• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2019-08-30 20.37.59 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20190814_204358 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190814_202913 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shredso.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

It's been awhile since I built a computer. I've been building computers for 20 years. Even if I don't save a bunch of money, I enjoy the assembly and knowing the components are quality. I don't really do too much PC gaming anymore, or any gaming for that matter. My computers do trickle down to a virtual pinball and a MAME once they are filtered out from the main PC. Any suggestions on this build? I'd really like to knock a couple hundred bucks off. MA is tax free this weekend so I would like to take advantage. Yes, this is totally overkill, but I don't care. I want a screaming fast relatively future proof PC. I tend to go with the latest CPU/MOBO and slack a little on the GPU because it's easily upgradable and most of my limited gaming is on my Xbox.

Ryzen 9 3900x
Aorus Master X570
Corsair Dominator Platimun 32GB
Gigabyte Aorus 1TB
XFX RX 5700
Noctua NH-D15
Thermaltake v200
Corsair HX1000

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from PinBuck:

Looks pretty good to me. I doubt you'll use those 12 cpu cores, but doesn't look like you're sacrificing any speed. 32GB of memory seems like overkill, but you're under $1500 so doesn't seem like a huge expense. I don't personally like reference design AMD cards with the blower design (hot and loud, usually) so I would wait for a better cooled partner card, which seems like they're about ready to be released. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-pulse-radeon-rx-5700-xt-amd-navi-review,6276.html
Congrats on the new build!

It's not under $1,500, closer to 2k. I was wondering where people would suggest skimming a little. Sounds like you think I could get away with 16GB RAM (easily future upgradable) and possibly a cheaper CPU.

#14 4 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Seems like everyone agrees the CPU is overkill. I'll mess around with some builds using the Ryzen 7, 16GB of ram and a 500GB SSD. I omitted the second hard drive because I have one. I omitted the OS because I have a license that it unused. I know it's not as easy as it used to be to move licenses around, I'll probably end up buying another in the end. Peripherals are good, just bought 2 nice 4k monitors. Thanks for the reminder about pcpartpicker. I used that for my last build years ago and forgot about it. I'll post something later after I make some adjustments.

#15 4 years ago

I know I said I'd ditch the CPU, but I was able to get it in my budget. What do you guys think of this one?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QVcGvn

#16 4 years ago

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QVcGvn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($159.89 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $1518.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-14 20:27 EDT-0400

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Make sure sure you get the Mid tower of that case. The full tower is Huuuuugge.

No problem with the large video cards and a mid tower case?

#22 4 years ago

Well, I got a few extra bucks today and I've had a few drinks. I think I'm pulling the trigger on this when tax free starts at midnight in MA. There are a few components I found cheaper, so knock at least $100 off that price. I know it's overkill in a few spots but for $2-300 more to have the latest it's worth it to me.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ytTqYT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($194.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1748.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-16 22:40 EDT-0400

2 weeks later
#25 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

So how did you make due?

It's up and running. So far so good. I haven't really loaded anything on it yet to push the limit. I should have some time over the next 3 days to fiddle with it. I did already accidentally toss a box with a UPC for a stupid rebate. Also, somehow bought 2 motherboards. I should have taken a picture before I tucked it under the desk.

Any suggestions on a game that might push the limit a little? I have an Xbox One X and typically prefer to play games with the big screen and surround sound.

#27 4 years ago

Tough to get a good pic while it's in place. The cpu fan is a monster. I could have probably went with a shorter case, but certainly not a more narrow case. The case may be a bit bulky, but cable management is fantastic. The side window is cool, but I can't see it anyway.

2019-08-30 20.37.59 (resized).jpg2019-08-30 20.37.59 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shredso.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-computer-build-for-around-1500?tu=Shredso and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.