(Topic ID: 6337)

OT: Multicade, are they worth it?

By ssathre

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130925_134417.jpg
    20130511_132147.jpg
    20131022_153646.jpg
    20131009_163859.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    Before and After 1.jpg
    123.png
    image.jpg
    13.jpg
    IMG_2070.jpg
    1274422_10151878099632184_1650049152_o.jpg
    sega.jpg
    am.jpg
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

There are a variety of XX in 1 Jamma boards out there, some (iCade revision A) better than others, but none as true to real as they don't use the real ROMs. Casual players may not notice the difference, but purists will be able to spot the errors in game play, colors and/or sounds. As others have stated, you get what you pay for. I retrofitted my original ms Pacman cocktail w/ two new control panels (with 2 fire buttons), an adapter card and an iCade 60-1 so my kids could play a variety of games on it and I could keep the machine all original with just a 10 minute swap. That said, I also have a DK Jr (and DK board to play both), BurgerTime, Dig Dug and Vs. Unisystem. There's something to be said about the original cabinet, control panel, marquee, look, feel, etc... If DK is a game you want, I'd honestly recommend staying original. With the Kong Off's there are PLENTY of DK cabinets to go around and you should be easily able to acquire one for a few hundred bucks. The benefit is that you can swap in a DK Jr and DK 3 board just by swapping out the connectors (I have a spare DK Jr board if you get to that point).

I tried an xxx in one before, the most expensive and top of the line too. I gutted it immediately. Those XXX in 1's SUCK! Do it right if you're going to do it and do a computer emulated MAME.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I think those pedastal cabs are PERFECT for mame,

I have two of the cabinets. Both Gaunlets. I'd love a diagram layout of Pinballwizard79's controls area, so I could copy it. Your game looks awesome!!!

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Looks awesome. I love everything except the LCD. I hate LCD in a mame, it looks weird to me, all boxy, gritty and stretched out all weird. I had to drive 10 hours to find a NIB 32" original arcade monitor to put in mine because I wanted the original arcade look and feel but didn't want an old fuzzed out monitor. There is nothing like a fresh crisp NIB arcade monitor.

I run vertical games in their regular aspect ratio with bilinear filtering turned off & triad6 artifacts @ 1080p & dedicated bezel art on the left/right of the game.

It looks legit & I've yet to see anyone run it in this manner which is a pity.

For horizontal games I sometimes run stretched & sometimes not. Depends on my mood.

Honestly I hate CRT now.

When I get on my Cruis'n USA it looks like shit. Monitor nostalgia is not something I enjoy lol

This is my 6th MAME, all previous were CRT.... Never again

#54 10 years ago

I tried an xxx in one before, the most expensive and top of the line too. I gutted it immediately. Those XXX in 1's SUCK! Do it right if you're going to do it and do a computer emulated MAME.

Agree on the xxx-in-1's. But disagree that MAME is best. Well, if you want to play the older classics,stuff like the pacman and donkey king games, galaxian/galaga and variants, dig dug, zaxxon, zookeeper, vs pinball and golf, frogger, bagman, xevious, etc. For this stuff, the way to go is the ArcadeSD board, a plug-and-play jamma board with ongoing development to support additional games (over 100 supported now). Emulation and sound quality for the supported games is generally better than MAME and no worse. It saves high scores on almost all games. Easy set-up so you can include/exclude specific games from the graphical menu. And,very importantly, it handles both 4-way and 8-way games beautifully with an 8-way joystick. Also supports 49-way and trackball for the games that use them. And it simply plugs into any existing jamma cabinet, and boots in several seconds to the game selection menu. No pc crap t deal with.

#55 10 years ago

I don't understand some of the prices people try to sell these at?!

minneapolis.craigslist.org link

$3500 for that monstrosity?!

Here's one that's $500 cheaper... only $3000 for this one:

minneapolis.craigslist.org link

At those prices you'd imagine they went out and paid for licenses on all the emulated games!

#56 10 years ago

I have a 1917 in 1 jamma pcb love it. Plug and play in a jamma cab. Plays all the laser games and more, Has a jukebox in it and I can put other games, mp3's on the HDD also.

#57 10 years ago

I have a mame cab with hyperspin running it. 4 player, 2 guns, trackball, and spinner. Custom oak cabinet that I built. I'm running mame, Atari 2600, nes, snes, Sega, Sega genesis, turbo graphic 16, .... I'm sure there's others.

Do that with a 60 in 1 jamma machine.

#58 10 years ago

MAME is the ideal way, but I just went with a Ms Pac cabinet I got for $400, cleaned up the cabinet, new decals, and the I Cade kit for $120 and happy how it turned out for now.

Before and After 1.jpgBefore and After 1.jpg

#59 10 years ago

Few more:

IMG_2627.jpgIMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpgIMG_4114.jpg

#60 10 years ago

Here's what is offered, should I consider only to be worth a few hundred bucks?

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #61 10 years ago

That isn't a bad looking multi. Old Millipede cabinet? LED buttons and trackball are nice. Hopefully you like black and yellow I would guess that you would be able to sell that later for $300 - $600 depending on how patient you were and who was looking to buy.

#62 10 years ago

I had the arcade bug and was constantly buying and selling trying to get the "perfect" mix of games. Finally, I gave in and sold all of my arcades and bought this...

20131009_163859.jpg20131009_163859.jpg
    #63 10 years ago

Poor Millipede

Other than the LCD it looks pretty good.

#64 10 years ago

If you think you might be in the market for a MAME or "multicade"........ answer THIS question.

Can you build your own computer? If you can and you are a tinkerer, you probably want a MAME setup. DIY for ($500-unlimited) --> Cost really depends on Cabinet+ PC specs + controller intricacy.

Can you plug in a JAMMA board and test a switching power supply? If you can, and you understand how to wire an arcade control panel up, then a 60-in-1 might be the way to go. DIY for ($400-$800).

I have made 3 MAME cabinets and 5 multicades. I actually prefer the 60-in-1 and it ends up being much less hassle and cheaper in the long run.

------>
    I have more recently gone the route of using a PC power supply + LCD with the 60-in-1 JAMMA board.

You can get: LCD($100)
    60-in-1 PCB($60)
    PC power supply ($25)

In at under $200 and all you have left to do is wire up a controller. You can actually go "cosolized" and put the JAMMA board+power in a little box and wire up console controls to the rig and mount the monitor VERTICAL (or find a cheap one that rotates) for right around $225 and some time. I have seen it done over on KLOV many,many times over.

#65 10 years ago

If you want a Multicade, high end on these is $600. I actually put these together using the 60-in-1 boards just for fun, and have yet to sell one for more than $500. Takes a lot of time to convert the old gutted cabinet, mount and hook everything up properly, making sure it plays right, etc. Very simple - there's no PC to configure and they just work. Is emulation good - no. Is it fun - yes. Would I recommend getting the better board from Phoenix Arcade - absolutely. But at 6x the cost of a 60-in-1 it's tough to swallow. If you really want it, $600 would be fair for this IMHO.

#66 10 years ago

Like snyper mentions, you need to know what you want.

Building and maintaining a mame cab is yet another sub-culture in the arcade hobby. There are a million approaches to a project and the BYOAC forum is the place to read about such projects. Amazing stuff out there. But a DIY project can be time-consuming. I got into the collecting aspect of the arcade hobby by researching mame cabs and have yet to build one.

Instead, I bought dedicated cabs with multi-game boards. I wanted to play the games I enjoyed as a kid in the same format they were introduced to us. Not on glowing Franken-panel, giant LCD'd pedestal (btw, games with more than 2 players don't need 6 buttons for p3 and p4). Space and time is limited in my world and I also want tangible nostalgic experience.

60-in-1 boards are cheap. No, they're not perfect and the sounds is terrible on a few games but the games play just fine, imho, and relatively easy to set-up but still takes time to build the proper power supply. Depends on the cab you're starting with.

My Ms. Pac cab has a custom control panel w/ custom overlay, two re-conditioned leaf-switch buttons on either side of the 4/8-way MagStik+ joystick and new trackball unit. The monitor is an original, burn-free G07 crt, recapped/re-flybacked with a deluxe kit from Bob Roberts ... because I can't stand the overly sharp look of LCD/VGA. The power centre is completely rebuilt with all new components (filter, transformer, switching power supply, wiring, etc.). Done right, this is not a $300 machine. Made custom panels for a Centi and Pac as well.

Sure, the ArcadeSD from PhoenixArcade might be a better board, especially using a 49-way or ServoStik from Ultimarc but it's $325 US ($340 CAD not incl shipping ($30+)) and still suffers from a few bugs. And it doesn't have 1942 yet.

My other multi-cabs are :
    - Joust w/ 19-in-1

- Neo Geo MVS-4 (v2) w/ 161-in-1,

- Street Fighter 2:CE (red z-back) w/ 309-in-1 AND a dedicated Hyper Fighting PCB (309 isn't great for newer fighting games emulation, unfortunately). Will be a dedicated fighter mame ... eventually.

- Asteroids is waiting for Cowgill's MultiVector but I also have a ZectorZVG and custom Space Duel CP collecting dust (no Space Duel yet ).

- WTB: NBA Jam ... for a dedicated 4-player Hyperspin mame (X-men, TMNT, Captain America, Spder-man, etc.)

But to answer your question ...

... I say get that DK cab and throw a 60-in-1 in it, have fun and see how it is received. If it goes well and you want more games/better emulation, work on the mame on the side until it's ready.

20131022_153646.jpg20131022_153646.jpg
    20130511_132147.jpg20130511_132147.jpg

20130925_134417.jpg20130925_134417.jpg

#67 10 years ago

When I finish mine I will post some pics. The base of the cab is a converted glass door beer fridge

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from dapperdan24:

I had the arcade bug and was constantly buying and selling trying to get the "perfect" mix of games. Finally, I gave in and sold all of my arcades and bought this...

20131009_163859.jpg 3 MB

Is that an LCD in it or a CRT?? If it is a LCD where did you get a 4:3 one??? All I have been able to find are the widescreen format ones. The widescreen looks like crap in a MAME IMO. It stretches everything out and it's not like playing the original at all.

#69 10 years ago

Is that an LCD in it or a CRT?? If it is a LCD where did you get a 4:3 one??? All I have been able to find are the widescreen format ones. The widescreen looks like crap in a MAME IMO. It stretches everything out and it's not like playing the original at all.

We built one at work with a widescreen. Just made a black frame that covered the sides and set the roms to play at 4:3 aspect ratio. Looks great. Or you can pick up 19" 4:3 aspect LCD's for about $50 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0012MBIJ2/ref=dp_olp_used

#70 10 years ago

It is a CRT. The picture isn't great, but it is from dream home arcades and I LOVE IT!!!

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from dapperdan24:

It is a CRT. The picture isn't great

I think the CRT's look better anyway.

#72 10 years ago

Ha! I meant my photograph isn't great. The CRT looks fantastic

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

$3500 for that monstrosity?!

That's what vid owners say aboot pins

I run Hyperspin and it has 8 gillion games and I don't use it much. I bought a sleek stand for it, monitor attached to wall, that is nice, but moving soon might try to stuff it in an old game cabinet.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

Like snyper mentions, you need to know what you want.
    Building and maintaining a mame cab is yet another sub-culture in the arcade hobby. There are a million approaches to a project and the BYOAC forum is the place to read about such projects. Amazing stuff out there. But a DIY project can be time-consuming. I got into the collecting aspect of the arcade hobby by researching mame cabs and have yet to build one.
    Instead, I bought dedicated cabs with multi-game boards. I wanted to play the games I enjoyed as a kid in the same format they were introduced to us. Not on glowing Franken-panel, giant LCD'd pedestal (btw, games with more than 2 players don't need 6 buttons for p3 and p4). Space and time is limited in my world and I also want tangible nostalgic experience.
    60-in-1 boards are cheap. No, they're not perfect and the sounds is terrible on a few games but the games play just fine, imho, and relatively easy to set-up but still takes time to build the proper power supply. Depends on the cab you're starting with.
    My Ms. Pac cab has a custom control panel w/ custom overlay, two re-conditioned leaf-switch buttons on either side of the 4/8-way MagStik+ joystick and new trackball unit. The monitor is an original, burn-free G07 crt, recapped/re-flybacked with a deluxe kit from Bob Roberts ... because I can't stand the overly sharp look of LCD/VGA. The power centre is completely rebuilt with all new components (filter, transformer, switching power supply, wiring, etc.). Done right, this is not a $300 machine. Made custom panels for a Centi and Pac as well.
    Sure, the ArcadeSD from PhoenixArcade might be a better board, especially using a 49-way or ServoStik from Ultimarc but it's $325 US ($340 CAD not incl shipping ($30+)) and still suffers from a few bugs. And it doesn't have 1942 yet.

1942 is about to arrive on the ArcadeSD. (adaptation is pretty much done; I expect it in the next update.) And I STRONGLY advise against the 60-in-1. Any bugs on the ArcadeSD are minor and still being tweaked. You are stuck with the crappy sound and other issues in the 60-in-1.

But the MAIN reason is simple playability. I have owned a 60-in-1; replaced it with an ArcadeSD. I'm using 8-way leafswitch sticks. But the 60-in-1 does not play nice with 8-way sticks. Movement in games like the pacmans and Bagman would stick in the corners, making those 4-way games unplayable. And there are a lot of 8-way games that need the 8-way stick. Sure, there are various convertible 4-to-8-way sticks, but they are generally a pain or gimmicky. With the ArcadeSD, just use a simple 8-way stick and it plays perfectly for ALL games. The high score memory is just a bonus. Yeah it's more money than the 60-in-1 but you do get a LOT more games, better emulation, uniformly better sound, better control/playability with a regular joystick ongoing bug fixes as needed, and new games being added periodically. Plus it plays many horizontal games in vertical mode, and vice-versa. Well worth the extra $$ IMO in terms of quality, quantity, and features.

Also, the ArcadeSD needs ONLY a single 5V power supply. You can even build a countertop cabinet with a display and controls and an internal outlet box. Plug the monitor and a 5V wall adapter into the outlet, wire up the monitor and controls to a jamma connector (or plug the monitor directly into the VGA connector), and you're good to go!

#75 10 years ago

You guys ever eat mushrooms & play this game?

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

» YouTube video

No, Major Havoc or nothing! (Well maybe Black Tiger)

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No, Major Havoc or nothing! (Well maybe Black Tiger)

Playing Arkonoid while playing another game is legit

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from u2sean:

If you want a Multicade, high end on these is $600. I actually put these together using the 60-in-1 boards just for fun, and have yet to sell one for more than $500. Takes a lot of time to convert the old gutted cabinet, mount and hook everything up properly, making sure it plays right, etc. Very simple - there's no PC to configure and they just work. Is emulation good - no. Is it fun - yes. Would I recommend getting the better board from Phoenix Arcade - absolutely. But at 6x the cost of a 60-in-1 it's tough to swallow. If you really want it, $600 would be fair for this IMHO.

That's what I did-- favorite with guests-- I am not a purist-- it's all about the fun factor.

#79 10 years ago

If I'm going Shrooms, or straight acid homie, I, Robot might fit the bill.

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

» YouTube video

HAHAHAHA. I have so many games on mine I haven't even tried that one but it looks awesome! It has Tron recognizers in it.

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Also, the ArcadeSD needs ONLY a single 5V power supply. You can even build a countertop cabinet with a display and controls and an internal outlet box. Plug the monitor and a 5V wall adapter into the outlet, wire up the monitor and controls to a jamma connector (or plug the monitor directly into the VGA connector), and you're good to go!

The 60 in 1 boards only need 5V's as well. Tried this out and it works, but I still prefer to use PC power supplies as I usually get them free, they are internally fused and I use the 12V from the power supply to run LED strips for the marquee lights and get rid of the fluorescent bulbs/ballast/starter.

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

You mean like on a pizza?

Have I ever!

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-multicade-are-they-worth-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.