(Topic ID: 307933)

Original white lettering or is black OK?

By Silverstreak02

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Original white lettering or is black OK?”

• Use stencils to stay with the original white lettering 11 votes
      100%
    • Use black decals 0 votes

(11 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

69F13374-4DEA-4757-B830-1CA00AA47B82 (resized).jpeg
    image-12 (resized).jpg
    CC324E8F-4D36-4094-ACD1-03136BA9B67B (resized).jpeg
    1C83F875-2F38-45C9-92DA-E73C6D43C6E0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Silverstreak02.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I’m restoring a 1959 Gottlieb Around the World pin. The playfield repaint is done and I’m applying decals for the letters and numbers. In the picture below the “ON, OFF, 100 and points is supposed to be white. Doing white requires brush work (not possible) or the use of a stencil and airbrush. I do have an airbrush and a forum member is making stencils for me. Today I mocked up the letters with black as a test. I kinda like the black and it would save a step. What do you think should I go with the original white or black?

1C83F875-2F38-45C9-92DA-E73C6D43C6E0 (resized).jpeg1C83F875-2F38-45C9-92DA-E73C6D43C6E0 (resized).jpeg
    #5 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

The "when lit" part is black originally, but without the white box it's superimposed on.

The letters are printed on white paper and then cut out to give me an idea of how it would look. If permanent I will print on clear water slide decal paper. All you will see is the black. There won’t be a “white box”.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Oh, well then it probably won't look as bad then. I know it's tough to do white, but I'd go with that.

White or black?

#11 2 years ago

Since no one voted for black or said it would work I’ll wait for the stencils and try to paint them white. I admit I’m concerned with the small letters.

#16 2 years ago

I’m waiting for the stencils so I can paint the letters and numbers white. That was the overwhelming opinion of the group. While I’m waiting I made some decals in black to see how it would look. I removed them before they could dry, but what do you think?

CC324E8F-4D36-4094-ACD1-03136BA9B67B (resized).jpegCC324E8F-4D36-4094-ACD1-03136BA9B67B (resized).jpeg
    #18 2 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

Interesting. The IPDB shows the numbers as black outlined with a white middle. Furthermore, it shows the area you have painted brown should be red. Also the letters are nothing like yours, but you may just be doing a test look-see.
    Anyway, you could make a waterslide with white decal and a black outline. If you wanted it to look original. But it seems like you are already off the reservation with the brown, so ... do whatever you like, I guess.
    [quoted image]

You are of course right on all points. My goal is to do the best job I can considering my skill level. Fooling someone into thinking it’s original is something I’m not capable of. I believe once done most people will think it looks acceptable. As mentioned earlier my goal is to make the letters/ numbers white once the stencils arrive. The picture below is the original condition and shows the color and font differences. I took a few liberties with most everything.

69F13374-4DEA-4757-B830-1CA00AA47B82 (resized).jpeg69F13374-4DEA-4757-B830-1CA00AA47B82 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Silverstreak02.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/original-white-lettering-or-is-black-ok?tu=Silverstreak02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.