2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 213 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by emkay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 31 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download (resized).jpg
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
2017_audi_a5_sportback_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_5452 (resized).JPG
IMG_4992 (resized).JPG
Swimming car (resized).JPG
8713986570_8f3c25a211_o (resized).jpg
8712871355_c1a6c350a0_o (resized).jpg
9459396209_fdff1982f1_o (resized).jpg
IMG_1002 (resized).JPG
IMG_2479 (resized).JPG
IMG_2280 (resized).JPG
IMG_1702 (resized).JPG
IMG_2071 (resized).JPG
IMG_0266 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20170402-081413 (resized).png

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 2 years ago

My wife drives a Q7

I hate the dealership

Customer service sucks compared to my other cars

Just had to replace the battery. This is after the special $2500 brake job because local mechanic can't do it

The car battery is UNDER the drivers seat!!!

Either pull the seat out yourself or do the $500 dealer replace

Of course the battery caused other issues $1300 later

#2 2 years ago

What year is that Q7?

#3 2 years ago

owwdi

#4 2 years ago

Gonna have to hear the battery's version of the story before I thumb up or down.

#5 2 years ago

Had 9 Audi's , all leases , never a problem. ( both R8s were purchases) . All were under warranty. Dealership here
is great sorry to hear yours isn't .

#6 2 years ago

They put a battery under the drivers ass? What dumbass at Audi thought of this one?!

#7 2 years ago

Audi owner. 6 years. Love the car. Love the dealership. Planning on buying the new S6 cab when out.

sorry to hear about your experience op

#8 2 years ago

$2500 brake job??? Damn Im in the wrong business. I have a TT and yes it has its issues, but love the car. Man $2500 brake job...

#9 2 years ago

German cars are great to lease. Would never own one... Nice cars though, just stupid expensive to fix and need fixing more often.

#10 2 years ago

Your lucky. My German car starts with a P and my last bill started with an 8.

#11 2 years ago

My LX570 says "haha".

#12 2 years ago

I drive an Infiniti QX80. Love it

And a Jeep Rubicon to mess around in

And old Ford F-150 King ranch to haul shit

The Audi drives great but I've just had a bad experience and won't go back

I mean the battery under the seat?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

German cars are great to lease. Would never own one... Nice cars though, just stupid expensive to fix and need fixing more often.

BMW really expensive after the 4 year warranty is up. Owned M3 lightly used cost me ~$3000 in the first year off warranty before I sold it.

I'll never buy another BMW, may consider a Porsche but maybe not.

#14 2 years ago

Every time I see a QX80 or LX570 I think "look at that dbag" then I think "damn thats super nice tho"

I will only own Japanese cars. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Acura, Lexus, Infiniti... No domestic or European, never.

#15 2 years ago

I mostly own Honda/Acura (Wife and Kids), currently I'm rocking an old Subaru Legacy because it's so cheap, and paid for and it runs great and great in the snow.

I can't bring myself to buy another car until I run the Subi into the ground (I think I'm punishing myself because I lost so much money on the M3)

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Every time I see a QX80 or LX570 I think "look at that dbag" then I think "damn thats super nice tho"
I will only own Japanese cars. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Acura, Lexus, Infiniti... No domestic or European, never.

Korean? New Kia and Hyundai cars are pretty good.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I drive an Infiniti QX80. Love it
And a Jeep Rubicon to mess around in
And old Ford F-150 King ranch to haul shit
The Audi drives great but I've just had a bad experience and won't go back
I mean the battery under the seat?

we've had opposite luck - my wife has that car and its been a complete lemon and the dealer sucks!

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from hool10:

They put a battery under the drivers ass? What dumbass at Audi thought of this one?!

Germans. I build Mercedes and the battery is also under the passenger seat.

#19 2 years ago

funny when I bought my M3 I skipped over Audi due to poor experience with my VW Passat which was a nice car but expensive after 100K miles.

Here is the M3

Throttle actuator = $2000. this breaks all the time after 50M miles, my friend had M3 which engine croaked after 30K miles but was under warranty and it was covered but it would have been $12K or more if not.

$5000 for clutch
$200 Battery
$200 oil change

#20 2 years ago

Starts with P . I thought they started with gas .

#21 2 years ago

A good dealer is a rare creature. Never good when it goes bad as well. It's pretty much to the point for me of a good dealer being one that doesn't make things worse, literally. Both domestic and foreign.

The lease suggestion for expensive german vehicles is a very smart one.

I love many of the german vehicles, on both the luxury and performance front. The Q7 looked good at first glance to me. But not at all with any research (seriously, google and check it out). Take a bit of time to pick the right vehicles and enjoy.

For Audi, me likey the RS7 for example.

#23 2 years ago

My uncle dumped his BMW for the R8 and loves it.

The salesman was a jerk, the service people suck too so that's that.

Quoted from kapper:

we've had opposite luck - my wife has that car and its been a complete lemon and the dealer sucks!

Kind of like pins i guess

#24 2 years ago

That's toi bad, I've had mostly good experience with my Audi A7 and now have my eye on the new S5 sports back. Still, have to say I liked BMW even more (to drive at least, technology wise Audi is quite advanced) but as long as it's an European gotta love it

#25 2 years ago

I would never buy an audi because they are annoying as shit on the road because they set off my fuzz buster all the time. You can stick your audi up your ass. Same goes for Porsche SUV's and escalades. No matter how much money I have in life, not one penny will ever go to any of those.

#26 2 years ago

The inboard batteries have become a thing in the last few years. They've centralized the power source since they'll dial 911 after the airbags deploy. Putting it under the drivers seat instead of the rear passenger footwell is beyond stupid, but just throw that on the mountainous pile of bad decisions VW/Audi make.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

The inboard batteries have become a thing in the last few years. They've centralized the power source since they'll dial 911 after the airbags deploy. Putting it under the drivers seat instead of the rear passenger footwell is beyond stupid, but just throw that on the mountainous pile of bad decisions VW/Audi make.

Thank you. I'm sure they ran the numbers on how much they would make on the battery replacements and decided to put there.

#28 2 years ago

If you're gonna buy a new vehicle, do your homework. Bought a 2016 Tacoma off-road, about a year ago, due to dependability and resale value. The Wrangler was a close second. If I was in the high end market, I'd buy a Lexus. If it were a lease, probably a Mercedes or a BMW.

#29 2 years ago

$2500 brake job.

I could change front pads AND rear shoes 50 times for $2500. Seriously.

#30 2 years ago

Turning rotors or replacing them makes a huge difference in pad wear.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

$2500 brake job.
I could change front pads AND rear shoes 50 times for $2500. Seriously.

LOL at front pads and rear shoes. Do any german cars come with rear shoes anymore?

German cars are considered a premium across the pond, and they also charge a premium; it's a double hit at that point, plus import taxes, etc. (for a gov't snowballing effect).

One can probably do that $2500 Audi brake service for $250 themselves too if one compares apples to apples. Just sayin'.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

My LX570 says "haha".

Just got off the phone with Shell. They said "haha".

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Turning rotors or replacing them makes a huge difference in pad wear.

New rotors for the big car are $25.

#34 2 years ago

full break jobs cost me $75 that's including new rotors.

Deloreans have the battery behind the passenger side seat in a special box area. I've had them bubble up and stink up the car like sulfer. That sucks. Plus the pools of acid all in that compartment was a bitch to clean out.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

LOL at front pads and rear shoes. Do any german cars come with rear shoes anymore?
German cars are considered a premium across the pond, and they also charge a premium; it's a double hit at that point, plus import taxes, etc. (for a gov't snowballing effect).
One can probably do that $2500 Audi brake service for $250 themselves too if one compares apples to apples. Just sayin'.

When my long time mechanic says he can't do it, i would never venture into those waters myself

They have locked themselves into proprietary software and systems that nobody else can do.

So no, I seriously doubt you could do it yourself

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

On my Ford yes, not on these Euro trash cars.

#37 2 years ago

Brakes are so easy to work on, have always done it myself. Master/slave cylinders. Calipers, shoes and pads. Rotors and drums. And by the way, the 2016 tacoma comes with rear drums.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They have locked themselves into proprietary software and systems that nobody else can do.

Ouch. There's the problem right there. They can charge you anything they want.

I changed a water pump in the grocery store parking lot with 1 adjustable wrench and a $2 tube of black sealer.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Deloreans have the battery behind the passenger side seat in a special box area. I've had them bubble up and stink up the car like sulfer. That sucks. Plus the pools of acid all in that compartment was a bitch to clean out.

Its a great spot to hide coke thou!

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Ouch. There's the problem right there.

Except it isn't because it's wrong.

Quoted from iceman44:

When my long time mechanic says he can't do it, i would never venture into those waters myself
So no, I seriously doubt you could do it yourself

No, he's either totally misleading you or totally ignorant.

VCDS is the easily available and pretty much cheap windows-based full controller for VW/Audi/etc cars. http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

It's amazing what can be done with it, top to bottom full control and adjustability for all car systems, and many systems that you have never even heard of if/since you haven't deep dived this topic. For anyone who wants to maximize their VW/Audi car it is totally worth it and frankly cheap, especially if you like to wrench on your own cars or save money. And VCDS is cheap considering the other equivalent variants for the other manufacturers such as GM, Ford, Chrysler/Dodge, MB, etc. Consider it equivalent to a GM Tech 2 tool if you want to compare apples to apples. Hint, A GM tech 2 tool or emulator is not cheap. And a VCDS purchase holds its intrinsic value. One can always sell it easily later to someone else based on its sale model design with minimal loss (think $100 loss for example).

Yes, many newer Audi and VW cars will need some concurrent computer adjustments with significant brake work, but it can be done easily and at home with VCDS and big savings.

Frankly, it is easier to deep dive work on a german car at home at this time than a domestic vehicle. Those equivalent full controller emulators for domestics are notably more expensive, and unfortunately without the proven track record of VCDS.

Not being negative, hoping to help anyone who wants the help. Cheers .

#41 2 years ago

As a Porsche owner...I would advise being able to work on it yourself. No way I could own my '83 928s if I had to pay someone to work on it!

#42 2 years ago

I have a quick fix for European cars, dont like any of them........... over priced to buy, overpriced parts, overpriced service, and no more reliable than most normal cars, quite a few are actually more unreliable.....but thats just me everyone has there own opinion.

images (resized).jpg

vintage-fuel-container-text-french-16025627 (resized).jpg

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from mappy_mouse:

I have a quick fix for European cars, dont like any of them........... over priced to buy, overpriced parts, overpriced service, and no more reliable than most normal cars, quite a few are actually more unreliable.....but thats just me everyone has there own opinion.

but you are over there. So arn't european cars like our fords and chevy's?

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

No way I could own my '83 928s if I had to pay someone to work on it!

I always liked the 928's.

Whatever you do don't lock the keys inside. There is only 1 tool that works and good luck finding someone that has it (besides me).

#45 2 years ago

Never buy a european car without loads of cash on hand to repair. Great cars, but way too complicated, and most require certified and specialy trained mechanics.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but you are over there. So arn't european cars like our fords and chevy's?

No we have a lot of Fords, Holden's (GM), Toyota's, Hyundai, Kia over here, European cars are a "status" or as I call them "wankers car" over here, Aussies love there Holdens and Fords more than anything else.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from mattbot:

Never buy a european car without loads of cash on hand to repair. Great cars, but way too complicated, and most require certified and specialy trained mechanics.

LOL, no. As I mentioned, it depends on the car. Many are similar to domestics, some even easier, but certainly others are not. Before any specific consideration do some research and reading.

#48 2 years ago

BMW sucks...Owned one...just once. Audis are supposedly real good now, but I just never liked their designs. I've had 3 Porsches, one after another, I'll keep buying them till they disappoint me. It hasn't happened in 12 years though.

#49 2 years ago

Half of the fun of boosting a newer car is locating the battery, or the correct boost points. The easiest is the battery in the trunk , unless the car is totally dead, then it is, lift the hood, look for the power posts, go back inside or use the remote to open the trunk, to get to the battery.

Have found car battery locations in some out of the way places.
Between the front bumper and the left front tire.
Under the front passenger seat.
Under the rear seat.
Under the left front carpet, under a foam wedge, in the foot area.
Under the plastic cowl, inner fender cover.

Also, never really understood the GM side posts, less likely to short out a battery across the terminals with a misplaced wrench.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from mappy_mouse:

No we have a lot of Fords, Holden's (GM), Toyota's, Hyundai, Kia over here, European cars are a "status" or as I call them "wankers car" over here, Aussies love there Holdens and Fords more than anything else.

cuz you guys get badass version of things we don't have here. Like the ford Falcon.

bonerfied awesomeness (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 269.99
$ 26.95
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball USA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 34.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 92.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 12.75
There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside