(Topic ID: 320737)

R.I.P. Original Seattle Shorty's

By Tuna_Delight

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wtf2 (resized).jpg
    wtf (resized).jpg
    shortys-moving-day-clowns_Aaron-granillo_620 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4294 (resized).jpg
    Manray (resized).jpg
    20221108_081055_resized (resized).jpg
    20180323_162745 (resized).jpg
    20220818_081254_resized (resized).jpg
    20220818_081220_resized (resized).jpg
    Orig Shortys (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuna_delight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Walked by the original Shorty's (THE dive bar that blazed the trail for pinball joints in Seattle!) location this AM and final demolition (to the whole block) has begun. SIGH.

Hats off to the new Shorty's (one block to the north), but damn ... the original provided a lot of fun pinball memories over many years!

The original Shorty's in happier days:

Orig Shortys (resized).jpgOrig Shortys (resized).jpg

This AM:

20220818_081220_resized (resized).jpg20220818_081220_resized (resized).jpg

20220818_081254_resized (resized).jpg20220818_081254_resized (resized).jpg

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Why is the block being demolished.
    I visited Shorty's a long long time ago now.
    Fun place.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

It's being redeveloped, like a lot of other portions of downtown Seattle, into cheap looking, nondescript, ground floor retail/multi-floor residential above, buildings.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Why? To sugarcoat it and pretend everything is great. No thanks. I may be an asshole but I’m an honest asshole and I actually like the weather in the PNW.

Honesty is one thing - the vibrancy and safety of Seattle's downtown has definitely declined in the last few years. Homelessness continues to be a major problem and the COVID pandemic has now resulted in many downtown office workers (like me) no longer contributing to its economy nearly as much as we used to, due to working from home most days.

But to condemn the city overall as a "shithole" is both inaccurate and unfair. Seattle still has a lot going for it (including LOTS of great pinball FWIW) and the many residents here that love and appreciate the city are working to deal with the challenges it, like other major urban areas, faces. Unfortunately, higher income residential redevelopment (like that which is replacing the former eclectic collection of clubs, restaurants, bars, and small businesses that the original Shorty's block consisted of) is a double edged sword as far as being a solution to Seattle's current problems.

#14 1 year ago

20180323_162745 (resized).jpg20180323_162745 (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #15 1 year ago

This week:
    20221108_081055_resized (resized).jpg20221108_081055_resized (resized).jpg

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Pour some out for the other lost-to-times Seattle joints!
    [quoted image]

What joint be that? Regardless, looks like many a good time must have been had there!

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

FWIW I think I walked by there yesterday on my way to the new Shorty's.
    Between that and Jupiter bar things seemed okay.
    Plus a trip to the Seattle Pinball Museum.
    Pinball was hopping in Seattle this weeke d.
    Change sometimes sucks but pinball seems more popular in Seattle than ever from my short time here.

No doubt - pinball in Seattle is okay. In fact, it's way more active than many places for that matter and something to be appreciated!

As someone who enjoyed many fabulous hours of pinball playing over many years, at the original Shorty's with all its unique pinball divebar charm, I just feel like it deserves some special remembrance.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:Looking thru old pics I actuslly do t think I have any proof i was there
    When did the OG close?

shortys-moving-day-clowns_Aaron-granillo_620 (resized).jpgshortys-moving-day-clowns_Aaron-granillo_620 (resized).jpg

#26 1 year ago

The top pic looks like it's from Shorty's.

I don't recognize the place in the second pic though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuna_delight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/original-seattle-shorty-s-in-final-burial-mode?tu=tuna_delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.