9 days ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Shredso
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190814_204358 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190814_202913 (resized).jpg

#1 9 days ago

It's been awhile since I built a computer. I've been building computers for 20 years. Even if I don't save a bunch of money, I enjoy the assembly and knowing the components are quality. I don't really do too much PC gaming anymore, or any gaming for that matter. My computers do trickle down to a virtual pinball and a MAME once they are filtered out from the main PC. Any suggestions on this build? I'd really like to knock a couple hundred bucks off. MA is tax free this weekend so I would like to take advantage. Yes, this is totally overkill, but I don't care. I want a screaming fast relatively future proof PC. I tend to go with the latest CPU/MOBO and slack a little on the GPU because it's easily upgradable and most of my limited gaming is on my Xbox.

Ryzen 9 3900x
Aorus Master X570
Corsair Dominator Platimun 32GB
Gigabyte Aorus 1TB
XFX RX 5700
Noctua NH-D15
Thermaltake v200
Corsair HX1000

#2 9 days ago
Quoted from Shredso:

It's been awhile since I built a computer. I've been building computers for 20 years. Even if I don't save a bunch of money, I enjoy the assembly and knowing the components are quality. I don't really do too much PC gaming anymore, or any gaming for that matter. My computers do trickle down to a virtual pinball and a MAME once they are filtered out from the main PC. Any suggestions on this build? I'd really like to knock a couple hundred bucks off. MA is tax free this weekend so I would like to take advantage. Yes, this is totally overkill, but I don't care. I want a screaming fast relatively future proof PC. I tend to go with the latest CPU/MOBO and slack a little on the GPU because it's easily upgradable and most of my limited gaming is on my Xbox.
Ryzen 9 3900x
Aorus Master X570
Corsair Dominator Platimun 32GB
Gigabyte Aorus 1TB
XFX RX 5700
Noctua NH-D15
Thermaltake v200
Corsair HX1000

Looks pretty good to me. I doubt you'll use those 12 cpu cores, but doesn't look like you're sacrificing any speed. 32GB of memory seems like overkill, but you're under $1500 so doesn't seem like a huge expense. I don't personally like reference design AMD cards with the blower design (hot and loud, usually) so I would wait for a better cooled partner card, which seems like they're about ready to be released. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-pulse-radeon-rx-5700-xt-amd-navi-review,6276.html

Congrats on the new build!

#3 9 days ago
Quoted from PinBuck:

Looks pretty good to me. I doubt you'll use those 12 cpu cores, but doesn't look like you're sacrificing any speed. 32GB of memory seems like overkill, but you're under $1500 so doesn't seem like a huge expense. I don't personally like reference design AMD cards with the blower design (hot and loud, usually) so I would wait for a better cooled partner card, which seems like they're about ready to be released. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-pulse-radeon-rx-5700-xt-amd-navi-review,6276.html
Congrats on the new build!

It's not under $1,500, closer to 2k. I was wondering where people would suggest skimming a little. Sounds like you think I could get away with 16GB RAM (easily future upgradable) and possibly a cheaper CPU.

#4 9 days ago

The HX750 is on sale (after rebate) for $119.99, so that would save you $80. A 1000w power supply really isn't necessary unless you're throwing a in pile of HDDs and running a few GPUs.

I'm with PinBuck on the use of the CPU cores. Most desktop users never exceed 4 cores, let alone 8 cores. You can save another $160 by going with a Ryzen 7 3700X. Speeds between the two are virtually identical until you get into the multi mixed core numbers, which would help if you were using it in a server and doing both floating point and integer operations at the same time (which you most likely aren't based on your use case above). You might have to wait a little for the Ryzen 7 to come back in stock at the $329 price point. It appears to be back ordered right now for some reason.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/4043vs4044

You can save another $120 by going with an AMD Vega 56 instead of the RX 5700. Once again, they are both very similar in benchmarks and NewEgg just happens to have a promo code (EMCTDUW26) for the Vega along with a rebate.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-vega-56-rx-vega-56-air-boost-8g-oc/p/N82E16814137263

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-Vega-56-vs-AMD-RX-5700/3938vs4046

For the price of that Noctura (which is freakin' huge!), you might want to look at a water cooler for the CPU. Looks like the Corsair H100x has a rebate and is $79.99. It's listed as 240mm, which appears to be compatible with a top mount on your case from what I'm reading. It only saves you $10 though.

https://www.newegg.com/p/2KY-001T-00027

You also appear to have forgotten an OS in your list.

With all that said, I briefly looked at compatibility with the components I mentioned above, so do your due diligence before ordering. I didn't go through things in detail like I would have if I was building one.

#5 9 days ago

pcpartspicker.com great site to see if your components will fit and or compatible . My build is here . Close to your price range because I got my 1080ti for 600 from an ebay seller NIB which is a 1000 dollar card .. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/rckrazed/builds/

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/fVRJ7P

#6 9 days ago

THE CPU is overkill for sure if you don't intend to do any gaming or graphics work. You are essentially putting money in a computer that you could use towards others things like pinball This configuration goes under the assumption that you wont overclock and push the computer to it's limits.

Ryzen 7 3800X -$399
ASUS Prime X470-Pro - $159
Samsung 970 Evo 500GB - $119
WD Black 1TB - $61
Corsair Obsidian - $159 (by far the best case you will ever buy)
Cooler Master Hyper 212X - $54
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 ZT-P10620A-10M (6GB DDR5) - $209
CORSAIR RMx Series RM750x - $129
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) -$159

Total: $1448

My rationale:
The CPU - If you are not going to take advantage of the power then there is no sense in buying it.

The motherboard are relitivaly all the same, what you really want is an NVME port

There is no reason to buy a 1 TB nvme drive. I would buy a 500GB version and use it to run the OS etc and then use a regular hard drive to use as backup. Or have an even smakler drive for the OS, a second nvme and a regular drive

The case is meant for ventilation

This fan is more than enough, Noctua is a brand name, you are paying for the name. Yes their reputation is bar none but there are cheaper options that work just as well

Video Card - Again if you wont be gaming like a mad man there is no sense in getting a super card

At any rate. My 2 cents.

Buy a nice monitor with the money you would save.

Note: I haven't really looked at compatibility for all the configuration.

#7 9 days ago

I've been in IT for decades and previously always built my own PC's. These days, I just go to the Dell Outlet website and get a great deal on a fully capable machine for whatever use I plan at a substantial discount with full warranty.

#8 8 days ago

If you are at all interested in a Vega card as Spyder suggested, I have a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64, which is the best performing Vega card out there just lying around that I could give you a good deal on. It's only been used for about 7 months. Just let me know if interested

#9 8 days ago

Totally agree with flashinstinct. Processor and motherboard are overkill. I get you are trying to be future proof but you probably won't notice a downgrade unless doing serious stuff. I also don't think expensive, huge aftermarket fans are really necessary and sometimes create problems. There can be issues with space with some cases and parts like big video cards. Mechanical drives are so cheap you should at least have one installed as 2nd drive. Store all the stuff that takes up a lot of space that is not accessed often on those.

Don't forget to factor in costs of software and peripherals if you need them.

#10 8 days ago

I also have 32GB of ram, but I am using half of it as a RAM disk so temporary files don't put any writes on the hard drives. It was part of my mobo's software suite.

If you're not overclocking, the stock CPU cooler is fine. Use Arctic Silver thermal paste and you're good.

#11 8 days ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Don't forget to factor in costs of software and peripherals if you need them.

$100 for Windows is often overlooked. If you work for a school, university, or are a student, you can probably get a copy for free/cheap. Not everyone has this luxury though.

#12 8 days ago

To reitterate an earlier member, PC parts picker is your friend. They have tons of builds by them and users, gives you links to best deals, confirms all compatibility with parts, etc. I built one last xmas for my kid....a gaming computer.

#13 8 days ago

Don't buy anything without looking through the recent posts here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

#14 8 days ago

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Seems like everyone agrees the CPU is overkill. I'll mess around with some builds using the Ryzen 7, 16GB of ram and a 500GB SSD. I omitted the second hard drive because I have one. I omitted the OS because I have a license that it unused. I know it's not as easy as it used to be to move licenses around, I'll probably end up buying another in the end. Peripherals are good, just bought 2 nice 4k monitors. Thanks for the reminder about pcpartpicker. I used that for my last build years ago and forgot about it. I'll post something later after I make some adjustments.

#15 8 days ago

I know I said I'd ditch the CPU, but I was able to get it in my budget. What do you guys think of this one?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QVcGvn

#16 8 days ago

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QVcGvn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($159.89 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $1518.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-14 20:27 EDT-0400

#17 8 days ago

Make sure sure you get the Mid tower of that case. The full tower is Huuuuugge.

#18 8 days ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Make sure sure you get the Mid tower of that case. The full tower is Huuuuugge.

No problem with the large video cards and a mid tower case?

#19 8 days ago

Dude, two 4k monitors will kill a single video card if you play any games unless you like playing at 25 fps. Just be aware of that.

Dont assume your case will hold some of these cards, check the specs.

#20 8 days ago

Corsair 750D. My card is over 11.5" long. Since you won't add multiple drives there should be room. Mine is liquid cooled so I have 2 fans in the front. 1 in the back and 2 at the top. This case is a monster.
IMG_20190814_204358 (resized).jpg

#21 8 days ago

You have the right one I thought for a second you were getting the 900D

#22 6 days ago

Well, I got a few extra bucks today and I've had a few drinks. I think I'm pulling the trigger on this when tax free starts at midnight in MA. There are a few components I found cheaper, so knock at least $100 off that price. I know it's overkill in a few spots but for $2-300 more to have the latest it's worth it to me.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ytTqYT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($194.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1748.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-16 22:40 EDT-0400

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 72.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 299.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 6.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 19.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 115.00
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 89.99
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 199.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 149.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside