6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Chosen_S
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I have some cracks in the brick siding of my house to repair. Will be using a ready-to-use concrete mix for the larger gaps and UGL Drylok for the smaller gaps in the mortar. I also have a number of bricks that are cracked that I'd like to use a brick-colored caulk on so that the repairs don't stand out like a sore thumb but I can't seem to find one, what do you guys recommend?

#2 6 years ago

Why is this cracking? I'd make sure there isn't some structural issue causing things to crack.

#3 6 years ago

brick is not considered "siding".

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

Why is this cracking? I'd make sure there isn't some structural issue causing things to crack.

Was like that when we moved in, it's a pretty old house.

#5 6 years ago

The few times I've seen damaged brick work repaired, the damaged bricks were removed, and new bricks installed in their place.

#6 6 years ago

You want to use mortar mix in the joints NOT concrete. And make sure you grind out the loose mortar. As far as the cracked bricks that's tough, replacing them is probably best, if not try colored grout depending on the color of the bricks.
    And I agree with force flow, might be worth making sure it's not a bigger problem that will come right back.
    Good luck

#7 6 years ago

My guess would be you have a foundation issue. That can cause all kinds of problems. Would find the cause of the problem first and make sure any cracks you repair are cosmetic. If the brick wall has lost integrity or has become weakened you may need a professional to repair it correctly.

#8 6 years ago

Quikrete makes a compound in a caulk application that I have used for years, it’s like mortar in a caulk tube and the color was spot on. When applied to a large area it feels like hard rubber with a grainy texture, definitely saved me from re-pointing my mortar

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-new-home-owner-question-on-brick-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.