Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,259 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9678 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 46.
    #651 5 years ago

If you are hungry for more, here is a site I visit weekly.

http://www.archaeologica.org/NewsPage.htm

#652 5 years ago

That was a hell of a two-hour episode. Surprised no one is in here talking about it.

#653 5 years ago

spoilers....
    lets see, they found original stone, of course worn smooth and worthless. found a trash pit through metal detector guy which resulted in a handful of pottery fragments. another crazy theory island is a star map. and water leaking in damn. That just about covers it. 2 hrs reduced to 10 min thanks to fast forwarding. oh yeah, in trash pit, an old rifle ramrod.

#654 5 years ago

Thank you, I "fast forward" through the BS by checking out their "finds" here!

#655 5 years ago

Next week is going to be huge!!

#656 5 years ago

Even if the final answer is to show an earlier Atlantic crossing from Roman Europe, that would be a milestone
    to History, and the issues with "Columbus".
    It would also explain the Maps drawn of the East Coast of America in the Vatican Museum, prior to 1492.

#657 5 years ago

Maybe the money pit is just a garbage dump for ships that traveled through the area. That is a possibility. Maybe after all this time, 600 year old garbage is treasure.

#658 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Even if the final answer is to show an earlier Atlantic crossing from Roman Europe, that would be a milestone
    to History, and the issues with "Columbus".
    It would also explain the Maps drawn of the East Coast of America in the Vatican Museum, prior to 1492.

I believe it's already been proven that the Vikings were here some time before Columbus.

#659 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

I believe it's already been proven that the Vikings were here some time before Columbus.

Indeed, which is why I mentioned the Roman World.
    We have faiths, and theories, carvings and stones...none that I pass any judgement, that hints at earlier crossing.

The knowledge of the East Coast was important in a Treaty that split the Atlantic and Pacific Trade routes between Spain and Portugal. an abundance of info in the last 20 years, shows that Spain already had maps, and had explored the coastline, with
    minimal records that support the detail of mapping.
    One theory to support this knowledge that was secret, was earlier Templar Trips, and mappings.
    This information was kept secret, as a shorter trade route to the East that was shorter, would be very valuable.

#660 5 years ago

I was sure they'd have to entirely tear down the water dam due to the leak. Absolutely remove everything and the contractor hauls it away. Millions spent and lost.

Silicone sealer in the joints? Never saw that coming. Wow, would have never thought of that.

#661 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Silicone sealer in the joints? Never saw that coming. Wow, would have never thought of that.

This is what they really used

oak island (resized).jpgoak island (resized).jpg
    #662 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

This is what they really used

drop.gifdrop.gif
    #663 5 years ago

They’re totally blowing those leaks out of proportion. I’ve built quite a few high rises with sheet-piled perimeters and leaks are part of the deal. All they need to do is dig a couple of small ditches to a couple of sump pits and pump it out.

#664 5 years ago

Never thought I would see one of the Rocket City Rednecks on Oak Island.

#665 5 years ago

I was very amused that they spent a million dollars on the dam only to then go and patch it up with a few tulbes of silicon caulk.

Although that was a miss on their part for a heck of a sponsorship.

#666 5 years ago

I’m sure all discussion of leaks, warrenties, and support were negotiated before they paid for the coffer damn. They knew they’d have to seal up leaks and how to do it way ahead.

What we saw was manufactured drama for the sake of the show.

#667 5 years ago

I will speculate that Oak Island was once 2 islands. The 2 islands created a natural dry(ish) dock at low tide. The swamp is what remains of that gap between the islands. If it was a natural dry dock, there should be tons of man made stuff that was left behind.

#668 5 years ago

I agree, it was a Place where a Boat could stay hidden.
    I dont believe in Flood tunnels, just the Loose packing of Glacier Moraine.
    At best, Ill hope for evidence this week of earlier dock in the cove, and a few more pieces of metal.
    People were there, treasure may have been there, but I believe Ball found it,
    Earlier Atlantic crossing at the Best, is a good enough "ending" for me.

#669 5 years ago

I've thought from the first time they mentioned the U-shaped structure, realized it's proximity to the Triangle shaped swamp they claim is man-made, that perhaps it was a dry-dock where they repaired ships in the past, for war, exploration, whatever.

1 week later
    #670 5 years ago

Tonight's episode was fairly decent. I still FF through every second of narrator exposition, but a solid 25 min in this one.

#671 5 years ago

The last two episodes was been great in the discovery aspect.

#672 5 years ago

Come on guys, I come here FOR SPOILERS, did they find anything like a fingernail or twig that resembles an arrow point to the next dig site?

#673 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Come on guys, I come here FOR SPOILERS, did they find anything like a fingernail or twig that resembles an arrow point to the next dig site?

YES! A star map that lines up with some rocks.

1 week later
    #674 5 years ago

After watching the show for a number of years, I have noticed that certain members of this group have specific roles that they play, in any episode that they are in. For example......

Charles Barkhouse - Look serious and nod "yes" when someone says something.

Peter Fornetti - Ride in the back seat of a car, or walk into the frame of a shot with a shovel, and do and say, nothing. At all. Ever.

Dan Henskee - Stand next to someone who actually matters on the show.

Jack Begley - Wear green Under Armor shirt while exclaiming in the most forced manner possible, things like, "WOW! WHAT IS THAT???" Oh and to dig.

Laird Niven - Look at something that was clearly done by man, and after careful consideration, state that he thinks that particular something was in fact, done by man. Which most people watching the show could already clearly tell, without him unnecessarily stating the obvious. "Yes I would have to say that that wooden structure underground is definitely man made." Great, thanks. Glad that you could shed some light on the subject.

Paul Troutmam - I honestly can't remember when this guy did anything. He probably gives the Fornetti kid some company in the back seat of a vehicle when they are going somewhere to do research. They can look out the windows together like a couple of dogs.

#675 5 years ago

I love how the announcer always needs to state their full name and the company they work with. Poor Billy, he's just listed as a 'Heavy Equipment Operator'. Guess one of the main cast members owes him a favor so they brought him in for a few episodes to scratch around in Smith's Cove.

#676 5 years ago

A total waste of time; doing anything else is better time spent than watching a bunch of dopey guys that will never find anything of value.

#677 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

A total waste of time; doing anything else is better time spent than watching a bunch of dopey guys that will never find anything of value.

Obviously you haven't been watching the last few episodes.

#678 5 years ago

I found the last 2 episodes amazing! Yes, they are drawn out for TV, but now the "Folklore" is showing to be True, and even more
    surprises have been found.
    I think those that are disappointed in simply, "Heres the Treasure, Done", have not experienced an Archaeological, or Paleontological dig.

Some sites I have visited, the artifact can be grabbed and picked up, but take 2 weeks to brush away and document in Situ.
    Or waiting weeks for approval and security, analysis, discussion, restoration and cleaning can take years.

Turning Digs into entertainment for an instant gratification seems to be a bit ironic, and our TV experiences have prejudiced our expectations.
    (But I agree, on how stretched, and repeated this show is)

Several Major events occurred here....much more than just a Buried treasure in the 1700s...what that is is more intriguing to me, than a box of
    treasure that would be like the spoils found from shipwrecks from the 1600s-1700s.

#679 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I found the last 2 episodes amazing! Yes, they are drawn out for TV, but now the "Folklore" is showing to be True, and even more
    surprises have been found.
    I think those that are disappointed in simply, "Heres the Treasure, Done", have not experienced an Archaeological, or Paleontological dig.
    Some sites I have visited, the artifact can be grabbed and picked up, but take 2 weeks to brush away and document in Situ. a
    Or waiting weeks for approval and security, analysis, discussion, restoration and cleaning can take years.
    Turning Digs into entertainment for an instant gratification seems to be a bit ironic, and our TV experiences have prejudiced our expectations.
    (But I agree, on how stretched, and repeated this show is)
    Several Major events occurred here....much more than just a Buried treasure in the 1700s...what that is is more intriguing to me, than a box of
    treasure that would be like the spoils found from shipwrecks from the 1600s-1700s.

I totally agree. I don't need them to find treasure, if there is any to be found, just yet. I like watching their approach to everything, and the discoveries they are making along the way. I have read so much on the subject, its nice to finally be able to see things like the 90 foot stone, or the box drains. (If they are authentic.)

#680 5 years ago

Finding man made Box Drains would blow me away.
    I never believed they existed, simply flooding due to Geology.
    Even still, to Peg and assemble the dock/wall discovered is a huge undertaking on a tiny island.
    If not a Treasure, or a dock for repairing ships during war..... any other ideas?

#681 5 years ago

So I just begrudgingly watched two very painful episodes of this show. Instead of risking my sanity and intelligence, can anyone tell me if they have actually found something of value on this show or is it all speculation mumbo jumbo? The episode I watched they found a rock and spent twenty minutes explaining why it shouldn't have been there. Then they also explained that most of the island was demoed back in the 60's by some cigarette smoking "treasure hunter"....

#682 5 years ago

There is plenty of evidence that SOMETHING happened on the island. There is also speculation that some treasure was found, but I don't think it has ever been proven. What they do find is interesting from a historical point of view.

#683 5 years ago

Value? as in Gold Coins, Gems?
    A few Coins, 1700s, likely from a British encampment.
    Jewelry/Brooches, Semi Precious from the same time or earlier.
    A lead cross, of date apparently earlier than 1600s.
    A cross Bow Bolt, identified as Roman.

Archaeologically...enough to suggest one, or several landings, structures and activities
    Earlier than the 1600s.

If Viking, its a pretty damn big find. If European/Templar/Roman....Ground breaking and a re-write of History......Priceless.

Heres one of my favorite "Treasures" Found

The Cave of Letters, 130 AD, 2nd (3rd) Revolt. To think the people that used these were part of that History.....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #684 5 years ago

Its interesting how some people are insistent that nothing at all happened on that island in the past, and there is nothing to be found. I read somewhere that the explanation of the human bones that they found underground, were because of a natural sinkhole. If that was the case, they would not have been found under 160 feet of earth, they would have been found in a huge pit. The money pit was also supposed to be a natural sinkhole formation, but I do not buy that for a second.

#685 5 years ago

I thought I'd go ahead and point out this comment I made back on Dec 2nd. Seems I may have always been right?

"I know they are probably waiting to see for themselves before they say anything, but they've already called stuff Templar and speculated a lot more about other things. So that keeps me wondering why they keep calling it a "mysterious U-Shaped structure."

I mean, I'm no expert, but the first guy in the mid-1900's built a Cofferdam to find the water tunnels, but instead found a mysterious U-Shaped structure. Now the guys are building another, bigger Cofferdam to surround the mid-1900's Cofferdam and the mysterious U-Shaped structure. So two modern U-shaped structures around an ancient one.

Why haven't they just come out and say that this U-shaped structure "might" be the original Cofferdam that built the water tunnels? Seems kinda obvious to me."

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/12#post-4714940

#686 5 years ago

They have stated this a few times, and repeated....last couple episodes.

#687 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

They have stated this a few times, and repeated....last couple episodes.

That is correct. But my comment came before that. I just wanted to show you guys how smart I am. It just seemed like an obvious answer, and just always wondered why they never called it out until they put eyes on it.

#688 5 years ago

So after watching an hour show I realized they found a wooden plank and a rock. I can go in my backyard and find the same!

#689 5 years ago
    Quoted from L8vid:

So after watching an hour show I realized they found a wooden plank and a rock. I can go in my backyard and find the same!

Well what the heck are you doing wasting your time talking to us?!?!? You better get out in your back yard.

Everyone whines about what they have or haven’t found and how much time they have wasted watching it. I’m going to start only making posts complaining about how much time I’ve wasted reading posts about people wasting time watching oak island lol.

#690 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

After watching the show for a number of years, I have noticed that certain members of this group have specific roles that they play, in any episode that they are in. For example......
    Charles Barkhouse - Look serious and nod "yes" when someone says something.
    Peter Fornetti - Ride in the back seat of a car, or walk into the frame of a shot with a shovel, and do and say, nothing. At all. Ever.
    Dan Henskee - Stand next to someone who actually matters on the show.
    Jack Begley - Wear green Under Armor shirt while exclaiming in the most forced manner possible, things like, "WOW! WHAT IS THAT???" Oh and to dig.
    Laird Niven - Look at something that was clearly done by man, and after careful consideration, state that he thinks that particular something was in fact, done by man. Which most people watching the show could already clearly tell, without him unnecessarily stating the obvious. "Yes I would have to say that that wooden structure underground is definitely man made." Great, thanks. Glad that you could shed some light on the subject.
    Paul Troutmam - I honestly can't remember when this guy did anything. He probably gives the Fornetti kid some company in the back seat of a vehicle when they are going somewhere to do research. They can look out the windows together like a couple of dogs.

Man that is some funny stuff right there. You nailed everyone of those guys perfectly

#691 5 years ago
    Quoted from L8vid:

But does your rock have a straight edge and mysterious "carvings" on it?.

best case scenerio, knights templar hid holy grail there in moneypit
    runner up, pirates hid their gold in moneypit.
    settle for , romans washed up on shore, built dock to try and repair boat, in the meantime, built "vault" aka time capsule , to show they were there and hide gold/payroll, they were carrying.

what keeps me interested, cocoanut fibers found, bones found underground. wood found underground,
    as for the metal detector guy, no telling when things were dropped. remember the fake roman sword . people probably now visiting and throwing all kinds of crap all over island.

ridiculous, star map, knights templar, holy grail, shakespears original works, marie antoinettes jewels.
    as for star map, yeah, they moved boulders that weighed tons to align with stars with no instruments but a string and a rock.

#692 5 years ago

They have the coffer dam down to bedrock. Why not try to drain all of the shafts now to see if they can dry them out to get a water free look in all the holes?

#693 5 years ago
    Quoted from jesster64:

as for star map, yeah, they moved boulders that weighed tons to align with stars with no instruments but a string and a rock

I think it is accepted that the Egyptians built mountains in perfect alignment with the stars without tools so....... I’m not justifying the Star map thing but I think the ancient people lived by the alignment of the stars so it is possible I suppose.

As for the three possible outcomes you listed I think I would most like to see proof the Romans were here. That is complete history game changer IMO. I used to find the Knights Templar interesting but they are so 2010... I am rooting against the Templar connection just because that seems to be the consensus go to solution.

#694 5 years ago
    Quoted from L8vid:

Could it be L8vid found an ancient rock and who put it there? And why is a perfectly formed piece of wood buried in this yard? Could it be pointing towards a long lost buried treasure?

(Break to the laser scanning and carbon dating guys examining a rock and a 2x6, then the guy showing two stars is in alignment with the wood and rock)

Symbols? On the wood? Are these Roman numerals or possibly alien symbols? And are these the directions to the treasure?

(Break to the bar code printed on the 2x6)

What secrets will be revealed?

(Break to exciting teasers from the next episode showing L8vid digging up the neighbors flower garden with 5 people standing around watching)

#695 5 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

They have the coffer dam down to bedrock. Why not try to drain all of the shafts now to see if they can dry them out to get a water free look in all the holes?

I was kinda wondering the same. I mean they tried to drain the shafts before, but they eventually filled back up. So why not test it out again and see if they fill up again, or maybe not as fast?

And the whole stars thing is interesting. I know navigating by the stars was common back then. But I can't imagine what all it would take to measure out and place objects in the exact same location on the ground. I mean, how do you figure out the scale? Goes to show we have it way too easy today. "Google. Navigate to McDonald's."

Also, who else was thinking that they should check that one star point that landed in the water just north of Oak Island?

#696 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I was kinda wondering the same. I mean they tried to drain the shafts before, but they eventually filled back up. So why not test it out again and see if they fill up again, or maybe not as fast?
    And the whole stars thing is interesting. I know navigating by the stars was common back then. But I can't imagine what all it would take to measure out and place objects in the exact same location on the ground. I mean, how do you figure out the scale? Goes to show we have it way too easy today. "Google. Navigate to McDonald's."
    Also, who else was thinking that they should check that one star point that landed in the water just north of Oak Island?

I am not sure that I buy the star map but I believe that type of thing was prevelant in the period and is a possibility I suppose. Ancient people built structures to align with the Stars. The pyramids of Egypt are a representation of the constellation Orion. They used the structures to show homage to the gods. Remnants from the past always trickle into modern societies and I am sure whoever was on oak island would have been familiar with archeoastronomy, whether it be pirates, Templar, or romans

#697 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

scale is easy, star 1 is arbitrary distance of one unit from star 2. star 2 is 1.3 arbitrary units from star 3, and so on for all the relevant stars. Angles are easily measured. Pick your start pint on the ground for star 1. assign the arbitrary distance a real distance, say 100 feet. that makes the 2 to 3 distance 130 feet, measure your angles and place things as needed to match. Its very simple. obviously spanning islands would be difficult as they would need to be used as your baseline distance. 2 islands would be pretty easy, beyond that your at the luck of the island distribution.

#698 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

scale is easy, star 1 is arbitrary distance of one unit from star 2. star 2 is 1.3 arbitrary units from star 3, and so on for all the relevant stars. Angles are easily measured. Pick your start pint on the ground for star 1. assign the arbitrary distance a real distance, say 100 feet. that makes the 2 to 3 distance 130 feet, measure your angles and place things as needed to match. Its very simple. obviously spanning islands would be difficult as they would need to be used as your baseline distance. 2 islands would be pretty easy, beyond that your at the luck of the island distribution.

True enough, but why move boulders that weigh tons to those specific points. Are they expecting to hide whatever is there for 500 years? For that kind of effort, you could have just stacked up some med sized rocks. Imagine the effort to move that kind of tonnage. Makes no sense.

Hopefully tomorrow they dig the large hole in the right place. Triangulate the box drains back in line and get to it.

#699 5 years ago
    Quoted from jesster64:

True enough, but why move boulders that weigh tons to those specific points. Are they expecting to hide whatever is there for 500 years? For that kind of effort, you could have just stacked up some med sized rocks. Imagine the effort to move that kind of tonnage. Makes no sense.
    Hopefully tomorrow they dig the large hole in the right place. Triangulate the box drains back in line and get to it.

they didn't move anything there is more than enough "slop" in the star map to find big rocks in the "right" place in a rocky environment. The star map is just a fun tv diversion. IF they really did move rocks you would move large ones as they would be unlikely to be moved again. A pile of medium rocks is much easier to have accidentally scavenged, or naturally disrupted, over time.

#700 5 years ago

Youd think 'if' those rocks turn out to be the flood tunnels they could follow them back and find the original money pit

There are 2,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/14?hl=jesperpark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.