• 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Tanooki
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Orbitor 1 The Pinball Adventure.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Especially for you lovely Pinsiders, here's a gameplay video for the last produced Classic Stern: the infamous Orbitor 1. Hated by many. Loved by some. Misunderstood by most.

Please let me know what you think in a reply!

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

It's pinball in a bathtub.

Remind me to never take a bath at your place. Don't want to end up in the hospital with a spinning bumper in mi arse

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I've got a buddy who doesn't like to play putt-putt because it "breaks" his real-golf putting skills. Does playing Orbitor 1 throw off your normal game? I shook my head in amazement several times during that video because the gameplay is so radically different than any other game I've ever seen.
Great video and editing! What program did you use to make it?

Sounds like your buddy is really looking for excuses to make up for his poor golf and/or putt-putt game.

But seriously: Yes, you have to 'learn' how to play pinball on Orbitor 1. I think that's actually one of the reasons people don't like it. It's not always fun to have to learn something, almost from scratch. Especially when you're pretty good at the 'normal' game. And believe me: being a wizard at regular pinball says very little about your skills on O1.

And no, it won't throw off your normal game. At least for me it didn't. Just like swimming won't throw off your running skills.

Thanks for your compliment about the editing, by the way! I use Powerdirector.

#13 8 years ago

Thanks for all replies, guys. Makes shooting and editing a video like this all the more worthwile. Glad to hear that this video helps giving people second thoughts about the machine.

Keep 'em coming!

#17 8 years ago

Thanks guys! It really is a great game. Wouldn't have it as an only machine, but it really shines in a collection of 5 or more games.

Quoted from Geocab:

What camera did you use the capture the footage?

I used my Sony ILCE 3000 for the main shots and an old Canon IXUS 75 for the scores.

#19 8 years ago

Thanks John! Nice to know my work is appreciated.

Rack 'em Up is a very nice player as well! I've had to sell mine as well, because of limited space.

#23 8 years ago

I bought it like this from a guy in Leeuwarden, Friesland. No hole repairing whatsoever. Needless to say I am very happy with my hole.

Also: great compliment. Thanks! The lighting of the video is actually the combination of a good lamp (yes, I shit you not) and lots of tweaking with my camera. Glad it worked out!

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I enjoy this game even though most don't. Just thinking when it was made and how they created such an odd pin is amazing. Would love to add to the collection

That's what blows my mind too. How do people come up with this stuff?!

The answer is actually very cool. You'll find it here:
http://www.flippers.be/stern_orbitor_one_history.html

1 week later
#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

That's actually why I asked about what camera he used. I'd love to see how the camera was set up for that angle and the lighting, etc. because both are excellent.

Thanks! For my next video I'll make a Making Of.

1 month later
#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Especially for you lovely Pinsiders, here's a gameplay video for the last produced Classic Stern: the infamous Orbitor 1. Hated by many. Loved by some. Misunderstood by most.
Please let me know what you think in a reply!

Nice to know: the Orbitor 1 from the first post will soon be available to play for the public. It will be part of the line-up of the Dutch Pinball Museum in Rotterdam!

http://pavlovpinball.com/matrix-man-builds-waterfront-pinball-museum/
https://www.facebook.com/Dutchpinballmuseum

Make sure you study the video before you play it, so you know how to play it!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

I've never seen this game played before and that video is amazing. All the bends and curves on that playfield and the unusual sparse playfield seems to compliment itself enough not to get boring. If they for some odd reason ever added this local where I could play it, or even more crazy into Pinball Arcade, I'd take a stab at it.

Thanks!

The playfield truly does seem sparse and that's one of the things people usually throw at it. And to be honest, Stern could have added some more targets and more challenging rules to the game. But in all fairness, for an '82 machine it's not that bad. There are, for example, 13 drop targets on this playfield. That's a lot!

I don't think Orbitor 1 can be converted to a Pinball Arcade-table and feel quite the same as the real thing. But you'll find one to play eventually .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orbitor-1-the-pinball-adventure?tu=Jappie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.