Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DocRotCod
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DocRotCod.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I've got an older Dell SC1420 server that a client uses for Exchange. 2 of the 3 drives went offline and so the array shows failed. Thing is, I know one of the failed drives is ok. The controller is a Perc 320/DC but the problem is unlike most RAID controllers I've dealt with, this one doesn't give the option to force the drives online or bring the array back online. Hoping some of my fellow IT consultants might have some insight into this. I've seen that Openmanage Live 5.4 can help, but I can't find a download for it any longer. Earliest I've found is 7.1 and while it comes up, it does not see the controller in openmanage to bring the drives online.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

I would think if you lost 2 drives running RAID5 it’s not recoverable.

The healthy drive went offline when trying to rebuild the failed member. Prior to that both drives were healthy and the server was up and running.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

How do you know one of the offline drives is ok? Did you run a drive diagnostic?
    I would recommend posting on a tech site such as spiceworks.com for more advanced help & suggestions.

Not more than an hour prior to that, the server was up and running. But I went into the management software and the array was just 'degraded', and 2 of the 3 drives were healthy. So we shut it down and moved it. Fired it up at our office and when we went into the controller config (at this point and up to now have not tried to go back into windows) it showed the original failed drive as 'rebuilding'. The other 2 drives still healthy. Rebuild failed at about 9%, which most likely was due to the original issue with the original failed drive. But then the controller marked the 2nd drive as failed. If I could get the 2nd drive back to active, I could most likely get back in to at least get my information store recovered or clone the server to an external drive.

#9 6 years ago

Update: Found the hidden key combo to bring drive back online. Ctrl+r brought the second drive back online. I then imaged off the array to an external drive with no errors. Brought the server up and server is functioning perfectly fine and passing email. Thanks for everyone’s input.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Awesome! Just curious, if you were able to image the RAID to a single external drive I'm guessing it runs an older version of Exchange?

Yes. This particular client has been downsizing so they aren't wanting to make any investments in their systems currently.

FYI running rock solid still.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DocRotCod.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-need-help-with-raid-controller-on-server?tu=DocRotCod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.