(Topic ID: 206863)

OT: Oak Island....Are you watching?

By OLDPINGUY

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,266 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 46.
    #901 4 years ago

Over??? Nope this is just the beginning.

#902 4 years ago
    Quoted from Catch86:

Ok, on to Civil War Gold and WWII Gold.

Here's my take on the Civil War Gold:
    It's thought that the gold was shipped to Utah to be "Laundered" as gold from mines there. If that's true, wouldn't the gold have been sold off and long gone?
    At best they might find some traces of it and they'll find out what happened to the gold, but that's about it.

#903 4 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Here's my take on the Civil War Gold:
    It's thought that the gold was shipped to Utah to be "Laundered" as gold from mines there. If that's true, wouldn't the gold have been sold off and long gone?
    At best they might find some traces of it and they'll find out what happened to the gold, but that's about it.

That gold is long gone and melted down. They may prove their theory but wont find any gold.

#904 4 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

Over??? Nope this is just the beginning.

They actually said that exact quote at the end of the 'digging deeper' or whatever last week.

My personal thoughts are, as a businessman, that Marty and Rick and Craig are no longer paying ANYTHING for the work done on the Island. The History channel is likely footing the entire bill, and if they aren't, Marty & Rick need to get a new deal with somebody else.

I'm positive they are. Look @ the first season, they spent very little money relatively speaking, and did things like a dye test, dreamed of drilling at the money pit, dug with a shovel in Smith's Cove, explored the woods, etc.

Now they're sending down massive shafts several times a season. The show has good ratings, and i'm sure it's in the History channel's best interests to either pay or work a deal with some companies to come in and do the big work even if Marty doesn't want to fund it. That all probably happened about the start of the third season.

Maybe someone who's into production can chime in, but at the very minimum you've got expenses all over the place that the History channel (or whoever the production company is) are already paying for. Flying guests in to be on camera, having film crews in several places for weeks at a time, having after production costs like animation, etc.

About 2 weeks after Marty said "Well, we would drill another hole but I don't know if we want to spend that money right now" somebody at History likely said "We'll arrange it" and that was that. Marty & Rick probably get paid a token amount to do after production sit down work on camera, etc.... get all the major work funded, and receive significantly increased revenues from the tours which are absolutely booming and booked like a year in advance now.

I think this is pretty common with 'reality' t.v., if the production company wants something exciting to happen they just pay for it. I would if I were in their shoes. It makes for interesting T.V. for instance, if next year History pays the 300k or whatever it costs to dig up the swamp. If I were Marty, no way in hell I'd do that because it's likely nothing, but to the History channel it's a small price for another 30 episodes or whatever.

#905 4 years ago

In addition to Martys Money, He is also the Producer of the show, and receives a large sum from the Popularity
    of the show, that he funnels back in.
    With the Brothers, Craig Tester, Dan Blankenship, and Alan J. Kostrzew, they own 78% of the Island and the Tours,
    This is also a tidy sum, along with any other royalties and products that are available or develop,
    He is a pretty Good Business man, and Id say, he already has a nice ROI.

#906 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

He is a pretty Good Business man, and Id say, he already has a nice ROI.

I would believe that, most wealthy did not get that way throwing money down a bottomless hole!

#907 4 years ago

The show reached in this past season 54.6 million viewers, guaranteed History Channel is funding a major part of the doings on the island now in addition to the cast now being paid as well.

Ricks net worth went from 500K when first started to over 2 million now just short of 3. Well Marty already had a cash flow from his companies but even his worth has jumped a few million. History channel will keep paying riding the wave of Oak Islands popularity, if and when the ratings start to fall off.... treasure will be found at the point (if not already and leaving it on the back burner) and bring the series to a close. Till then, if it ain't broke don't mess with it motto.

#908 4 years ago

The show reached in this past season 54.6 million viewers, guaranteed History Channel is funding a major part of the doings on the island now in addition to the cast now being paid as well.
    Ricks net worth went from 500K when first started to over 2 million now just short of 3. Well Marty already had a cash flow from his companies but even his worth has jumped a few million. History channel will keep paying riding the wave of Oak Islands popularity, if and when the ratings start to fall off.... treasure will be found at the point (if not already and leaving it on the back burner) and bring the series to a close. Till then, if it ain't broke don't mess with it motto.

The info at 2 Million in Net Worth, seems to be in error. Click the next few links on Google, and the sale of his Oil Co, and Net Worth of his Wind Turbine Company, and Winery. I think the 2 Million was pulled from somewhere regarding from only "Oak island Ventures".....Estimates are 40-100 Million in Net Worth.

#909 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The info at 2 Million in Net Worth, seems to be in error. Click the next few links on Google, and the sale of his Oil Co, and Net Worth of his Wind Turbine Company, and Winery. I think the 2 Million was pulled from somewhere regarding from only "Oak island Ventures".....Estimates are 40-100 Million in Net Worth.

That 2+ is Rick's net worth. I think Marty is 100+. I probably should have worded my comment a little better then I did lol.

#910 4 years ago

Gotcha...I read it wrong several times....Mybad...sorry.

#911 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Gotcha...I read it wrong several times....Mybad...sorry.

Nah it was my Brooklynese accent lol.

#912 4 years ago

Hey! Im from Brooklyn! CityLine!

#913 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Why I have basic cable, 100+ channels, I can always just turn to something else! My radio has a dial too, I don't just listen to ONE station.

Sadly there is not much on 100 channels, I actually find our local Radio talk fun

1 month later
    #914 4 years ago

This popped up in my Facebook feed, and Oak Island was the first thing I thought of. This would solve a lot!

https://www.facebook.com/interestingengineering/videos/402481800341117/

#915 4 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Sadly there is not much on 100 channels, I actually find our local Radio talk fun

Most of the time I have TV on with the sound off and I listen to the radio or play CD's

1 month later
    #916 4 years ago

My co-worker just came in today and said that his son in law went on vacation to oak island. He was able to meet Rick and get a picture.

He was only allowed so far onto the island because they were filming the show.

New season in the fall, probably.

#917 4 years ago

I love the show and what they are doing, but the announcer just drives my wife and I crazy!

#918 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I love the show and what they are doing, but the announcer just drives my wife and I crazy!

"Could it be...?"

#919 4 years ago

A bagatelle game? On Oak Island? Could it have been brought here from France by the Knights Templar?

#920 4 years ago

Re theme a Gilligans?

Bore Hole Multiball?

3 weeks later
    #921 4 years ago

Is this hurricane near Oak Island? Might wash out the barrier?

#922 4 years ago

It’s right in line. Oak island is a couple hours south of my parents new place. I talked with my mom a couple hours ago and they’re getting a pretty good storm rolling through. Lost hydro but no downed trees on their property yet.

1 week later
    #923 4 years ago

So the show comes back in a couple weeks. Rumor is they find a ship.
    Only thing for sure, is that History Channel ordered 36 new shows!

I think its time for more annoying announcements!

#924 4 years ago

I'm through. Every time I go back and watch this show and see how ridiculous it is I feel like a fool. They are never going to find shit.

#925 4 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

I'm through. Every time I go back and watch this show and see how ridiculous it is I feel like a fool. They are never going to find shit.

Well.........bye!

#926 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Well.........bye!

Curly Bill Brocious approved.

#927 4 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

They are never going to find shit.

...and yet here I thought they already did. Not a large quantity / stash of pirate style treasure but with no doubt artifacts and coins dating way back showing there was some activity as thought in the legends.

#928 4 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

I'm through.

That's how I feel. But I can't help it. I have to watch. However, I only watch it DVR'd. I fast forward through all of the repeated, over and over back story stuff. Could it be????...blah blah blah. Everytime I hear that I want to smash something. But it doesn't bother me. No really...

#929 4 years ago
    Quoted from Catch86:

That's how I feel. But I can't help it. I have to watch. However, I only watch it DVR'd. I fast forward through all of the repeated, over and over back story stuff. Could it be????...blah blah blah. Everytime I hear that I want to smash something. But it doesn't bother me. No really...

People keep watching the show so it must be good business for the brothers who get paid for this . I think they should just dig a nice huge hole right in the money pit and see what they find. As many holes on that island that there are they might as well. The announcer really makes me cringe.

#930 4 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

People keep watching the show so it must be good business for the brothers who get paid for this . I think they should just dig a nice huge hole right in the money pit and see what they find. As many holes on that island that there are they might as well. The announcer really makes me cringe.

Oak Island is one of the top rated cable TV shows which equate to big money. So IMHO even if they do or already did find something of significance The History Channel will continue to ride that gravy train until the ratings start to fall off then wrap it up with their payoff findings. In the meantime more bucks means less funding THC has to put out for their digs. Still fun to watch and learn some history in the process.

#931 4 years ago

THC has to put out for their digs. Still fun to watch and learn some history in the process.

THC? Is that a Freudian slip?

#932 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

So the show comes back in a couple weeks. Rumor is they find a ship.
    Only thing for sure, is that History Channel ordered 36 new shows!
    I think its time for more annoying announcements!

Can't believe it starts back up already - it means that snow will be flying here in Minnesota soon. Uggggh.

It looks like November 5th is the premier.

#933 4 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

THC? Is that a Freudian slip?

THC - The History Channel, not to be confused with Tetrahydrocannabinol lol

#934 4 years ago

THC - The History Channel, not to be confused with Tetrahydrocannabinol lol

Can't get them mixed up, one you forget and one you definitely don't.

2 weeks later
    #935 4 years ago

Us locals have not heard any news. So likely not much going on this season. Milk it some more!

#937 4 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Us locals have not heard any news. So likely not much going on this season. Milk it some more!

Local, meaning you live on the island and can look outside your window and see the brothers digging?

If not, your insight into what has happened is the same as a guy living in Chile.

#938 4 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Could it be? Seawitch inserts on oak island?

#939 4 years ago

Sorry no top secret local insight, but....
    I live about 5 miles from Oak Island and the only news I heard lately was from one of my customers that told me one of the crew from the show wrecked his mustang on my customers front yard last week. Apparently the guys were racing to work through a stretch of road called the "S turns" and he lost control.

Just a bit of info that is probably not on the show, but nothing to do with treasure.

#940 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal-911:

Apparently the guys were racing to work through a stretch of road called the "S turns" and he lost control.
    Just a bit of info that is probably not on the show, but nothing to do with treasure.

Maybe it was a treasured Mustang.

#941 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Maybe it was a treasured Mustang.

Perhaps ridden by one of the Knights Templar.

#942 4 years ago

A treasured mustang? Ridden by one of the knights Templar? Could it be..........

Man, that narrator drives me nuts

#943 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Man, that narrator drives me nuts

just like the one from "Ancient Aliens"

#944 4 years ago

Watching a new episode of Expedition Unknown tonight and Gary the metal detector guy is on this show. Turns out he's a very successful treasure hunter in his own right down in Florida. He's found lots of Bobby Dazzlers.

#945 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Watching a new episode of Expedition Unknown tonight and Gary the metal detector guy is on this show. Turns out he's a very successful treasure hunter in his own right down in Florida. He's found lots of Bobby Dazzlers.

Gary Drayton shares that he uses a Minelab CTX 3030.
    My uncle uses this on the beaches and parks in Florida.
    He looks for current, lost Jewelry.
    On average, 1-2 days a week, on and off, he scores $35K-$50K a year...not bad.

#946 4 years ago

No I am not local, but in the capital near by. There is still no major news at this time. Here is the real GOLD to be found in Nova Scotia!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/bilcon-443-million-denied-ns-quarry-1.4645199

#947 4 years ago

I don't need to watch anymore. I just come here to see if they found the treasure or not. Nope. See you in about 5 more pages of threads.

#948 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

If not, your insight into what has happened is the same as a guy living in Chile.

I like reading this thread once in a while for a laugh though I have only been able to stomach two episodes of this show in its entire run. Interesting that people might actually think that if something truly significant was found that the show producers would keep it totally secret and not purposely leak some information. News of a finding leaking to locals would certainly lead to ratings going through the roof with new viewers instead of just the old faithful viewers.

#949 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I like reading this thread once in a while for a laugh though I have only been able to stomach two episodes of this show in its entire run. Interesting that people might actually think that if something truly significant was found that the show producers would keep it totally secret and not purposely leak some information. News of a finding leaking to locals would certainly lead to ratings going through the roof with new viewers instead of just the old faithful viewers.

I tend to agree; however, I do see articles online leading one to believe they have found something but, not on TV or national news so it could be just as you say, a ratings ploy.

1 week later
    #950 4 years ago

I am hearing some reports about a ship sized anomaly in the swamp area they may be going after. I don't follow the show so I don't know if they have hit on this before?

There are 2,266 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/19?hl=rascal-911 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.