Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,223 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg
    marty_lagina_meme (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_7965865_3725613 (resized).png
    IMG_1889 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
    5611decd-80b6-413f-96fa-004a49b5133d_text.gif
    IMG_1860 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,223 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 45.
    #1201 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

There isnt any Salt deposits geologically to mine over there.
    The Geology is all Glacier Terminal Moraine, above the bedrock.

That’s not how the hypothesis of smiths cove worked. To summarize it was a system for concentrating seawater into a brine that could be economically processed into salt.

#1202 3 years ago

My apologies, I reread, but still disagree with Kings supposition writing from 2010.

Salt indeed was important, but further inland to support the Fishing Industry, there were salt Mines.
    Much easier and cheaper, even with Taxes.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/meninmines/salt.asp?Language=English

A History of Mining Activity in Nova Scotia, 1720-1992

#1203 3 years ago

Whether you believe the story or not - how pissed off would you be if years of digging, and milllions and millions of dollars spent turned out to be only a "salt operation."

#1204 3 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Whether you believe the story or not - how pissed off would you be if years of digging, and milllions and millions of dollars spent turned out to be only a "salt operation."

A salt operation at Smiths Cove is totally possible, but I do not think it would explain the wood they just found deep down with Roman numerals.

#1205 3 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

Huh? We're talking about Nova Scotia in the mid-1700's.

They found coins and a gem dated from the 1600's so there were already things happening on the island before the mid 1700's. To engineer something on that scale was definitely not done for a mere taxation abatement scheme.

#1206 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

They found coins and a gem dated from the 1600's so there were already things happening on the island before the mid 1700's. To engineer something on that scale was definitely not done for a mere taxation abatement scheme.

Coins and gems that could easily have been from people in the 1700's that dropped them. Families passed things down a long time you know, and coins were used for hundreds of years.

#1207 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

A salt operation at Smiths Cove is totally possible, but I do not think it would explain the wood they just found deep down with Roman numerals.

Could be water level markers?

#1208 3 years ago

And certainly doesn’t explain the wood they just pulled from the money pit area that also seems to have roman numerals. It’s amazing anyone would make it that far down in the conditions there with hand tools and that certainly wouldn’t have been for salt.

#1209 3 years ago

That could explain about everything except the Roman numeral wood they have found very deep recently.

Simply carpenters marks to know which joints fit together.

#1210 3 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Coins and gems that could easily have been from people in the 1700's that dropped them. Families passed things down a long time you know, and coins were used for hundreds of years.

This. While renovating my kitchen, I found a couple of coins that had been dropped and were under the quarter-round molding. One of those coins was older than the house by a few years... that doesn't push back the date that my house was built.

When my daughter was little, she had an interest in money from other countries. At the time I had a graduate student working for me who was from China, and she brought me a couple of coins from China. As I was helping my daughter identify the coins and when they were made, I realized that one of them was over 300 years old. I tried to return it to the student, thinking it might be valuable, and she laughed-- she said they were still in common circulation, she had picked it from her pocket change, and it was worth less than 10 cents US.

#1211 3 years ago

They will have several shows in the next week, BUT the season finale is 4/28 at 9 pm est.

(doing more with William Shatner, etc until then).

#1212 3 years ago

The vague sneak peek at the final episode showed they find something medieval in the money pit.

Also still looking at Ball's property.

And I did not notice that annoying narrator so bad, maybe they are finally getting rid of that.

#1213 3 years ago

They will have several shows in the next week, BUT the season finale is 4/28 at 9 pm est.
    (doing more with William Shatner, etc until then).

You're right. I was one week short of the finale.

hope we get some answers and not a cliffhanger until next November.

#1214 3 years ago

I didn't know what this show was until I found this thread by accident a few months ago; I don't watch much tv.

You people suck for even bringing it to my attention.

Now I'm hooked on the stupid thing.

#1215 3 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

I didn't know what this show was until I found this thread by accident a few months ago; I don't watch much tv.
    You people suck for even bringing it to my attention.
    Now I'm hooked on the stupid thing.

Do not worry about catching up on all the prior seasons.

#1216 3 years ago

I don't have much hope for any true treasure being brought up. Looks more like a mining experiment than a archeological dig. The home location looks more promising though.

#1217 3 years ago

My wife said there should be a drinking game for this show. Take a drink every time you hear “could it be”

#1218 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toppers:

My wife said there should be a drinking game for this show. Take a drink every time you hear “could it be”

That would be fun... if you want to die of alcohol poisoning!
    We drink on "templar". Depending on the episode, that could kill you too.

#1219 3 years ago

We've been drinking on anytime Jack or Gary get excited, drink on Knights Templar, and double drink on Bobbi Dazzler
    We both got wasted a few weeks ago LOL so we had to lower the proof of the rum

#1220 3 years ago

Seems like this season they've really gone slash and burn on the treasure hunt with their hammer-grab.

I can see it now in the series finale.... we've found the ark of the covenant.... too bad we crushed it into a pancake.

#1221 3 years ago

The last 20 minutes of the last episode was more commercials than show. That was bullshit

#1222 3 years ago

It is rather amazing how many really big timbers they pulled up from the center of the boring machines. That island must look like the old 'Ant Farm' toy I had when I was a kid.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1223 3 years ago

Season Finale tonight!

What are they going to find?

A) Treasure
    B) Nothing
    C) Something of significance (artifact, item from depositors, etc.)
    D) The same old $#!T - wood and dirt

#1224 3 years ago

C- Ohhh it's a Coin..... ( Gary's voice )

#1225 3 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Season Finale tonight!
    A) Treasure
    B) Nothing

E) More questions

#1226 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

C- Ohhh it's a Coin..... ( Gary's voice )

Had a great laugh during the episode when they send Gary down a well near the Money Pit. People toss coins in wells all the time, what was he suppose to find?

#1227 3 years ago

Either way whether they find something tonight, next season three years from etc.... This is still a great show with a lot of learning history in the process and it's way better miles better then that stupid skinwalker fucking ranch with horrible actors and that asshole security guard. Other then Jack who over acts most of the time the cast here is way more enjoyable to watch, Rick and Marty are actually very intelligent guys with the occasional humor tossed in here and there that keeps everything well rounded. I'm in for the long haul unless the good Lord takes me first at which point I'll know the answers before you guys

#1228 3 years ago

Skinwalker Ranch, the "Dragon"... Really???

#1229 3 years ago

Did anyone watch the show from Sunday night, Top ten finds? Basically just went over the bigger finds from season 1 to present.

#1230 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Did anyone watch the show from Sunday night, Top ten finds? Basically just went over the bigger finds from season 1 to present

Yep and the top 10 best never before scenes as well, it was pretty good especially when Marty was singing the theme to Gilligan's Island re-themed to Oak Island

#1231 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

Yep and the top 10 best never before scenes as well, it was pretty good especially when Marty was singing the theme to Gilligan's Island re-themed to Oak Island

He was getting on Rick's nerves at the beginning but later had to start laughing.

#1232 3 years ago

Yeah it was a question of " The Skipper Brave and Sure or Brave and True", I thought a fight was going to break out lol. It's Brave and Sure btw

#1233 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

E) More questions

Quoted from AFM95:

Season Finale tonight!
    A) Treasure
    B) Nothing

E) A link into Season 7

#1234 3 years ago

Seems this episode is a bust? Just a recap? The can is done. They have the swamp date. Are they going to do any more?

#1235 3 years ago

The big dig. 10s of millions. Over 3 years. Well of course it wouldn't take just one year. History channel wouldnt be able to recoup their costs.

But I'd be all for this. Just solve it for good.

#1236 3 years ago

I can't imagine how anyone could commit 10M to digging a hole. Personally I think what was there is long gone.

Hopefully they do the big dig and hit the vault

#1237 3 years ago

When Marty goes around the room, asking everyone if they think there is still something still to find on Oak Island, to sum up their answer:

"Of course there is Marty, and it's worth pursuing. It's not our money we're spending, it's yours and Craig's."

#1238 3 years ago

My guess is they do the big dig. However, there is a lot of discussion on a bigger financial partnership with History Channel, outside investors, etc.

You can tell the "10's of millions of dollars" is giving Marty an ulcer.

#1239 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

[quoted image][quoted image]

OLDPINGUY - you called it three months ago. It looks like "it's (decision) time."

bbf8a2c636c70da7e84474e5297b3719de4de7bd.png (resized).pngbbf8a2c636c70da7e84474e5297b3719de4de7bd.png (resized).png
    #1240 3 years ago

Really disappointed to the end in this seasons show.

#1241 3 years ago

I have been following since this was first on the TV show "In Search Of" in the 70's with Leonard Nimoy.
    I don't know if I can take another year of this.

Very disappointing..

I appreciate the logical and methodical approaches. Honestly, though... the only way to do it is to dig the entire area up instead of trying to find a needle in a haystack.

How many of you think that whatever was there was already found?

#1242 3 years ago

I Think it would be awful if there was no more treasure to find. People would have lost, or spent their lives for a wild goose chase. There is undeniable proof that something big was done on the island in the past. Uncovering the history aspect is all well and good, but I would like to see this group recover something. I think a big dig at this point is the only way to go. Unless someone recovered that vault in secrecy, it is still there. Let hope these guys will be able to finally grab it.

#1243 3 years ago

Maybe they can dig up a massive section of the island, let it flood with sea water, and then have Robert Ballard find the treasure like he found the Titanic.

#1244 3 years ago

With the new concept of digging a massive crater, where are they going to put all of the spoils from that? Can't see Gary running around with his metal detector with an operation of that size.
    With all of the hammer grabs they have done, there should have been at least one thing of value brought up.
    Oh well, on to the The Lost Gold of WWII. Looks to be more interesting, although the hidden camera interview looked like b/s.

#1245 3 years ago
    Quoted from joeraptor2003:

How many of you think that whatever was there was already found?

I'm in the camp that the treasure was already found.

They have discovered pretty much everything to indicate something major happened on the island. However, they haven't found any evidence that a treasure exists, nor the treasure existed at one time.

#1246 3 years ago

The old colored guy got it. ( I forgot his name )

#1247 3 years ago
    Quoted from guss:

The old colored guy got it. ( I forgot his name )

Samuel Ball, The history of him going from potato farmer to one of the richest men and owning a large portion of the island should be proof alone that most or all of the treasure is gone.

#1248 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

With the new concept of digging a massive crater,

Not new... Dunfield has already dug up the whole place back in the 60s. It's why they are finding the ground so soft and unstable.

#1249 3 years ago

Also.. There was mention that two chests were already found.

#1250 3 years ago

I think the past 2 seasons were great. A couple years ago I didn't think they could do much else to keep me interested ... AND then they brought in those oscillating cans. I thought there were awesome marvels of tech.

While the season finale was disappointing, you gotta remember reality can be exactly like that. And to me they accomplished their goal of keeping me hooked for another season.

I'm looking forward to the Big Dig if nothing else just to see it logistically executed.

There are 2,223 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/25?hl=investingdad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.