You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0032 (resized).JPG
(Doctor Who) - Dalek Topper mit Haube1 (resized).JPG
(Doctor Who) - Dalek Topper mit Haube4 (resized).JPG
(Doctor Who) - Dalek Topper mit Haube5 (resized).JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 6 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Parts - for sale

Original Doctor Who Dalek topper and dome

Added: 2017-07-02 22:35:00 UTC • Ended: September 18th, 2017
Condition: Used, good condition

Price

€ 350

Original Dalek topper and dome in very good condition for sale. Dome is not broken and has no cracks. Price 350 Euros

Item photos

(Doctor Who) - Dalek Topper mit Haube5 (resized).JPG
(Doctor Who) - Dalek Topper mit Haube4 (resized).JPG
(Doctor Who) - Dalek Topper mit Haube1 (resized).JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are knazzo's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to knazzo's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Item location

Home, DE

#2 6 years ago

BLUF: You may want to include additional details and the underside of the Dalek itself, or reword this ad title.
I do not see anything remarkable about this topper based on what is shown.

As seen in the listed photos there is no fully machined assembly, no motor, no wiring, no connectors, no head with proper extension post or baseplate, no controller PCBs, and the dome is the factory standard from the production game with decals.

It is missing everything.

Prototype toppers are completely different and the Dalek head itself had no glue marks.
This just looks like a topper from a standard game, using the correct mold, although uncommon to acquire today.

The WMS factory overproduced toppers as well, as aftermarket parts, because the toppers sometimes got stolen, cracked, broken, or were removed due them not fitting on low ceiling heights and boxes up. Reproduction domes were made available first, quite a few years ago, as well as the reflective decals.

As a I own a second version prototype direct from a WMS factory employee, and there are two game prototype versions.
Not one, and not three that is sometimes reported.
My game also has a very unique full high power interlock function (not just playfield glass switch for the time expander motor), with programmed game code, that I have not seen on any game EXCEPT the prototypes.
This was a standard inclusion for later WPC Fliptronic games, but not DW.

The first version prototype only had 4 games made, and two exist today, and used the WMS System 11 cabinet and speaker system, lenticular hologram, and unique translite. Two games were dismantled from what I was told from the factory.

The second prototype version had less than 10-15 games made (I could never get a straight answer from WMS in 1992), and most were converted into early production sample models using the WMS style cabinet and original prototype translite cut down, wiring, and prototype doctor light board.

There is a third early production model (around 100 games) which include the game samples which get often identified as prototypes improperly, simply because they have a moving motorized Dalek head.
These are not prototype games.

The remaining production topper was for standard games, as shown in these photos for the Dalek.

#3 6 years ago

Sounds like TheBlackKnightx knows his Dr. Who stuff!!

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

BLUF: You may want to include additional details and the underside of the Dalek itself, or reword this ad title.
As seen in the listed photos there is no fully machined assembly, no motor, no wiring, no connectors, no head with proper extension post or baseplate, and the dome is the factory standard from the production game.
Prototype toppers are completely different.
It just looks like a topper from a standard game, using the correct mold, although uncommon to acquire today.
The WMS factory overproduced toppers as well.
As a I own a second version prototype direct from the WMS factory, and there are two game prototype versions.
The first version only had 4 games made, and two exist today, and used the WMS System 11 cabinet, lithograph, and translite.
The second version had less than 15 games made, and most were converted into early production sample models using the BLY cabinet and original translite cutdown, wiring, and prototype doctor light board.
There is a third early production model (around 100 games) which include the game samples which get often identified as prototypes improperly, simply because they have a moving motorized Dalek head.
That was not a prototype.
The remaining production topper was for standard games, as shown in these photos for the Dalek.

You should write up a post and provide pics of all the differences.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Yeah I would be interested in reading and looking at pics to learn the differences.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

As seen in the listed photos there is no fully machined assembly, no motor, no wiring, no connectors, no head with proper extension post or baseplate, and the dome is the factory standard from the production game.
Prototype toppers are completely different.
It just looks like a topper from a standard game, using the correct mold, although uncommon to acquire today.
The WMS factory overproduced toppers as well.
As a I own a second version prototype direct from the WMS factory, and there are two game prototype versions.
The first version only had 4 games made, and two exist today, and used the WMS System 11 cabinet, lithograph, and translite.
The second version had less than 15 games made, and most were converted into early production sample models using the BLY cabinet and original translite cutdown, wiring, and prototype doctor light board.
That was not a prototype.

I too would love to know the differences. I own a Dr. Who and it has a moving Dalek head. I did not install the parts and I know for sure the two previous people that owned the game before me did not modify it. I have looked at it before trying to figure out if it was one of the 100 spoken about games that are samples. Is there any info you can provide me to see if these parts were added or if it came from the factory like that?

#7 6 years ago

This page shows the mechanics in the prototype

http://pfutz.us/WmsDoctorWhoMovingDalekHead/a15706.htm

The mass produced game only has a single flasher on a tall thin bracket; you can see on the link here that there is a huge mechanism in the prototype games. Aftermarket kits like the ORIGINAL Wobble head kit (there were two) were as far as I can tell, an exact match for the originally intended mech and programming. The other kits work still and are good (and are cheaper) but don't quite work the same.

The pics here don't indicate anything that would lead one to believe this is from a prototype (not saying it's not). A true protottpe head would NOT be affixed to the body with glue. The OP should be able to post a pic of the body and head separated and no evidence of glue of any sort

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

I too would love to know the differences. I own a Dr. Who and it has a moving Dalek head. I did not install the parts and I know for sure the two previous people that owned the game before me did not modify it. I have looked at it before trying to figure out if it was one of the 100 spoken about games that are samples. Is there any info you can provide me to see if these parts were added or if it came from the factory like that?

Take off the case and very closely inspect the dalek head and body right where they join. You should see some evidence of yellow glue in there (like wood glue). Usually the paint was painted over the wood glue. You may have to remove the head to really see inside.

So - Alternately, look inside the backbox - there should be two small PCBs screwed to the top of the backbox head. One is the flasher relay, one controls the motor itself. 99% of games do not have the second motor, even if they were modded later.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

BLUF: I provided longer details in another DW thread, including at least one video extract from 1992 (I think in another thread or other forum?) and factory photos, sometime in the past five years.

Here is part of one set of comments of someone wishing to "recreate" the original first prototype game which is quite difficult, because the artwork on the remaining two examples would need scanned and created and both the translite and lithograph would need to be made. This does not consider the electronics, and full wiring.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-tried-to-re-create-the-bally-style-doctor-who-cabinet

There are many differences between the four distinct different models, including cabinet artwork, and it would make an interesting article or interview.

An actual prototype topper assembly, complete with correct PCBs is worth much more than 350 euros for two pieces of potential plastic.
Most people have never seen a complete assembly, as there are less than 120 games that have factory components and that is not even considering the game was made 25 years ago and what may already be lost.
Mark Davidson's recreated wobble head kit machine base is quite close to the factory one, but there are differences, even using the blueprints, as he made changes for durability reasons.

I do own the rare backbox lithograph, one prototype translite in a frame which I removed for protection, and two extra prototype non-hologram plastics along with complete extra NOS plastic set in another frame. These items are not for sale.

#10 6 years ago

As always excellent history from BlackKnight.

#11 6 years ago

Dr. Who ??
No no, you guys are way off. Barracora came out long before Dr. Who so this has to right.

John

IMG_0032 (resized).JPGIMG_0032 (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Dr. Who ??
No no, you guys are way off. Barracora came out long before Dr. Who so this has to right.

John

More like "Dr. No" John....

So wrong

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

BLUF: The approximate 100 or so DW production games (prior to mass production) that have motorized Dalek heads are not necessarily samples, as most are simply early production games.

Terminology is important.
Prototypes, samples, and early production are not synonymous in features, functionality, parts, electronics, or cosmetics in many cases.

Read this past article.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/xtheblackknightx/stories/understanding-the-production-differences-of-pinball-games

Perhaps I will write another article this year on another topic.
Mr. Dayhuff placing a spare Dalek topper and dome on his Barracora for a photo decoration is a good funny example of a factory or acquired spare, and it is just an extra (or taken off his personal game), nothing particularly unique as at one point there were more readily available.

Identifying each of the types of DW games requires a couple of photos, and in your case specifically focusing on the PCBs and Dalek assembly between a sample and early production. Look for the factory markings and serial numbers on the PCBs.
Most likely your game is early production (third version) or was converted (fourth version production game) in the past 10 years.

#14 6 years ago

Thank you for the clearance! Then this is a standard Doctor Who topper with dome?
The Dalek is complete (head glued to the body) not 2 parts. I didn't know that there are so many differences. I've edited the thread title.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from knazzo:

Thank you for the clearance! Then this is a standard Doctor Who topper with dome?
The Dalek is complete (head glued to the body) not 2 parts. I didn't know that there are so many differences. I've edited the thread title.

The dome and dalek units are the same molds regardless of when they were made. The difference comes with the mechanism inside. If they are glued then this is from later in the run, but still appararently hard to find! I know at least one Pinsider recently posted looking for this topper

2 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

bump

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/original-rare-doctor-who-prototype-dalek-topper-and-dome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.