image-540.jpg
al-swearengen.jpeg
Theater4.jpg
breaking-bad-lego.jpg
tumblr_mtfa9q9c1h1sh0tp8o1_500.gif
Breaking Bad prints.JPG
image.jpg
FFruit_Print.jpg
There are 326 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Breaking Bad is one of my favorite shows ever. Several other favorites of mine are The Sopranos, The Wire, and The Shield. All were great series. Mad Men is pretty close, but isn't finished yet, so I'll reserve judgment for now. JMHO.

Yep, you hit all my favorites as well although I have not seen The Wire… yet. Mad Men is another show extremely well done. Its definitely a soap opera but that's not meant to be an insult. Only 7 episodes remaining in that one.

Anyone who has not seen the video RobT posted above please do yourself a favor.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Yep, you hit all my favorites as well although I have not seen The Wire… yet. Mad Men is another show extremely well done. Its definitely a soap opera but that's not meant to be an insult. Only 7 episodes remaining in that one.

If you liked the others I mentioned, you will definitely like The Wire. Great show for binge watching, too. Very similar to Breaking Bad in many ways (e.g., excellent writers, very deep character development, complicated story arcs).

Another great show that ended far too early, IMO, was Deadwood (HBO). I teared up when I first learned that it was not being renewed after only three seasons. Al Swearengen is one of the most memorable characters on cable television.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Al Swearengen is one of the most memorable characters on cable television.

C**KSUCKER!!

#54 9 years ago

If you haven't seen The Wire yet, you may want to wait a little longer. Word on the street is that HBO is remastering all the episodes in HD ...

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/09/the-wire-marathon-on-hbo?mbid=social_twitter

#55 9 years ago

Next up. Game of Thrones and House of Cards (?)
Then, Boardwalk Empire. Then True Detective.

#56 9 years ago

True detective was extraordinary but it was only eight episodes, so not sure that qualifies as a series.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Next up. Game of Thrones and House of Cards

Game of Thrones is phenomenal. You will be hooked instantly.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I saw 2 episodes and never went back. I hear so many good things about it, I will probably go back sometime in the future. I might have just been the wrong mood when I watched it. But it definitely didn't hook me instantly. Quite the opposite.

Jaz

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You will be hooked instantly.

Quoted from Jazman:

But it definitely didn't hook me instantly. Quite the opposite.

Ya see....different strokes...

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

WINTER IS COMING !!!

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

WINTER IS COMING !!!

You know nothing, Jon Snow!

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Just finished this masterpiece Monday... Wow! Now what do I watch? It will be tough to find another show this good... no, this great from top to bottom. Definitely bummed its over...

Masterpiece is indeed the correct word to describe this series. I'd have a hard time saying that any TV series has ever been better.

Good luck trying to find something to compete. I haven't. I was in to Dexter and the first few seasons were great, but that last two were not good, and the finale was terrible.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Masterpiece is indeed the correct word to describe this series. I'd have a hard time saying that any TV series has ever been better.
Good luck trying to find something to compete. I haven't. I was in to Dexter and the first few seasons were great, but that last two were not good, and the finale was terrible.

After having a few days to reflect I am NOW sure this is the best TV series I have ever watched. Maybe the best thing I've ever watched PERIOD! The show had no weaknesses IMO and I've never been so emotionally connected to characters. The characters in BB are not just extremely interesting and different but also endearing and they had me empathizing and caring deeply about them… Weird? Crazy?

Right now I'm watching The Wire so I will report back later on that one.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

The Wire is grittier, more complicated and has many more characters...so you may be underwhelmed comparing it to BB, but it's good, I took everyone's advise and started watching Deadwood.

#65 9 years ago

Wire = Breaking Bad. Both masterpieces.

Dexter should not even be discussed here except for season 1.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

After having a few days to reflect I am NOW sure this is the best TV series I have ever watched. Maybe the best thing I've ever watched PERIOD! The show had no weaknesses IMO and I've never been so emotionally connected to characters. The characters in BB are not just extremely interesting and different but also endearing and they had me empathizing and caring deeply about them… Weird? Crazy?

And it goes even further than that. As I indicated earlier in the thread, the cinematography in Breaking Bad is excellent. That's not often the case with TV series.

Quoted from kvan99:

I took everyone's advise and started watching Deadwood.

Can Deadwood be streamed via Netflix?

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No, but it is on Amazon Prime and HBO GO.

#68 9 years ago

Deadwood is great. Not breaking bad great. But good none the less. Shame they canceled it. It's going to be a long time before something rivals BB. Boardwalk Empire started strong and has cinematography on par or better than BB but I lost interest in season 3. I enjoyed Rome but again, cut short. I tried the wire twice and oz as well. It just didn't click for me. I have been searching for a BB replacement to binge on but for me, sadly, there's nothing out there. The only thing close to BB is Game of Thrones.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

No, but it is on Amazon Prime and HBO GO.

Amazon Prime is awesome… worth it for their instant video alone although the free shipping really comes in handy as well.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Amazon Prime is awesome… worth it for their instant video alone although the free shipping really comes in handy as well.

How do you use Amazon Prime on a TV?

My Oppo Blu-ray player has several apps on it including Vudu and Netflix but nothing for Amazon Prime.

#71 9 years ago

Amazon prime sells an wifi adapter ala roku called fire tv. It was $79 with a year of prime included. Not sure if they're still running the promo. I have widgets on my tv's so I don't need it.

**edit: nope no more promo. $99

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Amazon prime sells an wifi adapter ala roku called fire tv. It was $79 with a year of prime included. Not sure if they're still running the promo. I have widgets on my tv's so I don't need it.
**edit: nope no more promo. $99

That blows.

Won't even consider paying that for one.

I will just rent the physical discs from Netflix.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How do you use Amazon Prime on a TV?

Smart TV

#74 9 years ago

What's that?

I watch in my mancave/HT on a 9 foot wide screen that uses front projection.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What's that?
I watch in my mancave/HT on a 9 foot wide screen that uses front projection.

9 foot wide?? You kids are crazy these days. My Smart TV is 4 feet wide and I thought I was a bad ass…

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

You haven't seen The Wire and you're wondering what you're going to watch now?

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

You have chosen wisely. BB is practically perfect. The Wire is even better.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

9 foot wide?? You kids are crazy these days. My Smart TV is 4 feet wide and I thought I was a bad ass…

Yep. Crazy!

Theater4.jpgTheater4.jpg
#79 9 years ago

Stern should do a Better Call Saul game

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That blows.
Won't even consider paying that for one.
I will just rent the physical discs from Netflix.

Amazon prime is phenomenal. My house conservatively watches 200 hrs of free content with the prime membership. My kids wouldn't know what to do without it. What's a $100 when you have a multi-thousand dollar home theater.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

HBO Go...as mentioned. I also have a Google TV dongle thingy that let's me find shows on other outlets. BTW, I bet the reason it got cancelled was the huge production cost, the show has a cast of a hundred or so extras, animal wranglers, carpenters etc...not to mention there was at least 5 or 6 heavyweights on the show that I'm sure weren't cheap to employ.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Amazon prime is phenomenal. My house conservatively watches 200 hrs of free content with the prime membership. My kids wouldn't know what to do without it. What's a $100 when you have a multi-thousand dollar home theater.

I have Amazon Prime and love it.

I'm just not paying $100 to add yet another device to my setup. I'll just rent the discs via Netflix.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have Amazon Prime and love it.

I'm just not paying $100 to add yet another device to my setup.

The Roku 3 is on sale right now for $85 ...

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-3-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00BGGDVOO/ref=sr_1_1

Another option would be the Roku Streaming Stick for $49 ...

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-3500R-Streaming-Stick-HDMI/dp/B00INNP5VU/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_cp_7_P394

If you have a laptop with an HDMI out, you can run that into your TV for free. It would allow you to watch Amazon Prime, HBO GO, and any other streaming service on your TV.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The Roku 3 is on sale right now for $85 ...
amazon.com link »
Another option would be the Roku Streaming Stick for $49 ...
amazon.com link »
If you have a laptop with an HDMI out, you can run that into your TV for free. It would allow you to watch Amazon Prime, HBO GO, and any other streaming service on your TV.

Just not worth the hassle or money vs renting the discs via Netflix.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Just not worth the hassle or money vs renting the discs via Netflix.

Hooking up a single HDMI cable from your computer to your TV seems like a lot less hassle to me than sending discs back and forth in the mail. That being said, one benefits of going with the blu-rays is better picture quality. When you're dealing with a 9' screen, that's a factor that shouldn't be ignored.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Hooking up a single HDMI cable from your computer to your TV seems like a lot less hassle to me than sending discs back and forth in the mail.

Disagree.

HTPC can be a pain in the ass. By contrast, nothing is easier than opening the Netflix flyer, throwing the disc in my BD player, watching the disc, and throwing it back in my mailbox. Been a Netflix member for well over a decade.

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yep. Crazy!

Wow, that's a pretty incredible dedicated room. You have much more disposable income than I sir and I salute you.

However, as a message to the more common man, you can have pretty kick-ass front-screen projection system for not much more money than a quality 65" TV if you have a basement or other room with the ability to control the ambient light. I've got a 100" diagonal screen in my basement and it totally rocks. The total price for the screen, projector, and cabling was around $2500. You can go cheaper but black level was an important consideration for me and that was about $1000 more for a better projector.

Jaz

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Been a Netflix member for well over a decade.

That's about the same amount of time since I last bought or rented a movie. If I can't stream I'm not watching it.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

That's about the same amount of time since I last bought or rented a movie. If I can't stream I'm not watching it.

I could never even consider having that attitude. I'm a movie buff, and there is simply far too much great content out there that can't be streamed.

#90 9 years ago

One thing I noticed right away from the first couple episodes of The Wire was the two actors currently in TWD... One legged Bob and Gabrielle the Reverend.

Almost done with the first season already. Wasn't planning on binging it... it just happened!

Pretty awesome so far...

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

One thing I noticed right away from the first couple episodes of The Wire was the two actors currently in TWD... One legged Bob and Gabrielle the Reverend.
Almost done with the first season already. Wasn't planning on binging it... it just happened!
Pretty awesome so far...

Yeah I'm loving this -- seems like TWD has a rule, every time they bump off an actor from The Wire, they bring in two more! Come to think of it, since you're still on Season 1, there are at least two more The Wire actors currently on TWD that you won't recognize since they don't show up until Season 3 or 4 of The Wire.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If you haven't seen The Wire yet, you may want to wait a little longer. Word on the street is that HBO is remastering all the episodes in HD ...
http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/09/the-wire-marathon-on-hbo?mbid=social_twitter

It will be interesting to see how the remasters come out, and what they do with the aspect ratio. I remember reading once that David Simon intentionally shot the show in 4x3 so it would "look like TV". Hopefully they'll honor that.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It will be interesting to see how the remasters come out, and what they do with the aspect ratio. I remember reading once that David Simon intentionally shot the show in 4x3 so it would "look like TV". Hopefully they'll honor that.

I would hope that it will still be in 4:3, but who knows. The networks have been known to do stupid things. I've never seen The Wire, and I've been purposely holding off until the HD versions are out. I've been watching the remastered HD versions of Star Trek: TOS and Star Trek: TNG. They both look amazing!

#94 9 years ago

The 1st season of The Wire was really good! No doubt this series is going to be stellar! Its gonna take a lot to unseat BB but The Wire looks to have an outside chance...

Is anyone else getting tired of TWD? I am a fan but you can tell that the writers are trying to extend this out as long as they can. Can't blame them since its so popular and making them tons of cash but its getting slow and repetitive... getting bored with it. Anyone else?

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

The 1st season of The Wire was really good! No doubt this series is going to be stellar! Its gonna take a lot to unseat BB but The Wire looks to have an outside chance...

I know several people who think The Wire is not only the best television show ever written, but the best piece of fiction ever written.

#96 9 years ago

love the art!!! that was the best series i have ever watched.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Is anyone else getting tired of TWD? I am a fan but you can tell that the writers are trying to extend this out as long as they can. Can't blame them since its so popular and making them tons of cash but its getting slow and repetitive... getting bored with it. Anyone else?

Yep. My daughter and I are huge fans and watch it together. She said to me before the start of last weeks episode "I know that this weeks episode is going to have a lot more action and more drama because the last few episodes have been slow". Didn't really work out that way though.

Sad thing is that we only have 1 more episode before we have another couple months before we get another one.

I found it much more enjoyable to be able to watch episodes back to back when I first started watching, which was after the 3rd season. I hate being caught up and having to wait a week or more between episodes.

#98 9 years ago

I wonder if Better Call Saul will be any good?

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I wonder if Better Call Saul will be any good?

if it is the same writers and director it will probably be just as good as breaking bad if not better.

lots of different folks to defend, a lot more openings for some comic relief to likely all very bad situations by obviously??? guilty people. and was he always a good lawyer? was he always shady? was he always a snazzy dresser?

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I know several people who think The Wire is not only the best television show ever written, but the best piece of fiction ever written.

That might be a bit of a stretch but its damn good nonetheless and is filling my BB void nicely! It sounds like it gets even better season by season...

After completing BB and watching the 1st season of The Wire all of a sudden TWD seems a lot less interesting... I'll stick with it (for a while longer) cuz I want to see how it ends but I heard they are talking about 10-12 seasons. I just can't see it lasting that long!

There are 326 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-any-breaking-bad-fans-here/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.