Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,264 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 hours ago by cdnpinbacon
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,264 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 46.
    #951 4 years ago

Premier on tonight! I'll be watching.

#952 4 years ago

The ship in the swamp was thought to have been something they came across last year. The anomaly is about 50' under the mud I think. I hate how they keep repeating stuff over and over, and dragging out every episode. But, I''l watch tonight.

#953 4 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

The ship in the swamp was thought to have been something they came across last year. The anomaly is about 50' under the mud I think. I hate how they keep repeating stuff over and over, and dragging out every episode. But, I''l watch tonight.

“Could it be..............the knights Templar?” I hear you. It’s so irritating But fuck! I can’t stop watching it
    I’m addicted

#954 4 years ago

I'm of the opinion that the opening premier was not that good; it really just repeated a lot of last year finds with the exception of the "masonry tool". I'll keep watching though as I read a couple articles while waiting on the new season that indicated they find something this season.

#955 4 years ago

I was thrilled with the pre show and show.
    Of course I know they will drag things out, but I know I personally dont care about a "treasure chest"

If you didnt watch, there is evidence of a stone paved dock in the swamp, a 200 foot anomaly in the swamp, under 50 feet they are doing core drills on, A dig started under Nolans Cross center Stone, A fine Hand held stone chisel found at end of Smiths Cove, along with a Silver veneer button, and extension of the Coffer dam 50 feet from the Slipway, and the discovery of the early 1800s mine site, which helps in mapping whats next by the money pit.
    They also identified a heavy iron stone breaking tool, for tunneling or rock breaking.
    Previews show additional Tunnels and it appears box drains found in cove.
    The swamp gets drained as well.

My negative.....3 years worth of shows....good or bad, I am baited now, and expect controlled episodes for ratings.....

#956 4 years ago

As much as I hate getting baited for some upcoming finds, I'll be watching. The show that was down right awful was the 2 guys running around with metal detectors. One would find an old bullet and start screaming like he found the Lost Arch.

#957 4 years ago

I thought the premier was great! Not nearly as much re-capping as normal, and very light on the wild theories. Most of the time was spent following all the various projects that they're doing now.

It was those first couple of seasons where there wasn't alot going on, so they had to fill the time slots with repetition and theories.... but now with the project at smiths cove, and the swamp, and the borehole, and the detecting etc. etc. they don't need near as much filler.

I am more convinced than ever that something happened there.... though I still believe that any treasure that may have been there was taken long ago by previous searchers who decided not to announce to the world what they found to avoid it being taxed/taken away.

#958 4 years ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

I thought the premier was great! Not nearly as much re-capping as normal, and very light on the wild theories. Most of the time was spent following all the various projects that they're doing now.
    It was those first couple of seasons where there wasn't alot going on, so they had to fill the time slots with repetition and theories.... but now with the project at smiths cove, and the swamp, and the borehole, and the detecting etc. etc. they don't need near as much filler.
    I am more convinced than ever that something happened there.... though I still believe that any treasure that may have been there was taken long ago by previous searchers who decided not to announce to the world what they found to avoid it being taxed/taken away.

The treasure is there.

#959 4 years ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

by previous searchers who decided not to announce to the world what they found to avoid it being taxed/taken away.

This is a strong possibility. I haven’t really thought about the possibility of modern searchers finding something and hiding it to avoid taxes. I just always assumed someone like Samuel Ball had found it years ago.

I too agree that the show is actually getting better each season. The first few seasons had way more “ridiculous” speculation. I’m ok with theory but man some of those were way out there. I thought the premier was very good. I’d love to see them find something major but I’m really just watching for the history at this point

#960 4 years ago

Would love for them to find something significant in the swamp. But they need to "drain the swamp".

#961 4 years ago

Yes same here I think they will drain it looking that way

1 week later
    #962 4 years ago

prediction...... all the metal objects they found at the "eye" of the swamp pyramid is a 1965 Volkswagen beetle

#963 4 years ago

The amount of material pre 1600, and in theory 1400s, is amazing!

One theory, I can think of, is the 1492 Expulsion of 200,000 Jews from Spain.
    Many went by boat, and some ended up south of US, in the Island of Granada that is known.
    Yes, within 1 day of Columbus, but thats another story.
    Who knows if a ship went north? They feared persecution, and could have buried the wealth they took.

#964 4 years ago

Very odd that no vegetation has grown in the area of "the eye" where they are discovering a metal ring.

#965 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The amount of material pre 1600, and in theory 1400s, is amazing!
    One theory, I can think of, is the 1492 Expulsion of 200,000 Jews from Spain.
    Many went by boat, and some ended up south of US, in the Island of Granada that is known.
    Yes, within 1 day of Columbus, but thats another story.
    Who knows if a ship went north? They feared persecution, and could have buried the wealth they took.

Or maybe people kept things in working order forever back then. And the tools were made well and lasted longer. So a 1400's tool was still used in the 1800's when it was dropped. Could it be?

#966 4 years ago

Could it be they didn't find jack shit this week. What a waste of time.

#967 4 years ago

Yeah this week seemed to be 100% filler, they could have easily edited most of that out.

#968 4 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Yeah this week seemed to be 100% filler, they could have easily edited most of that out.

LOL, how many episodes in the past several years have been like that? Too many in my book.

#969 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Or maybe people kept things in working order forever back then. And the tools were made well and lasted longer. So a 1400's tool was still used in the 1800's when it was dropped. Could it be?

Possible, but what do we have around from the 1600s being used?
    I dont think so....Hundred years seems about Max

#970 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Possible, but what do we have around from the 1600s being used?
    I dont think so....Hundred years seems about Max

Metal blacksmithing tools? Quite a few. And that's despite the fact that lots of old metal tools were melted down to be used during all the last centuries wars.

#971 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Metal blacksmithing tools? Quite a few. And that's despite the fact that lots of old metal tools were melted down to be used during all the last centuries wars.

Really? Any example of a 1600s tool in the US being used Today?

#972 4 years ago

Id suspect there are some anvils in use. Most of the other tools have probably outlived their usefulness

#973 4 years ago

very doubtful a 1400's blacksmithing tool would be used in the 1800's. I would think that it would have been melted down and forged in to a more modern tool.

#974 4 years ago

I've lost some interest in this season. 2 years ago I came across the show, and watched the entire day when they marathoned the show before the start of the season. Couldn't get enough. Last year, I sat and watch though all the episodes. This year, I forget that they've dvr'd, and I've just skimmed them.

Still interested in finding out what they find, but feel its all still the same as before.

#975 4 years ago

Last nights episode was once again a big swing and a miss. How many of those are we up to now?

#976 4 years ago

I was impressed.
    Finding pre pit wood, where there is drains, thats impressive.

The Brooch or rope ornament find, was a stunner, for dating.

I have only seen one coiled rope piece of jewelry similar. No leaf,
    but it was verbally dated by owner as revolutionary period.
    It didnt have a hinge pin, but was worn tied into a scarf.

Slow, yes, but they 3 years of episodes to fill, so my expectations are low.

A real neat excavation continues at Gobekli Tepe, if anyone is interested....oldest find of its kind.
    I ran into a small display at IAPPA, and it turned out a principal there was involved....we talked for an hour! Amazing Find!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #977 4 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Last nights episode was once again a big swing and a miss. How many of those are we up to now?

They sure have mastered making the upcoming episode look like it's going to be a must see. Then you tune and .......

1 week later
    #978 4 years ago

Oak Island Spoiler Alert!!! The big reveal in last nights episode was.... a chisel. Also a possible box drain, but tune in next week. I would love to see the check register for the expenses incurred since this show started.
    What I don't understand is, while they are metal detecting why aren't they using some sort of grid method. It shows them just wandering around and saying "let's try over here".

#979 4 years ago

What impresses me the most is the depth and complexity of the tunnels and box drains for the time they were built. It would be difficult in with today's tools and equipment, I cannot imagine what that took couple hundred years ago.

#980 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I was impressed.
    Finding pre pit wood, where there is drains, thats impressive.
    The Brooch or rope ornament find, was a stunner, for dating.
    I have only seen one coiled rope piece of jewelry similar. No leaf,
    but it was verbally dated by owner as revolutionary period.
    It didnt have a hinge pin, but was worn tied into a scarf.
    Slow, yes, but they 3 years of episodes to fill, so my expectations are low.
    A real neat excavation continues at Gobekli Tepe, if anyone is interested....oldest find of its kind.
    I ran into a small display at IAPPA, and it turned out a principal there was involved....we talked for an hour! Amazing Find![quoted image][quoted image]

The old stuff is really cool. I saw a city block excavated to the Roman streets in Turkey back in 1996. That was very cool. Also saw Cleopatra wall and Jacobs Well. The history there is amazing.

#981 4 years ago

Yeah, I'm hooked into this show too. Tuesday's night episode was less that exciting thou. Am enjoy the history lessons I'm getting from the show.
    I remember that issue of Reader's Digest that started this whole thing. My dad had a copy of it on top of the toilet tank when I was young.
    My brother made a fake treasure map with lemon juice and heated it up with a candle underneath to make it look old and I fell for it , that there was buried treasure on our 3 acres (but heck, I wanted to believe I was only 8). I didn't get as far as digging thou. lol

#982 4 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Yeah, I'm hooked into this show too. Tuesday's night episode was less that exciting thou. Am enjoy the history lessons I'm getting from the show.
    I remember that issue of Reader's Digest that started this whole thing. My dad had a copy of it on top of the toilet tank when I was young.
    My brother made a fake treasure map with lemon juice and heated it up with a candle underneath to make it look old and I fell for it , that there was buried treasure on our 3 acres (but heck, I wanted to believe I was only 8). I didn't get as far as digging thou. lol

Sounds just like my childhood!

#983 4 years ago

I love this show... but it does remind me of the scene from spaceballs...

BrptVtDCMAEZxmf (resized).jpgBrptVtDCMAEZxmf (resized).jpg
    #984 4 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Sounds like me and my brother growing always trying to out do each other.

#985 4 years ago

I jumped in at a weird time I think. Got invested in the whole “we need to get to the bottom of 10x” season. I got more and more excited the closer they got. They finally get a brave ass diver to just go for it and I felt like it was sort of a a bust. No evidence of a body and I think the treasure chest was just a rock. I have to get caught up to what they’re doing now.

#986 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

No evidence of a body and I think the treasure chest was just a rock. I have to get caught up to what they’re doing now.

Jimmy Hoffa

#987 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I jumped in at a weird time I think. Got invested in the whole “we need to get to the bottom of 10x” season. I got more and more excited the closer they got. They finally get a brave ass diver to just go for it and I felt like it was sort of a a bust. No evidence of a body and I think the treasure chest was just a rock. I have to get caught up to what they’re doing now.

That 10X dive was more than dangerous.pure insanity!..poor Dan Blankenship got to be 95 before he passed. At least his life work on 10X was finally revealed as a big bust (unfortunately). Can't believe he dove down there himself in his younger years and took those underwater photos.
    And one of the"pillars" they thought was in the "treasure room" was just a pipe that had fallen all the way down there. Anticipation makes excitement.

#988 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

No evidence of a body

Actually they did find bone which DNA showed from two different people from two different parts of the world, possibly used as slaves for the dig and was left there to die as it flooded.

3 weeks later
    #989 4 years ago

I would still want to see a balance sheet of total costs to date vs expected return on treasure. The show has become more interesting in recent episodes. Would love to see them pull something of value out.

#990 4 years ago

I'd like to know how much all those little explosions cost

#991 4 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

.... vs expected return on treasure. Would love to see them pull something of value out.

What really sucks is once they find the treasure, they can't keep it. It will be owned by Canada.

#992 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

What really sucks is once they find the treasure, they can't keep it. It will be owned by Canada.

Ya, that’s true; but usually the government will try to display the artifacts as close to their dig location as possible. So, the brothers have already set up a “museum” of sorts to display what’s been found, and their company name is something like oak island travel and tourism. I think the long game is to create a tourist trap on the island with a resort, wine from ricks vineyard and walking tours of the islands history.

#993 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I thought I originally heard that they were allowed to "split" the treasure with the government (or at least the value).

1 week later
    #994 4 years ago

14 feet to go!

#995 4 years ago

OK what am I missing here. They are trying to find a shaft 14ft away from the money pit so they can find the original money pit. But there's no way that shaft is still there. In 1965 Robert Dunfield dug up the entire Money Pit area 100' wide x 140' deep.

There would be nothing left of the original money pit or the other shaft.

What is the point?

#996 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

OK what am I missing here. They are trying to find a shaft 14ft away from the money pit so they can find the original money pit. But there's no way that shaft is still there. In 1965 Robert Dunfield dug up the entire Money Pit area 100' wide x 140' deep.
    There would be nothing left of the original money pit or the other shaft.
    What is the point?

Because it appears that Dunfield missed the location of the original money pit, and only dug up the first few feet of it.

https://imgur.com/T7DnfV3

#997 4 years ago

You'd think there'd be some ground level hidden access point? What if you wanted to go back and retrieve something...

#998 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

You'd think there'd be some ground level hidden access point? What if you wanted to go back and retrieve something...

Good point - they have mentioned there is supposed to be a "back door" somewhere on the island.

With that said, who says the original depositors want anyone to find the treasure? Or better yet, what if the money pit is a decoy?

#999 4 years ago

I read they have several years still under contract.
    This leads me to believe there is a lot more to the Archaeology than a "Treasure" found.
    Tomorrow they are back in the swamp, but finding shaft 2 the way they did was brilliant.

#1000 4 years ago

Let's make it 1,000 posts. Thanks for starting the thread @oldpinguy!

There are 2,264 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/20?hl=sinestro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.