Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,259 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 hours ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 46.
    #851 5 years ago

I thought there was only 3ish episodes left

#852 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Every show starts with the mention of the curse and how 7 must die. I have never, in the all the seasons of the show, heard any details about this curse. You would think there would be a story behind it?

I thought it was something made up for the show, but they did some sort of extra show about a month ago and showed that yes, various accounts from 1967 or so mentioned the curse.

They've found bones of several people on the island though that don't count as one of the 7, so even by their own legend they're way over 7, lol.

On the same show, they also mentioned that the guy who did all the surveying, Nolan, refused to spend a night on the island even though he owned that house above the swamp! Said he was superstitious as hell.

#853 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I remember reading about Dan Blankenship 41 years ago when I first got interested in Oak Island, and for the first time since then, I did not care if they found anything after his passing. I wanted him to have validation after all those years, but he will never get to be there when, and if, any treasure is found. I know that his past work was so valuable, and if anything is found, his participation in the hunt played a big part in recovering the treasure. At least all the things that they have found so far proves that something was done on the island in the past, so his work in trying to solve the mystery has not been in vain. Still, I can't help but think it would be a bittersweet moment if they do recover something, because he won't be there to see it. His death really bothered me a lot.
    After watching last nights episode its hard not to notice how many people are actually involved in this. There is so much effort and work going into it. My mood started to change, and for everyone involved I hope that they do find something. My interest in Oak Island has always had ups and downs. Now its time for an up. I hope that I can see the day when something is pulled from the ground. I would settle for a single gold coin. Everyone is waiting for that "A-ha" moment, and I think its long overdue. The only problem with that is if something is found, it will become fact and then the whole mystery and intrigue will start to fade away.

I feel as if they've completely underutilized Dan's mind, this guy knows more about the Island and everything that has happened on it, than anybody ever has. He was without a doubt the foremost expert on it, not only from the 50 years he was there but also the stories he heard from all the people that came before him, and all the researchers he's ran into over the years with stories and theories and books and research.

Each episode, if I were a producer would have been sitting down with Dan and discussing something, then showing video of what was found and what to do next, etc.

They never even fully explained why he wanted to do 10X, instead of the Money Pit. He clearly never thought 10X WAS the money pit, so why did he spend so much time on it?

He was a huge wealth of knowledge and now all that's buried. Very sad, but that's how life is!

#854 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Really surprised about how quickly they showed what was at the bottom of the new hole they dug. They showed the choosing of the location, and pulling stuff out all in one episode instead of 3. Hope that's a good sign meaning that they have so much good stuff to show that they now have to cram it all in instead of spreading it out.

They may have decided not to renew or something, because yes everything is being shown at a much faster pace. I mean they found what they claim may be the 90 foot stone and only spent about 10 minutes on it, then moved on! They're finding crap all over Smith's Cove and just move on. Pretty wild.

#855 5 years ago
    Quoted from MRG:

New bore hole showing progress until the crane operator strike....

And they even had a halfway decent theory for why to dig there. As soon as they showed the guy sitting there I thought "Oh boy, another Quack" but it actually was pretty straightfoward, logical, and interesting. According to the narrator they started sending down a 5 foot hole the next morning, so they must have thought it was a good lead too.

#856 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

The more I watch this, and the amount of time and energy I know it probably takes to do everything they do, they more I think, "thank god I'm not the one doing all that."
    Like the whole coffer dam, and digging up the crane platform. And also mapping out everything they find in smiths cove. Glad we get the Cliff Notes version. It'd be exhausting. I'm not one for repetitive tasks. So I know I'd never be able to be a hammer grab operator.

I've got a book that details all the various digs over the years, so I skimmed through it to see what has happened in Smith's Cove. Of course the guys have all this information and more, but there has been so much work out there I'm confident they're just finding searcher stuff from the 1860's-1930's.

They found the box drains (supposedly) in 1850, they tried to plug them with clay. In the late 1860's they tried to dig a pit 50 feet in or so to bisect the flood tunnel, never found it but at 80 feet or so the hole flooded.

Then they started dynamiting stuff. By the 1930's they were using dynamite in several holes drilled across the beach looking for the flood tunnel. They then started theorizing there are other bypass tunnels that go around and still connect with the money pit. By that time they had lost the original money pit, though and still aren't sure where it is.

There are 3 different companies, and 3 different accounts of finding the box drains, though. One company found them, 16 years later or so another company followed them 30 or 40 feet up the beach and later another company was still following the remnants of them towards wherever they were supposed to converge.

I'm pretty skeptical about the whole thing but it's interesting that three different sets of people claimed they did see the box drain setup. You'd think if it was a hoax it would be confined to one time period...

#857 5 years ago

I'm kind of surprised they just don't start digging out the 'hole site' (assuming they get permits) like they did at the beach instead of sinking a bunch of bore holes. Obviously not trying to go down +100 feet, but to see what they uncover maybe 10-20' feet down. But if they did, it would make it hard to bring in the boring machine after the fact, so maybe that's the reason.

#858 5 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

I thought there was only 3ish episodes left

You're right. Originally they listed this season as having 30 episodes, but now they are saying only 22. Makes sense, seeing how late into the season the latest episode was.

#859 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

You're right. Originally they listed this season as having 30 episodes, but now they are saying only 22. Makes sense, seeing how late into the season the latest episode was.

Maybe counted the "Digging Deeper" episodes?

#860 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Maybe counted the "Digging Deeper" episodes?

And let's not forget the "supernatural" episode! LOL!

#861 5 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

there has been so much work out there I'm confident they're just finding searcher stuff from the 1860's-1930's.

Correct. The photos I've attached were taken in the tunnels dug by the Halifax Company on the island in the 1860s. The B&W photo (1963) is from Lee Lamb's book. The color photo is Bobby Restall in the tunnel (same tunnel?) ca. 1959-60. The wooden supports look awfully familiar, don't they?

I suspect that most of what they are digging up around the 100 foot mark is the stuff that Dunfield pushed back into the hole after he was done. For those of you who don't know, Dunfield dug the entire area to a depth of around 100 feet. A massive pit. Photo attached. You can see the exposed shaft left of center in the photo-- I think this is the shaft constructed by Gilbert Hedden in the 1930s. You can also see the remains of the collapsed Chappell shaft on the right (and a more recent photo of the remains of that shaft). The H8 shaft from last season was reportedly dug in between these two shafts.

Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I'm pretty skeptical about the whole thing but it's interesting that three different sets of people claimed they did see the box drain setup. You'd think if it was a hoax it would be confined to one time period...

Those were probably blown up by Dunfield or destroyed by the Restalls. There are some pretty decent photos on the Oak Island Compendium site. I suspect that they weren't "drains" like we are expecting, but rather the evidence points to them being trenches packed with organic material (coconut fiber, eelgrass, etc.) to act as a filter so the trench didn't fill in with sand. The question is, what purpose did they serve? I've thought that the salt works theory is probably the most likely.

oak-island-ms (resized).pngoak-island-ms (resized).pngrestall (resized).jpgrestall (resized).jpgdunfield (resized).jpgdunfield (resized).jpgchappel shaft (resized).jpgchappel shaft (resized).jpg
    #862 5 years ago

I hope they strike oil, that would be fun!

#863 5 years ago

At least that would help fund some of the search.

#864 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Wikipedia had 30 episodes listed earlier this year, but now its changed to 22 episodes. But in past years they've only released the synopsis a week or two before air date. So they might still have 30 episodes coming

#865 5 years ago

If they have 30 episodes i would think they would have found something, but it being so close to the end of the year, and a crane operator strike that seems doubtful. Is the strike over?

#866 5 years ago

Lets just solve this once and for all. Season 7. Only 2 episodes. First one shows them cutting down all the trees to get this thing from wherever it's at to Oak Island. And the second show is them turning it on, getting a few revolutions out of the blade, and boom, already at bedrock in the entire island. Done. Jack will find whatever the spoils have with his garden hose.

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 12.22.50 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-04-04 at 12.22.50 PM (resized).png
    #867 5 years ago

Is that thing for real? Looks like something from a Sci Fi movie.

#868 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kolchak357:

Is that thing for real? Looks like something from a Sci Fi movie.

It's real:

There are several of these tipe of mining machines. Bagger 293 is the largest one.

#869 5 years ago

I remember seeing a show about it on Modern Marvels or something like that. It's insane the amount of earth it can move.

#870 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I remember seeing a show about it on Modern Marvels or something like that. It's insane the amount of earth it can move.

They also did a segment on an abandoned similar machine (Bagger 288) on "What on Earth" on the Science Channel. I tried to find a like to it.

#871 5 years ago

That is a beautiful monster.

#872 5 years ago

time to pack up and call it a day... finally!

3 weeks later
    #873 4 years ago

Season Finale! They Drained the Swamp and Found a Wall!

#874 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Season Finale! They Drained the Swamp and Found a Wall!

I heard the new season starts next week.

#875 4 years ago

Finding out that the main structures of Smith's Grove were pre-searcher was the biggest find yet on this show, IMO.

#876 4 years ago

Stupid Sling. It didn't record because it was called "Digging Deeper." So I caught the last 1/2 hour. Didn't seem like I missed a whole lot at least. No results from the swamp, and I'm guessing the strike was still going on.

But at least we now have the Civil War gold one now. And I've got into the WWII treasure one too. All interesting stuff.

#877 4 years ago

So I have been binge watching this past week or so after surgery and they have found some interesting stuff. The history behind a lot of it fascinating to say the least, a lot of the theories fit well with the puzzle and some are a little out there but who knows where this will go.

The one thing I do take away from this show is that you really get a sense for Ricks personality and I honestly believe he genuinely cares not only about the research and the lost treasure but about all the people in general from past to present. On several occasions he really have become a bit emotional when he met with Lee Lamb and Bobby's logs, the time capsule deposit, when Fred Nolan past and when Drake had past. I could only imagine how he'll be when they open up next season with Dan's passing. Rick is the type of guy I love to sit and have a few drinks with and chat away on history.

#878 4 years ago

Next week they are going to show swamp results and talk about Dan.

#879 4 years ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Next week they are going to show swamp results and talk about Dan.

That was the season final. There are no more episodes.

#880 4 years ago

Local expert says next year is big!

#881 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

That was the season final. There are no more episodes.

They showed a clip from the new show next Tuesday on the curse of civil war gold. Part of digging deeper.

#882 4 years ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

They showed a clip from the new show next Tuesday on the curse of civil war gold. Part of digging deeper.

That's what I thought s too.

#883 4 years ago

Google it! the curse of oak island: digging deeper season 6 episode 29

#884 4 years ago

Wasnt that on already? I know it says may 7th....Its the Pine/Conifer Stone....

#885 4 years ago

Told ya! New episode tonight.

#886 4 years ago

Shit missed it

#887 4 years ago

They had a decent tribute to Dan Blankenship last night. I am glad that they did something in remembrance of him.

#888 4 years ago

So they must be a good month into filming the next season considering it’s May. I always find it interesting to hear what the people in Halifax have to say ie, any new news leaking out.

#889 4 years ago

I missed it last night. What was the big announcement that they were hinting at?

#890 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I missed it last night. What was the big announcement that they were hinting at?

Echo results in swamp and a new season

#891 4 years ago

I didn't watch it, but caught like 2 minutes of them talking around a table. The way they sounded, it sounded like they were going to announce that this was the end of the search. They we talking about all the stuff they found, and that it had been a good run, and that Marty's son is picking up with the lost civil war gold. Like "You won't be watching us find any Oak Island treasure, but you can now watch us look for civil war gold."

Also that WWII treasure show has been interesting, and looks like if you haven't been watching, next weeks is the one to watch. The seasons end.

#892 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

They found a Large anomaly in the swamp, couple meters deep, that could be a ship, and at the higher end, what appears to be a shaft or tunnel.

#893 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I didn't watch it, but caught like 2 minutes of them talking around a table. The way they sounded, it sounded like they were going to announce that this was the end of the search. They we talking about all the stuff they found, and that it had been a good run, and that Marty's son is picking up with the lost civil war gold. Like "You won't be watching us find any Oak Island treasure, but you can now watch us look for civil war gold."
    Also that WWII treasure show has been interesting, and looks like if you haven't been watching, next weeks is the one to watch. The seasons end.

That was the end of the last week's episode. It did kinda sound like that, but Rick wanted to keep going.

Next season is happening.

#894 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

The way they sounded, it sounded like they were going to announce that this was the end of the search. They we talking about all the stuff they found, and that it had been a good run, and that Marty's son is picking up with the lost civil war gold.

This discussion happens on the last episode, every year. Marty and Craig (and I'm sure the History Channel pitches in), finance the whole operation. At the end of the day, Marty has to make an unemotional decision on whether they cut their losses or keep going. Everyone else on the show has little to no stake - which is why everyone else votes to keep moving forward.

Two reasons why this show will continue:

1. This show is currently History Channel's #1 series by a landslide. They won't let it end until clues dry up, evidence says there isn't much there, or Marty and/or Craig pull financing.

2. Too much evidence and unfinished work is out there to quit at the moment. They still need to continue to work their way back from Smith's Cove, investigate the swamp, and finish digging their hole (because of the strike).

#895 4 years ago

Actually last episode Marty is quite eager to return to the swamp and dig now knowing there is a very suspicious anomaly in there. So much so that they even pushed aside and did even mention the possible tunnel anomaly from the Swamp high lands to the money pit again. It's getting very interesting for sure.

#896 4 years ago

Thank God it’s Over. Now on to another show based on tireless searches where they’ll find no treasure.... flush, repeat ad nauseum.

#897 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Thank God it’s Over. Now on to another show based on tireless searches where they’ll find no treasure.... flush, repeat ad nauseum.

Perhaps these shows arent worth your time?

#898 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Perhaps these shows arent worth your time?

That's too obvious.

#899 4 years ago

Ok, on to Civil War Gold and WWII Gold.

#900 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Thank God it’s Over. Now on to another show based on tireless searches where they’ll find no treasure

Why I have basic cable, 100+ channels, I can always just turn to something else! My radio has a dial too, I don't just listen to ONE station.

There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.