(Topic ID: 235777)

Oscilloscope what are you using and what do you recommend

By MarkAnderson

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I have run into a couple machines that probably would have been easier to repair with an oscilloscope. If you have an oscilloscope how is it beneficial? What would be needed in terms of functionality? There are scopes that are from China that are very inexpensive, would those fill any needs or does an old used one provide more benefits ?

#2 5 years ago

I have an old 4 trace Textronix from the 80s. It has been useful in troubleshooting I think twice since I have owned it (about 15 years), both times in looking at more than one signal's progression/timing. A logic probe was useless for this - I had to see the switch matrix pulses and found out that 2 were occurring at the same time instead of one after the other.

I am actually shopping around for a newer scope because I would like the storage capacity and better trigger/capture/usb functionality. I also have an 8 channel logic analyzer which while it would perform the functionality of storage etc. that I'm looking for I'd have to drag my laptop around to use it.

I get way more usage out of the multimeter and logic probe than a scope, but when you need a scope, you really need it.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from MarkAnderson:

I have run into a couple machines that probably would have been easier to repair with an oscilloscope. If you have an oscilloscope how is it beneficial? What would be needed in terms of functionality? There are scopes that are from China that are very inexpensive, would those fill any needs or does an old used one provide more benefits ?

I have an old hp1740 100Mhz scope that works great, but I've also picked up a Hantek HT6022BE that works thru your laptop. I might just get that handheld Hantek that LTG posted tho.. nice all in one package.. no need for a laptop

#6 5 years ago

Scope for pinball? Not usually worth dragging out.

#7 5 years ago

On board level repair it can help. A storage scope has helped on WPC sets by logging the voltages. Never really needed one for PF area diagnosis but to answer your question I use the 4 channel picoscope I use on automobile repair.

#8 5 years ago

My father was an electronics professor in addition to being an amusements operator. I learned more from him than most people could ever comprehend. The first machine I ever worked on with him was Black Knight. I was 5. I’ve been repairing coin-op equipment ever since. I don’t think I’ve ever used my scope on a pinball.

That being said, I have a Tektronics 2235 (ironically I used it restoring my Marantz 2235 receiver). It’s more than suffice and they’re very affordable now. I bought a Fluke Scopemeter when they came out. I was 18. Used it more as a DMM because it was there than I used it as a scope.

#9 5 years ago

I use a Picoscope.
    https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/2000/picoscope-2000-overview
    I always have a notebook near and this is very easy to connect and setup.
    Two channels, very compact.

#10 5 years ago

We picked up a couple of these at work, pretty cool:

https://analogdiscovery.com/

It's more than an oscilloscope and requires a laptop.

If you are looking for a true oscillloscope, we also have one of these at work:

https://www.amazon.com/Siglent-Technologies-SDS1102CML-Digital-Oscilloscope/dp/B01J1MQC3G

It's really nice. So small and portable. Personally I would upgrade to the 4-channel but that's more money.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Scope for pinball? Not usually worth dragging out.

I do about 90 percent of pinball troubleshooting with a good DMM....including logic signal tracing. If you need to trace an analog audio signal through an amplifier circuit, the only tool you can use is an oscilloscope.

I have an ANCIENT BK1477 for that. If needed I can borrow a Tectronix digital storage scope from work. I've only needed to do that once in a decade of working on pins. They are easy.

#12 5 years ago

I use a Rigol DS1054Z:
    https://www.amazon.com/Rigol-DS1054Z-Digital-Oscilloscopes-Bandwidth/

I agree, it's probably overkill for most things pinball, but I also use the same model at work so I'm comfortable with it. Used it recently to get the sound working on my Embryon. Probably could have done it with a logic probe, but I'm more confident using a scope.

I also have a Tekronix 2000 series DSO that is older, but in some ways nicer than the Rigol.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from classicgamefan:

I use a Rigol DS1054Z:
    amazon.com link »
    I agree, it's probably overkill for most things pinball, but I also use the same model at work so I'm comfortable with it. Used it recently to get the sound working on my Embryon. Probably could have done it with a logic probe, but I'm more confident using a scope.
    I also have a Tekronix 2000 series DSO that is older, but in some ways nicer than the Rigol.

x2 on the Rigol DS1054Z. You get 4 channels, plenty of bandwidth, etc.

My only gripe with it is the rotary encoders on the knobs are not as tight as i would prefer. But they still work just fine.

Dave at EEVBlog has lots of good things to say about them as well.

It also has lots of open source support. Do some googling on that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oscilloscope-what-are-you-using-and-what-do-you-recommend and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.