IMG_1697 (resized).jpg
PlayfieldParts_mod2.png
IMG_1689 (resized).jpg
IMG_0017a.jpg
IMG_0016a.jpg
a (resized).jpg
7 (resized).jpg
6 (resized).jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I recently made a trade with an awesome Pinsider and ended up with what has to be one of the nicest Orbitor 1s still out there. I was surprised to find that there wasn't an Orbitor 1 club, so there is now! Feel free to post your Orbitor 1 appreciation and questions here.

In that vein, does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the sensitivity of the spinning bumpers? I'm sometimes getting phantom scoring off the upper spinner when a coil fires; I'm assuming the vibration is just enough to slow down the motor and trigger the opto.

IMG_6853 (resized).jpgIMG_6853 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

I’ve owned 2 and have another coming in the next couple of weeks. I’ve seen some incredible players play this game with finesse. There IS skill with Orbitor! Different isn’t always a bad thing!

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

surprised to find that there wasn't an Orbitor 1 club

Stern Electronics Club (1977-1984)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch

#4 3 years ago

Yeah, but Quicksilver and Seawitch get their own special clubs. Orbitor 1 deserves one, too.

3 weeks later
#5 3 years ago

Cool Club! I always wanted one of these and then they became pretty pricey.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

Yeah, but Quicksilver and Seawitch get their own special clubs. Orbitor 1 deserves one, too.

I was gonna started a club for Orbitor but there are too few people who own one and use it. Honestly, the best is the Classic Stern club YeOldPinPlayer quoted. They only made games for 5 years and they’re all basically the same parts and circuit boards.
Orbitor is a special game, and the most unique ever made! However there are too few produced.
It would be like making a (Classic Stern) Iron Maiden or (Classic Stern) Viper club. There’s only like a few hundred that were made and maybe less than a hundred out in the wild.

Kinda like the Monday Night Football Club, it’s mostly dead as a door nail.

However if you’re interested follow my threads where I rebuilt an Orbitor 1: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orbitor-1-a-scratch-build-reaching-for-the-stars

Now this is related.

Quoted from BRW84:

In that vein, does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the sensitivity of the spinning bumpers? I'm sometimes getting phantom scoring off the upper spinner when a coil fires; I'm assuming the vibration is just enough to slow down the motor and trigger the opto.
[quoted image]

This is most likely due to the bearings going bad that hold the axle straight. If the bearings are shot then the motor will wobble which causes it to slow down. There is no way to fix this other than taking it to a small motor repair shop and have them rebuild it.
It will only get worse with time, as all Orbitor’s are.

BUT THERE IS HOPE!

Currently I’m taking the bold step and working on reproduction Spinning bumpers for O1! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-orbitor-1-spinning-bumper-replacement-interest-check

#7 3 years ago

Picked one up last month.

#8 3 years ago

Glad there's a club, i'll give you a run for best Orbitor around i hope when i see mine. Was picked up in Victoria last week and dropped to a tech's place down the coast for him to see if he can make a scoring board and spinning scoring discs for one of the bumpers. Hoping to get it scoring and then buy the parts from Isochronic_Frost to complete when he has them available.
I love the weird and different, don't care what anyone says about the gameplay.

I only have some pics from the seller as i haven't seen it in the flesh yet, but it's beautiful. Wanted to buy the Space Invaders next to it too (i've been looking hard for one) but it had a few too many problems for the price.

ob2 (resized).jpgob2 (resized).jpgob3 (resized).jpgob3 (resized).jpgob4 (resized).jpgob4 (resized).jpgob7 (resized).jpgob7 (resized).jpgob8 (resized).jpgob8 (resized).jpgorb4 (resized).jpgorb4 (resized).jpgorb5 (resized).jpgorb5 (resized).jpg
#10 3 years ago

Any preventative maintenance I can do to the out hole to prevent damage?

#11 3 years ago

There was some stuff in the build thread listed above where someone found a piece that fit in there from a plumbing supply shop or somesuch.

1 month later
#12 3 years ago

orbitor.jpgorbitor.jpg

Picked one up today. Such a cool little oddball. It's pretty much original condition barely touched since '82, including rubbers that are about to crack off. Can't wait to soup it up a little, new rubbers, LEDs, maybe do something different with the under playfield lighting or add some mild LED strips along the sides.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

[quoted image]
Picked one up today. Such a cool little oddball. It's pretty much original condition barely touched since '82, including rubbers that are about to crack off. Can't wait to soup it up a little, new rubbers, LEDs, maybe do something different with the under playfield lighting or add some mild LED strips along the sides.

Awesome find! Congrats on joining the club! It's a funny thing; when I first got my Orbitor 1, I thought I'd hang onto it awhile and then flip it. Now I'm thinking it's not going to leave the collection any time soon. The guy who sold it to me said there was no controlling the ball, but once you get used to playing it, it stops feeling quite so "random." If it didn't have such a steep learning curve, I think it would much more highly regarded.

#14 3 years ago

Mine finally arrived yesterday. It's beautiful and absolutely wonderful to play (especially after a couple of brownies). No way anyones talking me out of this one. What a find.

orb1 (resized).jpgorb1 (resized).jpg

I think the gameplay is exceptional, seems like there's a lot of airswings sometimes, and it's hard to reach the top of the playfield, specially the top right loop shot, but wow.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Mine finally arrived yesterday. It's beautiful and absolutely wonderful to play (especially after a couple of brownies). No way anyones talking me out of this one. What a find.
[quoted image]
I think the gameplay is exceptional, seems like there's a lot of airswings sometimes, and it's hard to reach the top of the playfield, specially the top right loop shot, but wow.

Congrats.

#16 3 years ago

What's a good score on this machine? Bit hard with my bottom bumper not scoring, but had a good game this morning with a 300+ sec ball that got me to 912,000 odd.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

What's a good score on this machine? Bit hard with my bottom bumper not scoring, but had a good game this morning with a 300+ sec ball that got me to 912,000 odd.

That’s top 3 on both Pinside AND on the Pindigo app!
I think most people don’t log their scores on such obscure machines honestly.

#18 3 years ago

That's why i figured i'd ask here. The factory (i think)score on it at the moment is 1.55m.

#19 3 years ago

I've had 2 over the years, I do miss it.

Some info here: https://www.flippers.be/pinball/stern/orbitorone/orbitor_one.html

I was able to get in contact with some people who designed it:
https://www.flippers.be/stern_orbitor_one_history.html

and here's info on how to add a speech card (one of my machines had it missing) and some info about the revisions of the SB-300 board :
https://www.flippers.be/stern_orbitor_one_speech.html

1 week later
#20 3 years ago

I never thought i'd say this, but my pinball machine is going moldy.

How hard is it to get the perspex playfield off of the plastic base?

orb10 (resized).jpgorb10 (resized).jpg

orb11 (resized).jpgorb11 (resized).jpg

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I never thought i'd say this, but my pinball machine is going moldy.
How hard is it to get the perspex playfield off of the plastic base?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That looks like the usual “white fuzzies” this machine is plagued with. Captain Neo talked about it at length in his for sale post.

The vacuum-formed moonscape is not properly suspended and rubs against the plexiglass molded playfield. The moonscape rubbing becomes tiny white dust particles of plastic and clings to the playfield like dust on a static-charged balloon.

To take apart the playfield and clean those is a bitch and a half of work.
You have to first depopulate the playfield, then unscrew all the screws securing it to the top and bottom of the playfield mounts. Then you’ve got to separate the layers that are screwed together and slid into the rails.

It’s awful. The rails are used as a spacer, and the vacuum-formed playfield is so exceedingly delicate it feels as if it will break apart at any moment.

Here I circled all the places where the vacuum-formed plastic was rubbing and creating fuzzies. Most noticeably clear is the arrows. The ones by the flipper are messy and probably indicates the flipper itself may be pressing against the plastic playfield at some point.
DF23C67C-DCE3-4452-B13C-E3A6016E56C9.jpegDF23C67C-DCE3-4452-B13C-E3A6016E56C9.jpeg

Here you can see the playfield has multiple “peaks” that rub against the plexi. All the fuzzies have amassed near the insert light, probably something to do with the heat, I assume. Once you clean these areas (with extreme care) just touch-up the color and replace.
Perhaps CaptainNeo has recommendations on how to match the color and prevent this issue from reappearing.
2B4EBB03-8CA1-42F6-A1D9-D9E34448D723.jpeg2B4EBB03-8CA1-42F6-A1D9-D9E34448D723.jpeg

#22 3 years ago

Dunno, it looks like mold spores to me. It's even green in places. It's new, wasn't there when the machine was delivered two weeks ago. I was thinking that having it turned on 14 hours a day may be generating heat from the tube? When it goes down the back it'll only be turned on once or twice a week.

1 week later
#23 3 years ago

Is it possible to put LEDs in without taking the moonscape plastic off? At a glance I doubt it, but ya never know. Pinball people are creative.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Is it possible to put LEDs in without taking the moonscape plastic off? At a glance I doubt it, but ya never know. Pinball people are creative.

Yes because Orbitor 1 is the only pinball machine to NEVER have GI. There is only one large fluorescent tube under the playfield, just take it out and hook up color-changer strips instead.

Personally I’m going to custom light mine in a better way. Experimenting with the entirely dissembled playfield to find the best lighting effects and angles.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yes because Orbitor 1 is the only pinball machine to NEVER have GI. There is only one large fluorescent tube under the playfield, just take it out and hook up color-changer strips instead.
Personally I’m going to custom light mine in a better way. Experimenting with the entirely dissembled playfield to find the best lighting effects and angles.

I’ve been thinking about doing the exact same thing.
Was thinking about LED strips that change red, orange and yellow. Kind of a volcanic Martian surface.
Only machine I’ve ever considered doind some kind of “pin stadium” style lighting to.

Also thinking flame LEDs on the trails of the games name on the vacuform backglass and maybe a color changer on the planet.

#26 3 years ago

I meant the inserts, but looking at it again today, can the wood underside be taken off the metal chassis, allowing access to everything underneath? I just wanted to get an idea of what I'm getting into before ordering LEDs, plus the anti-flicker adapter. I couldn't find any stories here or elsewhere of people changing the bulbs in their Orbitor and if they had any tips or specifics as this is obviously a pretty unique playfield and not your basic "lift table, find bulbs, replace bulbs" sorta deal.

Pinballbulbs.com sells an Orbitor 1 LED kit with the optional (but seemingly required) flicker fix adapter or all new lamp board, but they don't mention what's in the kit. https://www.pinballbulbs.com/products/orbitor-1-pinball-led-kit

#27 3 years ago

The bulbs are easier to access than your standard game. They are all mounted in housings that pop right out. No need to do much more than lift the playfield.

The fluorescent tube is a pain to get out.

1 month later
#28 3 years ago

Are there supposed to be capacitors on the EOS switches? I see leads that where clipped.
If so, what value should they be?

I also have overly sensitive spinning bumpers. I’m wondering if the issue is linked to EOS caps or perhaps I need to track down a shorted diode in the switch matrix. Or maybe faults on the spinner opto boards.

#29 3 years ago

Thought I’d say hello and join the club. I’ve just acquired an Orbitor, been after one for a while and they certainly don’t appear often in the UK. It’s in fully playable condition but does need a complete going through as it’s been in storage for many years.

I’m assuming this is a no as my first google hasn’t revealed anything but are replacement rubber/foam rings available for the spinning pops?

1 week later
#30 3 years ago

I'm in! Found one in really nice condition, will enjoy playing this one until someone makes me "an offer I can't refuse"

20201031_230810 (resized).jpg20201031_230810 (resized).jpg
#31 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I also have overly sensitive spinning bumpers. I’m wondering if the issue is linked to EOS caps or perhaps I need to track down a shorted diode in the switch matrix. Or maybe faults on the spinner opto boards.

Problem Solved!

Once I removed the boards, I found cracked solder joints on the opto solder pads. Just a simple reflow stopped the phantom switch hits.

#32 3 years ago

Shot a video of mine, Pinball Chaos coming out tomorrow for a photo shoot.
Here's a walk through I shot today

#33 3 years ago

I shot this video with the camera behind the Orbitor drop target. Different perspective, I was bored..

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from kilgore:

Thought I’d say hello and join the club. I’ve just acquired an Orbitor, been after one for a while and they certainly don’t appear often in the UK. It’s in fully playable condition but does need a complete going through as it’s been in storage for many years.
I’m assuming this is a no as my first google hasn’t revealed anything but are replacement rubber/foam rings available for the spinning pops?

Not yet, I’m working on it, but it’s gonna be delayed due to the pandemic. Really haven’t been able to get much done in a while.
I will post any updates when I have some.

I was gonna started a club for Orbitor but there are too few people who own one and use it. Honestly, the best is the Classic Stern club yeoldpinplayer quoted. They only made games for 5 years and they’re all basically the same parts and circuit boards.
Orbitor is a special game, and the most unique ever made! However there are too few produced.
It would be like making a (Classic Stern) Iron Maiden or (Classic Stern) Viper club. There’s only like a few hundred that were made and maybe less than a hundred out in the wild.
Kinda like the Monday Night Football Club, it’s mostly dead as a door nail.
However if you’re interested follow my threads where I rebuilt an Orbitor 1: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orbitor-1-a-scratch-build-reaching-for-the-stars
Now this is related.

This is most likely due to the bearings going bad that hold the axle straight. If the bearings are shot then the motor will wobble which causes it to slow down. There is no way to fix this other than taking it to a small motor repair shop and have them rebuild it.
It will only get worse with time, as all Orbitor’s are.
BUT THERE IS HOPE!
Currently I’m taking the bold step and working on reproduction Spinning bumpers for O1! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-orbitor-1-spinning-bumper-replacement-interest-check

See quotes post for info and links.

4 months later
#35 3 years ago

Please see this post about those interested in a new clear PF. Trying to figure demand to st pricing for first run: see this thread;

Orbitor-1 Clear PF replacement part coming available.

4 months later
#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I’ve been thinking about doing the exact same thing.
Was thinking about LED strips that change red, orange and yellow. Kind of a volcanic Martian surface.
Only machine I’ve ever considered doind some kind of “pin stadium” style lighting to.
Also thinking flame LEDs on the trails of the games name on the vacuform backglass and maybe a color changer on the planet.

Hello. I’m new to the club. If anyone has pics of adding the led changing strips I wud lov to see them. Great idea.

#37 2 years ago

More
Hello. I’m new to the club. If anyone has pics of adding the led changing strips I wud lov to see them. Great idea.

#38 2 years ago

I have a backglass available:

ebay.com link: whalers9

Don't bid - that would be silly. MMAO here instead.

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpga (resized).jpga (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#39 2 years ago

Anyone know of a rules document for Orbitor 1 ?

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It's pretty quick to figure out. I find that never having both flippers up at the same time can lead to all sorts of ball returns too.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The instruction cards are pretty complete:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orbiter-1-modded-instruction-cards

#42 2 years ago

Ex-owner here! I've had two Orbitor 1's in my 'career' as a pin collector. While I love everything about it (and oddball games in general), my collection is just too small to make it a keeper.

My last O1 is part of the Dutch Pinball Museum's permanent collection now and available to play there. It's also featured in two pinball videos I made.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from BabyPac:

I have a backglass available:
ebay.com link: whalers9
Don't bid - that would be silly. MMAO here instead.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow I bought a spare on eBay 2 or 3 years ago for $150. And I had NEVER seen one for sale before that.

Quoted from Jappie:

Ex-owner here! I've had two Oribtor 1's in my 'career' as a pin collector. While I love everything about it (and oddball games in general), my collection is just too small to make it a keeper.
My last O1 is part of the Dutch Pinball Museum's permanent collection now and available to play there. It's also featured in two pinball videos I made.

Jappie’s videos are the best you’ll find and cover tons of stuff you never knew. I’ve surprised a few O1 owners with stuff they’d never heard before

#44 2 years ago

UK here. Been an owner for 2 years now. I take it to gaming events for everyone to experience and play. Such a unique game!

#45 2 years ago

O1 was the source of my first successful software mod in 2008. No more timed game! I've been looking back over my working directory (which is named 'o1hack'.... still) and boy, did I just not know what the hell I was doing then (relatively). (Although, it does work.... just eliminates the minimum time requirements)

It's available on IPDB if anyone wants to check it out. I owned 2 O1 at the same time once (package deal) and a complete parts playfield (sorry, most of those parts are gone.... the spinning bumpers went first, of course). I wanted to put one of them in the downstairs bathroom (no one used it) so you can go into the narrow bathroom, shut the door, and have a surreal experience with the game. Sadly, the game was too wide to fit in there (and probably didn't clear the toilet, either).

#46 2 years ago

Jappie’s videos are the best you’ll find and cover tons of stuff you never knew. I’ve surprised a few O1 owners with stuff they’d never heard before

Far too kind! Thank you!! I'm happy you enjoy them.

Quoted from slochar:

O1 was the source of my first successful software mod in 2008. No more timed game! I've been looking back over my working directory (which is named 'o1hack'.... still) and boy, did I just not know what the hell I was doing then (relatively). (Although, it does work.... just eliminates the minimum time requirements)

But what a very important mod it is! Thank you much for doing it! People (pinheads and non-pinheads) just don't understand why an Orbitor (with a regular game rom) just keeps spitting out balls.

I'm hoping against hope you will one time have the time and energy to work on the software of Stern's Lightning. Amazing game, apart from that idiotic situation where, during multiball, re-locked balls stay locked. Simply getting balls to eject after a re-lock would make that game -so- much better.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

I'm hoping against hope you will one time have the time and energy to work on the software of Stern's Lightning. Amazing game, apart from that idiotic situation where, during multiball, re-locked balls stay locked. Simply getting balls to eject after a re-lock would make that game -so- much better.

Well, 1/2 the work is already done, IIRC I commented up the lightning code a while ago I'll have to look around for that. I suppose the thing to do is let the ball go into the hole, score <something> and then eject it again.

I no longer have a lightning though so no way to test... can you test if I come up with something on it?

Also I recall on O1 when I had one.... my best ball time (or was it only game time?) was over 10 minutes. That was one hell of a game.

#48 2 years ago

slochar PM sent!

9 months later
#49 1 year ago

Anyone have a rubber ring chart for Orbitor 1? I've looked in the manual and a lot is wrong there, so I can't rely on it. my old ones are really stretched out so I can't tell what they were that way, either. They are "ABC" rings with numbers like "240" (sling) and "245" (long lower side rings)... are those referring to these?

https://www.allorings.com/O-Ring-AS568-Standard-Size-Chart

If so that may help me figure it out. Though a "245" is 4.359" ID, so I'm not sure what size would be best there... round up to 4.5"? I know I could buy a black or white kit from any of several vendors, but I was thinking about bringing in some color, so I'm really just trying to figure out what size goes where.

On another note, has anyone managed to figure out a part number for the upper spring (the one that sits above the coil, not below it) in the ball trap/lock mech? Mine is pretty mangled, I can't find anything in the manual, and my searches on the internet have been fruitless.

Thanks in advance!

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from OutpostKodelia:

Anyone have a rubber ring chart for Orbitor 1? I've looked in the manual and a lot is wrong there, so I can't rely on it.

How about making one? See any obvious errors with this?

PlayfieldParts_mod2.pngPlayfieldParts_mod2.png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orbitor-1-club-all-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.