighth season of”The Curse of Oak Island” is not renewed yet but with its constant high viewership ratings, History will surely greenlight the series. The Lagina brothers talked about their budget to last, and they may be working on it. The show may be back in 2022.

According to the History Channel website, season 8 starts on Tuesday, November 10th.

#1285 3 years ago

They have been airing commercials for it so nov 10th seems right

#1286 3 years ago

How do they explain human bone fragments, that are carbon dated from the 1600’s From a person from the Middle East. Found 170 feet below the surface?

#1287 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

How do they explain human bone fragments, that are carbon dated from the 1600’s From a person from the Middle East. Found 170 feet below the surface?

That ground has been dug up and reburied multiple times. Who knows what was lying right below the surface that is now 170' down.

1 week later
    #1290 3 years ago

I can't wait, it looks like more and more decent finds are turning up.

#1291 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

There's big money is cabbage growing. Why do you think another name for cash is cabbage?

#1292 3 years ago

They won't find shit. I'm not falling for this crap. Waste of time.

#1293 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

They won't find shit. I'm not falling for this crap. Waste of time.

I've been saying that for years now, but I am still hooked and watch every episode.

#1294 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

I've been saying that for years now, but I am still hooked and watch every episode.

Welcome to O.I.A., would anyone like to start?

Me(raises hand)!

My name is Jack and I am addicted to Oak Island.

#1295 3 years ago

There is something so curious to see that amount of energy going into a project like this. But I am reminded to 'follow-the-money' and see who is really invested in the search. I am sure History Channel is invested, but not necassarily because of any treasure, but to create unscripted programming that sells big advertising space. Some of the folks on the show appear to essentially be employees of the Oak Island Tours Inc (name?) and that company uses various sources of income to fund search operations. I am sure its a fun job for a few of those folks (and like any job, they get paid for their efforts), and the idea of sharing in the treasure $$ is their long-shot upside). And the construction companies are all just doing their jobs, and selling Oak Island Tours Inc the products or services needed. For a few people on the show, its an actual passion regardless of the money (I am sure Marty, Rick and Dave have the passion and would follow the dream regardless of $$). And it doesn't hurt that Marty owns a very successful winery in Michigan, and I think has part ownership of an industrial power company too... allows him the freedom and funds to chase his dream.

Every one of the companies like Oak Island Tours Inc that have tried this search for 250 years are chasing after that 1-in-a-million chance that there is some truth to the story. That said, most of what is being 'discovered' is the debris of previous searching efforts, or the artifacts of people that have spent time living/camping/wandering across the tiny island itself. They have proven that people have walked those acres for hundreds of years, but the land deed map already shows that, so no real surprise. They have found a couple of bobby-dazzlers laying on the ground, but easy to see that occur with people there (thats why metal detector people comb beach fronts every monday morning around the world today). And the timbers and excavation evidence is clearly left by the previous search efforts. The existance of that stuff just confirms that others have heard the same fanciful story and tried to chase it. And the amazing lead cross is evidence of previous wanderers on the island, not evidence of any treasure being buried. And finally, the swamp appears to be, well a swamp which was probably the space between two islands that filled in with sediment over the 250 years. Again, no mystery there. (Do you know they still find ships buried under the streets of San Francisco?)

All that said, I also watch every episode. It's like driving by a car crash... you just got to see what's happening.

1 month later
    #1296 3 years ago

Last nights episode finally has some new interesting info.

#1297 3 years ago

What I find interesting are the historical re-enactments shown periodically throughout each episode. Early on in the series, I thought they used old movie clips. It would be interesting to watch a behind the scenes of how these are made.
    Also, can an acting course be suggested for Jack Begley? Way too enthusiastic!

I would like to get one of those metal detectors though.

#1298 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

You can. For $2500 I think. When Gary said or someone said on a previous show the model # I looked it up. I think that was the price.

#1299 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

What I find interesting are the historical re-enactments shown periodically throughout each episode. Early on in the series, I thought they used old movie clips. It would be interesting to watch a behind the scenes of how these are made.
    Also, can an acting course be suggested for Jack Begley? Way too enthusiastic!

Remember this is reality TV, so much of what you see is planned, and intended to be drawn out to fill 13 hours of programming each season. The character dialog and interactions are 'coached' by the producers I am sure.

#1300 3 years ago
    Quoted from MRG:

Last nights episode finally has some new interesting info.

The one thing I've always thought was why Oak Island? With hundreds of island's around there, why that one? If the 2 guys are right about the alignment, I think that would satisfy me as a possible answer.

Brian

There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/26?hl=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.