(Topic ID: 235533)

OT: Any Photoshop Element Gurus here?

By PinballFever

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 6.03.02 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 7.09.59 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 11.25.01 PM (resized).png
    Rounded Rectangle (resized).jpg
    Photoshop Elements (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballfever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I've googled this over and over and can't seem to find a way to create a rounded rectangle selection *without* fill.

The rounded rectangle keeps filling in with black color and Stroke (Outline) Selection... under Edit menu is dimmed. I can't click it.

Online it says to use the Custom Shape Tool but the rounded rectangle isn't in the menu under Shapes.

What am I missing here? Is there a way to use the rounded rectangle tool to create what I want with line similiar to stroke instead of filling it in?

#3 5 years ago

Yup, I haven't been able to find a video that tells me how to do it. They keep saying to use simplify then stroke then change opacity from 100% to 0% but the fill is still there? I actually gave up after hours of looking for a way to do this and trying different ways then gave up.

Do you know of any Youtube videos that answer this question and actually work?

See screenshot. The one with lines on the right is the one I want.

Photoshop Elements (resized).jpgPhotoshop Elements (resized).jpg
    #5 5 years ago

I think I'm almost there. The layers menu only has "Simplify Layer" (no "Rasterize" any where) and it changes to a selection after clicking it.

I found instructions under "Expand or contract a selection by a specific number of pixels" and was able to do it once. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/modifying-selections.html

Selection > Modify > Contract Selection... was available but now it's dimmed again when I try to create another rounded rectangle, even after clicking Simplify.

Am I missing a step here to be able to use the Contract Selection... option again?

Screenshot showing the result when I got it to work once.

Rounded Rectangle (resized).jpgRounded Rectangle (resized).jpg
    #7 5 years ago

That does work and it does leave a black outline. Is there a way to make the line a bit thicker like 1 or 2 pixels? It's pretty thin.

Left one is the thickness I'd like if possible. (The left one was scanned from a rubber parts chart for a different game so I can use parts of it to create one for my game) Right one is after I filled it with white from the bucket.

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 11.25.01 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-02-06 at 11.25.01 PM (resized).png
    #10 5 years ago

Thanks, what I did was DELETE after clicking OK instead of ESC and it seems to work and the line thickness is better. What do you think?

Draw your rounded rectangle with the draw tool.
    Simplify the layer
    Select the shape with the Marquee tool (I use Magic Wand tool)
    Go to EDIT/STROKE
    Select OUTSIDE/CENTER/INSIDE for line location around the shape
    Select width and color of line
    Click OK
    (This is where I clicked DELETE)

Do your steps after clicking OK do the same thing?

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 7.09.59 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-02-07 at 7.09.59 PM (resized).png
    #12 5 years ago

That makes sense.

What would be the best way to create a rounded rectangle with angles like the screenshot below? (scanned it from the parts chart I obtained for another game)

Only thing I can think of would be to draw the circles first then use the line tool for the borders to represent the playfield plastics and the posts but there may be a better way to do this?

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 6.03.02 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-02-11 at 6.03.02 PM (resized).png
    #14 5 years ago

I've thought of cutting and pasting from the lines and circles in the old parts chart but I thought it might be easier to create them. I have Word on the PC. How would you use Word do do this? Copy, cut and paste then paste into PE?

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from P2K:

In Photoshop Elements you can use the IMAGE/PERSPECTIVE menu item to get that kind of shape from a rounded rectangle shape. Drag a corner.

I tried IMAGE/TRANSFORM/PERSPECTIVE and it does get that kind of shape from a rounded rectangle shape but it's more of a "Star Wars" kind of perspective where one end appears further away and the lines become thicker nearer you.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

That second drawing would also be easy to make that way too. If you want I'll do that one for you, it'll take 2 seconds. OK not 2 seconds, but it will be easy.

I appreciate the offer. I'm using a photo of the playfield as a guide for the sizes of each plastic and lane guides so it's probably easier for me to do it myself. BTW, the rubber parts chart you created for your Bon Voyage in another thread inspired me to do this, especially because there's no rubber parts chart available for my game.

I didn't know Inkscape was free. Will try it out. I used to use Illustrator years ago but my license is just too old to use.

#20 5 years ago

xsvtoys I'd forgotten how incredibly detailed your BV chart was. I used a rubber rings measurement chart to measure the old rings that were falling off my game and hand drew a rubber parts chart showing the rubber ring and color post locations. Now I'm doing a digital version of this chart using PE.

Btw, I've been switching back and forth between doing this chart and doing a stepper unit tear down cleaning and reassembly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballfever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-any-photoshop-element-gurus-here?tu=pinballfever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.