3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by 85vett
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

vpi_(resized).jpg
    image2_(resized).JPG
    image5_(resized).JPG
    image3_(resized).JPG
    image1_(resized).JPG
    Dodge_Viper_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I know this is a pinball forum but I recall there are several current/previous viper owners on the message board so I figured I'd post a thread here.

I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a G2 GTS (96-02) Viper. I've always wanted one and I'm now in a place to where I can afford one. I'd really like to find a mid mileage car (40-50K miles) that's been well maintained. I'm looking at this range due to budget of only wanting to spend around $35K. Basically, I'm not looking to buy someones old race car nor a garage queen. This car will be well loved and will be driven frequently when the weather is nice. Will not be a daily driver.

Does anyone have any tips on what to look out for with buying a G2 Viper outside of the normal used car items?

I went and checked out this car - http://www.texascarspot.com/inventory/view/9056479/1998-Dodge-Viper-GTS-Coupe-Austin-TX#c-additional-photos I was able to get them down to $36K but that felt high for the mileage and the TLC it needed (several interior panels needed to be replaced, needs new rear tires and the steering was lose). The fact it had Nitrious used on it too (wasn't disclosed in the add) also got me concerned.

If you know of any leads or have one you've been considering selling please let me know. I'm not really looking for doing any trades but I may be open to partial trades of a machine or 2 plus cash for the right car. Also, if you think I'm SOL with finding a well maintained G2 with mid miles for mid $30's let me know as well. I've been watching the pricing and it seems like that is about the average market price right now for them but I only have a handful of cars that I've seen sell.

#2 3 years ago

stay away from anything that is supercharged. that motor gets a intake plenum distribution issue when they get supercharged and then leans out on #3 or #4( i cant remember been a few years) . that piston then leans out really bad , starts to get bad detonation and pounds out the bearing on the rod and grenades the motor.

#3 3 years ago

Appreciate the advice. I have no interest in supercharged or N2O cars. I'd really like to pick up a mid mileage stock car if at all possible. I'm reading parts are starting to be an issue as well for G2's.

#4 3 years ago

All depends on the SC type, boost & tune...and of course the owner. I had a Gen 1 with a Roe on it for awhile, small pulley and a VEC to manage it all, was awesome and reliable. In fact so easy to add & remove, no one would ever know it was SC'd if It wasnt disclosed.

I have always wanted a 97 GTS blue and white, came close a few times, but with the market on Vipers being so soft you should find something nice if you are willing to step up a bit. Check VCA & Viper alley, most deals on decent cars appear there first.

#5 3 years ago

I owned a 96 GTS for 8 years. Fantastic car that will kill you! It breaks away easy, like the rear wants to get out ahead of you.
    $36K is exactly right for high milage. There were a few factory recalls on the front and rear that should have been done.

Power window switch gave out on me, took a month to find on the web. Replaced a side pass window motor too.
    I kept it happy with fluid changes every 2 years, did alot of car shows and won a few times.

Ask anyhting you may, I'll help best I can.

Dodge_Viper_(resized).jpg

#6 3 years ago

Appreciate it and sure wish you had that car still. The 96 and 97 blue with white cars are my ideal version.

I was thinking of going to look at this car but am not real sure about a car with such low mileage. I'm planning on driving the car 3K+ miles a year and I'd hate to devalue a low mileage car that much not to mention I'm concerned with things giving out prematurely if I start driving a garage queen so often.

I hear the vipers are actually built pretty well (windows being a weak link) though. I'm not afraid to work on one either so hopefully that helps. Would you suggest I just wait for a 40-50K mileage car knowing my intended use? I'd really like to be at $35K after TT&L for one. I don't want to buy a cheap one and have to dump $5K in it to get it to as reliable as a $40K one though.

#7 3 years ago

What would you value this car at? Has a salvage title due to the accident in the pic. $13K miles. Seems like a real nice car and the guy (from a Viper forum) seems real nice too. I'm a bit concerned with the salvage title though unless the price is real good. Don't want to buy it for mid 30's and loss my butt on it if I had to sell it in a couple of years. It's an 02.

image1_(resized).JPG

image3_(resized).JPG

image5_(resized).JPG

image2_(resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #8 3 years ago

Bought one yesterday (deposit paid) and am picking it up Sat. had to up my budget a bit but got it for just a smidge under $40K with only 14K miles on it.

vpi_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside