Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,264 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 hours ago by cdnpinbacon
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,264 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 46.
    #701 5 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

Poor Billy, he's just listed as a 'Heavy Equipment Operator'.

Which is not very nice.... He’s just ‘big boned’.

#702 5 years ago

I'm sorry but I keep hearing them say the runes they found were similar to the ones in the museum. WTF, not even close if you ask me. The runes shown in the museum *all* had one thing in common, each rune was composed of multiple segments which is typical in any runes I've ever seen Viking or not. What they found on Oak island consisted of three single vertical lines of various heights, follow by 2-3 runes that were composed of 2 segments only. I believe it is some form of language or number system but, totally unrelated to the runic language in the museum.

Metal detector Gary walked right up on a find, could be whats left of a bracelet or maybe an arm band.

#703 5 years ago

Romans invented concrete...……..only age would need to be worked to answer that one...… could it be we'll find out next week on Oak Island.

#704 5 years ago

I love how they forget to give the other possibilities of how the lead cross ended up there. How about a sailor fell off a boat with his family heirloom around his neck. His body floated up on the area and decomposed, leaving the cross where it ended up. Or a sailor had it around his neck and it got torn off in a fight or snagging some gear while moving it? I doubt it was part of any treasure and firmly believe the body washing up on the shore theory. Who knows how far away the ship he fell off of was...it could have been a big storm and he got washed off the deck.
    And nobody mentions the facts of nature. Whatever areas were open between the trees 400 years ago probably got filled in with new trees as the older ones died off. Any treasure that had fallen on the ground during transport probably is entangles in new tree roots that have grown since then. Not to mention the mulch from dead leaves and branches that have covered any precious items that may have been dropped. Hence...the jewelry items found under the rocks were not buried there. They had been dropped on the ground during transport 400 years ago and got buried under tree and leave mulch. So any buried treasure has obviously been removed and some was dropped during transport from its location to a waiting ship.
    The idea of the water pit traps is a pure nothingburger. All they will ever find underground is timbers left behind by previous searchers. Feeding and providing for slaves to construct such an elaborate system and trap would not have been feasible. And obviously the ships crew could not have stayed on the island long enough between the seasons to construct such a system.
    So I am in the group that records this interesting story and fast forwards through all the garbage to watch a 10 minute show too.

#705 5 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

The idea of the water pit traps is a pure nothingburger.

Wrong.

#706 5 years ago

I love how they forget to give the other possibilities of how the lead cross ended up there. How about a sailor fell off a boat with his family heirloom around his neck. His body floated up on the area and decomposed, leaving the cross where it ended up. Or a sailor had it around his neck and it got torn off in a fight or snagging some gear while moving it? I doubt it was part of any treasure and firmly believe the body washing up on the shore theory. Who knows how far away the ship he fell off of was...it could have been a big storm and he got washed off the deck.
    And nobody mentions the facts of nature. Whatever areas were open between the trees 400 years ago probably got filled in with new trees as the older ones died off. Any treasure that had fallen on the ground during transport probably is entangles in new tree roots that have grown since then. Not to mention the mulch from dead leaves and branches that have covered any precious items that may have been dropped. Hence...the jewelry items found under the rocks were not buried there. They had been dropped on the ground during transport 400 years ago and got buried under tree and leave mulch. So any buried treasure has obviously been removed and some was dropped during transport from its location to a waiting ship.
    The idea of the water pit traps is a pure nothingburger. All they will ever find underground is timbers left behind by previous searchers. Feeding and providing for slaves to construct such an elaborate system and trap would not have been feasible. And obviously the ships crew could not have stayed on the island long enough between the seasons to construct such a system.
    So I am in the group that records this interesting story and fast forwards through all the garbage to watch a 10 minute show too.

You seem fairly certain on something we all know nothing about. I like your theory, but I disagree that it’s the way things happened. I guess we’ll just have to keep watching.

#707 5 years ago

I can't comment on the flood tunnels because history is full of fantastic things done in the past by peoples that required an enormous amount of work (stone henge and Easter island come to mind), for what appears to be little to no return for the builders. I'm of the thought that the cove area was either where they built ships or repaired ships in antiquity for war or simply for exploration. I have no problem with thinking Vikings could have used this as a base to further explore the North American continent.

#708 5 years ago

I love how they forget to give the other possibilities of how the lead cross ended up there.

I agree. Dating the cross is one thing. Finding out when, or how it got on the island is another thing altogether. It could have been dropped there in modern times for all we know. We will never know if it was owned by a Templar, sailor, searcher, etc.

#709 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I'm sorry but I keep hearing them say the runes they found were similar to the ones in the museum. WTF, not even close if you ask me.

I agree. They were not even close. A possibility is that its not even a language, or written words. It could just be tally marks to keep a record of something.

#710 5 years ago

I wonder the source of that carved stone...Was it Ballast from overseas? Seems Odd that it looks more ornamental, then a written language.
    (BTW there is an entire exhibit in Museum with Hundreds of artifacts, with clearly written language, that no one can decipher...created and lost.
    All different)

#711 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I can't comment on the flood tunnels because history is full of fantastic things done in the past by peoples that required an enormous amount of work (stone henge and Easter island come to mind), for what appears to be little to no return for the builders.

A perfect example is the Great Pyramid of Giza. I find it hard to believe that all that was done for it to be just a burial tomb. I know that Pharaohs considered themselves gods, and having that much work done just to give them a final resting place is not out of the realm of possibility. The problem that I have with this is the time frame. It is said that it took 20 years to build the pyramid. Not likely. And as for a tomb, I doubt that the Pharaoh would live long enough to see it completed.

It would have to be planned out first which would take time. It was placed on the exact center of the continent, where there was an ideal bedrock base, aligned with the compass to within a few degrees. It has sunk less than an inch since its construction so they picked the right spot. Two and a half million blocks weighing between 2 and ten tons had to be quarried, cut, dressed, and moved down the Nile. Each stone had to be put in place without making a mistake, and ruining the next course of stones that had to be put in position. Some of the blocks had to be put in place at a height of 454 feet above the desert floor. Twenty years equals 7,300 days. That means that this had to be done with every stone, 342 times a day, every day round the clock without fail. This is not taking into account doing all the shafts, tunnels, chambers, polished and cut granite slabs, or the polished limestone covering. All without using oil lamps for internal illumination. Feeding the workers, maintaining tools, making ropes, or massive ramps, and anything else that would have been extremely time consuming. Not to mention time wasted for setbacks or mistakes. 342 stone blocks from start to finish, every day seems impossible.

If you got everyone on pinside together using ancient tools and techniques, how long do you think it would take them to cut out and move, a ten ton limestone block? Everything on the pyramid was done with pinpoint accuracy, and mathematically, its a masterpiece of ancient construction. I honestly believe that it was not done in 20 years. One of the biggest construction project undertakings on the planet, just for a tomb. Supposedly, the Pharaoh who was supposed to be buried there, does not have his name written anywhere on or in the structure, which seems strange even for Pharaoh with a huge ego. Lifespans back then were much shorter. I doubt the construction could have been done in one person's lifetime. An enormous amount of work for what seems like little return.

Just my long two cents.
    (I am bored at work.)

#712 5 years ago

The "20 years" of construction is a supposition....Maybe it took 30.
    Whats overlooked is without wealth accumulation through Currency...Egypt had none,
    Society Farmed/Livestock, had a Military, and Built.
    The Stones quarried and moved down the Nile werent Only and exclusively for Pyramids.
    Buildings, Temples, were being built as well, so a large flotilla of boats were constantly going back and forth,
    Thousands of workers at quarries, Thousands on site to build.
    What gets messed up in terms of time, is if you look at the "length" of Rulers reign, where known, takes on "X" years.
    All the Rulers, whose length of life was Not known, was defined in Chronology by Scalinger in the middle ages at 33 years....a filler.
    (and adamantly fought by Isaac Newton)
    This missing piece, distorts the BC Calendar, as well as the time it took to build, negating Tomb construction well Before
    a rulers death.
    By Scalingers Dating How could anything be built in a period longer than a rulers reign? Easy, they reigned longer than 33 years.

#713 5 years ago

It could've been left there by one of seven stranded castaways who went out for an afternoon three hour cruise.

#714 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The "20 years" of construction is a supposition....Maybe it took 30.
    Whats overlooked is without wealth accumulation through Currency...Egypt had none,
    Society Farmed/Livestock, had a Military, and Built.
    The Stones quarried and moved down the Nile werent Only and exclusively for Pyramids.
    Buildings, Temples, were being built as well, so a large flotilla of boats were constantly going back and forth,
    Thousands of workers at quarries, Thousands on site to build.
    What gets messed up in terms of time, is if you look at the "length" of Rulers reign, where known, takes on "X" years.
    All the Rulers, whose length of life was Not known, was defined in Chronology by Scalinger in the middle ages at 33 years....a filler.
    (and adamantly fought by Isaac Newton)
    This missing piece, distorts the BC Calendar, as well as the time it took to build, negating Tomb construction well Before
    a rulers death.
    By Scalingers Dating How could anything be built in a period longer than a rulers reign? Easy, they reigned longer than 33 years.

Everything that you say makes perfect sense, but 30, 40 or even 50 years to me is a stretch. Again, that is just my opinion.
    There are plenty of other sites around the world where intensive construction was done, sometimes in the most unlikely of places, so people are capable of enormous work for what seems like little return. Box drains would easily be feasible.

#715 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

It could've been left there by one of seven stranded castaways who went out for an afternoon three hour cruise.

Maybe, but I think the Professor would have found it, and used the cross, a coconut and Ginger's dress to fix the radio.

#716 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

A perfect example is the Great Pyramid of Giza. I find it hard to believe that all that was done for it to be just a burial tomb. I know that Pharaohs considered themselves gods, and having that much work done just to give them a final resting place is not out of the realm of possibility. The problem that I have with this is the time frame. It is said that it took 20 years to build the pyramid. Not likely. And as for a tomb, I doubt that the Pharaoh would live long enough to see it completed.

It would have to be planned out first which would take time. It was placed on the exact center of the continent, where there was an ideal bedrock base, aligned with the compass to within a few degrees. It has sunk less than an inch since its construction so they picked the right spot. Two and a half million blocks weighing between 2 and ten tons had to be quarried, cut, dressed, and moved down the Nile. Each stone had to be put in place without making a mistake, and ruining the next course of stones that had to be put in position. Some of the blocks had to be put in place at a height of 454 feet above the desert floor. Twenty years equals 7,300 days. That means that this had to be done with every stone, 342 times a day, every day round the clock without fail. This is not taking into account doing all the shafts, tunnels, chambers, polished and cut granite slabs, or the polished limestone covering. All without using oil lamps for internal illumination. Feeding the workers, maintaining tools, making ropes, or massive ramps, and anything else that would have been extremely time consuming. Not to mention time wasted for setbacks or mistakes. 342 stone blocks from start to finish, every day seems impossible.

If you got everyone on pinside together using ancient tools and techniques, how long do you think it would take them to cut out and move, a ten ton limestone block? Everything on the pyramid was done with pinpoint accuracy, and mathematically, its a masterpiece of ancient construction. I honestly believe that it was not done in 20 years. One of the biggest construction project undertakings on the planet, just for a tomb. Supposedly, the Pharaoh who was supposed to be buried there, does not have his name written anywhere on or in the structure, which seems strange even for Pharaoh with a huge ego. Lifespans back then were much shorter. I doubt the construction could have been done in one person's lifetime. An enormous amount of work for what seems like little return.

Just one word......Aliens!....just sayin'

#717 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Just one word......Aliens!....just sayin'

You know, now that you mention it.......

#718 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Everything that you say makes perfect sense, but 30, 40 or even 50 years to me is a stretch. Again, that is just my opinion.
    There are plenty of other sites around the world where intensive construction was done, sometimes in the most unlikely of places, so people are capable of enormous work for what seems like little return. Box drains would easily be feasible.

It's amazing what you can get accomplished when you use slavery and don't care if people die or not. (referencing the pyramids).

I think you also underestimate the ego of humans, especially ancient humans.

#719 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think you also underestimate the ego of humans, especially ancient humans.

I do. I have a tough time wrapping my head around the fact that some ancient humans held themselves in such high regard, willing to let people live and die just for them.

#720 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Perhaps thinking of the original, smaller Capitol building in DC took 33 years, and the Washington Monument 30 years, sans civil war.
    Notre Dame took 300 years!

#721 5 years ago

I just hope that when and if they do find something, Dan Blankenship is around to see it. I would be satisfied if they pulled a single gold coin out of the money pit. That would be enough for me. I would like the confirmation in my lifetime that something was buried on the island. I have been interested in the story for decades. I hope this group is getting close to finding something valuable, or of historic significance. I can only imagine what the original depositors would think if they knew the time, energy and resources that went into each and every aspect of searching for the treasure.

#722 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I do. I have a tough time wrapping my head around the fact that some ancient humans held themselves in such high regard, willing to let people live and die just for them.

I think what's missing at Oak Island is present at the pyramids. Evidence of the effort. There is clear evidence of the massive amount of people required to create the pyramids because entire city's were created for the workers, to feed them, bury them, etc.

What seems to be missing from Oak island's theory is that all of these tunnels and drains all hinge on some amount of human resources, yet very little of the surrounds points toward that kind of commitment. A button here or a peg there, just doens't line up with a large # of people there to do the kind of work they theorize was created.

That's not to say it didn't happen or it hasn't been found, only that the effort is based entirely on supposition.

At Giza the found remains of bread ovens and works for cooking that would support tens of thousands of workers at a single time and there were more than one of these. In terms of questioning the hubris to take on such an effort, is it really any different in scale to the numbers dedicated to any of the great wars. I'd estimate that the human and resource investment of WW2 is probably larger than that spend on the pyramids.

#723 5 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

What seems to be missing from Oak island's theory is that all of these tunnels and drains all hinge on some amount of human resources, yet very little of the surrounds points toward that kind of commitment.

I never really thought about this. Its not like they found a worker camp or anything along those lines. No broken or worn tool dump. There really is not much in the surrounding area to indicate that there was a big undertaking that went on.

#724 5 years ago

Anyone have SlingTV and having issues with it recording the series? Last night after the show started, I went to go watch it from the beginning, but Sling didn't record it. I searched ahead and saw they were replaying it around midnight and recorded that one.

#725 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Anyone have SlingTV and having issues with it recording the series? Last night after the show started, I went to go watch it from the beginning, but Sling didn't record it. I searched ahead and saw they were replaying it around midnight and recorded that one.

It was late coming on last night. Might have thrown it off. My Tivo wasn't recording it either....happened to notice and started it up manually.

#726 5 years ago

I'd be willing to bet that any treasure that was there was found by one of the earliest explorers of the island. They might find a few trinkets here or there that were dropped, but everything else is long gone.

The people who did find it, never reported it so that they could sell their "claim" to the next schmuck who thought there was still treasure in that empty hole

#727 5 years ago

The island is very close to the mainland. You could of had a camp off the island. Row a dory back & forth. If you watch the show you see how long the rock fill road is across the water. They even said how the local guys did this that found the money pit (use a row boat). Still nothing big on our news here. So they are still finding small stuff. If they find the mother lode, everyone will know.

#728 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Anyone have SlingTV and having issues with it recording

Sling is garbage to me right now, none of my recordings are happening, very frustrated including oak island.

#729 5 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Still nothing big on our news here. So they are still finding small stuff. If they find the mother lode, everyone will know.

A spoiler alert warning would have been nice.

#730 5 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

Sling is garbage to me right now, none of my recordings are happening, very frustrated including oak island.

Sidebar: Look into Philo. +43 decent cable channels, $16/month with no contract. It's that simple. Almost all the popular channels. Includes 'DVR' (i.e. really on demand once a show starts 'airing'). So if you tune in 10 minutes late - no big deal. You don't have to wait until later. Wasn't satisfied with Sling so I tried Philo and I'm completely happy w/it. No streaming issues. Never a buffering issue (I have 50meg/download, 25 meg/up). No - I'm not affiliated w/Philo.

For local OTA, I use Plex as a DVR. Wifey has a Tivio for OTA, but even that is so loaded up w/crap nowadays....seems like they lost their 'roots'.

#731 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Thank goodness I caught this in time.
    Stupid Dish Network had the name of the show wrong in the guide.
    It was listed as "The curse of Oak Island Digging Deeper".
    I only set my DVR to record "The Curse of Oak Island" new episodes, so I looked ahead and saw it was not going to record anything and manually changed it.
    Had to call my brother and have him do the same thing.
    Very frustrating.

#732 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

they didn't move anything there is more than enough "slop" in the star map to find big rocks in the "right" place in a rocky environment. The star map is just a fun tv diversion. IF they really did move rocks you would move large ones as they would be unlikely to be moved again. A pile of medium rocks is much easier to have accidentally scavenged, or naturally disrupted, over time.

Thats my point, you make a pile of small rocks if you are going to come back at some point, a few years and dig up what you marked. You move large ones if you want to mark something for decades. Did they really store something they wanted untouched for decades? If it was pirates, you would want to come back in a few years and grab your retirement gold.

Now they are throwing "vikings" around. add that to the list of romans, crusaders, knights templar, british, and pirates.

Anyone see those old pictures of the cove before? All of a sudden they start showing old pictures of what they found in the cove years ago and was covered up by the storm. No one ever mentioned drydock, or L-shaped structure before. Now they show pictures from 1930 excavation like they knew stuff was there all the time. Anyone else see the steel cable by the new structure? They ignored it completely and it was there plain as day.

I can see dry dock for repairing boats or a boat, that would figure with romans and/or vikings. But vikings wouldn't use roman numerals.

The system they are talking about must have taken a long time to build and a lot of manpower. Much more than a group of pirates hiding gold at this point.

trying to un-stick the original "vault" is crap, just dig the damn big holes all around the site where you first hit wood.

please dont date the "bracelet" they found or try and find its source mine.

#733 5 years ago

I am just curious what some of the opinions from you people who watch the show are about this. Lets just say for arguments sake, they actually found something like the ark of the covenant. Do you think something like that would be kept under wraps? Would the info of the find be released to the general public? Or would it end up in some government "Raiders of the Lost Ark" type warehouse? I wonder if the Canadian government would step in and if they would deliberate for a while at least, to decide the best course of action if such an item was found.

If they did start pulling something like pirate, templar, or viking treasure out of the ground, I can only imagine how much more security would be intensified on the island at that point. I think that info on a find of gold coins or similar type treasure, would be released instantly. If if was something like religious or historic artifacts, the news of it might not come out for a while, if at all, depending on what was found.

#734 5 years ago
    Quoted from jesster64:

please dont date the "bracelet" they found or try and find its source mine.

LOL. They probably will. They could stretch that out to fill almost an entire episode, or have an ongoing thing about it on multiple episodes.

#735 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I am just curious what some of the opinions from you people who watch the show are about this. Lets just say for arguments sake, they actually found something like the ark of the covenant. Do you think something like that would be kept under wraps? Would the info of the find be released to the general public? Or would it end up in some government "Raiders of the Lost Ark" type warehouse? I wonder if the Canadian government would step in and if they would deliberate for a while at least, to decide the best course of action if such an item was found.
    If they did start pulling something like pirate, templar, or viking treasure out of the ground, I can only imagine how much more security would be intensified on the island at that point. I think that info on a find of gold coins or similar type treasure, would be released instantly. If if was something like religious or historic artifacts, the news of it might not come out for a while, if at all, depending on what was found.

Laird the archeologists represents the government, if anything looks of interest he’s the one they ask if they can dig it, or if they need to set up a proper grid to dig it out.

It was mentioned previously in this thread that if they do find something significant, they have a while (months) before they have to report it. So the newspapers might not be able to reveal a find before the show does.

If anything significant is found it will be taken by the government; this was always a given. BUT the Lagina Bros own a travel and tourism company for the island. So they’re probably thinking the show/dig is just building interest for their future endeavors. I think if they have a Museum on site, then the government will display the items where they were found. My assumption is that they will build a hotel and offer tours of the island for decades to come.

Just because they find a treasure doesn’t mean that they will keep any of it, so the exit strategy must include something after the dig is done.

#736 5 years ago

After watching this latest episode, I'm surprised they didn't mention one thing. Doesn't mean that they didn't, and it just wasn't shown on TV.

But a few episodes back they proved that their little drill holes can stray up to 8 feet and not be a perfectly vertical hole.

The last episode they mentioned that they were still confused why the smaller drill picked up artifacts, but when they did the larger caison directly over that smaller hole, (was it H8?) it found nothing.

Why didn't they connect the two? That maybe the smaller drill strayed off and actually hit artifacts, but the larger caison is more perfectly vertical, and in fact there's nothing there and their theory of shoving the vault out of the way isn't true, they've just missed it by a couple feet.

Seems like they should have done that test last year before they put in the big can. And now that they've completely obliterated that first pilot hole, there'd be no way to really tell which direction it went.

#737 5 years ago

Some of this has me thinking conspiratorially. That said, if you were a secretive organization like the masons, and needed to get to something hidden in plain sight, this is how you would go about it. Ringer mason fanboys on an adventure hunt pans out and fails along the way but paints a nice wash of acceptable effort to relieve the mystery of its draw while giving them ample room to spirit away what's to be hidden.

Nothing to support that really that isn't conjecture, but seems like the easiest way to explain away the apparent ineptitude hyperbole the show and its focus continue to propel.

Either way, we'd never know if they were successful if that's the case. What they do find is still interesting and I'm ok if some mystery remains. I'd rather wonder than know in most cases.

Now if only I could get my Sling to record the thing right.

#738 5 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

So they are still finding small stuff. If they find the mother lode, everyone will know.

This may or may not occur due to squabbles with other countries etc. right to the treasure. I say this as when several of the treasure hunters around the Gulf and Atlantic side of Florida discovered ships with treasure that went down over 150 yrs ago they never acknowledged the finds until it was being prepared for international court which will decide who are the actual owners and who has aright to a share of the booty.

#739 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

After watching this latest episode, I'm surprised they didn't mention one thing. Doesn't mean that they didn't, and it just wasn't shown on TV.

They have mentioned and monitored the drift not only of their new holes but the old one of others as well.

#740 5 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

That said, if you were a secretive organization like the masons, and needed to get to something hidden in plain sight, this is how you would go about it

Thought crossed my mind as well because:

Pirates
    1) The theory that it was done by pirates is imho just ridiculous, the reason pirates would steal it to begin with it, for survival, money to trade with, living. I just can't fathom they would go to such lengths for something they damn well knew they'd be retrieving in short order. Also do you think trust within all the crew(s) involved would, or could be a viable stance to take given they could come back and get it on their own, or even worse, tell some others about it because of the need for help in retrieval.

Masons/Templars
    2) This feels a little bit better but with all that is known about their activities as a secret organization, coupled with the fact should any of them be captured and tortured they may break and tell where those precious items are. Crazy sounding,hardly, think about all the atrocities the church has committed in the past to gain information; that being said I hardly think this would not be one of the things critical to keeping these sacred objects safe. That leads to me to believe that if it were them, they would remove it and deposit it in other locations to thwart any attempts to gain access and the best way.....keep it in motion. In all these theories I try to keep in mind the number of people this would have required and what do you do with all who have knowledge, well kill all of them, which may very well explain the bones found. I can think of no other sure way they could have kept a secret with so many involved. The Egyptians and their secret tombs come to mind.....they often killed those involved to assure location would remain unknown.

Romans
    3) Not much to think about here for me as evidence is nonexistent upon the North American continent that any Romans ever sailed this far across the Atlantic or Pacific oceans. The concrete, although a Roman invention would have become wide spread knowledge within a year or two at best after it's initial use. So for the concrete, knowledge of the use of lime etc. is all that's necessary to explain it's being there. Sword was a fake so has no bearing on anything.

I personally still feel the U-shaped structures and all were built in order to either build new ships or simply repair and maintain those present so that are ready to deploy. Makes sense that this applies to any of the theories above as all rely on stealth and possible need to escape should it be necessary.....remember the Templars/Masons specially would have more likely than not have people (church etc) searching for them. A semi-dry dock would have allowed them to somewhat hide partially their ships from prying eyes as reasonably as is possible. Safe no, but better than anchoring off shore like a beacon saying here we are.
    Last but not least maybe there was something there temporarily and has been removed and all there is left for us is some very interesting history that to me is treasure in itself.

Russ

#741 5 years ago

Like a crappily tuned pin game, this show is a snooze fest... this whole idea of treasure being buried this way just doesn’t pass the logical smell test for me. Surprised the show has lasted so long to be honest. I do like stories of lost treasures found and what it takes to find mother lodes , like the Atocha find, but I just can’t see anything of significance being found on this site.

#742 5 years ago

Pirates is the only realistic answer, IMO.

#743 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Like a crappily tuned pin game, this show is a snooze fest... this whole idea of treasure being buried this way just doesn’t pass the logical smell test for me. Surprised the show has lasted so long to be honest. I do like stories of lost treasures found and what it takes to find mother lodes , like the Atocha find, but I just can’t see anything of significance being found on this site.

Difference being, learning about it after it was found. And learning about it while it's still being looked for. But you probably wouldn't have found the Atocha very interesting if you started watching it when they started looking for it. From Wiki: "Beginning in 1969, American treasure hunters Mel Fisher, Finley Ricard and a team of sub-contractors, funded by investors and others in a joint venture, searched the sea bed for the Atocha for sixteen and a half years" Sounds a lot like Oak Island to me.

I for one find this very interesting. And hell, I couldn't care less if a real treasure was found. If all they kept digging up was dirt, sure, I'd be gone already. But they've found stuff. And that stuff mesmerizes me. Fragments of bone, and pottery 100 feet down in the ground? On Oak Island? Could it be Templar Knights? The Holy Grail? Shakespeare's work? .....Sorry. Fell into a trance.

But still it got down there somehow, and I want to know more.

#744 5 years ago

Does anyone watch Project Blue Book after Oak Island?

#745 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Yep. It is good. It is filmed in and around Vancouver BC. It is no X-Files, but none of the episodes have been weak. There have been a few CGI parts, that blended in well.

#746 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I'm a sucker for all these type shows. I watched where they we're following path of Jessie James in order to find multiple locations were he supposedly hid small fortunes. Well they did indeed dig up a couple of old mason jar style contains with gold eagles and double eagles them.....true don't could have been placed to find. Been waiting to see its return as they still had further clues to investigate for other locations but so far have not seen any commercials announcing a new season. Anyone see this show?

#747 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I wanted to like it but found it pretty hokey. Its not even closely based on J Allen Hynek's involvement in the UFO phenomenon.

#748 5 years ago

I was hoping for an interesting show last night, but nope. Pretty boring stuff. even finding the concrete structure was not too interesting. At least these guys were true to form.

Quoted from mcclad:

Charles Barkhouse - Look serious and nod "yes" when someone says something.

He sat in the war room looking serious and nodded yes.

Quoted from mcclad:

Dan Henskee - Stand next to someone who actually matters on the show.

He stood next to someone who was actually doing something.

Quoted from mcclad:

Paul Troutmam - I honestly can't remember when this guy did anything.

This guy did nothing.

These people earn such an easy paycheck. I know that they can't all be digging and stuff like that or doing research, but sometimes when I see them onscreen it makes me laugh, because they are not needed at all, and add nothing to the show. LOL. I can picture things at the Troutman household after a long day at work.

Wife "Paul how was your day? It must have been long. You look tired"

Paul "Well to be honest, I sat my ass down at a table. Yeah it was long."

Wife "I'm sorry honey. Tomorrow is another day on Oak Island, maybe things will go better."

Paul "I hope so. Next week they have me sitting at a table. Not the one in the pub mind you, but in the war room. On my ass."

Wife "You poor dear. We do need the money though."

Paul "Not to mention that Barkhouse guy did not do a fucking thing all day but nod in agreement! Meanwhile I am sitting on my ass!"

Wife "Now Paul, while I can clearly understand your frustration, at least you do not have to do that Henskee guy's job. He has to walk with someone who is not completely useless."

Paul "I know, it just sucks. Rick and Craig are always up to their asses in muck, so I don't really have a problem with them, but don't even get me started on that archaeologist. And when is Begley going to change that damn shirt? And then, you won't believe this shit, they stick me in the god damn car with the Fornetti kid! The silence kills me! I need to concentrate when I sit on my ass! And then I am expected to look out the window like a dog! A dog I tell you! There is no justice. Usually we are going to a museum or someone's house, or a lab. We are not going to the vet's office for Pete's sake. I swear this job is going to be the death of me.""

Wife "This is a small consolation, my big strong hard working man, but at least that will make the death toll seven."

Paul "I need a Drink. I will be at the pub. On my ass."

#749 5 years ago

Last episode sucked. I actually had to flip to the SOTU.

#750 5 years ago

Guys.....there's 30 episodes this year. Up from 18 last year.

Not every episode is going to be gangbusters.

There are 2,264 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.