Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Tanooki
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Orbitor 1 The Pinball Adventure.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Especially for you lovely Pinsiders, here's a gameplay video for the last produced Classic Stern: the infamous Orbitor 1. Hated by many. Loved by some. Misunderstood by most.

Please let me know what you think in a reply!

#2 5 years ago

Very nice video, well filmed and edited.

You can see that there's some skill involved in this unusual table, in the way you have to let the ball circle around the raised flipper to flip it with the other.

Certainly a one-of-a-kind table. It's refreshing to see pinball tables that go off the beaten path.

#3 5 years ago

Very interesting game for sure, I've always said I'd pick one up if the circumstances were right. The playfield on these is so cool and unlike any other!

#4 5 years ago

Thanks for this gameplay vid Jasper, very well done!!

Unusual strange game, but you demonstrate very well you have to have skills quite different then for other pins

#5 5 years ago

Where did you get that machine the out hole is flawless?

Best game play vid yet even better than mine.

Too bad you did not narrate How to play as the rules are not known to many.

I thought you were about to get the hardest shot in Pinball in the vid.

For Pinsiders the shot is made after the multipliers are maxed out which in of itself is not easy.

Once accomplished sequenced lights from the spinner to the 2nd "O" in Orbitor in the back of the playfield are started.

These lights show that you have enabled the jackpot shot and where to shoot it.

The shot must go through the spinner and then hit the "O" If that can be done you get a special award which is adjustable in the settings from any number of free games to any amount of points you choose. Of course I chose a ridiculous amount of points for the award as I doubt anyone will ever get it and if they do they would deserve it.

#6 5 years ago

I had the opportunity to play Jaspers' Orbitor 1 a few weeks ago and it plays exceptionally well! You really have to adjust your flipper skills to play the unusual Orbitor 1 and obviously I don't have Jaspers' flipper skills.....nice video Jasper!

/\/\arco

#7 5 years ago

nice! I dig the game and liek oddballs so I would buy one if it came up locally.

#8 5 years ago

I've got a buddy who doesn't like to play putt-putt because it "breaks" his real-golf putting skills. Does playing Orbitor 1 throw off your normal game? I shook my head in amazement several times during that video because the gameplay is so radically different than any other game I've ever seen.

Great video and editing! What program did you use to make it?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

nice! I dig the game and liek oddballs so I would buy one if it came up locally.

To me it's just too oddball that it's well into novelty territory. It's pinball in a bathtub.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

It's pinball in a bathtub.

Remind me to never take a bath at your place. Don't want to end up in the hospital with a spinning bumper in mi arse

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I've got a buddy who doesn't like to play putt-putt because it "breaks" his real-golf putting skills. Does playing Orbitor 1 throw off your normal game? I shook my head in amazement several times during that video because the gameplay is so radically different than any other game I've ever seen.
Great video and editing! What program did you use to make it?

Sounds like your buddy is really looking for excuses to make up for his poor golf and/or putt-putt game.

But seriously: Yes, you have to 'learn' how to play pinball on Orbitor 1. I think that's actually one of the reasons people don't like it. It's not always fun to have to learn something, almost from scratch. Especially when you're pretty good at the 'normal' game. And believe me: being a wizard at regular pinball says very little about your skills on O1.

And no, it won't throw off your normal game. At least for me it didn't. Just like swimming won't throw off your running skills.

Thanks for your compliment about the editing, by the way! I use Powerdirector.

#12 5 years ago

I didn't like the game when I had a chance to play it, but seeing this video makes me want to give it another shot when I see one. I didn't feel like I had much control over any shots, but the clip proves I had no idea what to do.

#13 5 years ago

Thanks for all replies, guys. Makes shooting and editing a video like this all the more worthwile. Glad to hear that this video helps giving people second thoughts about the machine.

Keep 'em coming!

#14 5 years ago

Amazing quality example and video!

I love the game

#15 5 years ago

What camera did you use the capture the footage?

#16 5 years ago

I really really like this game and if there was one the right price i'd purchase it in a heartbeat

#17 5 years ago

Thanks guys! It really is a great game. Wouldn't have it as an only machine, but it really shines in a collection of 5 or more games.

Quoted from Geocab:

What camera did you use the capture the footage?

I used my Sony ILCE 3000 for the main shots and an old Canon IXUS 75 for the scores.

#18 5 years ago

You make great videos. Your "Rack 'em Up" video almost made me buy mine back from the buyer!

#19 5 years ago

Thanks John! Nice to know my work is appreciated.

Rack 'em Up is a very nice player as well! I've had to sell mine as well, because of limited space.

#20 5 years ago

Nice video! Cool to see that you can actually cradle the ball on the flippers.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Where did you get that machine the out hole is flawless?

Yes. I also want to know how to fix a chipped out hole. My game is almost perfect everywhere but that damn hole! I can't stand it! Someone help, LOL.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

That is how you play the orb. Also, that is how you do a gameplay video! So many times people turn the lights off then shoot the video. You can't see the ball move, just a bunch of small lit areas. You video is a perfect example of how to light the game for video. Well done sir!

#23 5 years ago

I bought it like this from a guy in Leeuwarden, Friesland. No hole repairing whatsoever. Needless to say I am very happy with my hole.

Also: great compliment. Thanks! The lighting of the video is actually the combination of a good lamp (yes, I shit you not) and lots of tweaking with my camera. Glad it worked out!

#24 5 years ago

This machine could work better than normal machines on redemption now big LCD's are possible.

#25 5 years ago

Wow wow wow!

#26 5 years ago

great game. wish 1 was 4 sale

#27 5 years ago

Damn if that's not one of the coolest things I've seen! Seeing the ball (dare I say it) "orbit" around the flippers is a true mindfark. Doubt I'll ever get the chance to play much less own one though.

But from photos, it looks like all the inserts are recessed in craters... what keeps the ball from lodging in these? And how fragile is that playfield?

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

But from photos, it looks like all the inserts are recessed in craters... what keeps the ball from lodging in these? And how fragile is that playfield?

There is a curved clear playfield. The craters are cast into a lower plastic panel, below the playfield. Even the translight has a clear curved plastic panel, giving it a 3D effect.

#29 5 years ago

I enjoy this game even though most don't. Just thinking when it was made and how they created such an odd pin is amazing. Would love to add to the collection

#30 5 years ago

Thanks for the video, id definitely use it as a reference.

#31 5 years ago

I played the one at PAGG in 2014. Game blew my mind! Super fun, could careless about the gimmick, it works!

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I enjoy this game even though most don't. Just thinking when it was made and how they created such an odd pin is amazing. Would love to add to the collection

That's what blows my mind too. How do people come up with this stuff?!

The answer is actually very cool. You'll find it here:
http://www.flippers.be/stern_orbitor_one_history.html

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

That is how you play the orb. Also, that is how you do a gameplay video! So many times people turn the lights off then shoot the video. You can't see the ball move, just a bunch of small lit areas. You video is a perfect example of how to light the game for video. Well done sir!

That's actually why I asked about what camera he used. I'd love to see how the camera was set up for that angle and the lighting, etc. because both are excellent.

1 week later
#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

That's actually why I asked about what camera he used. I'd love to see how the camera was set up for that angle and the lighting, etc. because both are excellent.

Thanks! For my next video I'll make a Making Of.

1 month later
#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Especially for you lovely Pinsiders, here's a gameplay video for the last produced Classic Stern: the infamous Orbitor 1. Hated by many. Loved by some. Misunderstood by most.

Nice to know: the Orbitor 1 from the first post will soon be available to play for the public. It will be part of the line-up of the Dutch Pinball Museum in Rotterdam!

http://pavlovpinball.com/matrix-man-builds-waterfront-pinball-museum/
https://www.facebook.com/Dutchpinballmuseum

Make sure you study the video before you play it, so you know how to play it!

#36 5 years ago

I've never seen this game played before and that video is amazing. All the bends and curves on that playfield and the unusual sparse playfield seems to compliment itself enough not to get boring. If they for some odd reason ever added this local where I could play it, or even more crazy into Pinball Arcade, I'd take a stab at it.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

I've never seen this game played before and that video is amazing. All the bends and curves on that playfield and the unusual sparse playfield seems to compliment itself enough not to get boring. If they for some odd reason ever added this local where I could play it, or even more crazy into Pinball Arcade, I'd take a stab at it.

Thanks!

The playfield truly does seem sparse and that's one of the things people usually throw at it. And to be honest, Stern could have added some more targets and more challenging rules to the game. But in all fairness, for an '82 machine it's not that bad. There are, for example, 13 drop targets on this playfield. That's a lot!

I don't think Orbitor 1 can be converted to a Pinball Arcade-table and feel quite the same as the real thing. But you'll find one to play eventually .

#38 5 years ago

I've never seen one in 30+ years of messing with pinball tables, so unless I find one on vacation or someone rolls one into the Louisville Arcade Expo some year I doubt it. I've got a 1983 Bally table here that might as well be an EM table due to the design of it (Gold Ball) so I don't really mind sparse if the action is fun (which it is and gets little credit for due to the Bally hatred from when they went cheap.)

You're probably right as PBA would need an all new physics routine made for a game that isn't exactly truly popular so I doubt they'd want to bother. I don't think the rest would be an issue really because they have the code in there for spinners, uneven playfields, and the rest. I think the issue would be that whole open bottom end how the ball seems to curve back upon itself and the flippers where it seems like it needs a direct shot into that hole in the center to lose the ball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 149.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside