1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 842 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by Sinestro
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 35 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

oakisland4 (resized).jpg
    53823437_10157126968362679_5221332441133744128_nDB (resized).jpg
    Oak Island (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    drop.gif
    oak island (resized).jpg
    nt2 (resized).jpg
    nt (resized).jpg
    20181203_135820 (002) (resized).jpg
    93DCCDB8-DBCA-4F3A-80F3-A6433B1451C9 (resized).jpeg
    231F1EDB-7E6C-49C7-AB76-ACAF7423FAF7 (resized).png
    D5AA8FF6-C57E-4974-A878-5AFD299D1BC1 (resized).png
    i-see-you-have-a-perfectly-resonable-argument-youre-wrong-its-aliens (resized).jpg
    B6E137E8-735A-4E86-BB72-E1D8EF4300D0 (resized).jpeg
    C443D8CA-A915-4600-8913-563B451D25DA (resized).jpeg
    FB7A637E-A543-4362-B71B-4E0E2B8F030A (resized).jpeg

There are 842 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 17.
    #801 15 days ago

To me this season has been pretty good (maybe the best season?) because they're finding historical stuff that is from other searchers. I don't believe they'll ever find anything valuable but I like how they're focusing more on re-finding and re examining things that may or may not have been found in the past.

A good example of course is all the stuff out in the cove, that's very interesting.... they seem to be saying that Chappell may have done it, and Marty made a great point, asking why they would spend so much time and effort in the cove if they HADN'T found the box drains.

I think when you take a lot of the production and editing away, both of the brothers are fairly skeptical of all of it, but have an open mind which is pretty much how I see it. I don't really believe the box drain story, but they are finding a ton of stuff in the cove suggesting that at least someone, at sometime far in the past, believed the box drain story.

To me this stuff is much, much more interesting than all of the cockamamie ideas people dream up from the Templar's, etc. I think they should focus on previous searchers, some may have been frauds but you may be able to figure some things out by looking where other searchers stopped because they ran out of money. I don't think the brothers are going to run out of money with the History channel behind them....

#802 14 days ago

I just have such a hard time believing some of the stuff like the box drains.

So the pit they could dig, dump the treasure, fill it back in, and your done 2-3 weeks tops with a crew of 3-4 people.... I can believe that. quick.... in and out, done.

to create the box drains would have taken months, and dozens of people. they would have to set up an encampment there, excavated half the island down to below sea level. they would need stone masons, and designed some sort of trigger mechanism that kept everything water tight, all just to make a booby trap? It just doesn't make sense.

#803 14 days ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

I just have such a hard time believing some of the stuff like the box drains.
    So the pit they could dig, dump the treasure, fill it back in, and your done 2-3 weeks tops with a crew of 3-4 people.... I can believe that. quick.... in and out, done.
    to create the box drains would have taken months, and dozens of people. they would have to set up an encampment there, excavated half the island down to below sea level. they would need stone masons, and designed some sort of trigger mechanism that kept everything water tight, all just to make a booby trap? It just doesn't make sense.

Stuff like that has been done before....

#804 13 days ago

On last night's episode when they found that metal bucket I about died laughing. "Yup, we think this is original work from the Sixteen Hundre..... what? That says Ace hardware!"

#805 13 days ago

An underwater triangular shadow?!!? Could it be pointing towards the money pit???

Did I miss anything at the end? I fell asleep right when they thought they found red dye coming out of the rocks. Anything happen after that?

#806 13 days ago

I'm going to go back and look at the tape to confirm but, did anyone else see a big pipe (like the size of a house main) coming out of the same area of the concrete wall that has the small pipes in it they discovered?

#807 13 days ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

An underwater triangular shadow?!!? Could it be pointing towards the money pit???
    Did I miss anything at the end? I fell asleep right when they thought they found red dye coming out of the rocks. Anything happen after that?

Yes! They tested it, and it came back POSITIVE! Then when they tested it again, the concentration.....WAS EVEN MORE!

#808 13 days ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I'm going to go back and look at the tape to confirm but, did anyone else see a big pipe (like the size of a house main) coming out of the same area of the concrete wall that has the small pipes in it they discovered?

Saw that. I didn't bother going back to look. My quick assumption was that it was a wooden log from the dock, or maybe brought in to brace the wall.

#809 12 days ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Yes! They tested it, and it came back POSITIVE! Then when they tested it again, the concentration.....WAS EVEN MORE!

Yeah that seemed unscientific as hell to me, they should have fully explained all that so jerks like me wouldn't be sitting here thinking "Uh.... I still don't believe it."

Couldn't they test some other water to show that it's not in that water, then test that water again? They said the damn sample (which was clearly very red) was a 9 then when they tested the muddy water they said had the dye in it... it was like a 16 or 19.

Come on man. We're all suspicious anyways then they try to push some crap like that on us.

=------------------------------

I'm still pissed about the '90 foot stone' thing. I like the idea that the stone they 'found' is actually the one that was supposedly at the book store... and that maybe it never even had any other marks on it, all that makes sense to me.... what DOESN'T make sense to me is how they showed video of them looking around (where they'd already looked before) and there it is! A dusty stone sitting on a pallet in the corner, directly under the bookstore for the last 100 years or whatever. Either that whole part was staged, or the entire stone is a fake they've recreated for the show. If they'd just come out and say where they really got it from I'd be more willing to agree it's legit.

There is an old story that the stone was at a bookstore, and the son of the owner said he saw it often when he was a kid and it was smooth, but someone had scratched "JM" onto it. On the show, they find a stone that's the correct size, but has L.N. carved on it.

to me, this actually makes a lot of sense, if they were going to fake it surely they would have carved JM in it.

so the history is, in 1803 supposedly it was found, in 1862 it's mentioned in a letter. So the 'story' at least existed in 1862 for sure, although it could obviously have been a hoax. Guy writes a letter saying it's in the fireplace of the house on the island and everybody can see it. in 1911 Captain H L Bowdain goes to the bookstore the stone is supposedly now in, and says there's nothing carved on it except some scratches the employees scratched in it... but in his opinion it never had a code inscribed on it and it hadn't been 'beaten smooth' by a leather workers hammer.

so the theory is, the stone they have on the show is the same actual stone that Bowdain actually saw in 1911, but the son of the store owner, a few years later when he wrote his account got the initials wrong. To me, that would be fascinating... but they're so damn intent on saying it had a code on it they won't show or talk about the stone anymore since it clearly doesnt' have a code inscribed on it and likely never did.

#810 12 days ago

I quit watching this bogus show about 2 episodes in... there’s just so much other credible treasure hunt/associated finds and great history shows and books out there to be wasting time on this nonsense. The chance of them finding treasure in that locale is about the same as finding a pinball mother lode on the moon.

#811 12 days ago

"The Curse of Civil War Gold" starts up in a few weeks to waste more of your time! I wonder if the guy's broken hip healed ok...

#812 12 days ago

Marty seemed annoyed with everything the entire last episode.

#813 12 days ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Yeah he really did. Something must have been going on with production or some of his crew... probably a million things out there to get frustrated about.

#814 12 days ago
    Quoted from L8vid:

"The Curse of Civil War Gold" starts up in a few weeks to waste more of your time! I wonder if the guy's broken hip healed ok...

I really wanted to like that show but it's just too unbelievable, even worse than Oak Island... If there was a bunch of gold when Jefferson Davis was trying to hide somebody would have spent it or stole it or something shortly thereafter... the whole thing about it being in that lake was just completely dreamed up, there's no evidence or even an old story to back that up...

#815 11 days ago
    Quoted from Dono:

I quit watching this bogus show about 2 episodes in... there’s just so much other credible treasure hunt/associated finds and great history shows and books out there to be wasting time on this nonsense. The chance of them finding treasure in that locale is about the same as finding a pinball mother lode on the moon.

Tell me more of these moon pins you speak of

Could it be!, they come with pinball playing moon women?

#816 11 days ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Yeah that seemed unscientific as hell to me, they should have fully explained all that so jerks like me wouldn't be sitting here thinking "Uh.... I still don't believe it."
    Couldn't they test some other water to show that it's not in that water, then test that water again? They said the damn sample (which was clearly very red) was a 9 then when they tested the muddy water they said had the dye in it... it was like a 16 or 19.
    Come on man. We're all suspicious anyways then they try to push some crap like that on us.

Uh, no....the muddy water was not that high. It had a decimal point in there you're missing. It was not higher than the dye sample.

#817 11 days ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Probably because he saw Gary Drayton planting one of his "top pocket" finds

#818 11 days ago
    Quoted from jesperpark:

Probably because he saw Gary Drayton planting one of his "top pocket" finds

My whole thinking is, maybe Gary doesn't plant anything. I'm sure the brothers don't plant anything. Do we really trust television Producers to not plant anything though? I'm basically at the point where any artifact they find is useless to me because I think they're all staged. I like the history of the island the history of the previous searchers, and I like the layout of all the past work and hope they find some box drains or whatever... but if they find a piece of gold or whatever in the ground that is meaningless to me.

A friend of mine brought up a good point too, he said there have been so many tourists there over the centuries (we know the island was covered with tourists in the 1850's because a reporter wrote about it) hell ANYBODY could have planted ANYTHING. So the cross, the jewelry, the carved stones, all of that means nothing as far as i'm concerned....

#819 11 days ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Uh, no....the muddy water was not that high. It had a decimal point in there you're missing. It was not higher than the dye sample.

Go back and watch again. I just rewatched it. He tested the red dye and said "we're getting 9.689" then the guy said 'That'll be our base reference for fully saturated" then the other guy said "about 9.7". The other guy says "Anything that's 1 or above will be a positive indicator of the actual dye"

So they check the muddy water, and it says "11.98"

Then they redo it when Rick is there, and get 19.47. They remark that even though they can't see the dye, there's some concentration.

#820 9 days ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Go back and watch again. I just rewatched it. He tested the red dye and said "we're getting 9.689" then the guy said 'That'll be our base reference for fully saturated" then the other guy said "about 9.7". The other guy says "Anything that's 1 or above will be a positive indicator of the actual dye"
    So they check the muddy water, and it says "11.98"
    Then they redo it when Rick is there, and get 19.47. They remark that even though they can't see the dye, there's some concentration.

I re-watched it. You are correct, I was remembering the numbers wrong. However...

The initial sample wasn't pure red dye. It was a sample of water with the dye in it from the source bore hole. It seems unusual that it would be higher after going through the flood tunnel, but they are pumping pressure into the bore hole. It certainly isn't redder on the other end, but maybe that pressure is making a chemical found in the dye more concentrated when it comes out on the other end.

#821 5 days ago

For those watching the show, like myself. They should of done a series on old & active gold mining in Nova Scotia. It would make Gold Rush seem small. https://www.anacondamining.com/goldboro-project
    Now they say 1 million in reserve & they are spending $100 million on the project.
    http://novascotiagold.ca/theme/exploitation_de_lor-mining/districts_auriferes_actifs-active_gold_districts-eng.php

#822 5 days ago

Didn't catch it this week. What did I miss?

#823 4 days ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

You didn’t miss much. But next week looks exciting.

(So basically the same as ever week)

#824 4 days ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Not much. The things of interest in the water were just kelp covered rock. But I wonder if they showed us everything? Was pretty vague and they mentioned at the beginning that even touching things on the ocean floor were illegal, but then one of the last dives they showed one of the divers kicking up a bunch of sediment and looked like he was running his hand across it.

They decided to expose the entire wharf and then will remove it to see what's under it. And one thing I was wondering was if their own cofferdam cut through anything, and this past episode I believe that Laird guy said he could see the wharf continue past the dam during low-tide. It was briefly mentioned, and they never showed it.

#825 4 days ago

Next weeks teaser shows them pulling out a ton of stuff from the newest wellbore including more bone and a big piece of leather (like 10" square or something like that)

#826 4 days ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Not much. The things of interest in the water were just kelp covered rock. But I wonder if they showed us everything? Was pretty vague and they mentioned at the beginning that even touching things on the ocean floor were illegal, but then one of the last dives they showed one of the divers kicking up a bunch of sediment and looked like he was running his hand across it.
    They decided to expose the entire wharf and then will remove it to see what's under it. And one thing I was wondering was if their own cofferdam cut through anything, and this past episode I believe that Laird guy said he could see the wharf continue past the dam during low-tide. It was briefly mentioned, and they never showed it.

I was wondering before...what if what they are looking for is just outside the wall or to either side of it.

#827 1 day ago

Just read that Dan Blankenship dies last night at age 95.

#828 1 day ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

Just read that Dan Blankenship dies last night at age 95.

Sad news. 95 and not making new friends every morning is a good life. RIP. There will an episode on him for sure.

53823437_10157126968362679_5221332441133744128_nDB (resized).jpg
    (from face book)

#829 21 hours ago

The curse has been fulfilled, another searcher has passed on the island, now it’s time to find the treasure.

In reality it’s sad to see him pass, but he had a much longer life then many get. Im sure that he passed happily knowing that his life’s work didn’t go to waste, and that the brothers will find out the truth about the islands secrets. He’s been looking rough all season, so it’s not an unexpected passing.

#830 21 hours ago

I was hoping that they could find something soon for his sake. I was afraid that this day would come. I am so bummed out that if they actually find a treasure, he will not be around to see it. I sincerely hope there is some sort of afterlife, That way right now he can have all the answers he spent half his life looking to find.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

#831 20 hours ago

And he had a pretty sharp mind right up to his passing.

#832 19 hours ago

Dan had big balls to dive down borehole 10X 50 years ago. RIP

#833 19 hours ago

Every show starts with the mention of the curse and how 7 must die. I have never, in the all the seasons of the show, heard any details about this curse. You would think there would be a story behind it?

#834 18 hours ago

The curse only applies to people who die accidentally searching for the treasure.

There have been many searchers who have died of disease or old age. The number would be way past 7 if that counted.

#835 18 hours ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Every show starts with the mention of the curse and how 7 must die. I have never, in the all the seasons of the show, heard any details about this curse. You would think there would be a story behind it?

I remember Leonard Nimoy talking about the curse of 7 on "In Search Of.." when they covered Oak Island. It was my first introduction to the Oak Island mystery.

#836 18 hours ago

Where/when did the curse originate from? I need details!!

#837 18 hours ago

They talked about the origins of the seven must die curse during the last episode of Drilling Down. Dave Blankenship said they don't know where the curse story originated. The show researchers first found it mentioned in a 1967 article from True magazine that quoted an unnamed local woman as the source for the article.

#838 17 hours ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

They talked about the origins of the seven must die curse during the last episode of Drilling Down. Dave Blankenship said they don't know where the curse story originated. The show researches first found it mentioned in a 1967 article from True magazine that quoted an unnamed local woman as the source for the article.

Good memory on the date of the article. It would appear locals made up the legend after 6 people had already died. It's not like the "7 people" curse has been around since 1795.

oakisland4 (resized).jpg
    #839 15 hours ago

And without "The Curse" the show would be called

"Drilling holes on Oak Island".... probably wouldn't get as much following.

Though I hate how they have the spin-off "The Curse of Civil War Gold"... Does Marty only look for treasure if there is a curse on it... or the hunt really is the curse - since he spent 10's of millions of dollars to find a little lead cross.

#840 5 hours ago

For as much as I've ragged on this show (which recently has had about 5 min of new worthwhile material per episode)...tonight's episode was very interesting. Almost all new and some excellent finds. Very intriguing.

Won't mention any spoilers. Didn't even FF the DVR once, haven't done that in ages.

#841 5 hours ago

The large Oak timbers, and Large Leather piece got me.
    I am under the presumption of small pieces washing in through gaps, and a large leather piece, unless
    from searchers, is unusual with its size and could not wash in.
    The same with the large Oak section....Thats really unusual.
    Between the metal detection of large objects, mapping the swamp, and this hole, its extremely robust to exhaust
    as much leads as possible.
    The dig deeper episode shared a wall, I was never aware of, with the theory it was a ramp....hmmm...

#842 4 hours ago

Great episode tonight, and we're barely halfway through this extra long season.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6.00
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 25.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Lighting - Led
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    There are 842 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside