Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pickle
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

09118C7B-9261-4AE5-B4F5-A244F40E1809 (resized).jpeg
    0FF12D4D-570B-4141-A678-3C6401EBFF1B (resized).jpeg
    DFD0B860-C18A-4F31-8D27-D30CEF00E40B (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Just looking for some general feedback of how folks are organizing your game rooms. For me it started with oldest (to me) on the left, and added new pins along the wall to the right, until it started invading living space and needing row 2, 3, etc as the collections grows.

Then I did JJP’s, Sterns (white star, spikes, etc), CGC/WPC’s, etc.

Then I put TAF next to TZ next to DI, next to Wonka, JP next to AIQ, sorting by designer (which was cool).

With a bunch of buying and selling now I’m all over the place, no real logical sorting order.

On top of the game order, I was taught and use the angled stacking approach, can fit more games on a wall and you get to see the backbox side-art (at least on one side well!). Not for everybody (I’ve had a few people over that don’t care much for that way of stacking them).

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

On top of the game order, I was taught and use the angled stacking approach, can fit more games on a wall

Any idea approx. how much space you gain by angling them? If you had five pins straight and angled them Could you gain enough room for one more game… just curious as this might be a good approach in a small game room where space is a premium.

#3 2 years ago

For me organizing went out the window early on due to a small space, I just put things where they fit now.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Just looking for some general feedback of how folks are organizing your game rooms. For me it started with oldest (to me) on the left, and added new pins along the wall to the right, until it started invading living space and needing row 2, 3, etc as the collections grows.
    Then I did JJP’s, Sterns (white star, spikes, etc), CGC/WPC’s, etc.
    Then I put TAF next to TZ next to DI, next to Wonka, JP next to AIQ, sorting by designer (which was cool).
    With a bunch of buying and selling now I’m all over the place, no real logical sorting order.
    On top of the game order, I was taught and use the angled stacking approach, can fit more games on a wall and you get to see the backbox side-art (at least on one side well!). Not for everybody (I’ve had a few people over that don’t care much for that way of stacking them).

Pics?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from TAVsPlace:

Any idea approx. how much space you gain by angling them? If you had five pins straight and angled them Could you gain enough room for one more game… just curious as this might be a good approach in a small game room where space is a premium.

When you angle (call it to the right), you can put the edge of the left backbox (of the machine on the right) in front of the right of the backbox (of the machine on the left). So you can gain 3-4” per machine (with 7/8 pins lined up, that’s an extra pin to squeeze in). Where the real gain is, is that I have a TV on the wall that is the end, but while the backbox of the last machine is next to it, the machine angles out and is actually a bit in front of it down by the shooter. Also, you can see the artwork on the back boxes. Here are some pics (as my description may not be great).

09118C7B-9261-4AE5-B4F5-A244F40E1809 (resized).jpeg09118C7B-9261-4AE5-B4F5-A244F40E1809 (resized).jpeg0FF12D4D-570B-4141-A678-3C6401EBFF1B (resized).jpeg0FF12D4D-570B-4141-A678-3C6401EBFF1B (resized).jpegDFD0B860-C18A-4F31-8D27-D30CEF00E40B (resized).jpegDFD0B860-C18A-4F31-8D27-D30CEF00E40B (resized).jpeg
    #6 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

When you angle (call it to the right), you can put the edge of the left backbox (of the machine on the right) in front of the right of the backbox (of the machine on the left). So you can gain 3-4” per machine (with 7/8 pins lined up, that’s an extra pin to squeeze in). Where the real gain is, is that I have a TV on the wall that is the end, but while the backbox of the last machine is next to it, the machine angles out and is actually a bit in front of it down by the shooter. Also, you can see the artwork on the back boxes. Here are some pics (as my description may not be great). [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I apologize, but I thought you were looking for suggestions on decor, carpet, etc. I guess I misunderstood.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

When you angle (call it to the right), you can put the edge of the left backbox (of the machine on the right) in front of the right of the backbox (of the machine on the left). So you can gain 3-4” per machine (with 7/8 pins lined up, that’s an extra pin to squeeze in). Where the real gain is, is that I have a TV on the wall that is the end, but while the backbox of the last machine is next to it, the machine angles out and is actually a bit in front of it down by the shooter. Also, you can see the artwork on the back boxes. Here are some pics (as my description may not be great).

Makes sense now, thanks!

#8 2 years ago

Chronological order for me. Both with my pins and arcade machines. This is the way.

#9 2 years ago

Some over here, some over there

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

When you angle (call it to the right), you can put the edge of the left backbox (of the machine on the right) in front of the right of the backbox (of the machine on the left). So you can gain 3-4” per machine (with 7/8 pins lined up, that’s an extra pin to squeeze in). Where the real gain is, is that I have a TV on the wall that is the end, but while the backbox of the last machine is next to it, the machine angles out and is actually a bit in front of it down by the shooter. Also, you can see the artwork on the back boxes. Here are some pics (as my description may not be great). [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Won't this "space-saving positioning" make it impossible to pull out a pin that's not being at either end of the row as the backboxes will be in each other's way?

#11 2 years ago

I have two doors in my game room pinball area, so I had to be selective about what went where. For example a wedge head takes up less space than Super Orbit which I swear has the widest backbox in the history of pinball.

Anyway, I had to measure the wall space and then try and pack them in there as best as I could. It worked out pretty well actually, but I do have two areas with a mix of games. Walking Dead, Alien Star, Ali and Super Orbit are all together, but they fit between the bar and the utility room door.

I guess the long winded answer for me, is that I went for maximum use of the space first and then trying to put similar style cabinets together. You will do some shuffling because certain combinations of cabinets just look weird together.

#12 2 years ago

My organization strategy is: Game comes out? Game goes in that spot.

#13 2 years ago

I try to put less popular games between the popular ones.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

that looks mint! Monster Bash is quickly becoming an addiction to me! The on location place I go to has it and all i want to do is play that.

#15 2 years ago

I like to mix it up. As an example have a mechanical pin (Big Broadcast) next to
    the ST:TNG. But real organization went out the window years ago. A key is
    to arrange machines in a way they can be serviced which means removing the
    top glass and accessing the backbox without moving things too much.

For EM's, if you have Gtb wedge heads and Wms reverse wedgies, put them
    next to each other for a great and unique lineup.

#16 2 years ago

If space were not a luxury then most would organize by era, manufacturer, or theme. Also most of us are used to seeing pins in rows so in your mind that looks “correct”. Nothing wrong with putting them on an angle if it works for your space. It doesn’t really matter. Since space is a luxury and most of us only have so much most maximize the space available. The key is to not make them so crammed it’s uncomfortable to play or people are on top of each other. The other consideration is access to pull the glass for small fixes…nothing worse than having to move a game to get the glass off. Also if you move games in and out frequently is something to consider….nothing worse than having to move multiple games to access one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/organizing-a-game-room- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.