cousin vinny logical (resized).jpg
IMG_2761 (resized).JPG
beaut clark (resized).jpg
20170227_060755 (resized).jpg
20170224_234201 (resized).jpg
20170224_234240 (resized).jpg
20170804_102837 (resized).jpg
20170224_234144 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nexyss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'll take a nice new remake over a twenty year old game any day. If I already have the original I'd stick with it though.

What he said, remake all the way.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Remakes are awesome... beautiful machines. I'd buy one. But, modern games use a lot of SMD chips that are basically impossible for most of us to replace. I had a Stern game go down and it was costly to get an SMD swapped.
So, something to keep in mind.

Except for some of the processor chips, surface mount parts really aren't any harder to replace than through hole parts. I always avoided surface mount until I actually tried it. Watch a youtube video, and practice on some cheap toy. If you are comfortable soldering the old stuff, you will be fine on these.

The chips that use ball grid array are a different story. If repairs start becoming common on these boards, I am pretty sure there will be people out there with the equipment to repair them.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I think this is actually pretty easy to determine really. If you have an original, then the answer is original. If you have a remake, then the answer is going to be remake. I guess the only ones that could truly make an unbiased opinion is someone who currently has neither.

I think that should be the case. Maybe there are some original owners that want to sell to get a remake, but that should be the only exception. I could buy either now, but I preordered a remake solely because it is the better choice to me. Since this question was asked after I ordered, I would have to be somewhat crazy to answer that I would have rather had an original, since I could have an original for a similar price now instead of waiting.

I think there is more of a question with MMr than AFMr. MMr was released to be as close as possible to the original. AFMr has enhanced features. The enhanced features are what sold me. If I was going to buy an MM, given the same price, I don't know if I would have a huge preference either way. I am waiting to see if they release an upgrade to the larger screen for MMr. If that happens, then the remake would 100% be my choice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 21.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.00
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nexyss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/original-or-remake?tu=Nexyss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.