Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pages from Dolly Manual Complete-2 (resized).png
    u9 p37 (resized).jpg
    u9 p3 (resized).jpg
    u14 p4 (resized).jpg
    u12 p3 (resized).jpg
    cpu 12 (resized).jpg
    cpu 11 (resized).jpg
    cpu 10 (resized).jpg
    cpu 9 (resized).jpg
    pic_24_7a (resized).jpg
    pic_24_6a (resized).jpg
    pic_24_5a (resized).jpg
    pic_24_4a (resized).jpg
    pic_24_2a (resized).jpg
    pic_24_1a (resized).jpg
    a0a (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago

In order to reduce overall chip count, creative things were done with the memory map / addressing. Sometime, an address line was used only to select PIAs etc. Therefore, while you may see what look like normal waveforms on most of the address lines, others may look totally dead if your scope can't catch and display a single fast change (a single read or write to a port).

And, as others stated, while in a repeating loop, the code may not cause lower address lines to change until it jumps outside the loop.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Enaud:

I would get one if I could find one at 33mhz specification. I have not found one of them yet. And from what I read at Tektronix, they are not interchangeable.

I could obviously be wrong but I would expect that the 100MHz will work just fine.

Every few of my scopes were rated at 100Mhz and I have always purchased 100's as replacements.

#13 5 years ago

Wow! That P6028 is kind of old (1963-1966). I don't see any sign of a cap on the manual. Many probes you buy today have a trim cap at the base so you can fine tune the probe to the scope (scopes often have a square wave output for this purpose).

I wonder how old my Dad's Vacuum Tube 1MHz Tektronix is I have under my bench? Talk about boat anchors!

#15 5 years ago

They made for a fine opening for the original B/W The Outer Limits!

In High School Physics, the Teacher got the use of an O-Scope and Played through the entire song of Free Bird one day for us to "Watch". I guess it was his way of trying to somehow make the class more interesting (late 70's). Either than, or he was nursing a Hang Over that day.

#22 5 years ago

For that, you can make a NOP test cpu (6800). You lift all data bit lines (D0-D7) on a 6800 chip and tie them high or low to form a data byte of $01 (hexidecimal). 01 is the NOP (no operation) command for a 6800.

The Cpu resets, goes to address FFFE and pulls the first half of the 16 bit POR jump address. Increments to FFFF and pulls 2nd half. Jumps to $0101 and pulls the first command byte which will be a $01. 01 says do nothing except increment program counter and get next byte. Which will again be 01. Repeats forever. So, you end up with a 16 bit counter as it counts from 0000 to FFFF and rolls over.

That will give you a steady waveform.

#25 5 years ago

It really sounds like you need to get an old book from the late 70's about Programming Micro computers.

It sounds like you are thinking along the lines of a "program" that is running in a higher language. The 6800 is using what is referred to as machine language. The "C" in cat, exists in memory as an ASCII byte. It takes many line of code to go fetch that byte and then transfer it to an external device, usually through some kind of an I/O port. If it needs to go out to a serial device (a single transmission wire), it has to shift it out one "bit" at a time, which would require a loop of code.

Almost no way to see a fixed pattern with a scope. Read up on signature analyzers to see how a tech would trouble shoot a running circuit. And even then, it requires you lock the program into a know mode or condition so you know what "should" be happening as opposed to what actually is happening.

A0 through A16 form a 16 bit address word which is used to point to one specific byte in memory. D0 through D7 contain the data byte that is either going to be written or read from that memory location.

#44 5 years ago

And you realize this is what you are looking at:

Address line:

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oscilloscopes-and-pinball?tu=cactusjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.