2F827C0C-CC0F-400B-AE7A-A9EA3244E2ED (resized).jpeg
aiw 3 (resized).jpg
aiw 4 (resized).jpg
aiw 5 (resized).jpg
aiw 6 (resized).jpg
aiw 2 (resized).jpg
michael hanley - alice in wonderland prototype (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Just did a podcast with Michael Hanley who worked with JPop on the original Alice In Wonderland prototype...before Zidware. If interested, it's here:
https://www.pinballprofile.com/episode-326-michael-hanley-and-shane-jackson/

aiw 2 (resized).jpgaiw 2 (resized).jpgaiw 3 (resized).jpgaiw 3 (resized).jpgaiw 4 (resized).jpgaiw 4 (resized).jpgaiw 5 (resized).jpgaiw 5 (resized).jpgaiw 6 (resized).jpgaiw 6 (resized).jpgmichael hanley - alice in wonderland prototype (resized).jpgmichael hanley - alice in wonderland prototype (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Looks interesting!

#3 2 years ago

Verry cool, I think this would be a verry nice machine and theme if they released it

#4 2 years ago

Yet another Jpop uncompleted project

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from drredness:

Just did a podcast with Michael Hanley who worked with JPop on the original Alice In Wonderland prototype...before Zidware. If interested, it's here:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That’s badass. How’d the layout play? I’ll definitely listen to the podcast. That’s so cool a prototype exists!

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

That’s badass. How’d the layout play? I’ll definitely listen to the podcast. That’s so cool a prototype exists!

Didn't play it...this time. Because it was in storage, they took something out of it long ago. But whatever it was, they will put back in soon and I'll let you know.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from drredness:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Features a lower left side outlane save via a ramp, similar to Zach’s “Unnamed Poker Homebrew” Drop Target save on the lower left

#8 2 years ago

What I don’t get is it’s really different from this version. Which one was the latest... ?

2F827C0C-CC0F-400B-AE7A-A9EA3244E2ED (resized).jpeg2F827C0C-CC0F-400B-AE7A-A9EA3244E2ED (resized).jpeg6E4C27A1-3E97-4817-B25F-79E189D6B01D (resized).jpeg6E4C27A1-3E97-4817-B25F-79E189D6B01D (resized).jpeg
#9 2 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

What I don’t get is it’s really different from this version. Which one was the latest... ?[quoted image][quoted image]

Very Circus Voltaire like in design and artistic style.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

What I don’t get is it’s really different from this version. Which one was the latest... ?[quoted image][quoted image]

Your picture is the more recent Zidware one. The pictures I showed were when JPop was at Bally. This was something being worked on before SWE1

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from drredness:

Your picture is the more recent Zidware one. The pictures I showed were when JPop was at Bally. This was something being worked on before SWE1

It seems that he started over everything from scratch. Those layout has nothing in common.
Anyway, thanks for sharing the story.

#12 2 years ago

American Pinball should be releasing / Riot’s Alice In Wonderland soon…

877B9390-9E12-4AA1-A88B-29307634679E (resized).jpeg877B9390-9E12-4AA1-A88B-29307634679E (resized).jpeg
#13 2 years ago

I would like to it released. My gut says unlikely

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from drredness:

I would like to it released. My gut says unlikely

The game is made out of cardboard.

Yeah, I’d say pretty unlikely.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from drredness:

Holy smack, Bally was working on an Alice In Wonderland? That’s killer! It’s not even on @i_p_d_b
We need more pics and information on this thing!!

Screw the Zidware game (other than awesome art), and Riot hasn’t said anything about AIW, it’s only been that crappy old sketch for years now. Is it even real?

Bally’s Wonderland, the prototype we never knew about, very cool.

#17 2 years ago

The flipper/ramp thing in the outlane is an interesting thought. Maybe similar to how a kickback works. 1 use then needs to be recharged. You get one flip at it to save your ball. Would need its own flipper button. The rest of it looks typical jpop.

#18 2 years ago

Well this design looks awful. Haha. Cool find though.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

The flipper/ramp thing in the outlane is an interesting thought. Maybe similar to how a kickback works. 1 use then needs to be recharged. You get one flip at it to save your ball. Would need its own flipper button. The rest of it looks typical jpop.

Zac’s home brew at pintastic had a similar flipper down there (no jump ramp though).

#20 2 years ago

Was there supposed to be a Dot matrix display planned ?
Edit: probably not with a Tomcat.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Zaccaria has this feature on Farfalla and probably others, you get flippers on both outlanes and one flip to save a draining ball if the feature is lit. Y'all think Popadiuk came up with an original idea??

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Y'all think Popadiuk came up with an original idea??

No. And it was even talked about in the interview/podcast.

#23 2 years ago

Didn't watch the videos, but glad someone pointed it out. Pretty cool feature that hasn't been used for a while.

#24 2 years ago

zacaj ’s card game uses something similar. Cool idea for sure.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Features a lower left side outlane save via a ramp, similar to Zach’s “Unnamed Poker Homebrew” Drop Target save on the lower left

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Zac’s home brew at pintastic had a similar flipper down there (no jump ramp though).

Quoted from chuckwurt:

zacaj ’s card game uses something similar. Cool idea for sure.

Third time’s the charm? Haha, I tagged him earlier when I mentioned it, obviously he didn’t know about it, but that’s very cool! Zach was probably inspired by the ZZZ’s. I know he digs those foreign games!

4 months later
#26 1 year ago

I spotted this machine back in 2016. It was sitting next to a Theatre Of Magic prototype. Perhaps this was on what used to be the official William Bally web page in which they had pictures of the machines at development stage.
Here, the No Good Gofers Page, as it was when the web site was "live" :
https://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/games/gofers/index.html
I cannot spot the corresponding Theatre Of Magic dedicated page though.
By the way, does anybody know about the prototype NGG with the mother gopher depicted here ?
https://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/games/gofers/funstuff.htm

World cup soccer (resized).jpgWorld cup soccer (resized).jpg

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Olivier7:

I spotted this machine back in 2016. It was sitting next to a Theatre Of Magic prototype. Perhaps this was on what used to be the official William Bally web page in which they had pictures of the machines at development stage.
Here, the No Good Gofers Page, as it was when the web site was "live" :
https://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/games/gofers/index.html
I cannot spot the corresponding Theatre Of Magic dedicated page though.
By the way, does anybody know about the prototype NGG with the mother gopher depicted here ?
https://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/games/gofers/funstuff.htm
[quoted image]

The NGG prototype was a joke by the dev team. Thanks for sharing this pic.

#28 1 year ago

I didn't know, merci Benoit. I thought that perhaps it would have turned into a Ringmaster-alike toy on what became Cirqus Voltaire.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/original-alice-in-wonderland-prototype and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.