8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by GAP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 26 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    Kona.jpg
    CIMG3608.jpg
    CIMG3612.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    citrine.jpg
    Sir_Big_Boy.JPG
    image.jpg
    171.JPG
    htc_pics_009.jpg
    IMG_00031.jpg
    photo-7_copy_2.JPG
    LoganEnd2012_124.JPG

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

My 9.5 year old French mastiff who we have had since she was 8 weeks old can no longer get off the couch. Problem is my son adores her and naps on her regularly. This is killing me inside. And neither me or the wife want another dog at this time...

So much to a good start to the new year.

Sorry... Just venting.

image.jpg image.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I hope she feels better. I had this happen with my little pit once. It took a few days of nothing but ice cubes, but she came back. I hope it's that easy!

#3 8 years ago

In this case it's due to her knees. At 140lbs they can no longer lift her. They have pretty much calcified. We had her on tons of pain killers and anti inflammatorys for quality of life but they just don't work anymore.

#4 8 years ago

I hope she gets better soon. Thats an awesome dog.

#5 8 years ago

Much mojo, man....

#6 8 years ago

I'm sorry Alex, please don't consider it venting. My thoughts are with you, your family and the very difficult choices you have yet to make.

#7 8 years ago

Alexlevy I feel for what your going through, you are in a tuff spot as a parent. We had a Chinese sharpie whom we lost at the young age of 7yrs.. She too was my grandson's best friend as they were born in the same year, and built a special bond together, so I know how it wrenches your soul to see either suffer.

#8 8 years ago

Sorry Alex,

I waited 8 years since putting down my last one but the healing was done and we picked up a really nice German Shepherd puppy about a year ago.

This will be our third and probably our last. Kids are in college and we won't have the strength or energy for another puppy in 15 or 20 years.

Making the decision and following through with it, is one of the toughest things we face as pet owners. Stay strong, remember the good times, if he is in that much pain, he will be in a better place soon.

Your family will understand and grow from it. And time will heal your pain.

Good luck.

#9 8 years ago

So sorry! They become an extension of the family very easy and is very tough when it reaches this point. I hope your son does ok with what is ahead.

#10 8 years ago

Alex, I know what your going through. We have a shepherd mix who is going through the same thing. We give him the meds, but they just stop working after awile. We are not looking forward to the day when he cannot move himself anymore. Some days are good for him and some not so good. I hope your son will be ok. Hang in there man.

#11 8 years ago

Sorry to hear that. Never an easy thing to do, but he's taken care of your family so long, you have to return the favor when he needs you to do so.

I hope you can find comfort and he isn't in pain for long!

#12 8 years ago

Very sorry to learn of this. Our pets truly become an integral part of our families, so any pain they are in, we are in too. I hope somehow, someway she gets better...

#13 8 years ago

So sorry to hear of this. It is a difficult time. What does your vet recommend? I had to put down my two pets last year within a month of each other, and it hurts. But remember that your dog needs you to make good decisions for her. I recommend discussing this with your vet who can help you understand your options at this point. I hope you find comfort in your decision.

#14 8 years ago

Luckily our vet is also family so additional care is always taken when making decisions but we think its near that time because its just inhumane to keep her in pain. She cries softly while she sleeps and groans during the day but never once does she "complain" if you know what i mean. She is very stoic.

#15 8 years ago

So sorry to read this Alex. They really are an extension of the family. I had to make the decision to put down my first dog that was when I lived at home with my parents and he moved with me. So painful of a decision but there really was no other option. I swore never to own a dog again.

Fast forward 14 years and my children begged for their first dog. I resisted but felt it would be a life lesson for them someday too, and in the interim truly enjoy the companionship. I've grown attached to our new dog of 2 years old, but damn if I don't dread that day I know will come again. Like an old wound waiting to be picked open again. But as the saying goes "better to loved than to not love at all".

#16 8 years ago

#17 8 years ago

Always hard to see a loved one suffer, and making a call like this is never easy.
    Had to do it myself one time, and it always hurts to let them go. But when the quality is there no more, and pain is all one has left, you gotta bite the bullet, no matter how hard it is.
    Take care, and enjoy the moments you had and still have left!

#19 8 years ago

I am so sorry.

I wish I knew words to comfort you.

LTG : (

#20 8 years ago

Condolences Alex. I understand.

The hardest thing I have had to go through thus far in life was the death of our first sheltie, Kotie Sue. We had to put her down on April 8, 2007. She struggled a year with bladder cancer. We did everything we could and bore all expense to do what we could, but the cancer only briefly went into remission. The hard thing about this cancer is that it is tumors that grow between the lining and wall of the bladder, so a dog will have no symptoms except for more frequent evacuation until the tumors block the urethra and cause uraemic poisoning. It is hard to reconcile that your loved pet is herself only with death being imminent. There is the issue of one's own selfishness to deal with in trying to maintain the pet's life. The vet assured us that this becomes the case only when it is evident the dog is ready for death and its owners continue to fight for its life.

In Kotie's case we knew when she was ready. Kotie hated being wet, and one day she just laid in the yard during a thunder storm getting soaked.

It is ironic that as she aged, I found myself withdrawing from her emotionally little by little trying to distance myself from the pain of her ultimate demise. I did not like this at all but it wasn't something I could control. When her cancer was diagnosed and her death became a reality, I no longer distanced myself but became free to love and enjoy her again.

I was broken up for half a year easily.

I had started looking of for another sheltie pup about six months before we put Kotie down. On April 1, I brought home Brooke, an eight month-old show dog, whose owner decided that her head was too small for the standard. My wife's birthday was the next day. Kotie took to Brooke right away, and her presence helped Kotie during her final week.

Brooke helped us through it by giving us a new target for the affection we had for Kotie. This is a great opportunity to teach your son about love, grief and loss. Try and bring a new object of that affection into the family as quick as you can. The new dog won't replace the Mastiff, but will bring new joy on its own.

Dan

#21 8 years ago

That's going to be the hardest part. I can guarantee we will end up with another dog. My wife wanted a Great Dane. I didn't think I will be able to just go out and get another one but it may be inevitable.

She came with me to work, to the shop, you name it. Most gentle dog in the world yet people who didn't know would actually cross the street when we walked her. 150lbs in her heyday.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

In Kotie's case we knew when she was ready. Kotie hated being wet, and one day she just laid in the yard during a thunder storm getting soaked.

Behavior changes are the worst. My dog Trixie ( pom/rat terrier mix ) was the only dog I ever had that was either sleeping or running around. She wouldn't lay, or even sit for any length of time. Always had to be doing something.

And when she started laying all the time, was really hard on me. And I'm sure on her.

LTG : (

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

I didn't think I will be able to just go out and get another one but it may be inevitable.

I don't know how many times I never thought I could ever get another dog. Usually caved in less than a week. Three weeks to Prada was the longest.

Going home to an empty house sucked.

LTG

#24 8 years ago

I feel for you. Our pets are part of our family, and the pain of losing one is so intense. My wife and I lost our pet after 19 years. That was 2 years ago and we still miss her.

We made the mistake of waiting too long to put her down. Do yourself and your dog a kindness and make the hard decision at the right time. It is for the best.

#25 8 years ago

Sorry to hear Alex.

We are at a similar stage with our 12.5 year old yellow Lab. She is a great girl but has osteosarcoma on her front right leg and spreading slowly to her lungs. The meds have helped for a few weeks but she is starting to limp a bit more even with the meds. I just hope she lets me know when the time is right.

Here is a picture of her (Citrine) with her best buddy (Yara).

citrine.jpg

#26 8 years ago

I went through a similar situation when I was a kid. We had a black lab mix named Samantha who had a thyroid issue that resulted in her being about 50 pounds overweight. Yes, a 130 lb. black lab if you can imagine such a thing. Over the years, the added weight took it's toll on her and she developed hip dysplasia. The effects of the condition eventually getting to the point where she struggled mightily to do common tasks like picking herself up and walking. When she looked at us we could tell she was miserable and in pain...

I still remember the day my parents made "the call" to the vet. How upset I was and my mom explaining why it had to be done. The vet knew our family well and made the trip to the house. We took her outside to the patio and had her lay on her favorite blanket. It was a beautiful day. I held her, my mom petted her, and she went to sleep for the last time.

A year or so prior to this, my parents had taken in a one year old golden retriever. Having him around definitely helped our family get over the loss of Samantha.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you and your family will get through this. It won't be easy, but you will. And, like others have said, another dog will go a long ways in the healing process and help you all move on. When you're ready of course. After all, who doesn't love a cute little puppy?

It's like George Carlin once said... "Life is a series of dogs." Like most things he said, he was right on the money.

#27 8 years ago

Sorry to hear this Alex. I too have a wonderful friend named shanna. She has been with us for 15 years. She cant even stand. I have to pick her up and take her outside to pee. Then she falls. Breaks my heart. I feel for u. I hope you french mastiff gets well soon.

#28 8 years ago

I am a dog owner myself (English Bulldog) and I wish you the best.

Pets are like family members.

2012-09-02_20.25.06.jpg

#29 8 years ago

It may not be a good start to a new year but I am willing to bet you had 9.5 good ones with your friend. My dog is the biggest pain in the butt on 4 legs but if something happened to him I would be lost. Its amazing how much they become part of our families and our lives. Unfortunately, they cannot make decisions on their own behalf. Then its up to us to have that unpleasant task. I'm sure that when and if the time comes for such a decision, your heart will make the right one. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. Take care.

#30 8 years ago

I know all about this and I am very sorry to hear the news. What great photos up there. You will make the right choice when it's time. I miss my Cooper so much it still kills me. I still have ms. Luna though. (both english bulldogs) I will always have an english bulldog in my home. I just love all dogs.
    Sending good thoughts Alex.
    What's her name?

#31 8 years ago

I know all about this and I am very sorry to hear the news. What great photos up there. You will make the right choice when it's time. I miss my Cooper so much it still kills me. I still have ms. Luna though. (both english bulldogs) I will always have an english bulldog in my home. I just love all dogs.
    Sending good thoughts Alex.
    What's her name?

I had an English bully as well. Hank. He was nuts. Loved him. He was actually rehomed to a friend of ours because he was way too rough with the baby. Love him but he's insane.

Her name is Chloe

image.jpg image.jpg

#32 8 years ago

I'm sorry Alex, please don't consider it venting. My thoughts are with you, your family and the very difficult choices you have yet to make.

I lost my best buddy Samson, last year... he was a yellow lab that we rescued and he had hip issues. he was 14ish... and with us for 13 years. If I could make it so no one had to deal with this pain I would. know that we are all thinking of you.

Image036_(2).jpg Image038_(2).jpg

#33 8 years ago

Aww, man...I am sorry to hear you are going thru this. It is a sad part of life, but I have always tried to focus on all the good times, and what a great life my pets have had. I bet if she could, she would thank you for providing a loving home and sharing your life with her

#34 8 years ago

Thinking good thoughts for you Alex.
    Cherish your time with her.

#35 8 years ago

Sorry to hear this Alex. Losing a family member is never easy, and non-pet owners would just not understand.

You will do what you need to do, and I know that, but remember this: You gave that fabulous dog 10 years of quality life, love, and happiness. I know it will be one of the most difficult things you ever do, but know that this too, will be out of love.

It will be hard for your son also, but I don't know if you'd be able to explain to him in a way that he can understand what is happening.

Know in your heart that you are doing all you can and that, as you said, it is a quality of life issue at this point. Hope you can get through it all and get another family member if and when the time comes. Let your son be a big part of the process, and it may help you all in moving on. Don't forget the life you were able to give that fine anomal. Remember all the great times and celebrate them.

Chris

#36 8 years ago

That is lousy. I'm so sorry for you. The only thing that will help is time. We lost our cat Boots three years ago, she was 22. We waited a year and stopped by a shelter just to look around. Of course we came home with our new cat Casper that day. The vet at the shelter said all white cats are usually either really bad or super nice. We got the super nice version. She is a joy. I would love a dog but can't make the necessary time commitment. Don't be afraid to dive back in when the time comes. Grieving is natural but so is moving on. Best wishes and best of luck.

P1010018.JPG

#37 8 years ago

Man, I feel for you. It was just over a year ago that my wife lost both of her cats, brother and sister, both 19. Pets are a part of the family

Here's hoping for a return to health!

#38 8 years ago

Condolences Alexlevy... hope for the best.

Had my Buddy for 4 years, my son and I consider him another of us dudes. Best of luck!

20120912_195332.jpg

#39 8 years ago

Long live my best friends and everyone elses' out there.

LoganEnd2012_124.JPG

#40 8 years ago

Alex,

I was just informed by my husband about the kindness and sharing you are all talking about.
    Alex,"it is wonderful you are opening up with all these people that have pinball in common and the love of your precious dog". Saying goodbye to anyone is so hard, and your heart is filled with so much emotion and trying to understand what is best is a hard decision. Both my husband and I have experienced this hardship and would like to say,"opening up is good for you right now and the tough decision will never be an easy one". Our thoughts and prayers for you and your family as you begin to understand our love for our pets is a big part of who we are as loving people.
    So sorry for this hard time for you right now. A big hug and kiss to your best friend.

// Error: Image 62996 not found //

#41 8 years ago

Sending you good energy for your family.

photo-7_copy_2.JPG

#42 8 years ago

All the best Alex!

IMG_00031.jpg

#43 8 years ago

chester would like to say hello!

htc_pics_009.jpg

#45 8 years ago

That's the good and bad about pets... they'll give you years of enjoyment but the end is rough.

I went through a period of 1.5 years where I lost 2 cats and a dog. One cat was 10 years old, wound up with bone marrow cancer, and let me tell you, there's nothing worse than watching 6 months of deterioration of a loved one. The other two were more age related, an 18 year old cat and a 14 year old Irish Setter, both just got to the point where it was obvious they had a hard time existing, and the decision was fairly straight forward with vet recommendation (though only one made it to euthanasia).

It took another 1.5 years before I would entertain another dog, and now we have a 4 month old lab mix from a shelter and sleep and peace are tough to come by. 16 years since I had to raise a puppy, and now I remember why 10 cats are 10x easier than 1 dog!

1 month later
    #46 7 years ago

Unfortunately at 7:30pm tonight we lost our beloved mastiff. 10 years young and my best friend.

My son is too young to understand what happened and keeps looking for her. its the hardest decision my wife and I have had to make but we couldn't let her live in pain. It was selfish and immoral.

image.jpg

#47 7 years ago

Sorry for your loss, man.

#48 7 years ago

So sorry. :'(

#49 7 years ago

Loosing a pet is always hard. They will never be forgotten

Sir_Big_Boy.JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 254.99
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,699.00
    $ 109.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Starcade Amusement
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 91.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 85.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 214.99
    $ 149.00
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 81.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    PIC
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside