(Topic ID: 264002)

OT : Heading to Sint Maarten for 9 days

By hoby1

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Leaving out of JFK. Wanted to know your thoughts and if you think its going to be a problem returning. JFK has screening so its an airport that will allow US citizens back even from Europe

Thought guys ?

#2 4 years ago

Personally, I would avoid all unnecessary travel.

I also wouldn't count on being allowed back in considering the official European travel ban currently in effect.

The whole situation is very much in flux, and has been changing hourly.

#3 4 years ago

Even if you where in Europe you can still enter the USA for the next two weeks. There are zero cases of the virus in St Marteen as of right now. Sux because all trip expenses are paid for and total over 4k.

#4 4 years ago

My question is why do people announce long vacations on public forums?

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Long..... this is a short one, We usually go for 12/15 days. . Also..... thank you. I did edit the post without a date.

#6 4 years ago

I had a guy I put a new kitchen in for him too me his granddaughter announced to the world over Facebook
    that they were going on a one week vacation with them.When they got back the house was cleared of valuables

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

And for any would be crooks.... My neighbor is a police officer, we have monitored home security and my parents stay at my place to watch our babies ( the Kittys ). My old man may be old but he carries a 38 and would have no problem planting one between your eyes.

Please lets not make this into a debate.... Im asking for opinion on overseas travel at the present time.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

m asking for opinion on overseas travel

At this point, I would not!

#9 4 years ago

If your plane is taking off today I would go but wait and see what is going on a couple of days before the trip. It seems like protocols are changing every day so travel may be more restricted whenever your trip is scheduled for.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

If your plane is taking off today I would go but wait and see what is going on a couple of days before the trip. It seems like protocols are changing every day so travel may be more restricted whenever your trip is scheduled for.

One thing I like is that where we are going has no reported cases, Im not worried so much about contracting the virus ( god forbid )as we are both fairly heathy people. Its more about getting back into this US.

#11 4 years ago

worst case scenerio you are stuck in st marteen. win win.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

worst case scenerio you are stuck in st marteen. win win.

Ya know....... I was thinking the same thing. Im mid 50s and looking at retirement. Although unexpected Im not sure if it would not be terrible as long as we are on the beach with a few Corona’s.... pun intended.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Leaving out of JFK. Wanted to know your thoughts and if you think its going to be a problem returning. JFK has screening so its an airport that will allow US citizens back even from Europe
    Thought guys ?

Two weeks ago the Dow was at 29000 and Covid19 was 3000 miles away and no events had been cancelled. Now travel restrictions are changing daily and the government is mobilizing. All events have been postponed. Who knows what things will look like in two more weeks...

Personally, I want to be close to home and loved ones right now. You are taking a risk by travelling. If you really need/want to go then I would do a little due diligence to see what would happen if you decide to leave early. Would it be easy to change flights to get back? What happens if you or someone (even a stranger) where you are staying gets sick? What happens if thee Government increases travel restrictions or imposes some kind of quarantine before you can touch American soil. I think we all know that policies are only going to get tighter over the next two weeks, what could that mean for you?

Chances are, none of this will affect your travel plans and safe return. I guess it just depends on how much risk you are willing to take. With airlines and resorts offering very liberal refund/reschedule policies, is there a possibility to mitigate your financial loss?

#14 4 years ago

dude, just go enjoy yourself while the rest of the people are sitting at home fearing for their lives. they are probably the ones that will have a greater chance of catching corona. just wash you hands alot and take the normal precautions on the plane and at the airport.
    post some pics of the bikini clad ladies and the dudes in speedos for the others here.

#15 4 years ago

If you have no others that may need to have you around for a month (children, elderly parents) then go have a good time.

*Is this contagious? Apparently.

*Is this life threatening? To a select few.

*Is this a media hyped event? Without a doubt. However, the results of that hype (quarantine, hoarding, panick, etc) are very real.

Enjoy yourself before the next social correction (9/11 showed how freedoms are lost) occurs.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

If you have no others that may need to have you around for a month (children, elderly parents) then go have a good time.
    *Is this a media hyped event? Without a doubt. However, the results of that hype (quarantine, hoarding, panick, etc) are very real.
    Enjoy yourself before the next social correction (9/11 showed how freedoms are lost) occurs.

Sound words man !!!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

My thoughts too man.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Even if you where in Europe you can still enter the USA for the next two weeks. There are zero cases of the virus in St Marteen as of right now. Sux because all trip expenses are paid for and total over 4k.

Read the Disney thread about the dude who went someplace “with no virus”. Of course he was also on a cruise and then went to Disneyland. It’s a recent post, and a must read for anyone considering getting in an airplane.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Read the Disney thread about the dude who went someplace “with no virus”. Of course he was also on a cruise and then went to Disneyland. It’s a recent post, and a must read for anyone considering getting in an airplane.

Link? Sorry to ask, I looked but couldn’t find it

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from jitneystand1:

Link? Sorry to ask, I looked but couldn’t find it

Quoted from jorge5240:

I posted this in the Disney thread but thought it would interest some here as well.
    I know it is a lot. You can skip to the end for the cliff’s notes.
    So my story starts on February 28th. My wife, my parents and our two boys leave California for Orlando to depart on a Disney Cruise that will take us to Cozumel, Grand Carmen, and Jamaica.
    We board the ship on the 29th and are aware of the virus but are not concerned. At that time I had posted on here many times that virus is really a non issue.
    There is screening to get on the ship and even one group gets turned away because they had been in Japan in the last 14 days. The first night we go to the show and they announce between crew and passengers over 70 countries are represented on board.
    The cruise goes on and we have our fun, also watching the news to see what is going on around the world. The concierge informs us they are bombing the ship nightly with disinfectant and they are cleaning the ship day and night. We continue cruising and having fun.
    Wednesday, my wife gets an email from my son’s school informing us that he will be quarantined for 14 days upon his return because he has been out of the country. I think it is crazy because there are no cases in the area we are cruising and cases in the county we live in California. We call the school and they tell us that if we get a note stating our son does not have corona virus he can go back. We call his doctor’s office and they tell us there is no way they can provide that. They tell us we would have to go to public health. Public health states only to see them if you have symptoms. So I am certainly not taking my healthy son somewhere where there are very sick people. I talk to my wife and parents about extending our stay in Orlando upon our return and going to Disney world for a few days because we have never been. We discuss it and all agree to do so.
    On March 7th we finally disembark the ship and take the hour ride to Disneyworld. Everyone is pretty excited. We finally arrive, and it is very crowded. We spend the day in Epcot and my mom seems very quiet. My mom sometimes gets like that when she is uncomfortable. My dad actually is a little pissed because he thinks she is upset we went and the park is too busy. My parents end up going back to the hotel early. We stay and do some rides and make the best out of the crowds. I mean it is Epcot on a Saturday what do you expect?
    Sunday we wake up and go to Magic Kingdom. My mom is super quiet. She says she feels kind of off. About 1PM my mom and dad decide to go back to the hotel and rest. We stay and ride a couple rides, park is obviously super crowded. Finally we get back to the hotel around 9PM. My dad says my mom has gone straight to bed when she arrived and that she has a fever.
    We wake up Monday morning and my mom is not feeling well. She still has a fever and has now added chills and an uncontrollable cough. My dad stays with my mom and I take my wife and boys to animal Kingdom. My dad tries to get my mom to go to urgent care but she is an incredibly stubborn worman and resists. She has another day of the same symptoms, with them progressing throughout the day. We arrive back late in the evening and go to bed. We are in a one bed room suite and I can hear my mom coughing uncontrollably throughout the night. The driest, painful cough I have ever heard.
    Finally we wake up Tuesday morning and my mom is toast. She can’t move barely can talk. I am scared shitless. She is still coughing uncontrollably, but now has added vomiting and diarrhea. We finally convince her that she needs to go to the doctor. She says she has to get ready before going, again very stubborn proud woman. She tries to get out of bed for over an hour but can’t manage to do so. She is just too weak. Everyone at this point is freaking out. Finally I have had enough and call 911!
    The EMTs arrive in about 15 minutes. They are in full hazmat gear, shields over there faces and plastics over all their clothes.They say they really don’t know what to do. They take my mom’s vitals and her temp comes back at 100.8. She is 5’5 and about 105 pounds, so she is pretty frail and has heart issues. The EMTs finish all there tests for vitals and say my mom is stable. They offer her the option of going to the hospital and she refuses. They pack up their hazmat shit and leave.
    We decide since my mom is so frail that the best option is to call private doctor to the room because my mom is just too weak to get to urgent care. At this point I am sure my mom has the flu, my wife and I had it a couple weeks prior and it kicked our asses. At this time my 4 year old also started to have minor fever. He was the only member of our family not to have the flu so it made sense. The private doctor arrives that afternoon very nice. No hazmat gear, just super casual, tells us she has visited two other cruise ship patients earlier in the day and both tested positive for the flu. At this point I am like this sucks but it is the flu. So the doctor takes my mom’s temperature and it is now 102. She tests for the flu and you should have seen the look in that doctor’s eyes when that test came back negative. She tells us immediately that my mom must go to the hospital.
    My mom and dad go to hospital. I stay back with my son that is running the fever. My mom goes into a special room at the hospital. She by passes the lines. No hazmat gear or anything like that. The doctor’s start running tests. They tell my dad it is some type of infection. After running some more tests they say she has pneumonia and that she is free to leave the hospital.
    My parents finally return from the hospital at 12:30 in morning and my son is now coughing uncontrollably and burning up. We are planning on leaving that Wednesday and fly back to California. Even though the hospital told my mom that she was free to fly, she was just too weak. My wife and I are stressing if we would be let on the plane because my son obviously has a pretty intense fever. Finally on Wednesday I say good bye to my parents and head to the airport. No one looks or cares that my son has a fever or is coughing uncontrollably. We board the plane and head for California.
    Thursday we wake up and I call my dad. My mom is still very weak. No way she can fly. We are having problems getting her meds for her heart because we had extended our trip and she had only brought a few days extra of pills. Finally that gets squared away. I tell my wife we should take my son to the doctor because he still has fever and uncontrollable cough. They ask if we have been out of country and we go through the whole drill. They tell us to bring him in. They see my son and tell us that he has um “a virus”. They say take him home and if he still has the fever on Saturday to bring him back.
    Meanwhile my parents are still in Florida and I hear that Disney is closing Disneyland. I call my dad and tell him they got to get the hell out of there because Disneyworld is going to be next. My mom is still super weak. He books the air flight for Friday.
    Today my parents head to the airport, my mom is still coughing uncontrollably and is very weak. The plane is delayed and has mechanical issue. After two hours the plane finally takes off and hopefully my parents will arrive soon from the trip from hell.
    My dad now has fallen ill and my wife and I feel off. I don’t know if our symptoms will worsen or it will just pass.
    I left for this trip with complete faith in our medical system. Maybe that was naive but that is how I felt. After this whole experience, I feel no one has any idea what they are doing or how to handle the situation.
    My whole family had:
    Been on a cruise ship
    Been out of the country
    Had flulike symptoms
    Tested negative for flu
    And was allowed to fly and roam freely without any Coronavirus testing.
    I am not saying we have Coronavirus or not but we were not quarantined, visited theme parks and flew on air planes and were told it was fine to do so by medical professionals.
    After my experience the virus is everywhere and probably has already infected hundreds of thousands of people but I guess we will find out.

#21 4 years ago

Where do you connect through to and from St Marteen?

FWIW I'm cutting short a two week stay in the UK (work related) so that I don't risk a hassle flying home at the end of the week IF the US adds the UK to its list. That's because a few days later I would expect flight cancellations until the airline reaches its new normal for daily traffic.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

FWIW I'm cutting short a two week stay in the UK (work related) so that I don't risk a hassle flying home at the end of the week IF the US adds the UK to its list. That's because a few days later I would expect flight cancellations until the airline reaches its new normal for daily traffic.

My concern would be flying for one. And then going to a place that, if popular, attracts people from all over the world. That’s for contracting it.

Then, for two, I’d be concerned about giving to others, especially older people.

It’s really a decision individuals need to make on their own. But my opinion is that people should social distance and avoid this type of travel,

#23 4 years ago

We fly out of JFK and its a direct flight.

#24 4 years ago

UK has been added to the list

#25 4 years ago

OP, if you have to ask, you already know what the answer is. $4000 or you/your families’/your communities lives. Hmmmm.....

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

OP, if you have to ask, you already know what the answer is. $4000 or you/your families’/your communities lives. Hmmmm.....

I think thats over reacting. Will it get you sick yes....... but to a heathy person not much worst than a regular flu.

#27 4 years ago

I think, personally, you'd be insane to go on vacation right now. Especially leaving the country. But do what you think is right. It seems like you had your mind made up before you started this thread so not sure why you asked us.

I mean, I guess you were hoping for a little positive reinforcement from guys like Robotron who have zero skin in the game, well you got it. Why not ask your doctor, or contact local health officials and see what they have to say about it? I wouldn't be making any serious decisions that affect my family or my community based upon what rando Pinsiders think.

#28 4 years ago

What about the other people you give it to who might not be as healthy? If you go ,self-quarantine for 14 days should be good .

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

What about the other people you give it to who might not be as healthy? If you go ,self-quarantine for 14 days should be good .

Give what to..... There are zero cases in St Marteen. I have more of a chance of contracting it at my job dealing with our clients and customers. As for the money we can get it all in credit for our next trip ( we take 3 a year ) . Its what me and my wife live for, we travel. Think I will play it out and if we see if the situation gets worst or if issues on occur on the island then we will change.

But judging by the situation at this point it time I think we will keep our plans . We can always change our mind within a few days of leaving. They way we are looking at it ....... who's to say the situation won't be much worst in 6 months.

#30 4 years ago

I'll actually own a bar there very soon

Really enjoy the island....( and go often)

My work ( hospital) has restricted travel, so no choice for me..

Personally, I wouldn't currently because of the fluid situation travel and health wise, but you do you...safe travels...

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Really enjoy the island....
    Personally, I wouldn't currently because of the fluid situation travel and health wise, but you do you...safe travels...

Let me know when that bars open brother.... we'll be right there to support the cause. May be the first spot on the island with a pinball machine right .

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Really enjoy the island....( and go often)

How many pins will you have there? Good Luck with your new business.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Let me know when that bars open brother.... we'll be right there to support the cause. May be the first spot on the island with a pinball machine right .

Lol...already open and has a great location...

No worries pinbud...I'll definitely post some stuff on here once final ink dries...very soon actually...ironic I saw this post...

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Lol...already open and has a great location...
    No worries pinbud...I'll definitely post some stuff on here once final ink dries...very soon actually...ironic I saw this post...

Please let me know the name and address so we can stop by.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

How many pins will you have there? Good Luck with your new business.

In truth, haven't sorted that, as it's directly on the boardwalk..

No worries though..the house Im looking at is within 10 minutes up on a hill..plenty of room and safety for pins....can easily drink away, and make it up the hill to play...

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

In truth, haven't sorted that, as it's directly on the boarkwalk..
    No worries though..the house Im looking at is within 10 minutes up on a hill..plenty of room and safety for pins....can easily drink away, and make it up the hill to play...

If you will be renting rooms and they are all updated we will definitely look to rent. It will be our sixth time on the island and we usually always stay in Simpson Bay.

#37 4 years ago

I’d look at it this way - it will still be there next year. Yup - loosing money stings, but I’d rather be out 4K vs. getting stuck there, especially if an outbreak occurs there. It’s a beautiful place. I’ve been there a few times. Still will be there when all of this calms down.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from adborto:

I’d look at it this way - it will still be there next year. Yup - loosing money stings, but I’d rather be out 4K vs. getting stuck there, especially if an outbreak occurs there. It’s a beautiful place. I’ve been there a few times. Still will be there when all of this calms down.

Would not be losing any money except our JFK parking. 150 bucks.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

If you will be renting rooms and they are all updated we will definitely look to rent. It will be our sixth time on the island and we usually always stay in Simpson Bay.

PM sent...dont want to jinx the house deal putting it out there just yet...

#40 4 years ago

In my opinion, ANY unnecessary travel especially outside of the good ole USA right now is crazy. Simply nuts. I am a mixed ride money as much as anyone else but screw the $4k. Not worth it big time. Travel restrictions to/from the UK and Ireland have just changed and we’re looking at possible domestic travel restrictions. Really not a great time to leave in my opinion

#41 4 years ago

No f’n way. You would be out of the country. If shit hits the fan there, do you think you would be a priority? No way. Been there, its lovely. But no modern medical to speak of.

#42 4 years ago

Sorry missed that! I would stay home. Not worth it. Even if this does not harm healthy people.

Wait, I just remembered the beach at Orient Bay. Yup, I’d go! I needed to introduce some humor.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from adborto:

Sorry missed that! I would be stay home. Not worth it. Even if this does not harm healthy people. Wait, I just remembered the beach at Orient Bay. Yup, I’d go!

My favorite is Mullet bay.... love it there

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

My favorite is Mullet bay.... love it there

Business in the front of the bay and a party in the back of it? Sorry

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

In my opinion, ANY unnecessary travel especially outside of the good ole USA right now is crazy. Simply nuts. I am a mixed ride money as much as anyone else but screw the $4k. Not worth it big time. Travel restrictions to/from the UK and Ireland have just changed and we’re looking at possible domestic travel restrictions. Really not a great time to leave in my opinion

Very informative. Id go and I am going. What's the other option? Standing in line for toilet paper? Why on earth would I want to stay in this infected country when I can go somewhere and relax and take a break from the constant bullshit the media is throwing out? Heaven forbid you get stuck in paradise for a few extra days!

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Very informative. Id go and I am going. What's the other option? Standing in line for toilet paper? Why on earth would I want to stay in this infected country when I can go somewhere and relax and take a break from the constant bullshit the media is throwing out? Heaven forbid you get stuck in paradise for a few extra days!

If you can get the virus in Okotoks what makes you think you cant get it in St. Marteen or the airport or plane? Coming back to Canada you will have a 14 day time out. Lots of moving parts but hey I hope things work out on your trip.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

If you can get the virus in Okotoks what makes you think you cant get it in St. Marteen or the airport or plane? Coming back to Canada you will have a 14 day time out. Lots of moving parts but hey I hope things work out on your trip.

Exactly my argument, why would I sit in my house and wait to get sick when I can go to the DR and relax. I work on cars, 15-20 a day, I touch everything personal on a vehicle that the owner does, my chances are 100x worse getting the virus at work than in the DR with 5 reported cases, all from people arriving. No time out here, if my work decides I cant come back, 2 weeks paid by them. Besides, that's just a stupid idea, they cant enforce it.

#48 4 years ago

Further, I have no issues taking my kids with us, there school has already had 2 kids confirmed. Guess I should not send them on Monday?

#49 4 years ago

I'm hoping things work out for you and your family if you do go, i mean that honestly. Sorry if I didn't phrase my post more accurately.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

I'm hoping things work out for you and your family if you do go, i mean that honestly. Sorry if I didn't phrase my post more accurately.

No worries at all.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-heading-to-st-marteen-for-9-days and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.