Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by Brokedad
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

I hope this is in the right section...

I'm getting into PCB repair and I'm wondering if a oscilloscope would be worth the investment? I've been floating pins to removing components completely to test them. How would a oscilloscope help me out? Can I test components while still on the PC board and get a accurate measurement with a oscilloscope?

Do you have and use one?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

#2 13 years ago

A scope is very helpful if you have a good understanding of how the logic gates work. Really for the most part, you just want to see if you're getting a full transition signal across the entire DC Rail (0 - 5V swing) with good square waves. I used to use a scope for most of my repairs when I had one availalbe. Most of the repairs I do at home now I use a Logic Probe for. They are much cheaper and give you basically the same information you would be interested in for Pinball board repairs.

The additional features of a scope would be useful if you need to determine timing signals or view multiple signals at the same time. I've never had the absolute need for one personally. The one I used was just handy at the time.

G

#3 13 years ago

Most of the repairs I do at home now I use a Logic Probe for. They are much cheaper and give you basically the same information you would be interested in for Pinball board repairs.

I had a few different types for small engine ignition work but didn't much like them. I'm working on a rear projection TV right now and it's taking for ever it seems like.

#4 13 years ago

For analog work (TV, audio, etc...) I definitely recommend an O-Scope. Also, for really fast CPU signlas like in a PC, a scope is better in my opinion. But, Pinball signals, especially output / input signals, tend to be pretty slow compared to the main CPU bus. I usually just look for constantly On / Off or completely dead signals to point me to a problem I.C. Have been pretty successful that way.

If you get a Scope, let us know what you get. I was looking at some recently that looked like pretty good deals on eBay.

G

#5 13 years ago

I currently have these in 'my ebay'.

ebay.com link: ws

There are tons more up for auction with a wide scope range. Seems like Tektronics or HP are the better brands. Why most don't include the probes is beyond me, I think it should come with them, they did when new...

The MHz range kinda confuses me. I know I have a lot to learn.

#6 13 years ago

The third one sounds like the best deal to me. That last one is an old unit. I used one like that that was Old when I was in school (mid 80's).

I'd try to go for the third one or 2nd one.

Eventually, I'll probably bite the bullet and get one too. It would be useful for some of the other stuff I do (home automation, etc...).

G

#7 13 years ago

I watched 1 of these go to the end and the last 45 seconds there was 7 bids and the price jumped $75 dollars. The 3rd unit has a little over 5 days but I'll keep my eye on it. I'm trying to keep my limit around $150.00 or less.

#8 13 years ago

That would be a pretty good buy at $150. Good luck! Hope you get it.

G

#9 13 years ago

If you want on O'scope consider getting a PC O'scope card. It can be like an old storage scope. With the software you can "record" the signals from various points and line them up against each other for timing analysis. They are not very expensive.

I'd recommend a curve tracer over an O'scope though. I find it tons more useful for troubleshooting. A Huntron 2000 is my choice.

BTW I traded a high end Tektronix O'scope for my first pinball (Medusa) plus $85

(P.S.) I finally found my old Icon. I thought I had loaded it yesterday but hadn't

#10 13 years ago

I'd recommend a curve tracer over an O'scope though. I find it tons more useful for troubleshooting. A Huntron 2000 is my choice.

Brokedad, the manual goes for over $100.

ebay.com link: Tektronix 577 D1 D2 Curve Tracer Service Inst Manual

The nicest one on the 1st page was 22K+, sorry I didn't grab the link.

If you want on O'scope consider getting a PC O'scope card.

I was looking at those and the idea of testing electronics through my USB port just to risky. I got too much money into my machine to chance that. As for those little nano pocket scopes, their basicly just $90 dollar toys from what I've seen (Youtube video's).

#11 13 years ago

If you want a curve tracer I could probably find you one for around $150 plus shipping to you. It would be a Huntron model 1000 or maybe 2000 .. these are no longer made and replaced with the model 2800 etc.

These plot current vs. time .. so a capacitor shows as a circle, a diode or transistor connection as a line across with the end going up or down as it turns on like a check mark (depends on lead connection and junction NPN or PNP for direction) .. they are also very effective testing logic chips leads for damaged inputs and outputs to ground or power. A damaged or leaking lead/pin is very easy to see visually. It's my favorite trouble shooting item.

For more info visit www.huntron.com and look up curve tracers/trackers.

#12 13 years ago

Really, everything I would need to get going?

#13 13 years ago

BD... You the man! BTW, good to see the old thumbnail back.
    Old??? ... you know what I mean

G

#14 13 years ago

Brokedad makes an excellent point. I was at a longtime electronics tech friend of mines workspace and he showed me one of those Huntron whatever-you-call-ums and it was quite impressive. Much quicker and easier to use for board repair and it has a very wide range of applications. Scopes are nice, but next to one of those units it pales in comparison. Very visual read outs, capacitor is a circle, messed up circle? Bad capacitor, simple. The outdated model should work perfectly fine for pinball, I think I may get one myself as well if they can be had for cheap. Brokedad email me I want to talk to you about that.

thanks

#15 13 years ago

Pinmailed you maldoror ... reply there or via pinside.com email.
    I gotta be at work at 4am so I'm going to bed now. Will answer you tomorrow if you send a message.

#16 13 years ago

If you want to go cheap and experiment at the same time, try Xoscope.
    I have it installed on my laptop and played around with it a little. It runs on Linux, not sure if there's a windoz version. It used your sound card mic input.
    here's a link http://xoscope.sourceforge.net/

you will need to use some kind of hi Z probe to protect your sound card. I used a 1 meg resistor. Also this won't measure amplitude and will display up to around 25khz max freq.

duder

#17 13 years ago

You can build a cheap circuit to convert an O'Scope into a very basic curve tracer using one channel and the X-Y input on the back. BTW the Huntron 2000 unit I had access to has been spoken for and is sold now. I don't know when I will be able to obtain another as they are highly sought after at such a price.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oscilloscope and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.