image-540.jpg
al-swearengen.jpeg
Theater4.jpg
breaking-bad-lego.jpg
tumblr_mtfa9q9c1h1sh0tp8o1_500.gif
Breaking Bad prints.JPG
image.jpg
FFruit_Print.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Just finished this masterpiece Monday... Wow! Now what do I watch? It will be tough to find another show this good... no, this great from top to bottom. Definitely bummed its over...

Breaking Bad is one of my favorite shows ever. Several other favorites of mine are The Sopranos, The Wire, and The Shield. All were great series. Mad Men is pretty close, but isn't finished yet, so I'll reserve judgment for now. JMHO.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Yep, you hit all my favorites as well although I have not seen The Wire… yet. Mad Men is another show extremely well done. Its definitely a soap opera but that's not meant to be an insult. Only 7 episodes remaining in that one.
Anyone who has not seen the video RobT posted above please do yourself a favor.

If you liked the others I mentioned, you will definitely like The Wire. Great show for binge watching, too. Very similar to Breaking Bad in many ways (e.g., excellent writers, very deep character development, complicated story arcs).

Another great show that ended far too early, IMO, was Deadwood (HBO). I teared up when I first learned that it was not being renewed after only three seasons. Al Swearengen is one of the most memorable characters on cable television.

1 week later
#124 9 years ago

The sneak peak trailer called "No Parking", where Saul first meets Mike, is even better!

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

In my quest to find another show that might approach the greatness of Breaking Bad (a search that has been in vain so far) I have started watching Game of Thrones. Highly rated show and many here seem to really love it.
I think it is fairly well done, but I just can't get into it that much. I've watched the first 5 episodes. I can't quite say that I'm hooked. In fact, I think I'd rather watch Arrow than Game of Thrones!

I thoroughly enjoy Game of Thrones, and I'm not really into the fantasy genre. My 22-yr-old son and I watch it together live on Sunday nights every time a new episode airs. (That is a very rare occurrence in our three-TiVo household.) I will, however, readily admit that the series is a "slow burn", so you probably need to watch all the way through the end of the first season to really get hooked.

The biggest problem with critiquing Game of Thrones as a television series is that it is still in production, and the book series upon which the television series is based (A Song of Ice and Fire) is still being written. Given the age of George R.R. Martin -- the 66-yr-old author of the books -- and how long the series has been in development (18 years), there is a very real possibility that he may pass on before the books are finished, and if the source material is incomplete, the long-term impact of the TV series could be greatly diminished.

I can say one thing with confidence, though. IMHO, several individual episodes of Game of Thrones (e.g., And Now His Watch is Ended, The Rains of Castamere) are every bit as memorable to me as some of the best episodes of The Wire (Middle Ground, Final Grades), The Sopranos (College, Pine Barrens), and Breaking Bad (Ozymandius).

1 month later
#156 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Just completed the 5 seasons of The Wire and Wow! Another gem for sure! I still give BB the edge but not by much... The Sopranos now bumped into third place after being on the top of my list for many years.
1. BB
2. The Wire
3. The Sopranos

Glad you enjoyed The Wire. I thought you would. Hard to argue with anything on that list (content or ranking order).

What's next on your hit list?

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I have no idea at this time. Looking for suggestions! I just know it will be a long while before I hit another series like BB or The Wire. Plus I watched those back to back and that really spoiled me!
Now what? Depressed again...

In addition to the ones you've already mentioned, some of my other favorites are (listed in no particular order):

Dramas
--------------
Firefly
Deadwood
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
The Newsroom
American Detective
Suits
House of Cards
Rome
The West Wing
Band of Brothers
Friday Night Lights
NYPD Blue
Lonesome Dove
Justified*

*Only 1/3rd of the way through this one, but like it a lot so far.

Sitcoms
------------
Friends
Seinfeld
Cheers
Frasier

Dramedy (Drama/Comedy)
--------------------
M*A*S*H (hard to categorize, but definitely needed to be mentioned)

#159 9 years ago

duplicate post

#167 9 years ago

Al Swearengen (aka "Swedgin") approves.

al-swearengen.jpegal-swearengen.jpeg

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#177 9 years ago

The Wire's biggest problem is that Season 5 was weaker than some of the previous seasons, so the series didn't end on a high note.

Breaking Bad ended on a high note, with "Ozymandias" being the best episode of the entire series, and some critics would argue, was one of the best episodes in television history. ("Ozymandias" was Episode 14 of the final season, and the first episode of the 3-episode series finale.)

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If you are an Idris Elba fan from The Wire, you should definitely check out Luther. I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's awesome.

I loved Idris Elba in The Wire, and I started watching Luther specifically for that reason. But it has some dark, twisted shit in it. I stopped watching about 4-5 episodes in. Just couldn't handle the dark undertones. If anybody got farther than that, and can tell me that it got better, I'd be willing to give it another shot.

1 week later
#193 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've never seen Friday Night Lights, but I hear it's great. Having watched Breaking Bad first, it would be weird seeing the actor who played Todd play someone who isn't evil.

Yeah, it was weird for me seeing Jesse Plemons play Todd Alquist (evil bad) in Breaking Bad after watching him play Landry Clarke (Saccharine good) for several years in Friday Night Lights.

I'm glad I mentioned Friday Night Lights. I don't watch much network television. I typically gravitate to cable TV (AMC, FX) and especially the premium channels (HBO), but FNL was so damn good that I felt I had to mention it. The cast is incredibly talented, too. I'm really happy to see that recommendation resonating here, because you guys seem like discriminating viewers with relatively high standards.

#199 9 years ago

Slightly off-topic, I saw Clint Eastwood's "American Sniper" this afternoon, starring Bradley Cooper. Awesome flick! One of the best movies I've seen in a theater in a long time.

#202 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's doing great at the box office. Word of mouth is very positive. Can't wait to see it.

We tried to see it last night, but the evening shows were all sold out, so we bought tickets 2 hours in advance of today's mid-day matinee. That show also sold out, be we got in, because we purchased tickets in advance. This flick is blowing up January box office records, with $90M on the first weekend. When you go, consider buying tickets in advance of showtime, due to high demand.

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Ok, you Amazon Prime Members please go watch Mad Dogs and tell me what you think. Only the pilot episode is available at this time but I have to say I am very interested in this one!

Alright, Teekee. I just watched Mad Dogs, and it looks very promising! You, my friend, have good taste! So when is the next episode?

#209 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

The first 8 or so episodes (I can't recall exactly) were outstanding, I love the coach, but then the show went to a TV lame ass drama with insanely unrealistic things (wife starts working again as guidance counsellor and all of a sudden is the principle the next year…. Wha..? :O It was like they had this good idea for a football show and the ideas simply ran out half way through the first season. Oh well, let’s start throwing in relationships with everyone and the drama that ensues. Barf.
The coach made me watch the show until the end, but it was a grind, and I was glad when it was over. Debated not finishing though, it got that bad.

Television critics assessed the show a little differently...

Metacritic ratings - Friday Night Lights:

Season 1 - 78
Season 2 - 88
Season 3 - 83
Season 4 - 87
Season 5 - 82

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/friday-night-lights

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If you think the first season is great just wait until season 3 and 4 which is when it gets awesome! I think next to Breaking Bad it's the best show in the history of TV.

No doubt! The whole "Hamsterdam" saga that unfolded throughout Season 3, and then Season 4, starting with Snoop visiting the hardware store to buy a nailgun, and ending with "Final Grades" as the season finale, one of the best episodes of the entire series. Those were both great seasons!

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

LMAO!!!
Why are there so many crossover actors? Is one of the producers the same on both shows?

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-walking-dead-the-wire-cast-2014-10

1 week later
#240 9 years ago

I always watch shows with subtitles on, but especially The Wire. Otherwise, I'd never understand a single word uttered by Snoop! Kind of like playing GTA IV on a mission with Little Jacob. Subtitles are required! LOL

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I needed a gender disclosure on Snoop. Didn't realize she was a girl until the end!

Felicia "Snoop" Pearson is a fascinating character and actress (also named Felicia Pearson). Stephen King called her character "perhaps the most terrifying female villain to ever appear in a television series." Needless to say, the actress' own bio reads like a script From The Wire (e.g., troubled childhood; prison time for second-degree murder). Interestingly, she met Michael K. Williams, who played Omar Little, in a Baltimore club, and he invited her to come to the set one day. He introduced her to the writers and the producers, and after a subsequent audition, she was offered a role in the series. Amazing story!

#246 9 years ago

LOL. I agree with a lot of those opinions that you postulated.

#248 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I am excited but ready for a let down… hope I'm wrong!

Early reviews from critics are quite good.

#269 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I feel you man. These were from when I was just into it. I'm on season 4 episode 4.

Hang in there. IMO, Season 4 is probably the finest season in the entire series, but you need to see the entire story arc to fully appreciate it.

#284 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So who saw Better Call Saul tonight? Thoughts?
I love the fact that the cinematography is going to be just like Breaking Bad.
I thought the first episode was fairly good, but I didn't think the story was that great. Way too early to tell how this series will pan out.

I like what I've seen so far. It's definitely got potential. Too early to judge, though, as the story is just unfolding. Mike has barely been introduced, and Tuco just appeared at the very end, but will play a more prominent role tonight.

After tonight's episode, you should be able to draw some early conclusions about quality, since this is a 2 episode premiere. AMC understandably used TWD as the lead-in on Sunday night to maximize viewers on the new series premiere, and they probably also want to use the 2nd episode tonight to establish the new Monday night time slot.

11 months later
#326 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Ok, you Amazon Prime Members please go watch Mad Dogs and tell me what you think. Only the pilot episode is available at this time but I have to say I am very interested in this one!
61mWRYn7U2L._PI_PJStripeHD-Prime-500px02,TopLeft,0,0_AA160_.jpg

FYI, the entire first season of Mad Dogs is now available on Amazon Prime. I just binge watched it this weekend, and the entire season is just as awesome as the pilot. Highly recommended!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-any-breaking-bad-fans-here?tu=razorbak86 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.