IMG_7890 (resized).jpg
IMG_7893 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7894 (resized).jpg
forester 3 (resized).jpg
20161112_071616 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Where do you go?

What's your gear?

Any helpful tips you've picked up along the way?

Anyone use a camper or a teardrop?

#2 6 years ago

My family loves camping but can only do it in the summer. We have a 27 ft trailer and usually camp at a really nice Forest Service campground just 15 miles from our house called Lamoille Canyon. The only problem is you need to reserve a spot 4 to 6 months in advance cause it's become popular nation wide. We go up to Sun Valley sometimes. Wish I could go now.

#3 6 years ago

How is that big rig to drive?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

How is that big rig to drive?

No problem at all. I pull my 27ft Komfort trailer with my 2010 Toyota Sequoia . It's no light weight at about 6700 pounds.

#5 6 years ago

Remote part of Louisiana, junction of the Red River and the Black River. Pic taken in Nov a couple years ago. Part of a 62 mile paddle trip down lower portion of Red River and upper part of the Atchafalaya River. Kayak was fully loaded. Glad I didn't tip over on that trip.
I use sleeping pads for comfort when tent camping and always lay a tarp down underneath tent.

20161112_071616 (resized).jpg20161112_071616 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

i like to backpack in and camp, none of that campsite with electricity and running water or camper bs. maybe when im old and fragile

#7 6 years ago

Tried starting a thread in the "club" section:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-great-outdoors-club

But didn't have any takers.

When I was younger/poorer I'd plan a week's vacation around camping. Book a flight/rental car and tent camp my way thru different parts of the country for a week or so. Stayed in a hotel the night before returning home.

Good times, but my back prefers a bed to the ground the older I get.

#8 6 years ago

I always clarify that we go RVing, not camping. I keep notes on all the places we go in the mid-Atlantic and log any pinball machines I come across. Larger campgrounds often have gamerooms. Sometimes there's a pin. Sometimes the pin works. Knoebels is the best RV/pinball destination I've come across. Click...

http://www.jeff-z.com/rv/log/log.html

#9 6 years ago

I’m a backpacker/tent type of camper...my trips will center around a fishing destination, usually one of the mountain lakes around here, in the Wind River Mountains (about a 5-6 hr drive NW of Denver) Sometimes I’ll jeep it to a lake that has trail access and toss up my tent too.
During hunting season, my brother tows a camper up into the mountains, and we’ll use that as a base camp for the week that we’re up there.

#10 6 years ago

I hate camping but my friends camp on my property during the summer

#11 6 years ago

Hidden benefit to camping is you can crack a beer at 9 AM and no one gives you dirty looks.

I'm looking to buy a teardrop camper to make last-minute trips more easily accessible.

1 month later
#12 5 years ago

Memorial Day weekend is our season opener for camping. We used to tent camp, but accumulated so much stuff that we bought a vintage camper to haul everything. "Dimples" is our 1967 Forester, made is Forest City, Iowa.

forester 3 (resized).jpgforester 3 (resized).jpg

#13 5 years ago

I'm confused. Outside is where the pinball machines aren't. So why would I go there?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I'm confused. Outside is where the pinball machines aren't. So why would I go there?

Dory Hill Tournament is for you
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-dory-hill-tournament-a-weekend-of-camping-with-pinball-at-altitude

Family is heading back out to Yellowstone National Park and Grand Tetons in 3 weeks. Temp swings from 30’s at night to 60’s during the day so should be interesting

#15 5 years ago

Im not really a huge camping fan, but for my pro audio business I have to camp at festivals where I work. Ill be camping in SW VA from Thursday until Monday. I dont mind the tent/sleeping bag. But a blowup mattress is absolutely required. Luckily I have access to showers/food, so its camping lite I guess ha ha.

#16 5 years ago

My all time favorite camping destination is to kayak into the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness at the upper end of Spicer Meadow Reservoir. The Scouts have a camp back there and shore camping is permitted. No motorized equipment is allowed in the Wilderness area so unless there is some jerk in a low flying aircraft all you hear is nature and your fellow travelers.

#17 5 years ago

My fiance and I are big campers. Two years ago we both did a massive road trip around the country, parts of Canada, and camped in every state except for Nebraska, North Dakota, and New Hampshire. We essentially lived out of the back of a 2006 Honda Civic, and it took us a month.

Gear we used most frequently:

-MSR Elixir 3 Tent (costly, but VERY strong in high winds, roomy, and no condensation issues)
-Alps Mountaineering 4-Season tent (again, costly, but definitely needed for high altitude camping where the tent needs to be able to withstand snow loading).
-MSR DragonFly Camp stove. Amazingly lightweight, and great for simmering and boiling water
-Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern (split our fuel between the stove and this lantern)
-Klymit Sleeping pads (WAY cheaper than Thermorest, and honestly, they're just as comfortable. We like the inflatable kind. Foam ones suck)

Some of our more memorable adventures on the trip were camping in Yellowstone (made all our gear smell like rotten eggs), and I proposed in Glacier National Park. Forgive my horrible mug. She's far more photogenic than I am.

IMG_7893 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_7893 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7894 (resized).jpgIMG_7894 (resized).jpg
IMG_7890 (resized).jpgIMG_7890 (resized).jpg
IMG_7896 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_7896 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7895 (resized).jpgIMG_7895 (resized).jpg

#18 5 years ago

Ok. Needed to find this. Wanting to get back into backpacking ever since I got out of the army. Have the gear but nobody i know goes backpacking, and not comfortable going solo.

3 weeks later
#19 5 years ago

Picked this up on Saturday, can't wait to use it. I sold a couple games to get it but should be worth it. We always tent camped to hike in sites, but too tough with kids now.

camp (resized).jpgcamp (resized).jpgcamp2 (resized).jpgcamp2 (resized).jpg

#20 5 years ago

Love to go camping. Wife needs comfort, so no tent camping for us. We just bought our mini travel trailer and love it. DF631890-61E7-4A47-8668-08E276E25E2E (resized).jpegDF631890-61E7-4A47-8668-08E276E25E2E (resized).jpeg

#21 5 years ago

Ha! You guys with those fancy trailers and your “camping.”

I’m kidding... if I had the means, I’d love an RV of some kind. Some of them are nicer than most homes! Tenting does get old, especially when it rains, and you’re cooped up in one for hours at a time.

We met a couple at Yellowstone who had theirs outfitted with solar panels and wind turbines that charged huge batteries during the day so that didn’t really have to use their generator, since most places ban them at night.

#22 5 years ago

HHaase,

I'd suggest searching out the various outdoors clubs in your 4 state area. Clubs that do hiking and/or canoeing & kayaking, also are into camping. They schedule trips, some of which include overnight camping.
See if midwestweekends.com has any good leads.

2 weeks later
#23 5 years ago

Hello
Suggest me please a good mattress for my camping\travel trailer,old one was king size.
We used it for 10 years.It's time to replace.
Thanks in advance.

#24 5 years ago

Picked this up 2 days ago. My back cant handle a tent anymore, this has to be a step up! (I forgot to put the poles above the beds, thats why its sagging by the way

20180703_164149 (resized).jpg20180703_164149 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#25 5 years ago

Nice work.

2 weeks later
#26 5 years ago

Knoebels is probably one of the best campground/pinball combos. Oh, and there's the amusement park.

DSCN1302 (resized).JPGDSCN1302 (resized).JPG

DSCN1298 (resized).JPGDSCN1298 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-any-camping-fanatics-here?hl=puffdanny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.